Hydaelyn Role-Players
Au Ra Character Creation Screens discussion! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Au Ra Character Creation Screens discussion! (/showthread.php?tid=11291)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Fox - 04-25-2015

I like how they look so far in general, but only have really badly taken camera-screens on a surface pro. 

I guess I'm more disappointed that they're 'demon motif'. It didn't even have to be dragon related, I could care less about that. But I just don't enjoy that they're demons especially if they were motif'ed like that; they could less resemble what they're saying they're not. Ah well. It's fine in the end though. 

I'll still make both a female and male and play around with character designs on Monday.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Meena - 04-25-2015

I'm just hoping that the people who pick Xaela, know the lore and come up with a believable story. ._.;

Then again, a part of me knows most of it will be....
"I was raised by hyur"
"My clan was abusive so I left"

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Moonlit - 04-25-2015

(04-25-2015, 06:57 PM)Meena Wrote: I'm just hoping that the people who pick Xaela, know the lore and come up with a believable story. ._.;

"I was raised by hyur"

And I think this is okay. Some may see it as cliche, others may see it as creative, and some just won't care. People can decorate their sandbox as they please, so to speak. We can choose not to play in it.

(04-25-2015, 07:03 PM)Moonlit Wrote:
(04-25-2015, 06:57 PM)Meena Wrote: I'm just hoping that the people who pick Xaela, know the lore and come up with a believable story. ._.;

"I was raised by hyur"

And I think this is okay. Some may see it as cliche, others may see it as creative, and some just won't care. People can decorate their sandbox as they please, so to speak. We can choose not to play in it.
xD I know, but their lore is so rich! It is like someone is stabbing me in the stomach every time I hear those sort of lines.

Everyone kinda just, makes up a sob story and rolls with it. Like whoa, why is everyone in Eorzea so unfortunate? Why does the player need to be the -last- superspecialsoleremainingpersonleftoftheirtribewhoshehatedbecauseitwasabusiveandsoshewasadoptedbyhyur.

(04-25-2015, 07:09 PM)Meena Wrote:

"I was raised by hyur"

xD I know, but their lore is so rich! It is like someone is stabbing me in the stomach every time I hear those sort of lines.

Everyone kinda just, makes up a sob story and rolls with it. Like whoa, why is everyone in Eorzea so unfortunate? Why does the player need to be the -last- superspecialsoleremainingpersonleftoftheirtribewhoshehatedbecauseitwasabusiveandsoshewasadoptedbyhyur.

Because it interests them. At the end of the day, we all roleplay for different reasons, and we all have different interests. Adoption stories, just as abuse stories, can be just as good stories as something with a happier note. It's about execution and your reading preference. I like raspberries. Not everyone likes raspberries. I can still eat my raspberries. They can still not eat raspberries. As long as I'm not trying to force my raspberries on them, or they're not trying to force me to stop eating them, everyone can be happy. 

At the end of the day, participate in the RP and stories that make you happy, but there's no need to be judgemental of those who don't like what you do. 

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - DeadlyMagikarp - 04-25-2015

"I was raised by hyur"

Because they want to.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Parvacake - 04-25-2015

"I was raised by hyur"

I can understand that. At the same time though when you look at the MSQ and the NPCs and everything else that misfortune is super common in one capacity or another given the Calamity and Garlean interferences alone. Not including the bandits, poachers, beast tribes...

Some people don't have parents (like the boy in the MRD story quests and Minf was adopted), or lost many of their friends in battle (Company of Heroes) and the list goes on from there.

As a whole I notice a lot of folks don't fully grasp the extent of how badly the Calamity alone fucked up entire families and regions. Made even more noticeable when you're from 1.0 or see the 1.0 maps and how it all looks before Dalamud went kablooey. It's not entirely out of scope that someone could have been the last remaining person to make it out alive either by luck or purely because they had been some where else at the time.

And who knows what the Au Ra have been through on their end besides the big G's coming in and making them flee? Maybe it wasn't much different for them either. Sure it's a concept that might be overplayed, but like with any RP concept some people work well with it and others don't Smile

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Zhavi - 04-25-2015

I'm getting a really strong gothic lolita vibe from the females, which is a huge turnoff because nomadic peoples are freaking rugged, man. Whatevs! I made it work with Zhavi and the supercutesmoothbabyface miqote, I'll make it work for them.

Plus they all have that sort of cool, reserved look.

I'm edging more and more towards making a fortune-teller xaela who uses a modified form of shagai to tell her fortunes. Plus add some heavy superstition and maybe a pinch of xenophobia and a love of an oral storytelling tradition... and now all I need is some more lore to iron everything out and stuff and yayyy.

This time I am not making a character locked to one city state. Ahaha. I don't think I'm ever going to do that again.

and then I'll be ready to find her a tribe-sy. :>

But we don't even know if the lands where Au Ri come from was even hit by the calamity! We know Xaela fight with each other in tribal settings and that Raen strive for peace and live along side people. 

I mean, the Calamity hit Eorzea more than any other nation, no?

(04-25-2015, 07:19 PM)Meena Wrote: But we don't even know if the lands where Au Ri come from was even hit by the calamity! We know Xaela fight with each other in tribal settings and that Raen strive for peace and live along side people. 

