Hydaelyn Role-Players
So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. (/showthread.php?tid=12857)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Mae - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 04:45 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 04:30 PM)Mae Wrote: What the Devs DID decide, and included in the game, is that the Races of Man menstruate.

[Image: wikipedian_protester.png]

I've never seen a single reference in any NPC or quest dialogue to menstruation, subtle or otherwise. I'm curious to learn where and when such a reference occurs if at all.
*sigh* I'll link it again...

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Winter_Pennyroyal

Emmenagogues are substances used to promote/induce menstruation.

And while emmenagogues can be used as birth control, most birth control is an abortifacient.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Roda - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 04:55 PM)War Siren Wrote: Any detail to further develop your character no matter how large or small is always worth discussing.

Also, this can change how certain situations are handled by your character on certain days, adding a bit of spontaneous variety.

applications for anything I make posts about can be relevant in some way, or else I wouldn't waste my time making them. Cactuar
I am also in this school of thought~
It's really all for funsies, digging down into the nitty gritty of how your character works.  Honestly, this thread, phrased differently, would be right at home in the "Fun Prompts" section. '3'
"How does the calendar effect your character"

(tho, again, due to periods being, well, periodical, there isn't much about them that is spontaneous.

Show Content

)

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Hyakki - 08-06-2015

If I tell OP what they want to hear, will this end?

Its perfectly plausible for a DRK/WAR on the rag to become an uncontrollable murder machine. My character does it all the time and is wanted as a war criminal in no less than nine city-states for PMS-induced axe murderer rampages. The razing of Doma was no work of the Garleans, it was me, I did it because I had a raging migraine.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - -no longer matters- - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 05:02 PM)Roda Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 04:55 PM)War Siren Wrote: Any detail to further develop your character no matter how large or small is always worth discussing.

Also, this can change how certain situations are handled by your character on certain days, adding a bit of spontaneous variety.

applications for anything I make posts about can be relevant in some way, or else I wouldn't waste my time making them. Cactuar
I am also in this school of thought~
It's really all for funsies, digging down into the nitty gritty of how your character works.  Honestly, this thread, phrased differently, would be right at home in the "Fun Prompts" section. '3'
"How does the calendar effect your character"

(tho, again, due to periods being, well, periodical, there isn't much about them that is spontaneous.

Show Content

)
Yes but no one other than you knows when that is. Big Grin

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - -no longer matters- - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 05:04 PM)Mamushi Wrote: If I tell OP what they want to hear, will this end?

Its perfectly plausible for a DRK/WAR on the rag to become an uncontrollable murder machine. My character does it all the time and is wanted as a war criminal in no less than nine city-states for PMS-induced axe murderer rampages. The razing of Doma was no work of the Garleans, it was me, I did it because I had a raging migraine.
I thought this was over like 2 or so pages ago with Mae's post but it seems other people really want to keep talking about it.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Faye - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 04:45 PM)Melkire Wrote: ... is... is that really something worth discussing? A throwaway line in a roleplay scene?

I've pretty much surmised that the OP and anyone else considering how menstruation could affect role-play has never had a period IRL because I can promise you it's the last thing anyone who has would want to RP. I dunno what the point is. An odd fetish? A weird, misguided attempt to RP a female character more believably?

Editing to add: If anyone really wants to know how a period may affect a badass warrior chick, I recommend watching Berserk. Anemia, cramping, fatigue, headaches, and low-grade fevers don't make for peak fighting shape.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Roda - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 05:15 PM)Faye Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 04:45 PM)Melkire Wrote: ... is... is that really something worth discussing? A throwaway line in a roleplay scene?

I've pretty much surmised that the OP and anyone else considering how menstruation could affect role-play has never had a period IRL because I can promise you it's the last thing anyone who has would want to RP. I dunno what the point is. An odd fetish? A weird, misguided attempt to RP a female character more believably?

Editing to add: If anyone really wants to know how a period may affect a badass warrior chick, I recommend watching Berserk. Anemia, cramping, fatigue, headaches, and low-grade fevers don't make for peak fighting shape.
Tho, don't forget exercise can and does help to alleviate menstrual cramping (after that push past "ah god my everything hurts" of course). 

