Hydaelyn Role-Players
Original Lore? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Original Lore? (/showthread.php?tid=11093)

Original Lore? - Aaron - 04-13-2015

So, I've been writing a story that has about 77 chapters now, and it has drawn quite the views on another forum from members and guests alike. What got people really interested, as with every great story. Is the Lore by which my story was created through. So, I was also wondering if anyone here has ever made lore for a story they wrote (all original, not fan fiction) and if they could share it.

For an example, this is part of my lore for the story I am writing. Some call it avatar reminiscent but it's way different. (Everything within the spoiler is copy pasted from the note pad on my tablet which I originally wrote it in)
Show Content

I'm interested to see if anyone else has detailed lore they created themselves and what did they get their inspirations from or how they put it together ^^ with all the creative rpers here there's bound to be someone besides me, right? Lol

RE: Original Lore? - Titor - 04-13-2015

Wow that is a really great summery of lore!

Titor himself is actually an original character to an original universe. His universe looks simple on the front but is actually very, very complex.

I will kind of summarize it in a tl;dr version

His universe is kind of an alternate future of the real world. It is not exactly a direct future of our real world, but has a lot of similarities to it.

The world is much more militaristic as it has been at war for a long time. Pretty much everyone contributes directly to the cause in one way or another. Many requirements to enlist in the military had been abolished as they just wanted more bodies for the cause. In fact, they highly encourage sick but able-bodied people to join, to give them a 'noble' death (This is how Titor got enlisted, since he was anemic)

There are aliens. There is not a big known presence of the aliens. There is not a war against the aliens. They are kind of about and in hiding, harvesting the wounded or dead off the battlefield for experimentation.

Technology is advanced, but not terribly advanced. Humankind lost a lot of their scientific progress when the war started, since all resources ended up being devoted to it or military technologies.

The war started over a misfire of a new weapon, an accident, that spanned into a war that lasted many, many years and involved most, if not all of the countries.

Genetic experimentation and cybernetics experiments existed, as a result there are some mutated creatures (Half animal, half human) that would not be in the nice antho version that most series portray them as. They are, for the most part, abominations. A bird-human that has wings on their head and feet and feathers growing in patchy parts of their body, a cat-human who had human ears that are grown over with flesh, and painfully near-deaf cat ears on his head (resulting in brain damage since the holes for the ears on top of the head formed differently than would be on a human). Things like that. 

Cybernetics experiments were a bit less gruesome, though still inhumane. Human bodies controlled only by AIs, and stuff. However all of these experiments are just emerging, and the experiments usually died off very soon after reaching maturity (Which was usually an accelerated maturity to cause them to age to adulthood after a few months)

Both the experiments are done kind of on the downlow. They are not illegal, nor are they legal. People will protest their ethics, but in the end, progression and 'the cause' are put over the calls of those against it. 

The universe is also a multiverse universe. There is a common, fixed point across the universes called the Arc. The Arc is a very complex topic, so not really going to write much about it here, just that the universe heavily focuses on multiverse theories and paradoxes and alternate outcomes. 

I had been wanting to write a book on Titor's canon universe, however I usually lacked motivation to do so (which lead to only a few excerpts being written). Maybe for NaNoWriMo sometime I will try to get a first book done. It would definitely be a series.

RE: Original Lore? - Aaron - 04-13-2015

Thanks Titor ^^ what I posted wasn't originally that hood off the bat.

My initial idea was gods the size of super volcanos and animals made of fire and ice. As you can see I toned it all down and added a bit more.

And your story sounds pretty neat. The military style futuristic stuff is reminiscent of the Crysis series if you've played it. 

And I also am curious about the /abomination/ human animals. That sounds like it'd be nightmarish to look at lol

RE: Original Lore? - Gegenji - 04-14-2015

I've been fiddling with a world that was originally a custom DnD setting on and off for years now. I've been meaning to do something with it, but I haven't quite figured out what - so all that happens is more details are added to the races and such as ideas and concepts hit me.

