Hydaelyn Role-Players
So new! Many questions! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: So new! Many questions! (/showthread.php?tid=9250)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: So new! Many questions! - banndsand - 12-15-2014

Getting into Balmung is proving more difficult than anticipated, as this is my third day trying. If anyone has any tips for times to hit the server with new characters, that would be awesome.

So far I've checked the website (here) at every interval, with no luck. I've also kept the game open on the server selection part of character creation and refreshed the server list every few minutes for as long as I'm at my computer, but this has not proven fruitful either, and makes it difficult to do much of anything else. I was hoping my bum luck was just because it was the weekend, but I've been up since 3AM PT trying and have yet to see a window.

I heard a good time is right before maintenance. Does anyone know when the next one might be so I can be prepared?

Thanks. :)

RE: So new! Many questions! - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-15-2014

I usually have the most luck between 2AM-6AM PST for making new characters, but with winter breaks from a lot of schools happening in the holiday season, that could get a little hard.

We're likely to have another maitenance within maybe....3-4 weeks? The Tokyo Fanfest is soon, so one after that is possible. (give us the Odin Trial SE!)

One thing you can do (if you haven't already) is design your character and save the appearance. That way, it's a much faster process to try getting into the server. Smile

RE: So new! Many questions! - Kage - 12-15-2014

Unfortunately, possibly, you tried during the weekend and very start of the week. If you still can't get in by trying at 4am PST during these weekdays the server is unfortunately very congested.

You've got your character creation appearance data all saved right?

Yes. Everything is saved. I wrote down names, birthdays and patron deities to make it quicker.

I've had my client open since this morning, refreshing the server list at the end of the creation process every few minutes.

Unfortunately the christmas break is why I can stay up so late and get up so early to do all this.

Are server transfers a possibility? For instance making a character on another server and transferring it to Balmung. Or would that be just as restricted?

RE: So new! Many questions! - Berrod Armstrong - 12-15-2014

(12-15-2014, 12:28 PM)banndsand Wrote: Yes. Everything is saved. I wrote down names, birthdays and patron deities to make it quicker.

I've had my client open since this morning, refreshing the server list at the end of the creation process every few minutes.

Unfortunately the christmas break is why I can stay up so late and get up so early to do all this.

Are server transfers a possibility? For instance making a character on another server and transferring it to Balmung. Or would that be just as restricted?
It'd be just as restricted! Try tomorrow morning between the hours of 8AM and 10AM EST!

RE: So new! Many questions! - Aysun - 12-15-2014

Setting an alarm to create your character early in the morning U.S. time is the way to go! Smile

RE: So new! Many questions! - Gegenji - 12-15-2014

(12-15-2014, 12:29 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(12-15-2014, 12:28 PM)banndsand Wrote: Yes. Everything is saved. I wrote down names, birthdays and patron deities to make it quicker.

It'd be just as restricted! Try tomorrow morning between the hours of 8AM and 10AM EST!

It'll also cost money for the transfer! I get up early for work, so I was lucky enough to slide Chachan in before heading off in the morning... around 7AM EST. Keep at it, you'll be hanging with us soon enough. Thumbsup

Hm alright. Thanks everyone. :)

Do you think it would be worth keeping my client open throughout the day or is it a zero-possibility until tomorrow morning?

RE: So new! Many questions! - Warren Castille - 12-15-2014

It's remotely possible refreshing during the day will find you a spot, but it's not fun to keep trying that. Seconding the idea to set an alarm for super-early and trying then.

Creation and transfers go hand-in-hand. ...except a transfer would cost money. It'd be a trade off of getting some of the PvE content done and paying to move when it's open, or starting fresh on Balmung when it's open.  

...I can say from experience that our datacenter (all of Aether should be shared for Duty Finder/Instances) that tanks and healers have faster queues that any DPS. (Which is pretty normal, given how many of each are possible). We do have many friendly people who are happy to help do said duties though!

I suppose wanting a transfer is just my impatience for the new experience talking. In reality, I want to make four characters, so I realise now that it would be terribly impractical.

For now I'll just refresh the server list and try to acquaint myself with the forum some (after all, it is full of really nice people from what I've seen so far :D ). Hopefully I'll be seeing you all in-game soon.

Thanks so much for answering all my questions. :)

RE: So new! Many questions! - Gegenji - 12-15-2014

Not a problem at all!

And don't forget, if you have a character in mind already, you don't have to wait until he's on the server to start playing with us! The Town Square is available for RP via forum posts, and you can start thinking more about your character's history, likes, and dislikes through the various threads in Character Development. Or even just goof off with rest of us in Off Topic.

That way, once you finally make it in, you'll have potential friends already there and waiting for you.

(12-15-2014, 01:12 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Not a problem at all!

And don't forget, if you have a character in mind already, you don't have to wait until he's on the server to start playing with us! The Town Square is available for RP via forum posts, and you can start thinking more about your character's history, likes, and dislikes through the various threads in Character Development. Or even just goof off with rest of us in Off Topic.

That way, once you finally make it in, you'll have potential friends already there and waiting for you.
^All of this.

Always feel free to poke us with questions!

RE: So new! Many questions! - Dasair - 12-15-2014

This is all sorts of late to the party, with most questions answered, but I just wanted to say welcome!  

And I hope you can get in soon.  I was lucky and managed to get in fairly easy at some odd time at night (I think it was just like 2 am?) PST.  Granted, that would be 5 am EST.  But that was during a weekday in the middle of the school year. *sweats*  Still, keep at it!

Also, to just mention a bit about lore in this game, a LOT of it can be found in the game itself.  Playing through the game was how I came to know most of the lore, since it isn't all neatly compiled on any site the way it can be found by actually playing through quests, talking to NPCS, or reading item descriptions and whatnot.  I'd also recommend if you cross a bit of lore during a quest or the story that you're like 'oh gosh, this is something I want to keep for my character / for inspiration later' screenshot it!  There's a lot to the game, and if you don't grab it, you might be finding yourself wondering about the specifics of it later.  Though, you could always ask here, of course.

But yeah, good luck getting in, and hope to see you around.  :>

(12-15-2014, 02:00 PM)Dasair Wrote: This is all sorts of late to the party, with most questions answered, but I just wanted to say welcome!  

And I hope you can get in soon.  I was lucky and managed to get in fairly easy at some odd time at night (I think it was just like 2 am?) PST.  Granted, that would be 5 am EST.  But that was during a weekday in the middle of the school year. *sweats*  Still, keep at it!

Also, to just mention a bit about lore in this game, a LOT of it can be found in the game itself.  Playing through the game was how I came to know most of the lore, since it isn't all neatly compiled on any site the way it can be found by actually playing through quests, talking to NPCS, or reading item descriptions and whatnot.  I'd also recommend if you cross a bit of lore during a quest or the story that you're like 'oh gosh, this is something I want to keep for my character / for inspiration later' screenshot it!  There's a lot to the game, and if you don't grab it, you might be finding yourself wondering about the specifics of it later.  Though, you could always ask here, of course.

But yeah, good luck getting in, and hope to see you around.  :>
Thanks for the welcome and the luck. :)

I am really excited to see all the lore in-game. That is usually how I get a lot of my ideas for characters. I never thought about taking screenshots of the game for that reason, though. It sounds quite useful, so thanks for the tip! :D