Hydaelyn Role-Players
A New Primal Approaches - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: A New Primal Approaches (/showthread.php?tid=11877)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: A New Primal Approaches - LiadansWhisper - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 05:15 PM)Memenu Wrote: 3. So basically, what will she do when a band of adventurers is looming over Memenu with weapons?
This is actually a question I've thought about for a fair while. Chances are, such a fight will not only be inevitable, but will not be the only one. If it comes down to it, Memenu will fight. She'll say her piece and if their resolve is to attempt to send her back to the Aether still holds, she will defend herself like any "person" would.

I'm just curious as to what she could possibly say to convince anyone not to save the land itself from her existence?

RE: A New Primal Approaches - Sounsyy - 06-04-2015

Lambs of Dalamud not tempered, just crazy. Per Fernehalwes:

Las Vegas Lore Panel Wrote:MCKF: The Lambs of Dalamud came after hearing this story and I thought “Yes, perfect!” We had this group that were the remnants of that story from thousands and thousands of years ago when everyone knew about Dalamud and what it was for, they saw them construct it and shoot it into space and knew they had the power to bring it back but then along came the calamity* and people forgot about it. The few people that remained passed it along to their children and the more that happened the more it got diluted. The core remained though that one day Dalamud might come back.

MCKF: So you had these crazy people thinking it was some kind of lesser god. Yeah everyone worships Menphina but it’s actually Dalamud, her hound is the one that protects her because she’s the one that’s weak and he’s only going to save the believers. It’s a cult, they’re not driven by reason and logic they’re driven by “That’s what Dad believed in, that’s what grandma believed in.”

*Note: The Calamity he's referring to here is the 4th Umbral Calamity, for clarification, where energy siphoned from Dalamud caused the Crystal Tower to send a massive shockwave through the planet and buried the Allagan Empire in a giant earthquake.

RE: A New Primal Approaches - Viola - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 07:06 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(06-04-2015, 05:15 PM)Memenu Wrote: 3. So basically, what will she do when a band of adventurers is looming over Memenu with weapons?
This is actually a question I've thought about for a fair while. Chances are, such a fight will not only be inevitable, but will not be the only one. If it comes down to it, Memenu will fight. She'll say her piece and if their resolve is to attempt to send her back to the Aether still holds, she will defend herself like any "person" would.

I'm just curious as to what she could possibly say to convince anyone not to save the land itself from her existence?

That there's far more important things to worry about than a Primal that's actively helping the adventurers do their job, not only destroying other Primals but crushing the Garleans among other things.

(06-04-2015, 07:12 PM)Memenu Wrote: That there's far more important things to worry about than a Primal that's actively helping the adventurers do their job, not only destroying other Primals but crushing the Garleans among other things.

Except she's destroying the planet by existing at all.  I mean, there are no ifs, ands, or buts about that - Primals strip the planet of aether and destroy the land when they are summoned.  Even Good King Moggle Mog and Ramuh (neither of whom are exactly "evil" by nature) had to go because they were destroying the planet.

Edited to Add: And wasn't that the issue with the Garleans in the first place? The biggest fear at the time was less that the Garleans would march through and take over (though that was definitely a fear), and more that the Beast Tribes would, out of desperation, summon Primals...which were viewed as worse than an invasion by Garlemald.

Maybe I'm misremembering something right here...

(06-04-2015, 07:17 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Except she's destroying the planet by existing at all.  I mean, there are no ifs, ands, or buts about that - Primals strip the planet of aether and destroy the land when they are summoned.  Even Good King Moggle Mog and Ramuh (neither of whom are exactly "evil" by nature) had to go because they were destroying the planet.

Edited to Add: And wasn't that the issue with the Garleans in the first place?  The biggest fear at the time was less that the Garleans would march through and take over (though that was definitely a fear), and more that the Beast Tribes would, out of desperation, summon Primals...which were viewed as worse than an invasion by Garlemald.

What I'm reading on the FF wiki is that Primals are a threat due to their never-ending want of followers, crystals and Aether to increase their power. If this is correct, Memenu is a "non-threat" which is both unique and...Strange. I'm looking more into it, because I'm only getting this from the Moggle Mog page.

RE: A New Primal Approaches - Warren Castille - 06-04-2015

Keep in mind when discussing people's reactions: Roleplayers vary as much as anything else, so it's impossible to rationalize "Well, most people would feel X way about Y incident."

There's also the obvious caveat of the lalafell cult thing doing the summoning: So far we've seen summoning result in the entity being conjured on the spot. If your lalafell tribe is being held captive, there are some unanswered questions.

1) Why would Memenu leave those who summoned her in a jam to roam to Eorzea?

2) If they're not saved, and are still captured, why would they resummon her? She failed them the first time.

3) If somehow the summon didn't conjure Memenu to the summoners, how would they even know it worked? If she gets killed, how would they know to resummon her?