But we do know that they come from Othard, and Othard is part of the Garlean Empire. We also know that the Garleans aren't really nice people. So whether or not the Calamity hit them specifically doesn't equate to the fact they could have had their own struggles, wars, and strife with the Garleans. The treatment isn't rainbows and sunshine. We can see Ala Mhigo and Doma for that. The latter of which was razed to just make a point. 

I'm not denying the fact they grew up in a dangerous location - I'm saying the calamity didnt affect those over n Othard as it did in Eorzea. If Xaela people are nomadic they might of ignored most global conflicts with the garleans or perhaps bee taken out by them - hence I can see refuge needed there.

Raen however are easier to fit in story wise due to their connection with connection with people and society. I mean - One who is wanting to adopt a child doe snot walk into the middle of the woods, and hope to find a Xaela baby. They go to the orphanage. Which is a city thing.

I suspect most Xaela children who are left without parents in the wild - either learn to fend for themselves or die.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Zhavi - 04-25-2015

(04-25-2015, 07:19 PM)Meena Wrote: But we don't even know if the lands where Au Ri come from was even hit by the calamity! We know Xaela fight with each other in tribal settings and that Raen strive for peace and live along side people. 

Also, I mean, nomadic peoples alone have it rough. Even up to modern day -- weather will fuck you up.

Look at what happens in Mongolia whenever they get a foot or two of snow (which is freakish for the steppes) : Their animals can't paw through the snow to get to the grass. You have mass starve-offs, which sometimes results in families no longer being able to function as pastoral nomads. If they aren't lucky and don't have family in the cities, they often wind up living in tent-cities on the outskirts, scraping by and trying to find work. Even without freak events like that, life as a nomad is hard and has its own tragedies. Accidents happen, and you're really dependent on the land.

Now add some wars/raiding to that, and yeup, you've got plenty of room for tragic stories (a lot of tribal cultures regularly participated in slave culture. While typically this meant taking slaves for personal use (or taking extra brides, lolol), selling slaves off to other parties was not uncommon, either).

But my thing has always been: if I'm sick of seeing something, I just create the polar opposite to it. Most of the time, that's why I try to make ugly, rough characters. But, you know, I think as long as people are enjoying their rp then it's okay, because that means they'll continue to rp and that means rp as a whole will flourish. Which is great, because I love seeing thriving rp communities. :3

(04-25-2015, 07:27 PM)Meena Wrote: I'm not denying the fact they grew up in a dangerous location - I'm saying the calamity didnt affect those over n Othard as it did in Eorzea. If Xaela people are nomadic they might of ignored most global conflicts with the garleans or perhaps bee taken out by them - hence I can see refuge needed there.

Raen however are easier to fit in story wise due to their connection with connection with people and society. I mean - One who is wanting to adopt a child doe snot walk into the middle of the woods, and hope to find a Xaela baby. They go to the orphanage. Which is a city thing.

I suspect most Xaela children who are left without parents in the wild - either learn to fend for themselves or die.

And you are entitled to those suspicions and beliefs. One could argue that a baby was heard crying in the forest while a merchant travelled through. It was found to be an Xaela and it was taken to a village or otherwise. Where it became part of an orphanage, or even that merchant adopted it. There are all sort of outlets for what people want to do and how they want to do it. 

I stand by my comment of, "We can decorate our sandbox how we please," and we only have to play in the sandboxes of those whose decorations we like. 

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Spethah - 04-25-2015

Omg I want that bobcut so bad.

That 60s bobcut

I need this.

This only burns my further need to be the most kawaii of them all. 

In all seriousness though, I actually like the female look (even if I'm one that tends to hate the cute, this is oddly an exception). The male's eye look horrrrible in my opinion and is my main turn off for them. 

Also not all nomads are all rugged. Nomad is an archtype from which smaller ones are born from (example gypsies). Quite a few, mostly southeast asia, tend to be less rugged...but also have a hard male dominant system where the males have to be hardened and the females have to just be beautiful. I could go on for days on nomad sociology as well (I'm actually studying that right now) but bleh, let's not. It's just a video game after all, we don't have to force exacts on fantasy. If we did, magic wouldn't exist.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Kismet - 04-25-2015

(04-25-2015, 07:09 PM)Meena Wrote: Everyone kinda just, makes up a sob story and rolls with it. Like whoa, why is everyone in Eorzea so unfortunate? Why does the player need to be the -last- superspecialsoleremainingpersonleftoftheirtribewhoshehatedbecauseitwasabusiveandsoshewasadoptedbyhyur.

(04-25-2015, 07:27 PM)Meena Wrote: I'm not denying the fact they grew up in a dangerous location - I'm saying the calamity didnt affect those over n Othard as it did in Eorzea.

I think you're missing the point Lililove was trying to make by bringing up the Calamity.

Tragedy, while not always present in every story or character's background, is very common in XIV. There are many things going on not only in Eorzea, but across the world that are pretty darn terrible. So if the volume of RPers with dead parents/who've been adopted, found tribal life too abusive/abrasive, and various other sad backstories seems unnaturally high to you... We're trying to tell you that it's not all that out of place, given the large amount of misfortune that permeates throughout most of XIV's universe.

And even if all that weren't the case, no one should really care. RPers create stories and characters that interest them and share that with others. If you aren't interested in a particular type of story, character, stereotype, theme, or whatever... then simply engage with RPers who do cater to your palette. It's as simple as that.