Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? (/showthread.php?tid=9827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Knight Kat - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 05:43 AM)Mikha Elakha Wrote: Ears: I do not emote my ears at all times. Sometimes I forget, others times I feel it isn't required. We have hominid features which are expressive enough on their own. Ears do however add extra flavour and so I always use them when an emotion is particularly strong. Often an ear will flicker or tick when his name or something interesting sounds within earshot.

Tail: Mikh'a is careful of his tail when sitting. He uses it more when he is physically engaged (leaping, sparring etc, they are part of the balance thing for the race, or so I believe). Again with strong emotions it might bristle or fall still rather than maintain an absent swish.

Both together: When entirely at ease, these things happen more frequently. Another thing I try to remember is that everyone has a tell. Minor body movements or ticks that others who know them would spot, and so there times when Mikh'a will appear outwardly calm for example, though his tail will fall flat or bristle ever so slightly.

Tribal culture: Mikh'a had a tribal upbringing. To his people, sexuality is irrelevant so long as babies are being born and so often times preferences are pushed aside during mating season (I consider this not as when females are -on heat- but instead a window that would allow babies to be born when food is plenty in the wild, since they are nomadic). As such, it's a very business-like concept for them. Mikh'a has grown from this mentality to one that is not -anything goes, i like my sex- but instead to -I am able to maintain many meaningful connections- and fails to understand the concept of monogamy.

TL;DR

Racial lore, sexual preference and such other concepts do not define my character, though I have at least considered the impact that these have on my character. We may not conform to societal norms, though they will have had some measure of influence, be it positive or negative.

IMHO this is a very good way to go about ears/tail emotes, and pretty much exactly how I go about it with my character.

That is also a good concept for the tribal culture. The lore talks about how traditional Miqo'te breed, but doesn't touch on the sexuality aspect of it. I see nothing that dictates what Miqo'te are normally attracted to in a partner; only that when it comes time to make the next generation, there are few males and many females. From there, we can only hypothesize about their average sexuality.

With my character, very few would even see much about her sexuality. She doesn't advertise it, nor does she talk about it unless it is with close friends who ask. She's a hunter, a scout, a fighter, a leader. She is very busy, and doesn't have much time for anything else.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Bahati - 01-29-2015

I can't imagine Balmung would be as enjoyable and interesting if every Miqo'te had a tribal upbringing and lifestyle. My main is intended to be bred from a Seeker and a Midlander. Even then, I would not call Lyrik a "cosplaying hyur". Her ears and tail are brought into her expressions when needed.

I enjoy the challenge of Lyrik being reared in an urban setting by a Hyur... and yet she is still part Miqo'te and struggles to understand what that means. Why some instincts, mannerisms and aspects of her are simply different. Aside from physically (which is the least of racial differences IMHO), different hearing. Different instincts on occasion. I am fortunate she's ended up under the wing of a very tribal Miqo'te and is currently learning to hunt out in the desert. Will Lyrik become more traditional? Will she stay very "hyur-like"? Either way she is still Miqo'te. Or at least partially. I'm looking forward to her progression. I expect an RP server to have variety and original ideas.

Lastly on the subject of moral conflict regarding traditional breeding and the frequent "Nuhn" issues... well, it is what it is. Lyrik knows several Nuhn and most of them are serious males with their concern lying in providing for the females and leadership. Luckily for overly affectionate Lyrik, they seem to naturally tolerate the will of the females they consider to be under their care. I look forward to seeing a Nuhn strutting about like he's god's gift to all cats. There are males of all races attempting to lay with multiple women. All sorts of women who have the same ambitions. No Miqo'te is bound to "service" any Nuhn simply because of her race. I have no issues with anyone's sexual decisions. I rather enjoy the interesting female empowerment in these cat like individuals. Perhaps it's my animal inclined education talking but I really find it interecting even if I don't partake.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - allgivenover - 01-29-2015

A comment about rarely seeing ears, tails, and scent in RP exactly means that I expect people to use it ALL THE TIME or they're not doing Miqo'te RP right. /s

Seriously this misconception about my meaning had me double checking my posts to make sure I didn't completely mess up my phrasing.

This is what I mean:

Quote:Although Rakka'li's face sat placid as a frozen lake, the sharp backward tilt of his ears made it clear how furious he was. Several seconds passed before his ears relaxed and he managed a slow, respectful nod.

