Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) (/showthread.php?tid=11370)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - ArmachiA - 04-29-2015

Au Ra is the new ish, so a bunch of people will Fantasia to them because they don't roleplay and it;s not as big of a decision and then... a lot of them will fantasia out. These kinds of things always balance themselves out. I personally think the Au Ra will take quite a few Miqo players, which is fine because when the server is 50% Miqo I would like to see more diversity.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Max - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 05:46 PM)Iex Wrote: -snip-

I apologize in advance for missing the point but I have to ask... what does this rant have to do with the topic at hand?

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Zyrusticae - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 05:59 PM)Iex Wrote: ./giggle fit.

And then... oh god.. as I know what the person is about to do.
What am I about to do?

Besides shrug, I mean. And go take a nap. Mmm, nap time... Sleepy

(04-29-2015, 06:05 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Au Ra is the new ish, so a bunch of people will Fantasia to them because they don't roleplay and it;s not as big of a decision and then... a lot of them will fantasia out. These kinds of things always balance themselves out. I personally think the Au Ra will take quite a few Miqo players, which is fine because when the server is 50% Miqo I would like to see more diversity.
Pretty much, yeah. It'll be nice to at least see some more variety.

I still venture that cannibalizing Miqo'te players was totally unnecessary, but, well, it's not the worst thing ever.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Qhora Bajihri - 04-29-2015

Wow! That's kind of amazing. I knew they'd be popular, but over 50% people playing Au Ra? Wow. I'm not even anything. That's impressive.

That being said, it's 50% of people interested in replying to a survey based on whether or not they'll be playing Au Ra, so... Not too surprising or necessarily meaningful. I'm still impressed.

I'll be glad to see people enjoying the new and shiny, but I think it'll settle out. They'll still be popular once it settles out, but we'll be used to it by then.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Flickering Ember - 04-29-2015

I'm definitely interested in seeing the new census come September, if they still do it this year. I am definitely looking forward to it. I do expect some people will fantasia for a little bit just because it's the new race. And then switch back to their original. But it does sound like even a lot of RPers are making Au Ra their main. But by September, I think we'll be able to see a more accurate picture of how Au Ra will switch up the break downs than now or shortly after launch.

Still though, I don't think it would be unjustified to say that Au Ra will be at least as numerous as hyur and miqo'te in the long run.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Wymsical - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 05:39 PM)allgivenover Wrote: I still believe the hype will die off and they won't end up being as popular in the long term as Miqo'te.

This is what my vote's on. I've seen a lot of comments and sentiments from Miqo'te non-RPer players who don't think Au Ra are as pretty as Miqo'te.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - ArmachiA - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 06:12 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: I still venture that cannibalizing Miqo'te players was totally unnecessary, but, well, it's not the worst thing ever.

Thing is, they gotta cannibalize SOMETHING and it's probably better to cannibalize the most populous race then the least populous ones. I would actually hate to see a stark drop in, say, Roe females over the Au Ra, there's already so few.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Fox - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 07:25 PM)ArmachiA Wrote:
(04-29-2015, 06:12 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: I still venture that cannibalizing Miqo'te players was totally unnecessary, but, well, it's not the worst thing ever.

Thing is, they gotta cannibalize SOMETHING and it's probably better to cannibalize the most populous race then the least populous ones. I would actually hate to see a stark drop in, say, Roe females over the Au Ra, there's already so few.

I personally don't think there will be a drop in Roe females over the au ra. Generally it's not based toward that 'genre' of rpers. But there may be some, yes I'm generalizing. But I think that the roe females will still be about what they are now. I personally like roe females they're super cool. Smile

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Jana - 04-30-2015

People who are here to be playing "the cute catgirl race" are going to change into playing "the cute demongirl race." Someone who's playing a Fem Highlander or Roe isn't likely going to Fantasia to a completely different set of aesthetics on a whim.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Jaran - 04-30-2015

(04-29-2015, 07:31 PM)Foxberry Wrote:
(04-29-2015, 07:25 PM)ArmachiA Wrote:

I personally don't think there will be a drop in Roe females over the au ra. Generally it's not based toward that 'genre' of rpers. But there may be some, yes I'm generalizing. But I think that the roe females will still be about what they are now. I personally like roe females they're super cool. Smile
Roe females are amazing. 
If I could ever be bothered to genderbend in RP, a Roe-gal would be my instant go-to.

Back on topic, I'm really not shocked that most of the Reddit community will be trying out (with the intentions of staying) Au Ra. They're the shiny new thing. As was mentioned, I don't see them staying #1 for very long, though. Miqo's and even Hyur will beat them out again in the long run.

I was actually 'cannibalized' from Miqo'te myself, but I really didn't RP much on him. When I saw the Au Ra, I started getting ideas that I actually wanted to RP, which led to me being more active in the RP community. People will play what they want to play; there's absolutely nothing wrong (or shocking, or bad) about that. Maybe it will even inspire a few others who identify as non-RPers (or barely-RPers) to come out of their shells and give it a(nother) try.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Steel Wolf - 04-30-2015

Personally, I find the data pretty affirming that people like new shiny, and that the design of the Au Ra has very obviously struck a nerve--people loves them some demon tail. :3

What this means for me and my personal playtime? Steel may have lots of demon dudes to mess with, and she'll be even more of a crystalline, lovely and rare snowflake due to her Magnificent Roeness. :D

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Wymsical - 04-30-2015

I'm sure this won't be anything like over 70% of the Horde suddenly rolling blood elves and staying that way. Cat people are a very popular trope and I assume they'll win out in the end, probably Midlanders too. RPers can forget that PvErs will sometimes switch to the new shiny race just for fun and switch back later if they feel like it. In RP, I don't think a few less Miqo'te and Midlanders would be such a bad thing, considering their large numbers. We'll see a lot of Au Ra when people are rolling alts and leveling them, same with the new classes. I expect in a few months it'll all die down and the numbers will balance again (probably with Miqo'te still in the highest.)

That's SE's goal anyway, for everyone to be excited for the new shiny things.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Warren Castille - 04-30-2015

Just wanted to point out there's no "them" doing any sort of cannibalizing. Everyone making the decision to change is doing so of their own accord, presumably, so there's no phantom boogeyman to blame.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - LiadansWhisper - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 12:24 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Just wanted to point out there's no "them" doing any sort of cannibalizing. Everyone making the decision to change is doing so of their own accord, presumably, so there's no phantom boogeyman to blame.

I'm blaming you, sir.  This is all your fault. Angry

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Flickering Ember - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 12:24 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Just wanted to point out there's no "them" doing any sort of cannibalizing. Everyone making the decision to change is doing so of their own accord, presumably, so there's no phantom boogeyman to blame.

People play what they want to play. Whether your choice is to play something popular or not is just making the choice an individual wants. You can infer trends and correlations through this type of data if properly gathered. The data itself can lead to interesting insights. Race breakdown before and after Au Ra as well as race breakdown among new subs particularly interest me. The census definitely played a huge part in making Au Ra. 

You can't tell much on an individual level but you can see how effective a new race is through the different types of data.

Edit: Oh derp, I really should have scrolled up. After reading some of the previous posts I missed out on, I'm going to add this:

I think what is being meant by 'cannibalizing' is not shaming people for playing what they want to play but seeing the flow of racial breakdowns with the inclusion of Au Ra. It's the difference of: How much Au Ra are completely new subscribers vs. how much of Au Ra are existing subscribers. Perhaps also considering what races reroll moreso over others. (According to this poll, the hardest hit are miqo'te and hyur)

But we won't really see accurate data until Census 2015.