The initial "history" of the world is not unlike Polynesian creation myths. In the beginning, there is nothing but a vaguely sentient chaotic infinitude (a nod to Po) - things are randomly created and just as randomly absorbed back into the primordial soup-god. After countless eons of this, a god-being who can control the chaos is born from it (Ao).

So, this new god of Order takes the chaotic soup and shapes it - creating the lands and seas and skies. As he works, the chaos keeps trying to cause problems - floods, earthquakes, storms. He creates life, chaos warps them into monsters. An eon-long battle of attrition between a freshly born god and an eternal chaotic being.

Of course, the former - even with all his might - grows tired. He finally takes a bit of himself and - along with more of the chaotic matter, makes a "perfect" race to safeguard his creations while he rests. Then, with them set to their task, he wraps the world about himself like a blanket and falls into slumber.

Things obviously don't go as planned - while they're not as instantly mutable as the previous creations due to the bit of God in them, there's still enough to tamper with. And Chaos does, slowly seeding anarchy and entropy amongst them. Issues arise and the words of his creations reach into the God's dreams and, in his slumber, he creates demigods to handle them. It's too dark - a sun deity is born. Now it's too hot - moon deity follows.

Things continue like this, Chaos' machinations seeping into the People and - through them - into the slumbering God, tainting his dreams. Chaotic events that had once ceased rise again - natural disasters and monsters, this time being caused by the dark dreams of the slumbering God. Even his People are no longer what they used to be - having splintered off into a variety of sentient beings that all believe they're closest to the original People and more or less blame the rest for their "fall from grace."

I had a lot of fun with the races - I wanted some familiarity with the "normal" fantasy races, but I wanted some exotic twist to them to. Each one, rather than just being humanoid mammals and the like, are a bit more oddball. The "elves" are actually more like dryads mixed with mandragoras mixed with ents - bulbs that grow into roving plant people who ultimately settle down to become mostly stationary tree-beings. "Dwarves" are an ant-like insect people who actually consume the metals and gems they find in their tunneling. My favorite is probably the Tungis (the term is both singular and plural) - a "cannibalistic" fungus race that has blooms like jellyfish or locusts, and believe that eating something will pass along a bit of their power to them (and, if they consume enough of the other races, will "reascend" back into their original forms).

All of this is floating around in my head and in various notes on my phone and home computer. World details such as the names and defined layouts of continents and the various oceans and such are still a bit more sketchy, but every once in a while I get more ideas which get added to the "pile." Most recently was the idea that the Man-analogues (a rodent folk rather than just "humans in a fantasy setting") aren't actually considered adults until the fur on their tails is shed. Which led to the idea of the children often being referred to as "fuzzlings." Just like how "Tungis" is also used as an insult to someone who eats a lot.

It's all quite fun to think about and muse on, but I'm forever critical about my own work... and thus can never really get quite motivated to do something more with it. Eventually I might drum up the courage and start writing the tale of a fuzzling who, inspired by a roving troupe of entertainers, goes out into the world in search of adventure. Likely cobbled together from several story ideas I've thought up in the past and never really followed through on. Most of which were in a more default fantasy-style setting with generic fantasy races.

Will just have to see.

RE: Original Lore? - Aaron - 04-20-2015

Here's a preview of the lore I'm creating for my friends horror story. He wanted a christian themed Apocalypse involving demons and churches. So its a little some the I worked up.

Synopsis - The story of Apocalypse takes place an unknown amount of time after the end of the modern world. However, this universe is not the same as the one in reality (obviously). So, this threads to elaborate on the lore of Apocalypse and also spark more interest in writing for it should people want to.
----------------------------------------------------------

The Apocalypse itself - How it happened as of right now is unknown, historians, or, the people still alive, hypothesize the end to have occurred over two hundred years before the current time, the beasts are said to have originated a decade or two after the end. Referred to as the "Cleansers" by the holy churches that still pray to the heavens for salvation, the beasts that ravage the world are malformed ferocious monsters that devour any living thing they see leaving most of the wildlife and human race either extinct or near extinction.

Factions - The factions of the story which will play a part in Apocalypse, ranging from the blood thirsty beasts to the holy churches and even the satanists. These factions vary in size, purpose and strengths, each playing a major ally or enemy to Drake and his crew throughout the story.

