Hydaelyn Role-Players
So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. (/showthread.php?tid=12857)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Roda - 08-05-2015

Hooray one of my favorite topics!
I'd imagine most polite Eorzean ladies would have a rag/gauze pad to absorb stray uterine gore.  The less privileged folk might just let the gore leak where the gore wants to leak.

As for DRK powers, eh, it really does depend on the individual.  Though, personally, if I'd have it do anything at all, I'd have it make it easier for the DRK to channel their magicks.  Not empower them, or make them more wild, just easier to manage.
Show Content

Also, does Eorzea have races that don't have shark week?
I'd imagine Miqo'tes to absorb their uterine lining like cats do.

Also also, don't forget there are many more symptoms to the red rose blossoming than just blood and emotions!

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Aaron - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 04:03 PM)War Siren Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 03:45 PM)Faye Wrote: As for tampons or some equivalent, it's called "on the rag" for a reason. There are times/cultures where rags were used, or also times where women just kinda bled freely. As for it effecting your character... just depends on your own discretion about how moody your character would be and her self-control/willpower? A woman's period certainly affects her state of mind, but it's different for all women, and doesn't like... turn any of us into axe-murderers.
No I get that for the average woman that's true. But I'm talking about one that's already exercising intense will power to keep these two emotional based powers in check. Like I said you'd have to figure they are already under a ton of duress to keep either their Darkside or Inner Beast in check as is. I mean Other practices and classes I don't see this being an Issue (maybe a Monk's Chakra.)
I don't think it really requires 24/7 non stop attention to keep the dark side/inner beast in check.

If it did pretty sure all WAR/DRK would be in mental institutions because all they think about is going crazy over trivial stuff.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - -no longer matters- - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 04:15 PM)Roda Wrote: Hooray one of my favorite topics!
I'd imagine most polite Eorzean ladies would have a rag/gauze pad to absorb stray uterine gore.  The less privileged folk might just let the gore leak where the gore wants to leak.

As for DRK powers, eh, it really does depend on the individual.  Though, personally, if I'd have it do anything at all, I'd have it make it easier for the DRK to channel their magicks.  Not empower them, or make them more wild, just easier to manage.
Show Content

Also also, don't forget there are many more symptoms to the red rose blossoming than just blood and emotions!
Right this was about what I was thinking too, maybe even put them a little more on edge,and a tad bit angrier.
(08-05-2015, 04:16 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 03:45 PM)Faye Wrote: As for tampons or some equivalent, it's called "on the rag" for a reason. There are times/cultures where rags were used, or also times where women just kinda bled freely. As for it effecting your character... just depends on your own discretion about how moody your character would be and her self-control/willpower? A woman's period certainly affects her state of mind, but it's different for all women, and doesn't like... turn any of us into axe-murderers.
No I get that for the average woman that's true. But I'm talking about one that's already exercising intense will power to keep these two emotional based powers in check. Like I said you'd have to figure they are already under a ton of duress to keep either their Darkside or Inner Beast in check as is. I mean Other practices and classes I don't see this being an Issue (maybe a Monk's Chakra.)
I don't think it really requires 24/7 non stop attention to keep the dark side/inner beast in check.

If it did pretty sure all WAR/DRK would be in mental institutions because all they think about is going crazy over trivial stuff.
You'd be surprised, the Warrior quest line
Show Content

And Your Darkside as a DRK
Show Content

So I do think it is something both would think about, maybe not every waking second but enough it that it was always something in the back of their mind they were conscience about.

Hence why I posed my question, I think this could potentially be a much more dangerous cycle for Warriors than Dark Knights though.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Virella - 08-05-2015

And mind you, women do not only get angry when they are on that time of the month, as many seem to believe. Heck, I have a friend who gets disgustingly happy. Another who gets in the mood for... you know. I get tired and get the urge to sleep.

