Hydaelyn Role-Players
In-game summer item campaign for EU - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: In-game summer item campaign for EU (/showthread.php?tid=16706)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Kage - 07-12-2016

The thread was deleted eds
:/

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Kilieit - 07-12-2016

[Image: 557d3f93d6.png]
(bigger)

Show Content

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Cato - 07-12-2016

(07-12-2016, 03:20 PM)Kage Wrote: The thread was deleted eds
:/

It's back up now - a community representative stated that it was taken down to be cleaned up and implied that if people post inappropriate responses there's a genuine risk that it'll be removed altogether.

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Swanmay - 07-12-2016

I never expected this to cause so much friction since I don't regularly peruse the SE forums and got this off tumblr.

IMO I've never heard of this magazine let alone seen it anywhere for sale. I'll have a look on Thursday at my local Morrisons. It could be good, it could be crap. As long as it's only a few quid I don't really mind... Worst comes to worst I can read it when I go away on Saturday.

That being said, I personally don't agree with SE making us UK players pay extra just so we can get what everyone else has! There's no reason we should have to! It's exactly the same with collector's editions! And don't even get me started on the EU vs US Squeenix stores! For years now they have been hiking up the prices for us EU residents and I don't understand it. Why should we have to pay more?

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Jana - 07-13-2016

Anyway though, this sucks for English players. Hopefully the rest of the EU will get something better, maybe something that can be an alternative for England. Though probably not.

*Mod edit has been made, linked to other action to keep the topic from derailing.

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Kage - 07-13-2016

I've heard and read but not fully understood... EU trade laws tend to complicate promotional stuff like this? Something something something? I know part of the EU laws are why a lot of video games have several language options and all that. It sounds very complicated to run international promo campaigns that business lawyers have to read through and make sure things go 'ok'.

Me thinks SE EU majorly fucked up with this outdated idea of which there are several issues I have with it (but it's not just SE EU).

Both SE EU and SE Japan have campaigns that rely on resources that sell out (magazines vs specific drink items).

SE EU forces the UK players to have to wait almost 3 months to get the entire set of items that (at least) NA players were able to get all at once.

Not quite as alarming, the relative difference in cost. I don't remember how many points were required to get all the items in the Japanese promo event and how much the drinks cost. UK will need to pay roughly $30 versus roughly $20 that NA players paid.

Fuck everyone who says people who have complaints are 'entitled'. No one is asking for this to be free. People would just like to be able to have the relative ease that others had it. (Also, again, there's no real evidence that NA players taking advantage of the Amazon loopholes caused this dumbfuckery that I attribute solely to SE EU so far.)

We still don't know what other regions in the EU will get as their campaigns but they are eligible to participate (somewhat) in the one currently targeted at UK players. As such this poorly implemented campaign still affects them.

I understand this is a promo but really it sounds like having to run through a maze in a marathon to get the items.

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Lutka - 07-13-2016

(07-13-2016, 11:40 AM)Kage Wrote: I've heard and read but not fully understood... EU trade laws tend to complicate promotional stuff like this? Something something something? I know part of the EU laws are why a lot of video games have several language options and all that. It sounds very complicated to run international promo campaigns that business lawyers have to read through and make sure things go 'ok'.

Not quite as alarming, the relative difference in cost. I don't remember how many points were required to get all the items in the Japanese promo event and how much the drinks cost. UK will need to pay roughly $30 versus roughly $20 that NA players paid.

It has to go through multiple countries to be accepted and it turns into a tedious procedure that takes a very long time. One of the main reasons why Europe tends to get the short stick in the gaming industry (not just because of language requirements but also that the marketing procedures become a pain in the butt) I commend SE for at least giving multiple promotions across difference countries in this case because it does in fact makes things a little bit easier. 

I can confirm that it was around $26 (give or take cents) for the Japanese Promo in total, according to my friend who plays there. NA definitely got the better hand in the promotion with significantly greater options (JP had a select choice of drinks, UK has one single magazine option) as well as price. I can also confirm that if someone wants to ensure they get the third code in the UK event, which has the butler/maid outfit, plus the other two magazines they do have to pay $34 in total.

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Maril - 07-13-2016

(07-13-2016, 11:40 AM)Kage Wrote: I've heard and read but not fully understood... EU trade laws tend to complicate promotional stuff like this? Something something something? I know part of the EU laws are why a lot of video games have several language options and all that. It sounds very complicated to run international promo campaigns that business lawyers have to read through and make sure things go 'ok'.

Me thinks SE EU majorly fucked up with this outdated idea of which there are several issues I have with it (but it's not just SE EU).

Both SE EU and SE Japan have campaigns that rely on resources that sell out (magazines vs specific drink items).

SE EU forces the UK players to have to wait almost 3 months to get the entire set of items that (at least) NA players were able to get all at once.

Fuck everyone who says people who have complaints are 'entitled'. No one is asking for this to be free. People would just like to be able to have the relative ease that others had it. (Also, again, there's no real evidence that NA players taking advantage of the Amazon loopholes caused this dumbfuckery that I attribute solely to SE EU so far.)