The Holy Churches - 

"They're our saviors so they want us to believe. . . yet they hide out in their Churches blessed by their Holy incense. . . so the beasts can't get in. . . only once a fucking month, twice if you're lucky. .. Do you get to see their silver lined blades and polar robes wash across these hell damned lands to cleanse then temporarily. Then? Tch, then they vanish and let the demons build right back up." - ???????

Known as the "Saviors", this group of sparse humans prospered several decades after the end, gathering survivors and somehow unifying across the entire world as an organization. Some people conjecture the Holy Churches became so organized globally because they were pre planned before the end of the world leading to rumors the churches know what caused the Apocalypse. They are known to be able to repel beasts and even "purify" them according to rumors. They are armed with silver edged and gunned weapons of various shapes and sizes and "purified" bullets, ammunition drenched in holy water and blessed with prayer that are said to cleanse the impurities of the beasts. They however do not mainly hunt the monsters as most think, not anymore at the least. Their main targets now have been wiping out the Heretics and the Satanists. The Holy churches are the most organized and tactical of the three, thus they have the largest known territory in control as well as the most influence among what little population of sane humans still live.

Their attire consists of all black or white robes and a hooded cloak thrown over it giving the appearance of grim reapers as they comb the lands twice a month /cleansing/ the beasts and the Heretics and Satanists. They are marked with the shiny silver cross necklace slung around their arms, as if it was engraved into their skins. Holy Church men and women are highly skilled almost seemingly inhuman in abilities. A simple duo of a Holy church man and woman has been known to slay an entire mob of beasts and heretics.

Each individual Holy church is led by a Cleric.

The Heretics - 

"They say they were amassed by conspiracy theories. . . then one. . . then two. . . then three. . . oh. . . the people just kept coming. . . the Churches started acting. . . rebellion began. . .

The Heretics. . . were born. . ." - ??????

Non believers of the Holy Churches that amassed shortly after the conspiracy theorists of the dying population of humans banded together all over the world (not at the same time like the Holy Churches, the Heretics largely formed whenever and however but have enough similar ideals to be classed as an organization) accused said churches of being the bringers of the apocalypse. The Heretics to some are heroes in a sense as they fight to bring down the large and powerful churches throughout the world and find a way to return civilization. Other believe the Heretics are the ones that actually brought upon the end, as the bodies of baby monsters have periodically been found within the lairs of the Heretics when the Churches crushed them to almost near annihilation years ago. Since then, the Heretics have grown more powerful and tactical as well as organized. Their weapons are more uncanny and unpredictable as well as their style, giving them an advantage over the Holy Churches soft metal silver weapons made specifically for beasts. 

They are distinguished by the dirty cloaks and clothing they wear, giving them a sense of unorganizable. They carry uncanny weapons like scythes, meat cleavers, flintlock pistols, stakes, pitchforks and torches. They travel in mobs outside of their main bases searching for beasts to kill, or holy church men to put their heads on pikes for display.

They lead themselves with a survival of the fittest type mechanism.

The Satanists - 

"Madmen. . . all of them. . . all i dare to speak of them. . less the churches come purify my tongue by cutting it out." - ??????

The devils worshippers and the ones most think were the cause of the Apocalypse. This faction is mainly a myth hidden by the Holy Churches but exposed by the Heretics. Enacting sacrificial blood rituals, painting runes in the blood of women and children, and even going so far as using dark magics, the satanists have become beastmen themselves along with the natural encroaching of the monsters. However they are no allies to the monsters, in fact the two factions are blood enemies contrary to belief and relentless kill each other with every waking breath. They are mainly focused in america however, at least so far, no word of Satanists have been recalled or documented in other continents. These men and women of the beast blood are said to have corrupted themselves into accepting the monsters that eat every source of life to the point of becoming beasts themselves. However being abominations to the original monsters as the church says, they are relentlessly assaulted by all factions in a bloody war.  They are said to wish to become one with the monsters, as to avoid anymore pain and suffering. . .

Their appearance are only said to be grotesque and hideously beast like. . . and that their clothes are scarred deep with their own blood.