Hydaelyn Role-Players
Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Fun Prompts (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) (/showthread.php?tid=15102)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - Nodem - 02-02-2016

OOC: I picked Oschon since it's the same month as Aoi's namesday. I generally do this with all characters I make, as it just seemed the way to go. I'll pick a diety before the month as well to make sure they match up.

IC: While a Raen, Aoi follows Oschon because she wanders a lot and through divine interventions he seems to always set her on a certain path. It just happens in RP without me going >INSERT OSCHON MIGHTY BECKON HERE< and she goes with it...

However she'll be speaking a bit more about the Dawn Father now. Though Oschon will always be her patron.

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - Lamia - 02-02-2016

OOC: When picking 'guardians' I always try and select one that would have meaning to my character, or their interests icly.

IC: Lamia, despite his ishgardian upbringing is a full blown athiest. He does not, in any way shape or form, think the twelve are actually real. But instead thinks halone is nothing more then an deity the founders of ishgard, and their church, made up in order to justify themselves and their actions against their own people. He refuses to follow this 'cult of halone' and when that earned him being branded as a heretic. He fled the city, and found a new life within the rest of eorzea. If anyone asks who he worships, he'll proudly say Jandelaine, because he's an asthetician.

Religion is a fun topic with him. XD

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - Martiallais - 02-04-2016

Martiallais is a fairly devout, if unorthodox, worshiper of Halone which is largely due in part to his being Ishgardian. It's who his father and family largely worshiped, of course, but he also has a special place in his heart (ha ha) for Menphina as both his sister and mother revered The Lover alongside The Fury. It makes for, IMO, a character with some interesting views. Ask him about it sometime!

Aedan is a bit less openly religious but gives honor to Rhalgr before and after his hunts and battles as his parents were from good ole Mhigo. Growing up in Limsa Lominsa and spending time at sea as (gasp) a pirate means that he also revers Llymlaen.

I haven't delved into this (yet!) on my new Hellsguard, Iron Storm, but I think I can narrow his 'patron' down to Nymeia the Spinner, Nald'Thal the Traders, or Althyk the Keeper.

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - As'elena - 02-04-2016

Maariya doesn't worship just one specific deity, but instead quite openly boasts that she pays her respect to all Twelve and is haughty enough to dub herself a servant to them.

She prays to different gods depending on the situation and what it is she wants. She actually believes to have been blessed by them and shouts quite some pious nonsense in battles as well.

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - Silinat - 02-04-2016

The Inquisition.

Praise, Halone!

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - Njira - 02-04-2016

U'nijira Odh reveered the diety Azeyma for the majority of her life.  The radiant warden who always weighed the scales of the traders, Nald and Thal, in her tribe's favor.  Balance between prosperity and scarcity, of life and death. 

A year or so leading up to the Calamity, the tribe was visited by a member of an ancient occult healer's circle.  This wandering ascetic gives Njira (And tribe) a plethora of wisdom, mostly in the from of riddles but he very carefully instructs her  (specifically) to worship the deity Menphina.  Njira, reluctant at first to follow the Keeper of the Moon's Deity, soon comes to embrace Menphina like the lost lover she represents.

To the current date, Njira still worships Menphina. She's been sent to study Conjury in the Still Glade Fane but has supposedly been denied accesss by the elementals. She looks to the goddess of love to calm her mind's fury when dealing with such rigid minds.   

This unexpected exclusion has pushed her to research the other deities and Eorzean history. She still identifies Menphina as her Deity of worship, though wants to learn the roles of the other deities and their stories.  Perhaps a pilgrimage in her near future is due. Tongue

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - C'kayah Polaali - 02-04-2016

Why, so he can blaspheme more effectively, of course!

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - TK Hikaru - 03-16-2016

Chou grew up in a house steeped in Ala Mhigan culture, worship of Rhalgr is par the course. 

Oschon is her patron however as I felt a god referred to as the Wanderer and stated to be a guardian of vagrants seemed an apt choice for a gangster at the time. While I feel he fits wandering bards and the such more, I get the feeling thieves would invoke him all the same.

Ironically, she invokes Rhalgr far more often than Oschon.

mostlybecauseIforgothowtospellOschonsname

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - Heidrek - 03-16-2016

Heidrek grew up instilled with a reverence of Rhalgar that all good little Ala Mhigan's should have. A good portion of his life has been spent trying to discern the truth of the Destroyer that isn't filtered the mouths of angry refugees.

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - SicketySix - 03-16-2016

I was always disappointed there wasn't a "None" option in the character creator. I know very little about the Deities in-game, so the best way around that is playing a character who doesn't really give a crap, and T'khoa doesn't.

However, being a sailor lends to superstitions and the like, so he would believe in them, but just not really care that much about it.

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - Heidrek - 03-16-2016

(03-16-2016, 08:35 AM)T Wrote: I was always disappointed there wasn't a "None" option in the character creator. I know very little about the Deities in-game, so the best way around that is playing a character who doesn't really give a crap, and T'khoa doesn't.

You could always treat them like some treat horoscopes. You don't have to think of it as anything but garbage but your birthday still makes you fall under one sign or another. Thumbsup

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - Andromeda - 03-17-2016

Andromeda's philosophy on deities is "I leave them alone and they leave me alone." As for the worship of deities, she sees it as a way to maintain oppression of others without worrying about social ramifications. It's easy to hurt someone if a God commanded it.

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - Smagon - 03-17-2016

I wish they would clarify what goes into belief in the dusk mother. I don't know what I should be saying about it on a Xaela character if asked about it.

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - A'vlan of Sharlayan - 03-17-2016

A'vlan reveres Thaliak by virtue of his Sharlayan upbringing! He's the nation's patron deity, after all, and seeing as Knowledge Seeks No Man, it makes sense enough to invoke The Scholar's blessing in seeking it out himself.

That being said, he still holds a belief in the entire pantheon.

RE: Why does your Character revere a certain Deity? (Or Not) - Gabineaux - 03-17-2016

Little bit of the wanderer, little bit of the navigator. That way when he's on the right track it's the navigator's doing. If he's lost, oschon can take care of it. Always taken care of. La Noscea pride?
Tonberry