We still don't know what other regions in the EU will get as their campaigns but they are eligible to participate (somewhat) in the one currently targeted at UK players. As such this poorly implemented campaign still affects them.

I understand this is a promo but really it sounds like having to run through a maze in a marathon to get the items.

Yes, the laws do tend to cause issues. It's also why you sometimes see give-aways and other such promotions where certain countries despite being in the EU are excluded. I faintly remember, but back in Rift I think it was The Netherlands that tended to get excluded because whatever give-aways (like through streams) that were done ended up getting caught in some variety of anti-pyramid-scheme laws, which only the Netherlands has. 
There's only certain areas where the law that's in place comes straight from the EU, and some countries like Denmark has exceptions/reservations where they're basically holding the right to make laws within a certain area without the EU sticking it's nose in things.
I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for them making campaigns different from country to country is because of these laws, beyond the fact that you'll be hard pushed to find anything that distributes the same thing to all of the EU.   
I wish I had anything I could link you but I can't really seem to find anything that explains it.

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Edgar - 07-13-2016

I feel so sorry for you guys across the pond. This is some bullshit.

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Gabineaux - 07-13-2016

(07-12-2016, 01:41 PM)Parth Makeo Wrote: Japan: Buy shit at 7/11
USA: Buy min $20 physical item about gaming.
EU: SUBSCRIBE TO OUR MAGAZINE FOR THREE MONTHS AND GET ALL THE GOODIES! 

Yeah that seems...Fair...
If i could i would give you my Mask Codes i still have yet to redeem (since I think they are quite ugly. Especially Titan)

Canada: Lumped in with the USA. Buy something, ANYTHING from Amazon.com that will ship to Canada. If it's over $20, well deal with it. It will most likely be over $20. If it never arrived.. (in my case) too bad.

I paid $65 for in game items I guess? lol. Never got the game I ordered. They won't refund me or re-send the game until the item they allegedly shipped returns to them. It arrived in Canada two weeks ago, never saw anything. Nothing on the door, nothing at the post office. Nothing at all. Called Amazon twice, they said too bad, this is the policy blah blah.

Dealing with American Amazon has always been in a pain in the ass to me. Always. In my case I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the game on my doorstep and walked off, not waiting for a signature and someone walked by and picked it up. In that case that's just Canada's shitty postal service. Rolleyes But hey at least I didn't have to take a picture of myself for strangers. I'll take over paying $40 over that. That's just strange. Why the fuck do they need pictures of people?

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Kage - 07-13-2016

To reiterate, you don't need to have your face in the picture.

Though seriously, taking a picture? >->

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Gabineaux - 07-14-2016

(07-13-2016, 04:19 PM)Kage Wrote: To reiterate, you don't need to have your face in the picture.

That still seems kind of overboard, doesn't it? Is there really going to be someone looking at each individual picture to make sure each individual person has each issue?

edit: on second thought maybe I shouldn't ...I SHOULDN'T POST THAT LMFAO NAAWW NOOO NAAHHH NUH UUHHH

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Rosamund - 07-14-2016

I haven't read a physical magazine in well over a decade and don't plan on starting again now. Will they even have enough printed to meet demand? I read in the official forums thread that their circulation is significantly smaller than the EU playerbase. And having to send a photo is just the cherry on the already ridiculous cake.

I think I'll pass.

Edit: If anyone is considering subscribing to get all three, see below from the official forums.

Quote:WARNING: âš 

I ordered a Gamesmaster subscription as soon as it was announced (before the issues started) because the website *CLEARLY* stated that it would begin with the next issue (which would be August - 306). Once I got my account access I checked & it said it would begin with the September issue - 307. Obviously I was annoyed & emailed them & still await a response.

At 23:15 BST I received an email from Gamesmaster stating my subscription begins with the OCTOBER issue (308). I'm fuming. I have been misled right through the process from being told by the website I'd receive the next available issue right through to now being told I'll only get one of the three required.

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Nebbs - 07-14-2016

I note that you can get a digital subscription, does anyone know if this will have the codes in?

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/gaming/gamesmaster-magazine-subscription/#digital

[EDIT - as the print versions have the "too late for FFXIV offer" disclaimer, I expect the digital one does not count]

RE: In-game summer item campaign for EU - Kage - 07-14-2016

(07-14-2016, 02:43 AM)Arvid Greave Wrote:
(07-13-2016, 04:19 PM)Kage Wrote: To reiterate, you don't need to have your face in the picture.

That still seems kind of overboard, doesn't it? Is there really going to be someone looking at each individual picture to make sure each individual person has each issue?
Chutes and ladders this bit is. Seriously, taking a picture to get it. Wow. Mail-in rebates levels of what?

(07-14-2016, 06:18 AM)Nebbs Wrote: I note that you can get a digital subscription, does anyone know if this will have the codes in?
Digital does not count. The codes are hard copy prints inside of the magazines.

And again,
(07-12-2016, 09:41 AM)Kage Wrote: DO NOT SUBSCRIBE!!! IT IS TOO LATE TO GET THE TWO ISSUES YOU NEED!!!!!
You MUST buy the issues in stores or hope that you can get a back order copy from them. Subscribing only makes sure you get the last magazine.