Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hello, is there anybody out there?! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hello, is there anybody out there?! (/showthread.php?tid=1125)

Hello, is there anybody out there?! - Cole - 01-22-2012

Hey all! I'm a returning beta/launch player, really looking for a good RP experience, and hoping to make a few lasting friends along the way. I recently tried Star Wars: The Old Republic, and though the game was fun it felt like more of the same all over again and didn't really have the best system in place for RP. So I have a few questions, such as: How active is the RP community? Is the RP server still Besaid? Is the game currently in a "new player friendly" state? and lastly, are there any resources that I should look into before beginning RP(for example, is there a history of Eorzea written up anywhere that might help me RP a little better? Other than that I'm pretty excited to be returning to Eorzeapedia after all the improvements that seem to have been made since launch.

--MMORPG background
I've played many many MMORPGs, from Phantasy Star Online and Final Fantasy 11, to Beta Testing World of Warcraft, DCUO, SWTOR, AION, etc. I led raids, ran guilds, made expert pvp battleground/warzone strategies. To say I've seen it all is probably an overstatement, but I would like to think that I've seen most of it all.

--RP experience
RPing is something I've done quite a bit of, since I was in junior high, starting in a friends parents garage playing some pen and paper D&D (10 years ago?!) and ever since. Like I said in my little introduction up there, I tried it in SWTOR but something about the UI just didn't work for me when it came time to RP.

--Character ideas/info
My original idea was to continue the story of my FF11 character, while making the necessary alterations to his history, but I feel now that maybe starting a whole new character might be the best route. I'm going to be rolling a Midland Hyur Male, named Cole Abarenth. He's a young pugilist, and as for right now thats all I have, I'm going to mull over some details during my downtime at work today though! So when I figure more out, I'll post in response to this thread!

--How did you learn about the coalition?
Back when the game was still in Beta, I was a pretty avid poster on eorzeapedia.com and I saw the name pop up several times. I finally remembered it when I was talking to my friend about picking the game back up.

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Casual, moderate, or heavy?
So long as the system is to my liking, and I can find people who would also be interested, I would really enjoy some moderate to heavy rp.

--Anything from real life you’re comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)
I'm 22 years old, Male, have one dog, live with 3 roommates, and I'm from Maine. I love gaming, and reading, and watching Kung Fu movies. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Re: Hello, is there anybody out there?! - Merri - 01-22-2012

Hello! Welcome back. Always great to see returning players - we've been having a lot of them in recent days, as well as new players all together.

I'll take some time here to answer a few of your questions. The RP community is actually in an up-swing. Things were in a slow, downward arc for awhile there, but recent events have seen it once again on the rise - at a quickening pace, too. This can really only go up as we get closer and closer to 2.0, at which point I'm sure we'll see a massive explosion in the community.

While the RPC might not seem very lively these days (we're working on it!), the community is very much so alive in-game.

The un-official RP server is still Besaid.

The game is in fact very new player friendly. More so than it ever has been in the past. Grouping can be a bit difficult at the start, as a large majority of the player base has already leveled most of their classes out of the lower levels, but server mergers due within the next month or so will see a spike in lower level activity. Either way, the game is very solo friendly when you are unable to find a group.

As far as a history of Eorzea goes, there's bits and pieces scattered everywhere. The wiki is under construction at the moment, as we're trying to fill it up with things other than character profiles. From lore to locations and everything in-between.

There are several threads about with random tidbits of lore if you browse the forums. Some have little facts about Eorzea, like this thread for example. Naturally, there's lore about Eorzea on FFXIV's main site (And the lodestone), as well as plenty of people in-game who are well versed in lore.

There's an OOC linkshell as well, which is something I personally would recommend to a returning/new player. It's a helpful tool for integrating yourself both into the RP community in-game (as we have many members from many different shells, as well as freelancers), and FFXIV's RP in general.

Bit of a long winded post, but, hopefully that answered some of your questions. Hope to see you in-game!

Re: Hello, is there anybody out there?! - Cole - 01-22-2012

Excellent! Thank you so much for the speedy response! I'm really looking forward to getting back to Eorzea now! I'll certainly take a longer look around the site, and write up a full bio of Cole here soon. Many thanks!

Re: Hello, is there anybody out there?! - Smiling River - 01-28-2012

Welcome to the RP community!