Hydaelyn Role-Players
A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* (/showthread.php?tid=9775)

Pages: 1 2

A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Zelmanov - 01-23-2015

Perhaps not the place for this post. But this video, though a little propaganda-y can really show the versatility of Bow and Arrow in real life as opposed to Legolas-style impossibilities. In fact, what is so amazing is the fact that a lot of these feats may actually put Legolas to shame.

So Archers, this is for you! Hopefully this spices up your archery! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

ALSO READ THIS To Temper your excitement, brought to light by Polaali : http://geekdad.com/2015/01/danish-archer/

RE: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Kage - 01-23-2015

I was watching this courtesy of Reddit earlier.

It's great, his skills in archery.

His awkward movement at the same time is awkward

But still his skills are amazing.

RE: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Dogberry - 01-23-2015

I'm curious about that claim that it pierced that armor. There are factors we don't know, like what type of metal that was, at what gauge. Aluminum chain mail is cheap and abundant, and it's just for show. The penetration looks pretty shallow, too. I would have preferred it if they had showed the armor off the dummy to point out the holes it made in the chain.

Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic archer, and no doubt there is definitely merit to his claim that archery is far more versatile than people standing in a line firing off volleys. This is a great video for drawing inspiration for an archer character.

RE: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Knight Kat - 01-23-2015

I've seen a vid about him before, but not in this detail. This is great. Kinda makes the archery I've practiced IRL look silly... >_>

RE: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Melkire - 01-23-2015

Bookmarking this on multiple devices and committing everything in it to memory.

RE: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Aduu Avagnar - 01-23-2015

(01-23-2015, 03:08 PM)Dogberry Wrote: I'm curious about that claim that it pierced that armor. There are factors we don't know, like what type of metal that was, at what gauge. Aluminum chain mail is cheap and abundant, and it's just for show. The penetration looks pretty shallow, too. I would have preferred it if they had showed the armor off the dummy to point out the holes it made in the chain.

Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic archer, and no doubt there is definitely merit to his claim that archery is far more versatile than people standing in a line firing off volleys. This is a great video for drawing inspiration for an archer character.
Chainmail didn't actually offer much in the way of protection against a piercing attack, the reliance was on the padding people wore underneath for that. Chain was generally used as a force displacer against slashes such as against an axe or sword.

RE: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Antain - 01-23-2015

Now nobody can tell me Vaughn is "too accurate". I'll show them this and say "This is a hyur, doing things my Wildwood with superior grace and eyesight does. He is not 'too accurate', and even Vaughn misses sometimes."

Angry

RE: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Aysun - 01-25-2015

Absolutely love this video. Nothing looks awkward about his movements to me, it makes archery I see in media look awkward instead.

RE: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Dogberry - 01-28-2015

(01-23-2015, 09:44 PM)Nakoli Chalahko Wrote:
(01-23-2015, 03:08 PM)Dogberry Wrote: I'm curious about that claim that it pierced that armor. There are factors we don't know, like what type of metal that was, at what gauge. Aluminum chain mail is cheap and abundant, and it's just for show. The penetration looks pretty shallow, too. I would have preferred it if they had showed the armor off the dummy to point out the holes it made in the chain.

Chainmail didn't actually offer much in the way of protection against a piercing attack, the reliance was on the padding people wore underneath for that. Chain was generally used as a force displacer against slashes such as against an axe or sword.

True, but I'd still would like to have seen the armor than trust that this guy's half-draw pierced armor grade chain mail.

RE: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Jancis - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 09:37 AM)Dogberry Wrote:
(01-23-2015, 09:44 PM)Nako Wrote:

True, but I'd still would like to have seen the armor than trust that this guy's half-draw pierced armor grade chain mail.

Definitely agree with Dogberry on this one. Even though chainmail is suppose to help break up a slashing and bludgeoning attack, the strength behind his arrows can't be much and his close range for the special moves is a bit much.

But then again we have aether and imagination! And this video is great for inspiring ideas on how to spice up shooting an arrow or dealing with many foes in RP!

Another classic is I love watching Conquest, it's more realistic, but gives some great framework and background on weapons.

Show Content

RE: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Bopdoot - 01-28-2015

Thank you for sharing!  ^_^ I just started leveling archer on Amelia and this was very inspiring for RP and PvE. Cool

RE: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Dogberry - 01-28-2015

I also kind of mention this when I do a lot of Dagorhir style battle gaming and larping, which I know isn't actual combat, but it mimics it well enough that I feel safe in making this comment.

There is a major, major difference between individual fighting skill and what works well in groups. I have known many fighters who are excellent duelists. In tournaments and one-on-one situations, these guys are fantastic fighters. I have also seen these duelists become an extreme liability on the front line. In many cases, they are the weakest link in the shield wall and become the reason the line breaks.

This is important for archery, because archers are more efficient when firing together in large volleys. Even in societies where archery was more than just something peasants did this is true. In fact, it's especially unlikely that any general would allow his finely trained regiment of elite archers anywhere near the meatgrinder. To lose years of training and experience, which they can then pass on to lesser archers and improve the ranks overall, would be considered too great a loss.

What we're seeing here is his idea of what archery in a small skirmish might have looked like. In FFXIV we see skirmish scenarios almost exclusively, so it works. But the guy's assertion that he alone has found the One True Way of historical archery is laughable.

RE: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - C'kayah Polaali - 01-28-2015

I feel a little like the guy who tells kids there ain't no Santa Claus. Yeah. It's that enjoyable.

RE: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Zhavi - 01-28-2015

with c'kayah. Should see some of the remaining mongolian markers for claims about feats of archery prowess. some are here.

The most I got from those videos that I adapted to another character I have who was a pastoral nomad was the whole holding multiple arrows in the draw hand.

But, I dunno, I mean, Mongolians (and other Eurasian steppes cultures who preceded them) carried multiple weapons to battle. They had a longrange bow, a shortrange bow, and at least one melee weapon to be used on horseback. But one of the coolest things they did, imo, was they could shoot behind them as they were retreating.

And the ease with which he does that weird little half draw tells me the draw weight on that bow is kinda laughable (you want armor piercing? more draw weight is gonna give you the force you need). You wanna see a culture that still practices archery with some seriousness? Check out the Mongolian Nadaam. Those are some badass archers.

Also recurve composite bow best bow. /swoon Wink

RE: A really cool look at what can be achieved with Archery *Resource* - Boo the Hamster - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 09:37 AM)Dogberry Wrote:
(01-23-2015, 09:44 PM)Nako Wrote:

Light chain mail was never much protection against arrows in the first place.  It's simply loose links placed together, which an arrowhead will find a weak spot in there rather easily if the chain mail is loose. The chain mail in this video is decoration, and honestly is a false thing to look out for when it comes to arrows.  Even if the arrow tip hit the link of mail, it will glance off the link and go to the desired target, albeit off-center.  If you wanted protection against arrows, you would need something that is solid and had a foundation.  Adding more links would do for that sort of thing, but also was a very expensive and time consuming process.  That's mainly where plate mail and crossbows came in, one as an upgrade of sorts to tightly woven chain mail and the other to pierce plate from a distance. 

This is why the video referenced the leather underneath the chain mail in that demonstration and only referenced the chain mail off hand.  The chain mail in question needs to have more links sewn together, which the coif represents more.  If you wanted something that /could/ pierce light chain mail, bodkin point arrows would do, and he is definitely not firing bodkin arrows, since the arrowhead is too thick for that, and the point needs to be more like a spear and less of a standard arrowhead.

Now the problem stating that, is that is what arrows are supposed to do in the first place. They're meant to go through leather and go to the squishy bits underneath.