Bodies are strange.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Aaron - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 04:25 PM)War Siren Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 04:15 PM)Roda Wrote: Hooray one of my favorite topics!

Show Content

Right this was about what I was thinking too, maybe even put them a little more on edge,and a tad bit angrier.
(08-05-2015, 04:16 PM)Aaron Wrote:

You'd be surprised, the Warrior quest line
Show Content

And Your Darkside as a DRK
Show Content

So I do think it is something both would think about, maybe not every waking second but enough it that it was always something in the back of their mind they were conscience about.

Hence why I posed my question, I think this could potentially be a much more dangerous cycle for Warriors than Dark Knights though.
If it was really that difficult to deal with when not in combat you'd expect the art to be thrown away because the negative outweighs the positives.

I know I would if for some reason I could be consumed just because I have a headache. Not like I go looking for things to slap with my dark power.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Flickering Ember - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 03:00 PM)Kiur Wrote: Periods put us off kilter but it doesn't tend to change our entire being, opposed to what comedians think.

Right, the idea that women get angry and crazy around period time is mostly a myth. Mood changes are a symptom but they're not as common as people make them out to be and are highly exaggerated. Mood change is one of the few symptoms I experience OOC, but it's depression rather than aggression. Periods do vastly differ between women so trying to pin down how 'periods should be portrayed' is tough. Every woman's is different!
Personally, I have very mild periods that barely hinder me. Many times I don't even get a single cramp for the duration. 

I would just go with what medieval eras used for bleeding. Eorzea isn't particularly technologically advantaged--that's Garlemald.  Eorzea only tends to make up for technological advances with magic. (Ice crystals for ice boxes, for example)
Mostly what I know of for that would be re-usable rags, similar to pads, but probably not as convenient or comfortable.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Roda - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 04:25 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: And mind you, women do not only get angry when they are on that time of the month, as many seem to believe. Heck, I have a friend who gets disgustingly happy. Another who gets in the mood for... you know. I get tired and get the urge to sleep.

Bodies are strange.
^Yup this!

Possible bodily events:
Bleeding (duh)
Cramps (duh)
Acne
Headaches/migraines
Lower back pain (due to cramps)
Weak/sore thighs (due to cramps)
Sore/tender and swollen breasts
Bloating
Poops/no poops (Or worse, BOTH!)
Cravings for specific nutrients (salty stuff, sugary stuff, fatty stuff, etc)

More emotional events:
Anger (well more agitation)
Hyperness 
Depression
Anxiety/Existential dread at the ever encroaching void
Horniness
Lethargy

Some women can experience all of these symptoms, some women can experience some of these symptoms, and some can experience only the gore.  

Show Content

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - -no longer matters- - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 04:56 PM)Roda Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 04:25 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: And mind you, women do not only get angry when they are on that time of the month, as many seem to believe. Heck, I have a friend who gets disgustingly happy. Another who gets in the mood for... you know. I get tired and get the urge to sleep.

Bodies are strange.
^Yup this!

Possible bodily events:
Bleeding (duh)
Cramps (duh)
Acne
Headaches/migraines
Bloating

More emotional events:
Hyperness 
Depression
Horniness
Lethargy

Some women can experience all of these symptoms, some women can experience some of these symptoms, and some can experience only the gore.  

Show Content
Right, right. But again I'm not talking about your average woman. Smile I know those affects. I'm talking about these users of these forces that are very much kept under control by mental states and emotions.

Which yes you did cover in your first post!

Really what I'm trying to get people theorycrafting about is what effects this time period would have on those powers. 

and I agree with you I do think a Dark Knight would find it easier to channel during this period, and based on how she's affected mood wise by this period, would go to play into her personality and personal reactions etc.

Example, War Siren who is already a bit cynical and moody in my mind would be slightly more on edge and easier to anger. That part was never in question, where as say Nicoco Coco (my alt.) would get weirdly more happy and have weird food cravings. etc.

