Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? (/showthread.php?tid=9827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Du'lance Fiourtune - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 06:39 PM)Aya Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 06:39 PM)Kage Wrote: A lot of the times I did RP as Miqo'te I'd do things, forgetting to add maybe a small detail but then realized... it was small and felt redundant.

And then... how many times are you going to really RP out ordering a drink, drinking it, and then getting more? over... and over... and over...
As often as you want the barmaid to come over and talk to you, in my experience! ^_^
Weird because I was actually thinking about you today......(dem awkward feels)
But I was wondering what happened to you, you served me my first drink in the Quicksand!

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Aya - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 07:06 PM)M Wrote: Weird because I was actually thinking about you today......(dem awkward feels)
But I was wondering what happened to you, you served me my first drink in the Quicksand!
Awwwwww, just not doing that as much as I have at other times!  I was gone for a month on holiday (got back near Christmas), and then took the time to catch up on the MSQ, and to work on an in-character project (which I've been hinting at in screenshot posts, but its not ready yet!), aaaand other real life stuff :-]

I was serving last night!  I wish I were there more often, because every time I am I have a good time! Smile

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Recoil - 01-28-2015

I usually don't let racial choice steer how my character acts or is roleplayed.

It doesn't define my character; nor does being gay, tall, or a ninja. It may influence his upbringing and personality a slight bit, but he isn't a walking fireball zealot from the bowels of volcanic hell by any means. As Lohengarde, he's culturally influenced to being down to earth and hands-on and is familiar with how to earn martial coin in Limsa Lominsa and Ul'dah. 

Being big kind of stinks in mainly Lalafel and Human inhabited cities when it comes to finding armor and gear, but he's made friends with a number of Sea Wolves that have hooked him up from time to time.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Harmonixer - 01-28-2015

As someone that has lurked this board for (years now? hard to recall) and more or less, introduced themselves as 'someone who returned to a game they had otherwise forgotten about because of a particularly appealing upcoming playable race', I feel as though I have to post.

I'm a little worried that this will come as too little, too late, seeing as how this is at page 11 and the topic changed so much but I'll deal with it all the same.

On the subject of cats and mannerisms in general:

I guess you could same I'm somewhat of a gimmick rper. I enjoy making trademark things about character, since I feel people are largely the same way and making them a part of their core. People change their lives based on media they intake. Things like music, hobbies, social views. All these things are almost always apparent in one way or another, so it's only natural that characters ears flicker, or click claws or grind their teeth, play with their hair. Sure they don't have to do it every single sentence, but it should come up on occasion I feel. We're obviously more complex than the underwear we do or don't have on, but it does play a part in what we are in some way.

Now this is sort of where I derail slightly-
To be clear, I fully admit that I came back to play this for a few reasons. The primary one being the advent of an expansion, and the Au Ra. I have already rambled on why I find them appealing but along comes a lot of 'social obligations' to roleplay. I purposely choose RP because I find it to be the most enjoyable format for me to play a game over a longer period of time. I like community, I enjoy meeting new people and making friends, I greatly enjoy learning things.

When 2.0 was announced I was pretty excited to learn about male miqos- I had always wondered why they weren't much of a thing before and thought like many others 'hey that'll be cool'. This was long before I had realized what their lore and the community would become. I should have known, thinking back. So, 2.0 launches and I roll one, learn a little about the lore and quickly realize that they really aren't the race for me. I think their animations are lovingly done and their appearance is welcome but ultimately, they make me uncomfortable to RP.
So, to prevent myself from experiencing what I like to call 'the text based facialdickslapping' I ended up rolling something I think I can accurately RP and still find pretty cool to play as, a highlander. Their lore, appearances mesh well with me and for the most part I'm met with success when I actually spend time with other players. Eventually, I lose interest in the game and move on for the time being, Promising myself that this is indeed a great title and worth coming back to. Just not really catching my eye now.