4) If they are saved, why would they resummon Memenu at all? Their plight is over.

RE: A New Primal Approaches - Aduu Avagnar - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 07:28 PM)Memenu Wrote:
(06-04-2015, 07:17 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Except she's destroying the planet by existing at all.  I mean, there are no ifs, ands, or buts about that - Primals strip the planet of aether and destroy the land when they are summoned.  Even Good King Moggle Mog and Ramuh (neither of whom are exactly "evil" by nature) had to go because they were destroying the planet.

Edited to Add: And wasn't that the issue with the Garleans in the first place?  The biggest fear at the time was less that the Garleans would march through and take over (though that was definitely a fear), and more that the Beast Tribes would, out of desperation, summon Primals...which were viewed as worse than an invasion by Garlemald.

What I'm reading on the FF wiki is that Primals are a threat due to their never-ending want of followers, crystals and Aether to increase their power. If this is correct, Memenu is a "non-threat" which is both unique and...Strange. I'm looking more into it, because I'm only getting this from the Moggle Mog page.
IIRC only Ifrit and Leviathan actively enforce their tempering on people as a means to expand their influence, Garuda does it because of the threat, and as far as we can tell Ramuh, Titan and Shiva don't do it except to those that seek it out. (although some could say that being a heretic is pretty similar)

Primals drain the land of Aether through their continued existance, thereby slowly, killing the land, it is the reason that they are hunted down so vigourously. The threat posed by their continued existance is too great.

Show Content

(06-04-2015, 07:28 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Keep in mind when discussing people's reactions: Roleplayers vary as much as anything else, so it's impossible to rationalize "Well, most people would feel X way about Y incident."

There's also the obvious caveat of the lalafell cult thing doing the summoning: So far we've seen summoning result in the entity being conjured on the spot. If your lalafell tribe is being held captive, there are some unanswered questions.

2) If they're not saved, and are still captured, why would they resummon her? She failed them the first time.

3) If somehow the summon didn't conjure Memenu to the summoners, how would they even know it worked? If she gets killed, how would they know to resummon her?

4) If they are saved, why would they resummon Memenu at all? Their plight is over.

1. Why would Memenu leave those who summoned her in a jam to roam Eorzea?
Not by choice, if the Garlean military found out, she'd probably be killed almost immediately, more so if Ultima was combat ready. Especially within Garlean lines.

2. If they're not saved, why would they resummon her if she failed them the first time?
Point number one, but they could've been re-deployed somewhere else or are in a location not yet visited by the players as of the events of 2.5.

3a. If somehow the summoning ritual didn't conjure Memenu to the summoners, how would they even know it worked?
They wouldn't, but as one of her followers used her own soul and body as the sacrifice, the summon had a perfect focal point.

3b. If she gets killed, how would they know to resummon her?
At this point, they most likely wouldn't. The amount of time and effort required to get the materiel needed would probably take too long to summon her again if it was needed, especially with the fall of the Castrums (or most of them) in Eorzea.

4. If they are saved, why would they resummon Memenu at all? Their plight is over.
Exactly; why would they? Perhaps to help others who are as misfortunate as they were during their time subjugated to Garlean prisoners. While not everyone needs a savior, the realm needs a hero, no matter how unlikely they may be.

-edit-
Nako'li, http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Primal

" it is said that the flux of aether over Silvertear Falls has been disrupted and the whole land of Eorzea will slowly perish if this process isn't reversed."

RE: A New Primal Approaches - Edricane - 06-04-2015

You can play your character how you want, RP her how you want. But I'm sad to say she's walking lore bomb. Primals are destroyed as Liadan said, because they poison Hydaelyn. The reason the Garleans haven't amassed a massive force to attack Eorzea and rid of the primal problem, is because the primal problems in other places are greater, seeing the scions are snuffing out what primals pop up in Eorzea.

RE: A New Primal Approaches - Warren Castille - 06-04-2015

Forgive my bluntness, my brain's not work well so good this sun hours.

Lalafell prisoners summon Memenu. Can you give me the list of events that result in her not rescuing those who summoned who, allowed her to not die and still made it to Eorzea proper? I'm just having trouble imagining the scene as it would happen.

RE: A New Primal Approaches - Aduu Avagnar - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 07:41 PM)Memenu Wrote:
(06-04-2015, 07:28 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Keep in mind when discussing people's reactions: Roleplayers vary as much as anything else, so it's impossible to rationalize "Well, most people would feel X way about Y incident."

1. Why would Memenu leave those who summoned her in a jam to roam Eorzea?
Not by choice, if the Garlean military found out, she'd probably be killed almost immediately, more so if Ultima was combat ready. Especially within Garlean lines.

2. If they're not saved, why would they resummon her if she failed them the first time?
Point number one, but they could've been re-deployed somewhere else or are in a location not yet visited by the players as of the events of 2.5.

