Hydaelyn Role-Players
Inspired by Gold Saucer's Monster Toss: Monster Jam - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Inspired by Gold Saucer's Monster Toss: Monster Jam (/showthread.php?tid=9944)

Inspired by Gold Saucer's Monster Toss: Monster Jam - TheLastCandle - 02-03-2015

I'm tossing around an idea to expand upon the basketball minigame from the Manderville Gold Saucer. It would be just for fun, with a focus on roleplaying and writing in a fashion similar to the Grindstone event. What I have in mind is something resembling a chimera made up of Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball, Arch Rivals, and gridiron football. In other words, rather than simply lifting the actual real-world game of basketball wholesale, it would include plenty of violence.

What I had in mind was to come up with a system of stats and "character sheet" creation for interested players that would be used only for the Monster Jam. Depending on the type of player you build your character to be, he/she might be best suited as a scorer, a defender (adept at preventing the other team from scoring, whether by blocking or more violent means), or an assist (steals, passing to scorers). I'm still working out the particulars regarding the rules of dice rolls and such, but a rough sketch of what a typical game would look like is:

1.) Tip-off: The captains of each team roll. The character with the highest roll takes possession of the ball. Pretty self-explanatory.

Note: Attempting to destroy the ball is a valid tactic! The strategy in doing so would be that it forces another tip-off. Any defender attempting to destroy the ball would roll twice - once to determine whether it is hit (versus the player in possession) and a second time to determine force. The ball would have a set "hardness" (or DC, for those familiar with d20) that I haven't set in stone as of yet. If the roll is greater than or equal to the ball's hardness, the ball is destroyed and a tip-off is forced. If it is less than the hardness of the ball, the ball is knocked out of bounds.

2.) Attacking the possessor of the ball: If the character holding the ball receives any amount of damage, he/she must try to avoid dropping the ball by rolling a defense roll equal to or greater than the amount of damage received. If this roll fails, the ball is dropped and can be picked up.

The ball can also be disarmed. This will use a different set of rolls, yet to be determined, but success would mean you immediately take possession of the ball.

3.) Picking up a loose ball: This is a free action that provokes attacks of opportunity from all opponents.

4.) Field goal: Basically, think of this as a Ranged Attack roll versus the basket's "armor class." The further away you are, the higher the DC you have to exceed. This also provokes attacks of opportunity. If the shooter takes damage, all damage received is subtracted from the shooter's attack roll.

5.) Passing: This is similar to shooting in that a "ranged attack roll" is made to determine accuracy. The intended recipient's "Handling" stat would aid in the success of this roll. If this roll fails, an opponent can roll against it to intercept the pass.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Each field goal is 2 points. The first team to score 10 points wins the game. I may modify this in the future, but my reasoning is simply because I can see a game with so much dice-rolling and so many emotes being written taking forever otherwise.

So, would anyone be interested in something like this? Have any suggestions, questions, or comments? Feel free to post and let me know!

RE: Inspired by Gold Saucer's Monster Toss: Monster Jam - ChewableMorphine - 02-03-2015

Charles Barkley roleplayer when

RE: Inspired by Gold Saucer's Monster Toss: Monster Jam - TheLastCandle - 02-03-2015

(02-03-2015, 06:30 PM)Flynt The Hyena Wrote: Charles Barkley roleplayer when

The time is now.

RE: Inspired by Gold Saucer's Monster Toss: Monster Jam - Telluride - 02-03-2015

So, you basically want to play...

Blood Bowl

or...

Kaosball

or..

Elfball

or...

Dreadball

...which sounds pretty interesting, actually, if you can pull it off.

Nathan isn't much for that sort of thing in participation, but he'd get a real kick out of being a field commentator. However, I have a couple of other characters who -would- go nuts for this sort of thing, and who would benefit from an excuse to be brought out to play.

RE: Inspired by Gold Saucer's Monster Toss: Monster Jam - Hyakki - 02-03-2015

Relevant.

RE: Inspired by Gold Saucer's Monster Toss: Monster Jam - Inessa Hara - 02-03-2015

I am surprised nobody mentioned [sub][sup]GRIFFBALL.[/sup][/sub]

((Posted for comedic post, lol.))

RE: Inspired by Gold Saucer's Monster Toss: Monster Jam - 4wheel - 02-04-2015

I was kinda hoping from the title it was akin to the monster trucks version of Monster Jam and we'd just ride Goobues around stomping on little wagons and making them jump off dirt piles.  Tongue

Though to be a bit more on topic, it sounds fun.  Probably be a little blind-leading-blind till people get used to it.  Afterwards, I can see it being a riot of a time.

I feel the wording about disarming the ball is a little confusing, do you mean it's similar to a steal where it's immediately taken from the carrier?  You say it will follow a different set of rolls, does that mean it follows directly after the attack or is a separate thing? If it's the latter, if someone were to go after the ball carrier it would just be better to roll for the steal and to hell with knocking the ball from carrier and risk it falling into possession of someone else. (assuming both teams can immediately recover a loose ball if they're near it)  Perhaps make it so the requirement to directly steal the ball is higher than just attacking the carrier hard enough that they drop it?