Hydaelyn Role-Players
More Void Stuff - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: More Void Stuff (/showthread.php?tid=9686)

More Void Stuff - WiredBones - 01-16-2015

Spoiler Disclaimer

Hi guys! So my main character is heavily into end game content. I'd like to discuss a few things I've been noticing lately. I'll try to be very clear what I'm discussing and if you don't want to know about it, just skip over that section. I'm basically just hyped lately about the void since it looks like we'll get more information about it next patch. So please! Contribute to the conversation however you can. Feel free to bring other void-related stuff up that's off topic too.

T13
Phase 2 game mechanics. 
Minor storyline/cutscene spoilers (Naming boss).
Minor mention of Pharos Sirius.

Show Content

Allied Beast Tribe Quests
The quest recieved after reaching max rank in all beast tribe quests.

Show Content

RE: More Void Stuff - Aduu Avagnar - 01-16-2015

I don't believe dark aether, in and of itself, comes from the void. The void is, if you will excuse the pun, void of Aether. That is why they want to come here so much, to consume the Aether of the material world (Eorzea of which is heavily saturated in it, aparently more than most), however, it could be from the void and it is simply a misnomer ascribed to it given that is the only thing to really compare it to from the material world.

As to where it comes from, Well, I believe the Aether in Pharos Sirius was corrupted due to the proximity and damage caused by the attack by Bahamut (the yellow crystals of aether piercing the entire tower). I think that the balls of Dark Aether are simply, either a more corrupted version of that. Or as I mention above, it could very well simply be a misnomer.

As to the Alchemy, I don't know that much, the mist does indeed look like Void corruption, either that or a manifestation of I.M.E  or Individual Magic Effect (Read Goblins if you haven't Tongue) which in essence is the individuals personal manifestation of Magic (a different coloured glow with funky stuffs) 

And it sounds like a cool thought regarding the voidsent and trying to control them, better hope he keeps it quiet however, as there are people that would be knocking on his door to destroy him and his lab Tongue

RE: More Void Stuff - Sounsyy - 01-16-2015

Alchemy can certainly have nefarious uses and I think lore supports this pretty well throughout the game. So your second point sounds perfectly viable via lore and sounds like a very interesting plot point.

As for your first point, I have to agree with Nako'li in that the Void is devoid of Aether, hence why Voidsent are desperately trying to claw their way into our world. As for the origins of "Dark Aether" I haven't the foggiest. We see a good bit of corrupted aether, which is really just dead aether that has lingered too long in one place and cannot return to the Lifestream. This usually is caused by massive aether shifts which cannot cross the Aetherial Threshold and is trapped in our world. This causes such apparitions as ghosts or revenants or corrupted aether crystals. In some cases, lore notes these corrupted aether shifts can drive wildlife mad or mutate wildlife in abhorrent ways.

But as far as Dark Aether is concerned, I struggle to think of a place where it's mentioned besides T13, so as Nako'li said, it could just be a misnomer or it could just be something available to Elder Primals. There's so much we don't know about Elder Primals that it's hard to say. As such, I would recommend being cautious when delving into something we've only seen evidenced by an Elder Primal. It's an interesting plot point though, to be sure.

Last point, as for the aura that appears the Ebon Claw, a similar aura also appears around Ascians or thralls of Ascians in both 1.0 and 2.0. Is this a hint that the Ebon Claw sold his soul to the Ascians or that the Mad Alchemists' plot was actually a plot for the Ascians? We may never know, but it sounds like something the Ascians would do.