Hydaelyn Role-Players
Community Full of Cliques - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Community Full of Cliques (/showthread.php?tid=17938)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Tyndles - 01-01-2017

(12-18-2016, 03:10 PM)RavieRaptor Wrote: So I've been trying to find people to RP with for the last year or so, and most of these times I've been ignored or not acknowledged at all.

I wanted to basically point out the Gold and Glory Gala last night, I came on three different characters and tried to approach people, but only got ignored. Everyone and their cliques were in the corners keeping amongst themselves.

I was there for an hour, not one acknowledgement. This is messed up. How are we supposed to make friends if we get ignored the whole time? Or maybe it's just me and how I must be a terrible person.

Everyone says "Approach people, that's how you'll get RP" Well apparently not.

I've been rping and playing the game for over 3 years now. People need to grow up.

./endrant.

You say this was a rant, but the bold lines are pretty attacky. It put people on the defensive right away. The last sentence particularly turned it very passive aggressive.

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Edda - 01-01-2017

Here's some unsolicited advice. If you're not happy with your interpretation of the tone of a text post, just imagine this guy is reading it.

It helped me! If I had the big buckaroos I'd hire him to read every post I make on this site, Just In Caseâ„¢.

RE: Community Full of Cliques - LiadansWhisper - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 12:37 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: so apparently I have a license to be a complete jerk to people since English isn't my first language either.

Nope. It's more like you have a license to run into cultural and language differences. There are things that, if I were to translate them from, say, French to English, without any nuance, come off as completely rude. Because there's nuance to any translation, and that's not always apparent when the speaker/writer is using a language not their native tongue.

And, again, cultural differences. Like, what is polite in one place isn't polite in another.

(01-01-2017, 12:41 AM)RavieRaptor Wrote: They type pretty good english to be an excuse to speak that way. If she accidentally typed it that way, she would've apologized. But notice on the first page of this thread, they were still rude.

With her, it's a cultural thing, as far as I know. It doesn't bother me because it's words on the internet, but I get why you're upset that she's in-your-face and unapologetic. I was probably upset the first time that happened to me on the internet. I'd also point out, however, that politeness varies from region to region, country to country. She was civil, which is all these boards require you to be (simply because civility is more universal than actual politeness).

RE: Community Full of Cliques - Nero - 01-01-2017

It's fairly clear that this thread is no longer constructive, so there's a lock going on this now.

You're free to restart another thread if you feel the topic still has merit for discussion.