Hydaelyn Role-Players
So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. (/showthread.php?tid=12857)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Kurt S. - 08-05-2015

(Disclaimer: I know no shit)
Ah gad this brings me back to a particularly weird and amusing the sesh in the first incarnation of Kat.

Now I'll skip some of the details and go straight to answering the question.

According to my cousins and their horror stories as well as bio studies women bleed during that phase(well duh).

So when it came up I ended up sort of applying the concept of B4B to the inner beast state. So she's bleeding and expending more blood because she can barely control the strength of her strikes and most of the blood goes to her muscles for those meaty sweetdelicious swings. Until she gets exhausted. She also couldnt really control the inner beast and as a product was a lot more violent and aggrressive.

I'd guess for DRKs it amps their magical attks and the darkside in general. I'd like to think the magical attacks are sort of like physical manifestations of the inner moodiness. Much like doing math to make arcanima come to life. I still have to develop Kat's dorkeside.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - KitKat - 08-05-2015

I don't even want to think about my own period every month. I especially don't want to have to worry about my characters'.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Caspar - 08-06-2015

It makes your spell casting fizzle.

Oh wait, wrong setting. >_<

It might be better not to bother worrying about this unless you want it to become a plot point for some reason in a storyline. For some it could be too debilitating for a time to do much else but deal with it, which would limit interactions in that interval. And yeah, it's not something everyone wants to be reminded of...

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Flickering Ember - 08-06-2015

(08-05-2015, 04:58 PM)War Siren Wrote: Right, right. But again I'm not talking about your average woman. Smile I know those affects. I'm talking about these users of these forces that are very much kept under control by mental states and emotions.

Which yes you did cover in your first post!

Really what I'm trying to get people theorycrafting about is what effects this time period would have on those powers. 

and I agree with you I do think a Dark Knight would find it easier to channel during this period, and based on how she's affected mood wise by this period, would go to play into her personality and personal reactions etc.

Example, War Siren who is already a bit cynical and moody in my mind would be slightly more on edge and easier to anger. That part was never in question, where as say Nicoco Coco (my alt.) would get weirdly more happy and have weird food cravings. etc.

I think theorycrafting on how menstrual cycles affect these powers goes off of a few posts already written here. Specifically, that emotional instability is a negative stereotype and an exaggeration. I feel like choosing to make periods as anything more than a footnote can be irrelevant at best and offensive at its worst. To call attention the effects of menstrual emotions on super powers inadvertently implies that women are irrational at this time. (Even if you're looking at it from the 'not an average woman' perspective)

That may not be your intention, but I would suggest treading lightly here.

I would say RPing menstrual symptoms linked to job superpowers as anything more than 'subtle' would be over doing it. It's a biological function, not a mental illness. I'm only half sure of what you're going for in RP with this. I would recommend not using periods at all and instead go for mental illness or an emotional temperament. 
Unless the period is a tie in to a theme of your character's. (For example, a coming of age story where said character is grasping what the idea of 'womanhood' means to her)

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - -no longer matters- - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 04:04 AM)Flickering Ember Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 04:58 PM)War Siren Wrote: Right, right. But again I'm not talking about your average woman. Smile I know those affects. I'm talking about these users of these forces that are very much kept under control by mental states and emotions.

Which yes you did cover in your first post!

Really what I'm trying to get people theorycrafting about is what effects this time period would have on those powers. 

and I agree with you I do think a Dark Knight would find it easier to channel during this period, and based on how she's affected mood wise by this period, would go to play into her personality and personal reactions etc.

Example, War Siren who is already a bit cynical and moody in my mind would be slightly more on edge and easier to anger. That part was never in question, where as say Nicoco Coco (my alt.) would get weirdly more happy and have weird food cravings. etc.

I think theorycrafting on how menstrual cycles affect these powers goes off of a few posts already written here. Specifically, that emotional instability is a negative stereotype and an exaggeration. I feel like choosing to make periods as anything more than a footnote can be irrelevant at best and offensive at its worst. To call attention the effects of menstrual emotions on super powers inadvertently implies that women are irrational at this time. (Even if you're looking at it from the 'not an average woman' perspective)

That may not be your intention, but I would suggest treading lightly here.

I would say RPing menstrual symptoms linked to job superpowers as anything more than 'subtle' would be over doing it. It's a biological function, not a mental illness. I'm only half sure of what you're going for in RP with this. I would recommend not using periods at all and instead go for mental illness or an emotional temperament. 
Unless the period is a tie in to a theme of your character's. (For example, a coming of age story where said character is grasping what the idea of 'womanhood' means to her)
But scientifically the cycle does cause hormonal imbalance which does effect emotions and moods, and as stated effects every one differently. Men's IMS, does almost the exact same thing mentally/emotionally. 

I do wonder how many people here have finished the Warrior and or Dark Knight quest lines and grasp how a Hormonal induced mood swing could throw the balance off kilter of these two classes "balance". (again I'm dragging Men's IMS as well.)

I really think to flat out tell someone to drop something that is a natural cycle of life, that could actually affect the characters balance depending on how they deal with the influx of Hormonal balance is a tad bit closed minded as both of these natural processes could play a very interesting twist onto the character for a few days a month. 