Also to add to the topic we can cover guys going through IMS (yes this is a real thing.) Again this could have very similar effects to Powers such as Darkside and Inner Beast.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Qhora Bajihri - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 04:58 PM)War Siren Wrote: Right, right. But again I'm not talking about your average woman.

I'm not sure how being not-an-average woman would make much difference. Assuming all Warriors and Dark Knights require significant emotional and mental strength to manage their powers and keep them in check, the hormonal effects themselves would/could/should still be different for each woman, whether or not they're regularly exercising emotional fortitude.

Unless you're suggesting any character under such duress should consider the question?

I think some female Warriors and Dark Knights might not even notice the hormones come and go as they go about their work, and others might have to lock themselves in a steel box until it passes?

And as has been mentioned, the exact nature of the hormonal effects can be different. It's not necessarily anger or irritability that's effected. Perhaps for some the Inner Beast isn't accessible at all for a few days?

No matter how it's viewed and dealt with (or ignored), it's going to be up to the individual playing said character.

(08-05-2015, 04:58 PM)War Siren Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 04:56 PM)Roda Wrote:

Bodies are strange.
^Yup this!

Possible bodily events:
Bleeding (duh)
Cramps (duh)
Acne
Headaches/migraines
Bloating

More emotional events:
Hyperness 
Depression
Horniness
Lethargy

Show Content
Right, right. But again I'm not talking about your average woman. Smile
No matter how I may joke about their effects, hormones aren't superpowers '3'

Can they play a role in how your character interacts with her superpowers?  Sure! Of course! But I wouldn't think of them as THE monster inside of your character waiting to come out and murder all the things.  That monster might treat the hormones as food or fuel, but not as a mighty sword or an empowerment spell, just a bit of a snack. And if your character has more than one symptom (which is most likely since with the bouts of high energy, comes the crashes of low energy), then that change in hormones may serve to weaken that beast.

And if your character is a dark knight and is used to meditating to keep her emotions in check and under her control, then keeping the effects of her hormonal changes in check would be a walk in the park. (Like I've said, hormonal changes <<<<<<<<<<< clawing beast that is darkside, when it comes to potency) And I have a feeling your character has been dealing with her hormones for far longer than she has been dealing with dark powers.
Though, if your character has anger management issues, then they may not be able to handle extra hormonal imbalances, due to all the other issues that comes from such problems.

But really in the end I would advise you to treat menstruation as mundane, because it is.
Dark knight powers are what's really interesting here. Tongue And menstruation should really affect your character as much as a kind of crummy day/days/week that's on a schedule. (Since, you know, that's what it is)

Hooray for edits: If I could make a suggestion on how it would outwardly appear to affect your character, I'd suggest that it would make her more confident in her abilities. Like "hold my beer, I got this bro" kind of way, balanced out with some anxiety lows in her downtime (like before bed). That way its effects can cause some shenanigans, but avoids the whole periods-are-mystical-mind-controlling-events trap and lets her claim her own successes and mistakes.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Flashhelix - 08-05-2015

We've never seen a live vagina ingame yet, so until then I'm of the school of thought that vaginas, infact, do not exist in the world of FFXIV.

(08-05-2015, 06:52 PM)Flashhelix Wrote: We've never seen a live vagina ingame yet, so until then I'm of the school of thought that vaginas, infact, do not exist in the world of FFXIV.
Just like nipples.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - X'shah Zinbhe - 08-05-2015

There are too many variations in the menstrual cycle to tell. However, there is one factor that makes me disagree with your stance on Dark Knights: Anemia. In my personal case as a woman it is rather difficult to deal with and would, if anything, make it harder during that time for them. Not all women have this but a significant amount do and don't even realize it.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Nako Vesh - 08-05-2015

Bodies are strange.
This is a good point. If you're going to include this in your RP, you should keep in mind women experience menstruation in extremely varied ways, from woman to woman, and even from month to month.

Oh, god. Now I'm imagining my FC syncing up...