Hydaelyn Role-Players
Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 (/showthread.php?tid=169)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - Sunny Dove - 07-01-2010

With first and last names, it should make it somewhat easy for you to get the name you want Riki Smile. Especially if your name is original.

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - Blade - 07-01-2010

I am worried that they are rushing this launch a lot. That release date was obviously set up that way because that new wow expansion releases at the same time. They are trying to slap it together and have it ready by then (and sice wow is only a pc game, that's probably why they are only bothering to release the pc version and not the ps3 version until much later.... something tells me the pc release is really just going to be "beta pt. 2"... this worries me. FFXI was plagued with bugs and errors and an unhelpful interface, SE needs this launch to be the best it can be.

Also. Really ticked that based on how its worded on the se site, the preorder bonuses are different depending on the version you purchase. Onion helm (reduces "weakened" time after KO) for collectors edition preorder, garlond goggles (increases rate of skill progression) if you get standard... wtf? Collector's edition gets the worse gift? What's up with that... I feel like they are trying to get us to buy both versions...? You can read all this on the us ffxiv site.

One thing I do like about these preorder goodies is that unlike ffxi gifts, once you register these items, they will be available to all new characters you make... unlike in ffxi where you had to pick only one character. I'm just pissed that by already paying them more for the CE we get screwed out of an item...

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - Kylin - 07-01-2010

I'm not very happy about the cost of extra characters ($3 each). It's absurd and 3x the amount compared to FFXI. I had intended to create 3 different characters. I don't see that being a possibility now. Someone has to get the axe and sadly both of them used to be fan favorites in FFXI RP >.>;

I don't think they're rushing though. In fact, I actually predicted September/October as the release date since back in January. I was still caught off guard but mostly because I expected such an announcement at a fan festival or something. Alpha testing was part of the overall beta testing and that lasted a bit over 2 months I believe. Another 3 months of testing will put us at 5 total months, which is pretty realistic and longer than what FFXI had.

I think the main problem with this announcement is the PS3 delay. Otherwise, I doubt anyone would have any big qualms over it. Hopefully they do end up pushing it forward. This could actually have a negative impact on some of the RP guilds in fact if half of their members or more were planning to play on PS3. And then what if the leader him/herself was planning to play on PS3? Yeah...ouch. This will actually be a topic of discussion in the upcoming "emergency" council meeting in the next week or so.

Also, I think the garlond goggles will just be the equivalent of FFXI's empress band or something. Nothing too major. Probably only has so many charges whereas the onion helm lasts forever. Just a guess though.

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - Seraphine Felstar - 07-01-2010

Quote:Also, I think the garlond goggles will just be the equivalent of FFXI's empress band or something. Nothing too major. Probably only has so many charges whereas the onion helm lasts forever. Just a guess though.

My guess is that they gave that set the goggles to off set the fact a lot of the hardcore players that can afford it (and some that can't) will go for the extra week of playtime. For $75 it better last forever and also bring you freshly squeezed juice for breakfast :p

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - Blade - 07-01-2010

Yeah, I dunno, I really hate all this preorder crap that all games are doing these days. When I'm flooring $50-$75 for a game, especially if I'm buying a collector's edition, I expect that I should get all of it. Basically they've tossed their fanbase a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" choice between two items, which just seems like bad PR... but it's SE, I suppose.

Might be something like an Empress Band with charges that you toss away although they seem to be hyping it up a bit, especially since once you register it, it will be there for every single character that you make in the future. But then again, SE does like to hype things up a LOT and then surprise you with something lackluster lol. Onion helm probably shaves 15 seconds off of a 5 minute weakened timer (but hey, at least you get to wear that wicked hat).

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - headlessorpheus - 07-02-2010

If someone could clarify this: will we only be allowed one character at launch if we want to pay the default monthly sub? If so, how horribly archaic of them. I hope that enough movement against this $3.00 an extra character slot will have them drop this PR shattering business.

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - Aveline - 07-02-2010

headlessorpheus Wrote:If someone could clarify this: will we only be allowed one character at launch if we want to pay the default monthly sub? If so, how horribly archaic of them. I hope that enough movement against this $3.00 an extra character slot will have them drop this PR shattering business.

Yeah right now it is 1 character for the monthly fee, then $3 per extra and $1 per extra retainer.

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - headlessorpheus - 07-02-2010

That's horrible!

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - Pointy-Eared Molly - 07-02-2010

Indeed it is! It's been awhile since I've seen a game that will actually do that. I was sort of hoping to not only roll the character I have rping in here but others I've yet to fully develop. Sad

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - Akashi - 07-02-2010

Oy.. I just can't believe it. 3$ per character would be fine if it was a one time purchase.. but added to the monthly fee? That's just robbery. I can't imagine that model will make it to live.. how could it..

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - Guest - 07-03-2010

Not really robbery when you think about other games. In the other MMOs each character can only have one or two jobs, while in FF you can play all of those available. In XI people some bought for an extra character, but some bought for storage; though I don't know the percentage breakdown. So in XIV they give you what it sounds to me like a free mule (retainer) with your main character. Now I figured because this was a bump up from XI that we would at least be paying $15-16/month, but they kept it the same $12.99. The only option available for them to create more revenue was to up the cost of those who wanted the luxury of having a secondary character. Personally I never really got why someone would want an alt though.

PS. don't nit-pick: I know there is a 4cent diff b/t the FFXI v FFXIV sub (negligible).
Tongue

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - Renaise - 07-03-2010

Ignoring the need for mule use (which Im not sure we will need this time around so much) I think it affects RPers more really than most because lots of us tend to like to make various characters for RP purposes. Now that isnt going to be financially viable for a lot of people.

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - Shamadconde - 07-03-2010

I actually looked up the Vanadiel Census of 2009 looking for that answer. They haven't published the one for this year yet. According to it, something around 62% of the total characters were level 1. I've always considered the extra fee for mules as something that made sense. A single FFXI character probably takes up more server space than one in WoW for example. To put in WoW terms, a single FFXI character is roughly equivalent to 20 WoW characters I would think. I think the fact that SE is charging $1 for storage characters and $3 for full up characters just means the FFXIV avatars are much more complex than FFXI. It's just my opinion but there it is. I do agree it sucks for those who want to play multiple characters. I think if you're willing to put up with being restricted by the mechanics of a storage character (however it's done) you could always have that one be a townie or something. A non-adventurer if you will. Just a thought.

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - ArmachiA - 07-03-2010

I had to narrow my list from 6 to 3, but you know what? No one can RP 6 characters regularly XD. I managed to do so with 3 on Aion, so this is just keeping me in check

Re: Release date announced! Sept. 30, 2010 - Ellion Goto - 07-06-2010

It's a thought. I wanted to play one of each character (except for a Mi'Qote... never got into being a cat) originally. I do think that kinda blows because it limits your evaluation of the races unless you delete your progress. Oh well though, that is the way of things. It forced me to change Ellion to a Roedagyn because I wanted to play that race this round but didn't want to pay an additional 3 dollars for two hyurs and a Roedagyn. We'll see though, I may end up yet forking that over till Star Wars: The Old Republic domes out just to evaluate. Also Dunefolk Lalafells are awesome.