Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? (/showthread.php?tid=9827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Seriphyn - 01-29-2015

"Man" is abstract here. I suppose it would mean "civilized races".

They are different species, otherwise. There is a tidbit of lore (I think it's in a minion's description) that the common scholarly consensus is that Miqo'te evolved from a common ancestor that they share with couerls.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - allgivenover - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 04:18 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: There is a tidbit of lore (I think it's in a minion's description) that the common scholarly consensus is that Miqo'te evolved from a common ancestor that they share with couerls.

Citation needed, I really doubt this one because I would definitely have heard of it by now.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - V'aleera - 01-29-2015

Since we know we're going to get some info about half-breeds in Heavensward, if it turns out that half-breeds can in fact reproduce then it'll pretty definitively settle whether the races of man are different species or races.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - SessionZero - 01-29-2015

I'm pretty sure the fact that they can cross-breed alone indicates different races, all one species.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Kahn'a - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 04:18 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: "Man" is abstract here. I suppose it would mean "civilized races".

They are different species, otherwise. There is a tidbit of lore (I think it's in a minion's description) that the common scholarly consensus is that Miqo'te evolved from a common ancestor that they share with couerls.
Not specifically Coeurl but...

Show Content

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Zhavi - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 04:49 PM)Intaki Wrote: Since we know we're going to get some info about half-breeds in Heavensward, if it turns out that half-breeds can in fact reproduce then it'll pretty definitively settle whether the races of man are different species or races.

wouldn't that just be the icing on top if the devs decided they were all separate species but the half breeds could still reproduce?

who needs earth biology!

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Recoil - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 04:53 PM)SessionZero Wrote: I'm pretty sure the fact that they can cross-breed alone indicates different races, all one species.

Different species can cross-breed. Resultant offspring cannot. 

Polargrizzlies, Mules, Ligers, etc.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Kinono - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 02:27 PM)Aya Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 02:24 PM)Nako Wrote: Best contraceptive? sleep outside of your species. Babeha are garaunteed to be rare then *sagenod*
This is something that's always hand-waved in every MMO RPG ever.  Pregnancy occurs when desired, and not when it isn't.  There's always some handy explanation ranging from good luck to contraceptive herbal remedies (which are universally effective and available!)  Fantasy is fantasy Smile

This isn't always necessarily true. I came up with Kino's pregnancy very suddenly and without really even thinking about it mid-session, flipped a coin, and just rolled with it. The randomness of it, and the fact that I couldn't have shared the plans with Kino's partner even if I wanted to very much helped the whole scene play out more realistically as an unplanned pregnancy.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - industrythirteen - 01-29-2015

Apologies for re-hashing earlier posts. This thread has moved along pretty quickly. But, I felt a need to at least convey some thoughts I had. 

In my personal experience on Balmung, I find that I see more Miqo'te than anything else. This is where, in my opinion, I find it very hard to reconcile the idea that the lore team wrote that Miqo'te are supposed to be rare. It seems predictable, to me, that a feline-based race would be super popular. 

As to my other thought, let's say that the lore for a race is a prickly subject, at best, for some. Some folks find that lore distasteful. Some folks may choose to ignore it like it doesn't exist. Others may fully embrace it. But in my mind, there really isn't just only a binary solution to it all. This is where I personally would take that lore, use it, and use my RP to point out how shitty I personally might think it might be. I know there are some folks that like to keep politics out of RP, but I love using RP to explore social construction. I love to turn it all on its head, all to make a point. It kind of depends on what I want to make of my RP opportunities.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Kinono - 01-29-2015

I think it's worth randomly mentioning for the other topic here that there that there is an unofficial, literal translation of...

Show Content

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Desu Nee - 01-29-2015

I'm pretty sure all species are considered Man. I'm not really a big one to talk, considering I haven't even got 50 on my non-rp main, but the Amal'jaa calls everyone Sons of Man. Just my little note regarding that.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Aduu Avagnar - 01-29-2015

the other thing to remember is that what you see, as players is but a small fraction of the size of the populace of any area. So whilst there may seem to be a large number of Miqo'te players, in the grand scheme of things, we are a minority in the perceived size of the world.

the other thing to remember is that it is only the male Miqo'te that are supposed to be rare and reclusive. but then again, the times, they are a changing.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Knight Kat - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 12:23 PM)Bopdoot Wrote:  And as an aside, if you're rping that you are impregnated by aether cuz "u don't need no man!" I hope you just give birth to a crystal that talks.  Hey, go hard or go home! 

LOL

Except for maybe one person who's back-story on it I have not confirmed, I do not know -anyone- who has done this. Getting pregnant with aether? Like some kind of immaculate conception? No. I would hope no one does that because there is nothing in the lore to suggest it is possible.

However, it should be noted that if someone wants to get their character pregnant, they can just use an NPC sire in their back-story. I mean, why not? When someone has an NPC infant I don't OOCly jump on them, and interrogate them on how they made the child.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Aduu Avagnar - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 04:18 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: "Man" is abstract here. I suppose it would mean "civilized races".

you also have to remember that the description of the Fat Chocobo states that it is refered to as Large and In Charge. Those tidbits are supposed to be humorous more than anything in my experience. So, it is a case of trying to decide which bits are indeed actual lore or just something of a joke.