Hydaelyn Role-Players
Donations: Support the RPC! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Forum Announcements (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: Donations: Support the RPC! (/showthread.php?tid=10399)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Kage - 03-02-2015

(03-02-2015, 03:34 PM)Dogberry Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 03:28 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 02:50 PM)Dogberry Wrote: brb forming a lobby PAC to influence the mods.

This implies we're corruptible.

I happen to know for a fact at least a few of you are.

Sharkbag.
I already started in on it.
/nutkin

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - allgivenover - 03-02-2015

Been wanting to do this for ages, pledged.

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Gegenji - 03-02-2015

Aaaand pledged, for all the good times I've had both here and on FFXIV thanks to the folks I've met here. Blush

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - ChewableMorphine - 03-02-2015

I guess I can toss in my five cents bucks. Glad to support a site that I love so much. Done and done!

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Desu Nee - 03-02-2015

I'll donate when I get my effin payment.

It's your fault Flynt.

So... because this is the -second- of March does that mean pledges aren't until April?

Edit: IF SO. THE MAGIC ADMIN DROPPED HIS HAT ON THIS ONE. I SHALL OFFER YOU A BERET FOR YOUR EFFORTS.

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-02-2015

(03-02-2015, 06:06 PM)Kage Wrote: So... because this is the -second- of March does that mean pledges aren't until April?

Edit: IF SO. THE MAGIC ADMIN DROPPED HIS HAT ON THIS ONE. I SHALL OFFER YOU A BERET FOR YOUR EFFORTS.

Perhaps that was the entire point. Not only is it a Monday (when traffic should be very high while people are bored at work/school), but it's the day AFTER such a payment could be done. We'll have an entire month to consider donating.

#conspiracytheorizing

(03-02-2015, 06:01 PM)Desu Nee Wrote: I'll donate when I get my effin payment.

It's your fault Flynt.

Hah, see that? I crowdfund with my SHEER PRESENCE.

Wuv you Cookie Heart

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Blue - 03-02-2015

Out of curiosity, where will these donations go to? Is there some project in mind for the site that requires an amount of cash expense (server upgrade, I don't know)?

(03-02-2015, 07:41 PM)Blue Wrote: Out of curiosity, where will these donations go to? Is there some project in mind for the site that requires an amount of cash expense (server upgrade, I don't know)?

It takes money to run this site, and if we pitch in, not only does it stay alive, but gets new features. Think of it as an investment to further improve your RPC experience. Check the pledge bonuses for specifics Thumbsup

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - FreelanceWizard - 03-02-2015

(03-02-2015, 07:41 PM)Blue Wrote: Out of curiosity, where will these donations go to? Is there some project in mind for the site that requires an amount of cash expense (server upgrade, I don't know)?

Flynt mentioned it, but yes, the site costs about $60 a month to run, give or take a few bucks. The money goes to Amazon for a t2.medium instance, a t2.small MySQL RDS instance (non-redundant), Route53 DNS service, various bits of EBS storage (RDS, snapshots, etc.), and our not inconsequential outbound data transit.

While I can and have shouldered the cost myself over the last year, if we want new features that require me to buy software, spin up a new instance, or otherwise expand capabilities (those milestone goals Flynt mentioned, as well as some undisclosed ones if we make just super serious money), I can't exactly justify the cost myself going forward.

For what it's worth, one of the patron-only updates will be a monthly cost breakdown of the site's accounting so you can see where your money's going. Smile I just posted one of those for the curious.

As for the timing of the Patreon site going live, it was actually entirely coincidental. Smile I'd been getting it ready and working through some of the issues, and it just now got to the point where it was ready to go. I will be providing the name-related rewards before the pledges actually process, since it's not like I can't just revoke them if one doesn't process. Don't worry -- you won't have to wait until April to get your shiny red name.

Aww I was just joking with you about it.

((I will however still give you a beret. Maybe Kage's black one will do though and not his white ones.))

I'm just curious but why choose Patreon instead of different services? Legality? While not kosher sites, I've seen forums that post things with a little donation tracker + how much is put towards it per month etc. which makes the donations much less monthly.

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - Kestrael - 03-02-2015

You have my axe...er pledge! And one day I will actually be back in game.

RE: Donations: Support the RPC! - FreelanceWizard - 03-02-2015

(03-02-2015, 09:05 PM)Kage Wrote: I'm just curious but why choose Patreon instead of different services? Legality? While not kosher sites, I've seen forums that post things with a little donation tracker + how much is put towards it per month etc. which makes the donations much less monthly.

I actually went with Patreon for the subscription angle, actually. Smile My thought was that some people would want to kick in a little bit each month, knowing our hosting is a consistent expense, and I wanted to structure the rewards that way to make them easier to manage. There's also some legal issues that are easier to deal with when the structure is "patronage to me for my services" as opposed to something else. The pledge management and collection is easier with them than some of the MyBB plugins that I found. Finally, compared to, say, GoFundMe, I don't have to give up a ton of personal data, connect Facebook, etc. If I were going down that road, I'd have to incorporate a 501©(3) tax exempt for the RPC, which just gets into all kinds of stuff I'd rather not deal with. That'd make my hobby rather more like my work, which is something I try to avoid. Smile

Gotcha! o7 Thanks for answering. I think I was thinking of those plugins but your explanation makes sense. As I said, questions for curiosity's sake and not much purpose other than I'm a nosy ass. xD