And the feeling I get from War Siren is more harmless curiosity mixed with some pretty common preconceived notions.
Someone who can't have periods asking folk who can how periods would effect them in a fantasy setting is pretty much like asking deaf people how having a tail and emotive ears would affect their sign language. If you don't have any experience in someone's world, it makes sense that you would ask for some info before you try to portray it. /shrug I personally think it's better than pretending 1/4 of your sexually mature experience doesn't exist because you may find it icky. (I'm still weirded out by not being able to find a single outhouse in eorzea)

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Mae - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 05:31 PM)Roda Wrote: And the feeling I get from War Siren is more harmless curiosity mixed with some pretty common preconceived notions.
This.

Media often makes us sound like we go completely berserk and insane during periods at times. I'd much rather have a guy ask these questions than get into playing a female and blow the impact of periods waaaay out of proportion.

(08-06-2015, 05:15 PM)Faye Wrote:

Um Faye.. I've explained all this to death through this thread.

also your edit examples do not apply to this scenario. Have you even played the Warrior or Dark Knight stories? Do you know where their power sources/control over them come from??

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Faye - 08-06-2015

I dunno. I have a male character. I feel like it would be pretty weird and borderline offensive if I asked men how boners or "blue balls" effect their everyday lives so I can know how to RP men more "realistically," or if I wanted an in-depth discussion about circumcision in Eorzea because I really wanted to know if my character should be circumcised. I can't say I've ever found myself wondering these things when playing a male character.

(08-06-2015, 05:50 PM)War Siren Wrote: also your edit examples do not apply to this scenario. Have you even played the Warrior or Dark Knight stories? Do you know where their power sources/control over them come from??

Not from their ovaries, I can tell you that much.

(08-06-2015, 05:52 PM)Faye Wrote: I dunno. I have a male character. I feel like it would be pretty weird and borderline offensive if I asked men how boners or "blue balls" effect their everyday lives so I can know how to RP men more "realistically," or if I wanted an in-depth discussion about circumcision in Eorzea because I really wanted to know if my character should be circumcised. I can't say I've ever found myself wondering these things when playing a male character.
I'm sorry I'm more detail oriented than you? 

Plus Boners and Blue Balls don't affect the emotional states of being, so in a game where Two classes use emotional states of being, as part of the classes structure and lore.. it becomes a bit more important.

If you would ever want to know I would A.) Not be insulted, and freely share information. B.) Not even think anything further than oh she's researching her character.

(08-06-2015, 05:52 PM)Faye Wrote: I dunno. I have a male character. I feel like it would be pretty weird and borderline offensive if I asked men how boners or "blue balls" effect their everyday lives so I can know how to RP men more "realistically," or if I wanted an in-depth discussion about circumcision in Eorzea because I really wanted to know if my character should be circumcised. I can't say I've ever found myself wondering these things when playing a male character.

(08-06-2015, 05:50 PM)War Siren Wrote: also your edit examples do not apply to this scenario. Have you even played the Warrior or Dark Knight stories? Do you know where their power sources/control over them come from??

No but the hormones affect the emotional states.. really are you really only reading selected lines you feel like it? Because you're being really daft right now.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Hyakki - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 05:57 PM)War Siren Wrote:

Plus Boners and Blue Balls don't affect the emotional states of being, so in a game where Two classes use emotional states of being, as part of the classes structure and lore.. it becomes a bit more important.

If you would ever want to know I would A.) Not be insulted, and freely share information. B.) Not even think anything further than oh she's researching her character.

I'm pretty sure arousal is or is at least a result of an emotional state of being.

(08-06-2015, 06:04 PM)Mamushi Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 05:57 PM)War Siren Wrote:

I'm pretty sure arousal is or is at least a result of an emotional state of being.
Nah it can literally go up because of boredom no arousal needed. True story.

Well since we live in a world where we have much more comfort in discussing the mechanics of the masculine organ than we do of the feminine (the slang term we have for female arousal is "ladyboners" for pete's sake!) I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that it's hard to come up with "how would my character feel for 1/4 of her sexually mature life" if the player has not experienced a red tide of their own.  And in the OP they did clarify that they were also wondering about the masculine equivalent (tho we all know it is overshadowed in the intent of the thread). 

Tho I may be biased due to my need to destroy the disproportional discomfort folks have over the mere idea of periods. '3'

And yeah, I agree with you that it shouldn't be a big deal for a DRK.  At most the magical stamina (or maximum MP) could be raised a bit for 3-4 days and then go back to normal without a single word about the condition of her laundry, or a warrior would opt for big swings with their character rooted more often to minimize discomfort that comes from jerky motions.  But those are the extremes I would really bother to take it.  A tiny bit of flavor to acknowledge that time is passing, and that's all it should really be.

Show Content