Hydaelyn Role-Players
At home workout. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: At home workout. (/showthread.php?tid=11489)

Pages: 1 2

At home workout. - Ritual - 05-05-2015

I haven't got enough money to afford the gym and I was hoping to get fitter to, not really lose weight but just work-out and excercise, since I couldn't go to the gym I thought I was pretty screwed but nah that's not going to stop me. 

If there's any kinda people here who work-out and all that how would a broke dude like myself get fitter at home? Should I do 30 minute workouts daily doing two or three exercises for my arms, legs and abdomen, repeating the exercises ten-fifteen times like I've read? Or only say 30 minutes weekly? I have a decent amount of time to exercise so I'm not held back by too much work or anything. Also which exercises would you do for each part? Crunches for the abdomen, running for my legs etc.

This thread is also ok for anyone else looking for something similar not just myself, if anyone else would like any similar advice I'm ok with you asking this thread's for everyone not just myself. I know it would be better to go on a workout site but I'd prefer to stick with this community because I just like it here << >>.

EDIT: Quick edit to explain my goal, I'd like to aim for a Selection Course for the UKs number 1 Airsoft team, it's a scaled down version of the SAS selection, it includes many different physical and mental tests the mental stuff I'm ok with it's just my physical fitness needs going up in pretty much every aspect, I'm not unfit but out of 356 candidates only 43 have passed so I want to hit this hard.

RE: At home workout. - Seye Qhesu - 05-05-2015

(05-05-2015, 05:46 PM)Ritual Wrote: I haven't got enough money to afford the gym and I was hoping to get fitter to, not really lose weight but just work-out and excercise, since I couldn't go to the gym I thought I was pretty screwed but nah that's not going to stop me. 

If there's any kinda people here who work-out and all that how would a broke dude like myself get fitter at home? Should I do 30 minute workouts daily doing two or three exercises for my arms, legs and abdomen, repeating the exercises ten-fifteen times like I've read? Or only say 30 minutes weekly? I have a decnt amount of time to exercise so I'm not held back by too much work or anything. Also which exercises would you do for each part? Crunches for the abdomen, running for my legs etc.

This thread is also ok for anyone else looking for something similar not just myself, if anyone else would like any similar advice I'm ok with you asking this thread's for everyone not just myself. I know it would be better to go on a workout site but I'd prefer to stick with this community because I just like it here << >>.
Planking. Sit ups. Pushups, windmill, bike (get on your back and put your feet in the air and move them like you are riding a bike)

More here
http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/fitness-programs-article/2863/Top-25-At-Home-Exercises/

RE: At home workout. - Bryn - 05-05-2015

Body weight exercises are good for beginners, but will only get you so far if you're looking for big strength gains. So you have to ask yourself what your main goal is; fitness, strength or physique? Or perhaps you're training for a specific event. At any rate, you will eventually need to tailor your training to your goals.

Firstly, there's a ton of free stuff out there for you to utilise. You may want to begin with something like http://www.hundredpushups.com/ (please always warm up before exercise, particularly before anything to do with the back and shoulder muscles. An inflamed rotator cuff is no fun, lemme tell ya).

Apps I recommend:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/kettlebell-workout-360-free/id567925586?mt=8 (I can't recommend kettlebells enough. They take some technique, but result in an excellent work out)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/seconds-pro-interval-timer/id363978811?mt=8

http://www.clearskyapps.com/portfolio/couch-to-5k (Don't neglect cardio.)

Zombies, run! (turning the monotony of running into a fight for survival against zombies which chase you based off of your GPS data. Complete with voice-acted storyline and a town building mini game where you collect resources on your runs! It's great.)

As a beginner, don't bother worrying yet about optimal training times, split workouts, etc. You'll only overcomplicate things. The fact is, beginners can expect to see rapid gains on any training regimen with good rest and diet. Eventually you will plateau with what you are doing, and that's where the concept of progressive overload comes in. But you don't need to worry about that yet.

Here's a book you may find useful:
http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430864116&sr=8-1&keywords=you+are+your+own+gym

And depending on how broke you are, it wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in a suspension trainer.
http://www.amazon.com/WOSS-3000-Equalizer-Trainer-Black/dp/B005CV8LBW/ref=sr_1_1?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1430864154&sr=1-1&keywords=suspension+trainer

Happy training!