Remember the people who take up these mantles aren't like you or me or even your mages or paladins anymore. They're struggling internally for a balance, and while yes some may not be affected at all by it because it doesn't bother them much some may be teetering to lose control on a daily basis and this cycle would be cause for alarm for them mentally.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Kiur - 08-06-2015

I've already said my piece but I'm just gonna go ahead and toss out the fact that I really like this thread. 
Discussions like this help break down the silly "Taboo" of the subject. It's no more or less gross than talking about some other bathroom-based bodily functions.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - -no longer matters- - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 09:50 AM)Kiur Wrote: I've already said my piece but I'm just gonna go ahead and toss out the fact that I really like this thread. 
Discussions like this help break down the silly "Taboo" of the subject. It's no more or less gross than talking about some other bathroom-based bodily functions.
It does yes. Honestly when I create a character I try to think of every small detail. (I do with with my comic book creations too.) 

I still feel with the nature of these powers the mood swings depending on how you are affected by this would affect the powers too a point. 

I do have IMS about every other month for a few days. During that time, I get angrier a lot easier, generally in a bad mood and slightly depressed, and pretty bad headaches. Knowing how I am affected by IMS and knowing the nature of Darkside and The Inner Beast is why I brought this up to spark conversation. I already know how I think it would affect War. I wanted to see if others have had this same line of thought especially with these two "powers" or if I was an oddball for thinking that far into detail.

If you're curious:
Show Content

Being as Crass as she is too, she'd have no issue throwing it into a conversation as an aside like it was just regular everyday speech. It wouldn't be a plot point per-say but could change how certain scenario's are played out during those days of the month (and yes I do have it figured out when and keep track.) 

Again I really apologize if this conversation made anyone uncomfortable, but I think if you RP as either a Dark Knight, or Warrior this is something to be considered for your character more so than any other Job/Class in the game.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Kiur - 08-06-2015

Kiur isn't much of anything ICly yet. She'll need some kind of mentor before she'd be able to evolve into anything. Right now she's mostly in Mad Scientist Mode with heavy armor. (I do main a Dark Knight, though).

Would be interesting to go all-in with Dark Knight lore.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Reiner Dorn - 08-06-2015

When it was brought up last night, Reiners reaction was. -Did she just...yeah...she did- Herp-derps off around the table. I've been married, this isn't gross to me anymore, who cares.

(08-06-2015, 12:02 PM)Kiur Wrote: Kiur isn't much of anything ICly yet. She'll need some kind of mentor before she'd be able to evolve into anything. Right now she's mostly in Mad Scientist Mode with heavy armor. (I do main a Dark Knight, though).

Would be interesting to go all-in with Dark Knight lore.
I've pretty much turned myself into a Dark Knight lore geek, plus the other thread I started is a terrific lore resource for upcoming DRKs, so if you ever need any thing or just want someone to talk shop. Please feel free to friend me. Big Grin

(08-06-2015, 12:03 PM)Reiner Dorn Wrote: When it was brought up last night, Reiners reaction was. -Did she just...yeah...she did- Herp-derps off around the table. I've been married, this isn't gross to me anymore, who cares.
You've RPed enough with me that shouldn't have even shocked you. Tongue

I tried ingame, are you on an alt or anything?

(08-06-2015, 12:12 PM)Kiur Wrote: I tried ingame, are you on an alt or anything?
At work atm. I'll be on after 8pm est though!

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Erik Mynhier - 08-06-2015

So this is the topic that gets a post out of me........

<NURSE ERIK TO THE RESCUE>
The emotional ups and downs of a woman on her cycle can be uncomfortable, but often times are exaggerated as a stereotype. "The crazy woman!!!!" To the question of would it effect emotion-based job skills..... Unless we are talking unnatural hormonal levels due to say ovarian cancer, thyroid cancer or some other form of medical mutation or condition such as pregnancy, normal emotional outcrops I do not think it would effect much. This isn't the late 1800's, we know better then those who coined the term "hysteria".

Disclaimer: I am no lady, but am a medically trained professional, as well as a former service member who served in Iraq and Afghanistan with women in combat situations. As far as I could tell their cycles were never an issue to their performance or professionalism either at rest or under fire..... Now to lighten the mood.

(08-06-2015, 12:21 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: So this is the topic that gets a post out of me........

<NURSE ERIK TO THE RESCUE>
The emotional ups and downs of a woman on her cycle can be uncomfortable, but often times are exaggerated as a stereotype. "The crazy woman!!!!" To the question of would it effect emotion-based job skills..... Unless we are talking unnatural hormonal levels due to say ovarian cancer, thyroid cancer or some other form of medical mutation or condition such as pregnancy, normal emotional outcrops I do not think it would effect much. This isn't the late 1800's, we know better then those who coined the term "hysteria".

Disclaimer: I am no lady, but am a medically trained professional, as well as a former service member who served in Iraq and Afghanistan with women in combat situations. As far as I could tell their cycles were never an issue to their performance or professionalism either at rest or under fire..... Now to lighten the mood.

Right, but Darkside and Beast within are affected by emotional states of mind. A good example is the post 50 Warrior quests
Show Content
, and Dark Knights are purely emotionally fueled. So that poses the question of just how fragile a balance powers like these are that they can be swayed so easily by emotions and mental state depending on how the character is affected by PMS or IMS it can have negative (or possibly positive) affects on these certain powers. You really can't compare these to real life combat situations because these draw on fantasy elements that play into the psyche.

It's more of how does these fluctuation in mood affect the powers. As stated it affects everyone differently but it's still something to ponder on.