Smashcut to where I am now:

"holyfuck, Seathe's the Scaleless daughter from Dark Souls is a fucking playable race? There's
dood versions and their stupid tall and brooding and edgelordy? I HAVE TO COME BACK"

Then, the reality:

"There's not a lot of lore, I have no idea if I'm ever going to like them outside of appearances, I don't want to be a dick to others by lorebreaking too much and while that shouldn't matter to anyone but me... I'm part of a community that is strongly divided on the subject of cats and everything in between"

I would not go as far as to say that I purely want to please others by RPing this accurately. I believe there is a merit to contributing to a group but it should really be about enjoying myself WITHOUT hindering others, as many as possible. Everyone bends lore a little, it's perfectly fine and I'm by no means trying to defend being flat out 'wrong', but I'm at a point now where I can't even make a character to exist amongst others because I don't have enough information.
I've decided for myself, long before this that I would try to never ever RP something that people couldn't be around. It's not fun to RP by yourself, or to be a character that simply 'can't' exist. So my hands are tied on him. I can't even decide on his appearance because that too, might be lore breaking. And the obvious lack of images for what's available to us as players and the like.

My point is, I shouldn't have to feel guilty for wanting something because I'm worried that I might not be exactly to someone else's liking or set up rules. I should however be respectful and understanding of others on their decisions when it comes to RP. It's funny, isn't it? My performance, so to speak is going to strongly effect my enjoyment of time spent with others. Such is the core of a lot of RP.

tl;dr

I'm going to try to make the best dragon man for myself that others can enjoy without compromising what ultimately makes me happy. I'm waiting till we have more info, in the meantime I'm rping an male elezen which I think I've seen like 20 of on the whole realm and it vaguely weirds me out.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Chris Ganale - 01-28-2015

On the note of race, my two miqo'te are weird.

R'tahz was born tribal and lived that way for the majority of his life, but getting his ass beat fifteen consecutive times trying to become nunh soured him on the whole ideal, and when his tribe was forced to combine with another R' tribe after the Calamity and he got eliminated in the first round (to nobody's surprise) of a tournament-style nunh challenge, he finally got fed up with it all and left the tribe. He kept his prefix and title because he was too lazy to come up with his own name, but because of his experiences he's skittish around other seekers, especially R' tribe, because "The Boy Who Could Not Be a Man" is pretty common knowledge in his parts and he's tired of hearing it. Granted, nowadays he's less bothered by it since he got himself married to another tribal outcast, but he still doesn't want to deal with it. On that note, he's pretty much terrified of the prospect of running into any nunh from either R' or J' because he holds the irrational fear that they might try to forcefully take J'karu from him on the grounds that he's never been a nunh. Nevermind that any offending party would get lit the -EXPLICATIVE DELETED- on fire by J'karu. And he has yet to realize that he, himself, would stab his fake Gae Bolg through somebody who tried to do that with an extreme prejudice.

Now Chao, Chao is a train-wreck of lore. Long story short she's a tech genius from Doma who has no tribal affiliations and looks down on tribal Seekers as primitive.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Melkire - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 06:39 PM)Aya Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 06:39 PM)Kage Wrote: A lot of the times I did RP as Miqo'te I'd do things, forgetting to add maybe a small detail but then realized... it was small and felt redundant.

And then... how many times are you going to really RP out ordering a drink, drinking it, and then getting more? over... and over... and over...
As often as you want the barmaid to come over and talk to you, in my experience! ^_^

AYA, WHY IS THERE A PARASOL IN MY GLASS?

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Du'lance Fiourtune - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 07:13 PM)Aya Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 07:06 PM)M Wrote: Weird because I was actually thinking about you today......(dem awkward feels)
Awwwwww, just not doing that as much as I have at other times!  I was gone for a month on holiday (got back near Christmas), and then took the time to catch up on the MSQ, and to work on an in-character project (which I've been hinting at in screenshot posts, but its not ready yet!), aaaand other real life stuff :-]

I was serving last night!  I wish I were there more often, because every time I am I have a good time! Smile
Though I doubt you remember, I was the male Miqo'te who awkwardly jumped over the railing when you asked if I'd like to order something haha

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Kellach Woods - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 03:26 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: ANYWAY. HIGHLANDERS. I'M CURIOUS. How do you roleplay your characters? Well-integrated into their respective pieces of Eorzea? Clinging to the ol' warrior tribe in the mountain ways? As pretty princesses? TELL ALL!

I didn't play her yet, but the Highlander I made on previous maintenance was adopted by a Midlander couple. She's also snowflakey as fuck (think tattoos and heterochromic eyes) so I don't know if I'll actually play her or fantasia her into a Midlander woman... or anything else and pay for the name change if SE's gonna get off its ass and let me.

