Hydaelyn Role-Players
Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward Opening Movie [SPOILERS FOR 2.55] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward Opening Movie [SPOILERS FOR 2.55] (/showthread.php?tid=11053)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward Opening Movie [SPOILERS FOR 2.55] - Melkire - 04-11-2015

(04-11-2015, 07:17 PM)Red Coat Cat Wrote: I didn't see a single shot of a mechanist....... soooooo over this video already cause of that. >.< lol

We didn't see Dark Knight or Astrologian either, to be fair.

EDIT:

!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/z3I_xgPqWxQ

RE: Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward Opening Movie [SPOILERS FOR 2.55] - Tiergan - 04-11-2015

(04-11-2015, 01:32 PM)Mamushi Wrote:
(04-11-2015, 11:20 AM)Zyrusticae Wrote: Seeing all those scenes of dragoons flying every which-way and dropping from mid-air onto their targets pleases me so greatly.

First because it answers the question of how efficacious dragoon jump can actually be in battle (re: extremely), secondly because it shows that the crazy acrobatics and supernatural powers are most definitely not even close to being limited to Midlander and his WoL companions (though granted, Raubhan's fight against Ilbern itself already proved this).

Thus I will smugly sit right here and say "I told you so" a million times, because seriously it was so silly that anyone was even questioning this in the first place. It's Final Fantasy, man! That's just how things work 'round these parts.

When its an ordinary farmer doing crazy acrobatics with a flaming pitchfork, I will accept that the WoL and Ilbred's abilities are something anyone can do. Until then, I keep my belief that such feats are achieved through luck, supernatural means, or years of dedicated study and training, not something the average nobody just picked up (those dragoons being the best of the best, not low- ranking footsoldiers)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if you and Zyrusticae are exactly in disagreement with each other?

It seemed like Zyrusticae was not saying that *anyone* (like a merchant or a pig-farmer) could suddenly start doing crazy dragoon-jumps with little to no training - only that this video (and Raubahn/Ilberd's fight) show that zany acrobatics and superpowered abilities are not purely limited to Derplander and his WoL party. Any character that has undergone a logical amount of training could potentially do what Ilberd/Raubahn did or the dragoons have done in the video.

So while an ordinary farmer might not be able to do crazy acrobatics - someone who has spent over a decade or more training in this form of combat might.

RE: Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward Opening Movie [SPOILERS FOR 2.55] - Zyrusticae - 04-11-2015

(04-11-2015, 08:17 PM)Tiergan Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if you and Zyrusticae are exactly in disagreement with each other?

It seemed like Zyrusticae was not saying that *anyone* (like a merchant or a pig-farmer) could suddenly start doing crazy dragoon-jumps with little to no training - only that this video (and Raubahn/Ilberd's fight) show that zany acrobatics and superpowered abilities are not purely limited to Derplander and his WoL party. Any character that has undergone a logical amount of training could potentially do what Ilberd/Raubahn did or the dragoons have done in the video.

So while an ordinary farmer might not be able to do crazy acrobatics - someone who has spent over a decade or more training in this form of combat might.

Right, exactly. The contention was never whether or not an "average person" could match up to them. That's just silly, and to make such an assertion would be to imply an extremely flat power curve where training, luck, and skill matter for very little, so I don't even know why one would bring it up. Furthermore, there is absolutely nothing that implies that RPers are required to play said ordinary farmer or whatever, something I thought we already established long ago. There's nothing particularly prestigious or impressive or morally superior about limiting oneself in such a fashion. It's all in the execution, as I like to stress time and time again.

My biggest bone was with the argument that the WoL and his companions were so clearly above and beyond everyone else and that even implying my character could be on their level makes me a "special snowflake", which is why the trailer and Raubahn vs Ilberd are so gratifying to me. No, I don't feel any particular guilt over not making my character an "average Jane", and I don't see any reason why I should limit myself in such a fashion, thank you very much. I would be grateful not to hear any such arguments levied my way in the future.

RE: Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward Opening Movie [SPOILERS FOR 2.55] - allgivenover - 04-11-2015

(04-11-2015, 02:17 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: I was pretty excited already but this is just brilliant. I like the part where the Warrior of Light looks out of a window in Ishgard and doves fly by - it's reminiscent of Garnet doing the same thing way back in FFIX in Alexandria.

They're geese, but yes I also was reminded of the Alexandria scene.

(04-11-2015, 09:39 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: No, I don't feel any particular guilt over not making my character an "average Jane",

I did it for the better part of two years, but given the increasingly epic scale the story and setting is taking I'll be moving away from that.

RE: Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward Opening Movie [SPOILERS FOR 2.55] - Seriphyn - 04-12-2015

(04-11-2015, 11:58 PM)allgivenover Wrote:
(04-11-2015, 09:39 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: No, I don't feel any particular guilt over not making my character an "average Jane",

I did it for the better part of two years, but given the increasingly epic scale the story and setting is taking I'll be moving away from that.

Same. For a long time I was playing Kale as one of the 'background Flames NPCs'...even dressing him like an NPC. He's part of the background, a Person, not a Character. But now (esp with my lovely Flame Elite armour that I've had before anyone else btw) I'm pushing him more towards being a PC, a Character, a Military Figure rather than just a Rank-and-File. A commander who arrives on chocoboback and the footsoldiers around react with a Masaka?! (rather than being one of the footsoldiers)

RE: Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward Opening Movie [SPOILERS FOR 2.55] - Steel Wolf - 04-12-2015

(04-11-2015, 07:30 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(04-11-2015, 07:17 PM)Red Coat Cat Wrote: I didn't see a single shot of a mechanist....... soooooo over this video already cause of that. >.< lol

We didn't see Dark Knight or Astrologian either, to be fair.

EDIT:

!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/z3I_xgPqWxQ

...hrrrrnnnggh. I'm going to be re-playing that Benchmark so damn many times to watch the new job actions over and over and over and over.

Dat greatsword doe... <3

RE: Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward Opening Movie [SPOILERS FOR 2.55] - Bryn - 04-12-2015

I'm liking that new hairstyle on the miqo machinist.

You know you're an RPer when you're just as excited over aesthetic content as you are with actual new gameplay content.

Also, I just want to say - the particle effects on those lamps in the benchmark are beautiful. I'm looking forward to the DX11 support coming with Heavensward.

[edit] also, does that DRK great sword remind anyone else of Soul Calibur? I was getting strong Nightmare vibes.

RE: Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward Opening Movie [SPOILERS FOR 2.55] - Steel Wolf - 04-12-2015

(04-12-2015, 08:35 AM)Bryn Wrote: [edit] also, does that DRK great sword remind anyone else of Soul Calibur? I was getting strong Nightmare vibes.

Yea, I did notice that "eye" motif thing going on along the sword's hilt....seems like Soul Edge has pretty much commanded design of Big Nasty Weppinz. Mercifully, the thing doesn't look like an alien organ with an inexplicable blade edge to it.

RE: Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward Opening Movie [SPOILERS FOR 2.55] - Kellach Woods - 04-12-2015

Or a pizza slice with an eye in it like Soul Edge (Complete) in 2.