Hydaelyn Role-Players
So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. (/showthread.php?tid=12857)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Roda - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 03:54 PM)Mae Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 03:38 PM)Flashhelix Wrote: Honestly, I still think all of this is pretty lore-breaking. We haven't seen anything to suggest women have vaginas in Eorzea.
Eorzea would have no need of emmenagogues if women didn't have periods, then.

Emmenagogue: an herb or medicine that promotes mensturation
Or birth control, according to wikipedia.

TIL.

Also there's a bit of pregnancy talk with random NPCs in Ishgard.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Flashhelix - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 03:38 PM)Flashhelix Wrote: Honestly, I still think all of this is pretty lore-breaking. We haven't seen anything to suggest women have vaginas in Eorzea.

So we know that women menstruate, but how do we know that menstruation doesn't happen different in Eorzea? From the eyes, perhaps?

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Mae - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 04:03 PM)Flashhelix Wrote:

So we know that women menstruate, but how do we know that menstruation doesn't happen different in Eorzea? From the eyes, perhaps?
From the eyes or from between their legs, it'd still be menstruation >_>

Which is what the topic is about.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Flashhelix - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 04:06 PM)Mae Wrote:

From the eyes or from between their legs, it'd still be menstruation >_>

Which is what the topic is about.

Yes, but I was questioning whether or not Eorzean women have vaginas. Babies would need to come from the eyes as well.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Roda - 08-06-2015

As with most fiction, everything works as it does in this world unless proven otherwise.
(and especially, but not exclusively, in cases of taboo, lack of evidence is not itself evidence, since writers may be avoiding those subjects out of politeness/them being squeamish.)
If we didn't look at it this way, how would anything even?

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - -no longer matters- - 08-06-2015

O_o .. This talk of babies coming from eyes totally not what I expected.. This is almost Lovecraftian...

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Hyakki - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 04:12 PM)Roda Wrote: lack of evidence is not itself evidence

That's a card poor roleplayers like to play when they want to justify their shitty concepts- like interracial sharkweek futa fantasia mpreg RP.

(08-06-2015, 04:12 PM)Roda Wrote:

As with most fiction, everything works as it does in this world unless proven otherwise.
(and especially, but not exclusively, in cases of taboo, lack of evidence is not itself evidence, since writers may be avoiding those subjects out of politeness/them being squeamish.)
If we didn't look at it this way, how would anything even?

Yeah, but think about it. Great wyrms' power comes from their eyes. I think it's completely possible that that's because their eyes give them the power to shoot out babies.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Mae - 08-06-2015

Highlighted the relevant part.

Whether or not the Devs have silently decided that the reproductive process occurs elsewhere in the body other than what we, as humans, have come to know and expect from other humanoid forms is irrelevant. What the Devs DID decide, and included in the game, is that the Races of Man menstruate. If you want to go back into the irrelevant, then I suppose you could argue that maybe it's the MALES who bleed monthly, but my point still stands:

A portion of the population gets periods. If they didn't, then there would have been no need to identify, collect, and distribute substances for the purpose of inducing menstruation.

[Edit: Wroooong word...]

(08-06-2015, 04:23 PM)Mamushi Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 04:12 PM)Roda Wrote: lack of evidence is not itself evidence

That's a card poor roleplayers like to play when they want to justify their shitty concepts- like interracial sharkweek futa fantasia mpreg RP.
Did you not read the sentence before that??
"As with most fiction, everything works as it does in this world unless proven otherwise."

Jfc this isn't about promoting mpreg.

It is absurd to think that "No you couldn't have stabbed me in my liver because I, as a Hyur, am not "Human" and therefore I do not have a liver, instead I have a void that is completely immune to blood loss there, duh. How can you not know this bit of lore thatisn'tstatedanywherebutnevermindthat??" We need to have some kind of basis in real life or else we're going to be talking about freaking skull-fetuses.

Periods are just as possible as getting sick, being hungry, having allergies, or getting pregnant.
Periods are only a "shitty concept" because sometimes those hormones make you have to poop a lot.

We've seen skeletons, and we've seen people, but we've never seen a skeleton inside a person. How do we know skeletons live inside people in this universe? I maintain that skeletons and people are two different races.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Melkire - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 04:30 PM)Mae Wrote: What the Devs DID decide, and included in the game, is that the Races of Man menstruate.