3a. If somehow the summoning ritual didn't conjure Memenu to the summoners, how would they even know it worked?
They wouldn't, but as one of her followers used her own soul and body as the sacrifice, the summon had a perfect focal point.

3b. If she gets killed, how would they know to resummon her?
At this point, they most likely wouldn't. The amount of time and effort required to get the materiel needed would probably take too long to summon her again if it was needed, especially with the fall of the Castrums (or most of them) in Eorzea.

4. If they are saved, why would they resummon Memenu at all? Their plight is over.
Exactly; why would they? Perhaps to help others who are as misfortunate as they were during their time subjugated to Garlean prisoners. While not everyone needs a savior, the realm needs a hero, no matter how unlikely they may be.

-edit-
Nako'li, http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Primal

" it is said that the flux of aether over Silvertear Falls has been disrupted and the whole land of Eorzea will slowly perish if this process isn't reversed."
to take the entire sentence:

Quote:Due to the presence of Primals in Eorzea and the massive amount of energy needed to summon them, it is said that the flux of aether over Silvertear Falls has been disrupted and the whole land of Eorzea will slowly perish if this process isn't reversed.
It is the summoning of the Primals that is disrupting it.

(06-04-2015, 07:48 PM)Edricane Wrote: You can play your character how you want, RP her how you want. But I'm sad to say she's walking lore bomb. Primals are destroyed as Liadan said, because they poison Hydaelyn. The reason the Garleans haven't amassed a massive force to attack Eorzea and rid of the primal problem, is because the primal problems in other places are greater, seeing the scions are snuffing out what primals pop up in Eorzea.

This is why she's been "in-concept" for so long. Memenu's a very problematic character as you can see, but I've been working with it as best I can. The questions everyone has asked here (which again, I thank all of you for asking such questions) has helped me develop her further if I continue to go with this route.

At this point I should say "In-Progress" over in-concept, but eh, same thing to some extent. While I'm not sure if anyone else would stick with such a problem design for so long, I'm not willing to "start from scratch" so easily.

RE: A New Primal Approaches - Reppu - 06-04-2015

I will note one more thing!

If she is being summoned by Lalafells under blight by Garleans... she would appear nearby them, no? And if so, would she not handle the problem there?

Basically, how do you excuse her wandering about/being in the Quicksand/etc etc? Primals are summoned where they are prayed for.

(06-04-2015, 07:28 PM)Memenu Wrote: What I'm reading on the FF wiki is that Primals are a threat due to their never-ending want of followers, crystals and Aether to increase their power. If this is correct, Memenu is a "non-threat" which is both unique and...Strange. I'm looking more into it, because I'm only getting this from the Moggle Mog page.

Primals siphon aether from the land by existing.  It doesn't have to be conscious.  It's just how they work.  They can't maintain a form without doing so, and that is why they are such a problem.  Tempering is a secondary issue, and their love of crystals goes right back with their need to constantly consume aether to continue existing.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I could swear this has been mentioned at least two or three times so far in this thread, and thus far you have never addressed it. You keep ignoring that pesky, but important fact.

(06-04-2015, 09:57 PM)Reppu Wrote: I will note one more thing!

If she is being summoned by Lalafells under blight by Garleans... she would appear nearby them, no? And if so, would she not handle the problem there?

Basically, how do you excuse her wandering about/being in the Quicksand/etc etc? Primals are summoned where they are prayed for.
1a. Since she was summoned by Lalafells under blight of the Garleans, would she not be able to handle the problem there?
There would most likely be too many for her to deal with, especially when not accustomed to a body she was "forced" to inhabit. She'd still be at an advantage strength-wise, but the physical limits of her mortal vessel would make it impossible to continue fighting for very long, especially if the new body isn't "her's" to begin with.

1b. Basically, how do you excuse her wandering about after being sommoned where the ritual happened?
Even if her "companions" escaped with her from the Garleans (since we know that this most likely happened somewhere in Thanalan, since Lalafell, specifically Dunesfolk, are practically everywhere in Thanalan), her vastly limited power (for a Primal), would require much more help than her merry group could give her. Roaming about the town would potentially allow her to find allies (or as everyone else has obviously stated; enemies) in stopping the Garleans.

(06-04-2015, 10:16 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Primals siphon aether from the land by existing.  It doesn't have to be conscious.  It's just how they work.  They can't maintain a form without doing so, and that is why they are such a problem.  Tempering is a secondary issue, and their love of crystals goes right back with their need to constantly consume aether to continue existing.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I could swear this has been mentioned at least two or three times so far in this thread, and thus far you have never addressed it.  You keep ignoring that pesky, but important fact.

I haven't been ignoring it, I've just been thinking about it. Since the body used to be that of one of her followers, and that it is a physical (read; a naturally created, living) body, would, or could it completely negate the draining of Aether? I don't know, the reason; It hasn't been explored or even commented on in-lore. It'd explain the lack of need for crystals, Tempered followers, etc, but it would be a bit too...Convenient, so to speak.