Hydaelyn Role-Players
Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore (/showthread.php?tid=11177)

Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - Alothia - 04-20-2015

A friend of mine posted this on their FB page, and I thought it was really interesting: 
http://kotaku.com/why-people-say-dragons-dogma-online-looks-like-final-fa-1698913797

[Image: aamu4uoz4g2cbyisi0uj.gif]12
As net users in Japan have pointed out, the Dragon’s Dogma Online interface seems to resemble the user interface in Final Fantasy XIV. That’s not surprising. Not at all.
After an initial rocky rollout, a revamped Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn was released in 2013 and has become a success for Square Enix. Capcom is releasing Dragon’s Dogma Onlinesometime this year in Japan.

But yes, most MMOs use a similar layout for user interface. If anything, Final Fantasy XIV is heavily influenced by successful online games that have gone before (thanks, Blizzard!). So of course the games will resemble each other! But, beyond that, there are some other similarities fans have noticed.
For example, via 2ch, here are the pop-up windows in Final Fantasy XIV:
[Image: sfqfjuzdyn2ohvhh2tgc.jpg]
And here is Dragon’s Dogma Online:
[Image: z1pguehtvuwhldutlonh.jpg]
Here is the cross-hotbar in Final Fantasy IV, which Square Enix developed for consoles:
[Image: mv3bmcp74y7s16rveonj.jpg]
[Photo: baronffxiv]
And the shortcut bar in Dragon’s Dogma Online—which might look too much like FFXIV’s shortcut:
[Image: onvlon9auxgejojrgdme.jpg]
Via Hachima, here is the teleport in Final Fantasy XIV:
[Image: kd3m4c5zyric2z1qtp1h.jpg]
And this is the base point Dragon’s Dogma Online:
[Image: gpua4bzqz6pol10jvkmb.jpg]
Because of the fantasy settings in both games, there are other similarities, such as a hydra appearing in FFXIV and one appearing in Dragon’s Dogma Online. Those similarities seem like coincidences and genre conventions. Big deal, whatever.

I mean, Final Fantasy XIV didn’t invent the hydra, nor did it invent the MMORPG. Still, certain elements of Dragon’s Dogma Online do seem familiar. And while the UI is important, nobody will keep playing Dragon’s Dogma Online if the interface is good, but the rest of the game is crap. They also won’t play it if it seems like a lesser FFXIV. It’s gotta be good. Or, at least, good enough. 

RE: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - Sophia_Grave - 04-20-2015

Good. FF14 is the example right now, and frankly, Dragon's Dogma for the 360 was excellent, so I'm not worried about the game becoming a straight rip.

RE: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - Warren Castille - 04-20-2015

That character screen UI and item box are pretty damning. I initially thought "Pfft, MMOs rip off each other all the time" but... Seriously, look at those HP/ST numbers compared to the HP/MP bars. Same color and the font looks near the same too.

More games should steal the crossbar system, though. Love this scheme.

RE: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - Alothia - 04-20-2015

It's not a bad thing. Honestly, makes me proud to have played XIV as long as I have. I just think it's interesting how similar the two look.

RE: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - Steel Wolf - 04-20-2015

Games--MMOs especially--will either innovate or iterate, and most frequently the latter. If I were Yoshi-P, I'd be rich as fuck and not working a desk job flattered that someone thought enough of my team's design ideas to practically rip them off.

I also agree with Warren--the Cross Hotbar is probably one of the best control schemes for a console MMO I've ever seen.

RE: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - Kage - 04-20-2015

It's a little sad that they couldn't use an actual in-game screen for that battle gif since as far as I can recall, the image is a 1.0 mock up.

The UI and image of the character screen though.

LOL

RE: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - TheLastCandle - 04-20-2015

I really enjoyed Dragon's Dogma and Dark Arisen. They were great games and I always thought the lack of multiplayer was a shame. I'm almost certain it won't be a giant ripoff of FFXIV, but.. yeah, it's hard to deny those similarities!

RE: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - Clover - 04-20-2015

I've been quite eager for Dragon's Dogma Online, will definitely play it. I already guessed that Capcom was going to try their luck because SE has been successful, and I'm very glad for that. As an MMORPGs fan, I'm a bit sick of Korean companies, so I can only celebrate that another big Japanese company wants to join the online gaming world (especially with the online version of such an awesome game).

RE: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - Steel Wolf - 04-20-2015

The only MMO that I care about Capcom releasing for the States is a Monster Hunter Online.

Dammit. :<

RE: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - Qhora Bajihri - 04-20-2015

I initially thought the FFXIV shot in the first gif /was/ the one in the new game. Now /that/ would be stealing. As it is, it's just MMO-fare. It's not even similar enough to make me raise an eyebrow.

RE: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - allgivenover - 04-20-2015

Other games copying XIV is a good sign.

RE: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - Oscare - 04-20-2015

My issue:

WHERE IS MONSTER HUNTER ONLINE, CAPCOM.

WHERE?!

RE: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - K'nahli - 04-20-2015

I'm trying to look at this as something similar to an online version of Monster Hunter, haha... so I am really excited to see what happens!

RE: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - Iex - 04-20-2015

(04-20-2015, 10:30 AM)Oscare Wrote: My issue:

WHERE IS MONSTER HUNTER ONLINE, CAPCOM.

WHERE?!

Only in japan some time ago there was a Monster Hunter Online. Like 200 people attacking the same monster that was about the size of an island (bigger than the desert one)

I am just sad Monster Hunter 4 won't be on the Wii U. =\

RE: Dragon's Dogma Online stealing FFXIV's UI hardcore - Edda - 04-20-2015

Japan does not make many MMOs (and when they do they are usually SHIT) so it is hardly surprising.

Imitation is the best form of flattery.