[Image: wikipedian_protester.png]

I've never seen a single FFXIV reference in any NPC or quest dialogue to menstruation, subtle or otherwise. If I have, I'm failing to recall it. I'm curious to learn where and when such a reference occurs if at all.

That said, when a work of fiction fails to supply information on a particular topic or subject, the go-to approach is to assume that the fictional setting aligns more or less with our own on the matter, i.e. if FFXIV features children and babies and natural reproduction in a manner mirroring the real world, then it is only fair to assume that reproduction in FFXIV works in a similar fashion to reproduction in real life which is to say that menstruation is a thing and periods happen.

...and I, for one, don't particularly see how menstruation would affect women in Eorzea any more or less so than in the real world. There've been plenty of blood-crazed warrior women in our own histories. They dealt with their cycles, presumably, in a manner similar to how modern-day working women deal with theirs. I don't think that the inner beast and personal darkness outlined in the WAR and DRK are really impacted by such. Even if they are, how is that going to enhance or improve the quality of one's RP? If anything, it'll just boil down to a passing mention by other roleplayers, e.g. "oh, it's that time of month for her again, she gets particularly ferocious at these times."

... is... is that really something worth discussing? A throwaway line in a roleplay scene?

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Sig - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 04:43 PM)Flashhelix Wrote: We've seen skeletons, and we've seen people, but we've never seen a skeleton inside a person. How do we know skeletons live inside people in this universe? I maintain that skeletons and people are two different races.

Under this line of curious logic, it is reasonable to deduce that Oskwell's fat cat actually is Okswell, and manipulates the man by a series of levers, pulleys, and other simple mechanical devices, from an internal control system.  

This thread is getting really... deep and semantic.  Gods help us all.

Should we simply start requesting that female characters designate their views on IC menstruation prior to starting RP? ...Talk about a novel hook and stepping off on the right foot, <3.

(("...Hey, before we start this scene, I really need to know your IC and OOC views on IC menstruation. It could be a REAL dealbreaker. Rly. ))

(08-06-2015, 04:46 PM)Sig Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 04:43 PM)Flashhelix Wrote: We've seen skeletons, and we've seen people, but we've never seen a skeleton inside a person. How do we know skeletons live inside people in this universe? I maintain that skeletons and people are two different races.

Under this line of curious logic, it is reasonable to deduce that Oskwell's fat cat actually is Okswell, and manipulates the man by a series of levers, pulleys, and other simple mechanical devices, from an internal control system.  

This thread is getting really... deep and semantic.  Gods help us all.

That is the case, yes. Oskwell is a puppet controlled by the fat cat in order to better communicate with the five races. A thrall of sorts.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - -no longer matters- - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 04:45 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 04:30 PM)Mae Wrote: What the Devs DID decide, and included in the game, is that the Races of Man menstruate.

[Image: wikipedian_protester.png]

I've never seen a single reference in any NPC or quest dialogue to menstruation, subtle or otherwise. I'm curious to learn where and when such a reference occurs if at all.

That said, when a work of fiction fails to supply information on a particular topic or subject, the go-to approach is to assume that the fictional setting aligns more or less with our own on the matter, i.e. if FFXIV features children and babies and natural reproduction in a manner mirroring the real world, then it is only fair to assume that reproduction in FFXIV works in a similar fashion to reproduction in real life which is to say that menstruation is a thing and periods happen.

...and I, for one, don't particularly see how menstruation would affect women in Eorzea any more or less so than in the real world. There've been plenty of blood-crazed warrior women in our own histories. They dealt with their cycles, presumably, in a manner similar to how modern-day working women deal with theirs. I don't think that the inner beast and personal darkness outlined in the WAR and DRK are really impacted by such. Even if they are, how is that going to enhance or improve the quality of one's RP? If anything, it'll just boil down to a passing mention by other roleplayers, e.g. "oh, it's that time of month for her again, she gets particularly ferocious at these times."

... is... is that really something worth discussing? A throwaway line in a roleplay scene?
Any detail to further develop your character no matter how large or small is always worth discussing.

Also, this can change how certain situations are handled by your character on certain days, adding a bit of spontaneous variety.

applications for anything I make posts about can be relivant in some way, or else I wouldn't waste my time making them. Cactuar