RE: At home workout. - Divisor - 05-05-2015

You're looking for bodyweight fitness routines. They're all about using your own body as resistance for exercises, as well as common household items like gallons of milk, a table, etc. There's a whole subreddit I like to frequent that goes into exercises in detail, ranging from beginner to advanced.

RE: At home workout. - Aya - 05-05-2015

You can get absolutely amazing workouts at home rather than the gym.  It just takes discipline and dedication :-]

Good luck!

RE: At home workout. - Aduu Avagnar - 05-05-2015

May I introduce you to NerdFitness?

It is a website designed for nerds like us to hang out with other nerds whilst getting fit.

it also features this rather nice bodyweight circuit training for beginers

RE: At home workout. - cherrybomb - 05-05-2015

(05-05-2015, 06:28 PM)Aya Wrote: discipline and dedication
These are the key words right here.  When you're paying money for a gym membership it's way easier to get yourself up and out there even if you're not the most disciplined type. Gotta get that money's worth, right? For a lot of people without that incentive, excuses become increasingly compelling and procrastination more and more commonplace. It's very important to develop the discipline to be able to force yourself into a workout even if you're not feeling it, and push yourself enough that you continue to get benefiting returns.

I'm not sure if you're out of shape and looking to make some changes or if you're just looking to stay fit, but either way, anyone physically capable of doing it really benefits from at least 30 minutes of cardio a day. Jogging, biking, aerobics - anything to get you moving and breathing. In fact that's probably the best way to open for your "real" workout if you're looking to get into strength training or anything more serious.

Don't be afraid to start slow and work your way up. You want to test your limits and steadily improve, but not at the risk of hurting yourself and resetting everything back to zero. (ask me how i know!! shin splints suck >:I)

Compete with yourself; record your progress in a fitness log, and try to do a little bit better each time. The sense of accomplishment you get when you push past a plateau is absolutely exhilarating, and it's that feeling that's going to keep you going. Having immediate, visual proof in the form of an ongoing log makes it way more visceral.

ed: oh, I just spotted your edit. Oops. I wanted to keep things general in case you were just starting to work out, but since you're active a lot of this stuff is a no-brainer. I'll try and get more specific when I have time tomorrow.

RE: At home workout. - Bopdoot - 05-05-2015

If you want to work out at home, I'd honestly invest in some free weights and a bench.  Though, honestly all gyms aren't THAT expensive, so I wouldn't rule gyms out completely.  Shop around for something affordable.

But I can't stress enough how important strength training is.  Not just for aesthetics, but it also improves your quality of life.  And as far as "toning" (I hate this word with a passion...) you can't "tone" what you don't have.  Cardio is important for endurance, but strength training really goes the extra mile.

Whether you use weights or simply bodyweight, a very important rule to achieve results: go to failure.  This means, whatever exercise you're doing, do it until you couldn't do another rep even if you wanted to.  Going to absolute muscle failure is very important because if you're not breaking down that muscle tissue, it will not grow back stronger.

Another extremely (if not THE MOST) important part is your diet.  You need to be consuming at least 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight.  Make sure you're eating healthy carbohydrates, and make sure you're getting reasonable portions of healthy fats.  You can work out and work out and work out, but your body won't reward you unless you're giving it the good food it needs to grow.  Avoid processed foods, choose things with minimal ingredients but IDEALLY cook everything fresh.

My favorite resource is http://www.bodybuilding.com/
It has workouts, trainers, recipes, articles, an extensive exercise database that you can use to search exercises for specific body parts (and they include videos to show you how to do them Smile), forums to ask questions, a store to purchase equipment and supplements (I get all my protein powder from here, best prices!) and basically ANYTHING you could use to figure out how to start your journey.

Stay hungry for your goal, remind yourself that every decision you make either works TOWARDS or AWAY from it.

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you."

RE: At home workout. - C'kayah Polaali - 05-07-2015

I'll take the opposite tack as Boopdot and suggest you start with something simple that doesn't require you to go get anything. The 100 pushups program is quite good, for instance. If you want one exercise you can do at home, pushups aren't a bad way to go.

Now before all the weight-heads chime in about balanced workouts, I'll say that the big point of starting with something like this isn't that it's the only thing you need to do. Instead, the main point is to start you doing something on a regular basis (100 pushups is a 3 time a week workout) that will show you results quickly. It can help you build the habit of working out. Taking that as a starting point, it's pretty easy to add something like a regular run or bike ride, some planks, et voila! You've got a good, basic home workout!