Stuff like this. I don't mean emoting all the time that a Miqo'te's tail moved, or that their ears are well, cat ears, I'm on about how these tools of expression go severely underused in general.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Zyrusticae - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 05:28 AM)Smiling River Wrote: That is that FFXIV "races" aren't really races, they are different species.
*ahem*

I am going to be pedantic here and explain that, no, they are not separate species at all. They are, in fact, all the same species of Man, all being capable of crossbreeding (and those crossbreeds capable of breeding themselves). By the standard definition of 'species' that alone disqualifies them from being considered separate.

That being said, their physiological differences are certainly far larger than standard (real-world) human races, so that is something that should be taken into account. But it's not a matter of entirely separate species and all that entails - though you could argue that cultural and psychological differences are large enough to eclipse that.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Warren Castille - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 10:59 AM)allgivenover Wrote: A comment about rarely seeing ears, tails, and scent in RP exactly means that I expect people to use it ALL THE TIME or they're not doing Miqo'te RP right. /s

Seriously this misconception about my meaning had me double checking my posts to make sure I didn't completely mess up my phrasing.

This is what I mean:

Quote:Although Rakka'li's face sat placid as a frozen lake, the sharp backward tilt of his ears made it clear how furious he was. Several seconds passed before his ears relaxed and he managed a slow, respectful nod.

Stuff like this. I don't mean emoting all the time that a Miqo'te's tail moved, or that their ears are well, cat ears, I'm on about how these tools of expression go severely underused in general.

Added to the OP to clarify.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Bopdoot - 01-29-2015

With all the talk about sexuality and the fact that evvvvvvreryones doin' it.... What is the form of contraception in Eorzea?  Do you rub aether on your dingledoos?  Are there condoms?  And as an aside, if you're rping that you are impregnated by aether cuz "u don't need no man!" I hope you just give birth to a crystal that talks.  Hey, go hard or go home! 

Lol this isn't intended to rustle any jimmies. I'm just in a silly mood. However, I am actually curious about the use of conception in the setting..not that Amelia will need it or anything...>.> she's going to be pure forever.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Gegenji - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 12:23 PM)Bopdoot Wrote: I hope you just give birth to a crystal that talks.

So... so I could finally fulfill my dream of playing a Shardmind outside DnD?

[Image: RacePortShardmind.png]

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Warren Castille - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 12:23 PM)Bopdoot Wrote: With all the talk about sexuality and the fact that evvvvvvreryones doin' it.... What is the form of contraception in Eorzea?  Do you rub aether on your dingledoos?  Are there condoms?  And as an aside, if you're rping that you are impregnated by aether cuz "u don't need no man!" I hope you just give birth to a crystal that talks.  Hey, go hard or go home! 

Lol this isn't intended to rustle any jimmies. I'm just in a silly mood. However, I am actually curious about the use of conception in the setting..not that Amelia will need it or anything...>.> she's going to be pure forever.

There was a thread about this before. Generally speaking, the consensus weighed in that contraceptives have existed on Earth for a long time, so it's not unreasonable that they exist in Eorzea too.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - SessionZero - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 12:23 PM)Bopdoot Wrote: With all the talk about sexuality and the fact that evvvvvvreryones doin' it.... What is the form of contraception in Eorzea?  Do you rub aether on your dingledoos?  Are there condoms?  And as an aside, if you're rping that you are impregnated by aether cuz "u don't need no man!" I hope you just give birth to a crystal that talks.  Hey, go hard or go home! 

Given that we have no specific lore on this and we'll only see some if someone at SE is bored/going to be fired anyway, I'd say go nuts (lol) with whatever your little heart desires to keep babby-making at bay with.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Berrod Armstrong - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 12:23 PM)Bopdoot Wrote: Do you rub aether on your dingledoos?
Confirmed for best laugh of the week

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Chris Ganale - 01-29-2015

My lady and I have always played it that there's alchemical potion contraceptives if it were to come up seriously, but for the most part we abide by the "don't want X pairing to have behbehs yet"

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Zyrusticae - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 01:58 PM)Chris Ganale Wrote: [...] for the most part we abide by the "don't want X pairing to have behbehs yet"
If only RL were so convenient. Sad

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Chris Ganale - 01-29-2015

Indeed.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Zhavi - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 11:47 AM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 05:28 AM)Smiling River Wrote: That is that FFXIV "races" aren't really races, they are different species.
*ahem*

I am going to be pedantic here and explain that, no, they are not separate species at all. They are, in fact, all the same species of Man, all being capable of crossbreeding (and those crossbreeds capable of breeding themselves). By the standard definition of 'species' that alone disqualifies them from being considered separate.

Begging your pardon, but do you have a source for that? I'd like to read it. ;P

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Aduu Avagnar - 01-29-2015

Best contraceptive? sleep outside of your species. Babeha are garaunteed to be rare then *sagenod*