Typically though I try to go with the lore in terms of racial portrayals and against common stereotypes. My Midlander isn't a precious jewel wanting for sempai to notice him. He's flawed but tries to do his best. My Roegadyn is fairly sophisticated and not the giant ruskie stereotype. My Lala is lewd as FUCK and is likely to ask she can oil you up some 'cause she wants to see you glissen, babe.

Though I have said I'd never roll a Miqo, I'm tempted to make an asexual Tia going around challenging Nunhs for their rights to reproduce and just straight up taking them away. I have no motivations other than being a dick for doing this, so I won't do it, but it'd be funny enough to see him try.

(01-28-2015, 07:40 PM)M Wrote: Though I doubt you remember, I was the male Miqo'te who awkwardly jumped over the railing when you asked if I'd like to order something haha
Oh, I remember that! haha ^^

(01-28-2015, 07:40 PM)Melkire Wrote: AYA, WHY IS THERE A PARASOL IN MY GLASS?
BECAUSE YOU LIKE TROPICAL GOODNESS! ^_^

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Zyrusticae - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 07:40 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Though I have said I'd never roll a Miqo, I'm tempted to make an asexual Tia going around challenging Nunhs for their rights to reproduce and just straight up taking them away. I have no motivations other than being a dick for doing this, so I won't do it, but it'd be funny enough to see him try.
BRILLIANT.

Unfortunately, most Nunh RPers are extremely unlikely to play along, so it'll never happen, but still! I LOVE THIS IDEA.

I'm going to be giggling to myself for a bit now. Hopefully no one notices.

(01-28-2015, 07:40 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: ANYWAY. HIGHLANDERS. I'M CURIOUS. How do you roleplay your characters? Well-integrated into their respective pieces of Eorzea? Clinging to the ol' warrior tribe in the mountain ways? As pretty princesses? TELL ALL!
Some how I missed this... its such a good question.  Aya's background mixes several powerful influence.  That of her Ala Mhigan birth and parentage is that which throughout her life she has done her best to resist.  She has no interest in ending up like her parents, or so many other Ala Mhigans, wasting away their lives (in her pov) while pining for a past that cannot be reclaimed.  Instead she looks toward the future, adapting to her environment as best she can.  Because of this she considers Ishgard, where she was raised, her home and homeland.  But, she cannot leave her Ala Mhigan birth or her time as a refugee behind.  It has left its indelible mark upon her, no matter how much she tries to escape it.  To quote from some of what I have written about her:

1) "The way of war required a manner of thinking so apart from herself.  One could almost call it unnatural, but it came far more naturally than she would ever care to admit.  Born to a line of warriors, and steeped in the blood of heroes, she stepped with discomforting ease into the echoes of the past.  She recalled seeing the family's Crow Banner waving high upon the rampart: a last, fleeting glimpse of a child's proud homestead.  In her mind she had seen visions of battles long passed, glorious dead and legendary feats of arms. 'Ridiculous,' 'pointless', 'wasteful', she would say, and yet all too comfortable."

2) "Worse was yet to come. She was a daughter of Ala Mhigo, if far removed.  She had struggled against everything she was meant to be, yet at times the pull of blood fell stronger than reason: could she bear to see another friend die, while she stood helpless?"

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Melkire - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 07:40 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Though I have said I'd never roll a Miqo, I'm tempted to make an asexual Tia going around challenging Nunhs for their rights to reproduce and just straight up taking them away. I have no motivations other than being a dick for doing this, so I won't do it, but it'd be funny enough to see him try.

[Image: Ip%20Man%20photo%2003.jpg]

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Kellach Woods - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 07:50 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
BRILLIANT.

Unfortunately, most Nunh RPers are extremely unlikely to play along, so it'll never happen, but still! I LOVE THIS IDEA.

I'm going to be giggling to myself for a bit now. Hopefully no one notices.

Same principle as the dojo smasher trope, only applied to something drastically different.

See people, clichés can be used for good.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Ha'uruh Nunh - 01-28-2015

Since Berrod asked about Highlanders... mine is a former slave out for revenge.

My Miqo'te Nunh was a virgin until very recently.

My female Lala is a stone-cold killer.

There's no reason to pigeonhole RPers or RP into racial stereotypes, and it's also not a good idea to assume you know everything about someone's character until you've interacted with them ICly.