RE: At home workout. - LiadansWhisper - 05-07-2015

I'm gonna toss something out of left field:

Cut your sugar intake.

Not just from sugary drinks.  Look at the processed foods in your house.  Did you know that most cans of soup - even healthy ones - have added sugar? They add excess sugar to things like bread (you do need some sugar for it to rise, but they add more than is needed), pasta (0 reason for sugar - no yeast in pasta!), peanut butter, ketchup, even tomato sauce.  Pasta sauces almost always have added sugar, and so do most "diet" foods.

Try to cut out as much processed food from your diet as you can and watch your sugar intake.  You're only supposed to have, at most, 9 teaspoons (37.5 grams) a day for men, or 6 teaspoons (25 grams) for women.

Edited to add: They don't always tell you it's Sugar either:

agave nectar
barley malt
beet sugar
blackstrap molasses
brown rice syrup
brown sugar
buttered sugar
cane juice crystals
cane juice
cane sugar
caramel
carob syrup
caster sugar (superfine sugar)
coconut sugar
corn sweetener
corn syrup
corn syrup solids
crystalline fructose
date sugar
demerara sugar
dextran
diastatic malt powder
diastase
ethyl maltol
evaporated cane juice
fructose
fruit juice concentrates
galactose
glucose
golden sugar
golden syrup
high-fructose corn syrup
honey
invert sugar (inverted sugar)
lactose
malt syrup
maltodextrin
maltose (malt sugar)
maple syrup
molasses syrup
muscovado sugar
organic raw sugar
oat syrup
panela (raspadura)
panocha (penuche or brown sugar fudge candy)
confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar/icing sugar)
rice bran syrup
rice syrup
sorghum
sorghum syrup
sucrose (table sugar)
sugar
syrup
treacle
tapioca syrup
turbinado sugar (raw sugar)
yellow sugar

As a rule of thumb, if it says "malt," has a suffix of "-ose," or includes the word "syrup," it's sugar.

RE: At home workout. - Aya - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 02:51 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Pasta sauces almost always have added sugar, and so do most "diet" foods.
To be fair.. marinara sauce really is supposed to be sweetened, its part of the flavor ^_^

I'm so doing the 100 push ups training!  I've been needing to work on my upper body strength again after a shoulder injury last summer :-]

RE: At home workout. - SicketySix - 05-07-2015

You actually don't even really need to exercise, just need to eat decent and maintain a decently active lifestyle.

It cracks me up when someone decides to be healthy and turn their life into non-stop exercises, guzzling protein shakes and horking down salads left and right.....for 2 weeks and falling out.

Just need to eat decent, go out and walk the dog, go to the mall, go fishing or something or even take a bike ride. It's all you need to stay in shape.

RE: At home workout. - LiadansWhisper - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 04:08 PM)Casden Reeves Wrote: You actually don't even really need to exercise, just need to eat decent and maintain a decently active lifestyle.

It cracks me up when someone decides to be healthy and turn their life into non-stop exercises, guzzling protein shakes and horking down salads left and right.....for 2 weeks and falling out.

Just need to eat decent, go out and walk the dog, go to the mall, go fishing or something or even take a bike ride. It's all you need to stay in shape.

Not everyone is the same, and there is absolutely a place for building muscle tone (especially for sports and the like).

RE: At home workout. - SicketySix - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 04:11 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 04:08 PM)Casden Reeves Wrote: You actually don't even really need to exercise, just need to eat decent and maintain a decently active lifestyle.

Not everyone is the same, and there is absolutely a place for building muscle tone (especially for sports and the like).
After re-reading the opening post I realized this wasn't about losing weight, so my post does not really pertain to building muscle, but more pertains to just being healthy.

RE: At home workout. - Bopdoot - 05-08-2015

Well that's more the fault of the person not having willpower and drive than the concept of weightlifting.  I changed my lifestyle cold turkey and I've been at it for over a year and a half, with a break in between only because I had to have surgery lol.

And people that lift don't "guzzle protein shakes" they use them to supplement their protein macros for the day.  Don't be ignant, jussaiyan.

Building muscle IS healthy, regardless of if you do it in a gym or with your body weight.  Like I said, it improves quality of life to actually have strength.