Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP Fate Mechanic - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP Fate Mechanic (/showthread.php?tid=9642)

RP Fate Mechanic - Ventus Zeruel - 01-12-2015

I recently had the opportunity to brainstorm and think of an event for my friends. After putting it together, I gave it a try; the results were amazingly fun. Everyone had a great time and participated in the event.

With lots of discussion during the event itself we were able to create a nice flow within roleplay and dice mechanics via rolz.org. 

The event started where I put together a small story where women were being kidnapped by a cloaked figure, a few people got interested and joined in the first phase. One of the players dressed up in order to be bait for the kidnapper, soon after we obtained some help from a rogue who offered to tail the man back to his camp, where he was promptly ambushed, then the FATE mechanics began. 

The battle started and everyone got together in a party to fight the boss among the kobold army surrounding the camp, and with the imagination of the DM(myself) and the roleplayers, a great battle was staged for the players. In the end they were victorious. 

You may view the RP mechanics here and freely discuss about it. I'd love to see this used more often in the future, but this is my own personal set-up, you are free to make your own; I hope to make some events for the community in the future.

Google Doc: RP/Fate Mechanics

Smile

RE: RP Fate Mechanic - Verad - 01-12-2015

A few points:

1. The text assumes that the default amount of hits for a boss monster is 10, but this number may vary by the amount of players present. This, then, presumes that not only is there a default for a boss, but a default number of players. Exactly how many should be present, and how should the number be adjusted if there are more or fewer players than that assumed number?

2. The lack of concrete examples for elements outside of the egis and the summons makes a great deal of the material very vague. What would you provide, say, as an example of an appropriate limit break based on past experience? 

This is also true for the various character abilities that players are assumed to possess. From what I can gather from reading the text, you're assuming that players will have access to in-game abilities. Not everybody will IC of course, but that's fine, that's their choice. However, without examples of how you've seen these abilities used in events, or suggestions for how to use specific abilities, players may find themselves stumped, or DMs using these rules may be at a loss for how to gauge how effective something should be.

3. I note that HP varies by class - Specifically, healers and the pet classes having less of it than melee. That's a simple abstraction, but having that abstraction may mean complaints from players using tank classes, frustrated that they can take only as many hits as any other class. Variant HP values tend to be an all-or-nothing proposition - either all categories vary, or none of them do.

Overall I think this is a really good start to a developed system, but it feels like a lot of the rules are still unexpressed, or at least that it's relying on the DM and players to fill the gaps. That's fine, and they can certainly do that, but having some more specific examples to help them do that would be very useful.

RE: RP Fate Mechanic - Ventus Zeruel - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 04:26 PM)Verad Wrote: A few points:

1. The text assumes that the default amount of hits for a boss monster is 10, but this number may vary by the amount of players present. This, then, presumes that not only is there a default for a boss, but a default number of players. Exactly how many should be present, and how should the number be adjusted if there are more or fewer players than that assumed number?

2. The lack of concrete examples for elements outside of the egis and the summons makes a great deal of the material very vague. What would you provide, say, as an example of an appropriate limit break based on past experience? 

This is also true for the various character abilities that players are assumed to possess. From what I can gather from reading the text, you're assuming that players will have access to in-game abilities. Not everybody will IC of course, but that's fine, that's their choice. However, without examples of how you've seen these abilities used in events, or suggestions for how to use specific abilities, players may find themselves stumped, or DMs using these rules may be at a loss for how to gauge how effective something should be.

3. I note that HP varies by class - Specifically, healers and the pet classes having less of it than melee. That's a simple abstraction, but having that abstraction may mean complaints from players using tank classes, frustrated that they can take only as many hits as any other class. Variant HP values tend to be an all-or-nothing proposition - either all categories vary, or none of them do.

Overall I think this is a really good start to a developed system, but it feels like a lot of the rules are still unexpressed, or at least that it's relying on the DM and players to fill the gaps. That's fine, and they can certainly do that, but having some more specific examples to help them do that would be very useful.

1. The numbers would be adjusted depending on the type of creature/target they would be fighting, for example...if there is only one person and they're fighting a boss alone, it's more or less going to be equal to their own HP, which is defaulted at 6. If they are of a class that has even lower HP, it would be adjusted to fit accordingly. Please note that this is still a rough draft as well and is constantly being updated by other outside sources =D. If there is a party of 4, I just keep the number at 10, it provided plenty options, and still depended highly on chance. If there is one more player, I'd boost it up personally in small intervals. Possibly to 12, where a party of 8 would be separated and be fighting something with around 20 hp. Mind you with the mechanics in place, any class can hold their own even if at a slight disadvantage. All it talks is the luck of the dice and the tides are in your favor.

The reason I leave most of these choices between the players and the DM and leave these holes is for this exact reason, to develop a better system. This is only a base to be built upon after all.

2. An appropriate limit break for summons you ask? Maybe a small scale version...a shard of what would be capable of the full primal. Ifrit for example would be able to provide a skill at the scale larger than a flare and more concentrated possibly on a single target. But that's just ideas and brainstorming, it's inevitably up to you guys to decide...but keeping it within the logical constraints that it is an egis and not a primal. 

As it comes to skills and abilities, they would be used very loosely if anything, if a player wants to stun an opponent, they must provide a logical post that shows how that boss 'would' be stunned...via a hit in the face or a throwing of dust in the eyes. They are free to use in-game skills of course but in the end they just stick to the logic of their class that they intend to use with their character...it's all free form really and up to the DM leading to provide them with their limitations and how effective something would be in the first place, via dice rolls. 

The entire system relies on chance, in the end, if the d100 is stronger than the enemies roll; it works. 

3. I  made this system to provide fluidity of equal strength, everyone is useful and everyone works together to survive. Icly, not Oocly...A Tank alone isn't going to fair well...and just because they have more armor, doesn't mean that their health is better or just because their story line shows them as some hero and warrior of light figure, doesn't mean they can't be slain. This makes it so that everyone is equal in strength regardless and as a team can provide even more strength for those who need it. 

As it may make more sense to give more hp to specific classes, it would over complicate a system that is meant to be quite simple...so that rp flows quickly and everyone has fun regardless.

Though this is a source that can be changed for others who wish to use it...so I ask of you to go ahead and utilize what is provided and make your own system =D

EDIT: After more testing, on the answer to 3, i can see what you mean...i may have to rethink the system all-together, but when it comes to melee classes against eachother, things seem fluid...summoners are an issue currently.

RE: RP Fate Mechanic - Jana - 01-12-2015

A note on Summoners: The level 50 job skill, Enkindle, lets the summon use the Primal's instant-kill move as an AoE attack with a 5-minute cooldown. This sounds a lot like what's already in place to allow for a big AoE, minus the extra effect on Titan-Egi's (leaves behind the molten pool that the Granite Gaolers in Titan Ex leave behind when they're defeated).

RE: RP Fate Mechanic - Ventus Zeruel - 01-13-2015

(01-12-2015, 11:03 PM)Jana Wrote: A note on Summoners: The level 50 job skill, Enkindle, lets the summon use the Primal's instant-kill move as an AoE attack with a 5-minute cooldown. This sounds a lot like what's already in place to allow for a big AoE, minus the extra effect on Titan-Egi's (leaves behind the molten pool that the Granite Gaolers in Titan Ex leave behind when they're defeated).
I will take note of this and edit when I get the time. ^_^