Hydaelyn Role-Players
Help me decide - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Help me decide (/showthread.php?tid=9628)

Help me decide - Jack - 01-10-2015

Background: I happened to join a RP fc on Behemoth, and was told about this rp community, so I'm not exactly fresh, but I am new.

So for the past few days (Thursday to Saturday), I've been sitting at the character creation screen refreshing the world list every 3 minutes, waiting for either Gilgamesh or Balmung to open for a second. I would do this from midnight to 7am each night (us central time) with no avail.

My question is; should I cough up the $18 and transfer characters, skipping the "growing" process, or remain vigilant in my quest to slip in?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RE: Help me decide - Maril - 01-10-2015

Balmung's next opportunity is probably not going to be until the 20th when the maintenance happens. As far as I can tell, Gilgamesh opens a bit more frequently still, usually very early in the morning though for most US people. 

It honestly depends on where you would rather go and how patient you are. If it was me, I would probably cough up the money for a transfer.

RE: Help me decide - Moonlit - 01-10-2015

Balmung is usually open early week days (Monday to Wednesday), and just before or after maintenance. It usually opens between 3am - 7am PST. I had to set an alarm to get onto the server. Weekends and late week doesn't seem to be the best in terms of Balmung. I can't speak for Gil because I don't play on it. xP

RE: Help me decide - Canuklehead - 01-10-2015

I had fine luck on Gilgamesh, early mornings (about 5:00 to 6:00 am EST).  The only time I saw Balmung open was immediately after the last maintenance, when I made my character there.  

If waiting for a server is keeping you from playing and enjoying the game, then I'd personally just transfer.

RE: Help me decide - Flickering Ember - 01-10-2015

I can't answer your poll without knowing more details. What level is your current character? If your current character is high-level, I would definitely transfer. If they aren't, I would keep trying. Also, I don't think you are trying at the right times, you may want to try at around 8 AM EST

RE: Help me decide - Atoli - 01-10-2015

(01-10-2015, 12:29 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote: I can't answer your poll without knowing more details. What level is your current character? If your current character is high-level, I would definitely transfer. If they aren't, I would keep trying. Also, I don't think you are trying at the right times, you may want to try at around 8 AM EST
This right here! However in terms of times that you're trying, I'd instead advise 4am to 7am CST, as that's when I've always had luck and can ensure you you'll spend less time hunting character creation haha

Also, during weekends and holidays there will be no chance to make new characters. As you might imagine, students stay up much later during these times and make up a fair amount of the server population!

RE: Help me decide - Chillsmack - 01-10-2015

Will transfers bypass the population cap? I thought I had read in the terms and conditions for the character transfer service that you couldn't transfer a character to a server that was closed (I imagine you'd only be able to send the request once that tiny window of availability opened)

RE: Help me decide - Kage - 01-10-2015

(01-10-2015, 02:51 PM)Chillsmack Wrote: Will transfers bypass the population cap? I thought I had read in the terms and conditions for the character transfer service that you couldn't transfer a character to a server that was closed (I imagine you'd only be able to send the request once that tiny window of availability opened)
From all I've heard, transfers are not affected by character creation closures

RE: Help me decide - Chillsmack - 01-10-2015

(01-10-2015, 04:18 PM)Kage Wrote:
(01-10-2015, 02:51 PM)Chillsmack Wrote: Will transfers bypass the population cap? I thought I had read in the terms and conditions for the character transfer service that you couldn't transfer a character to a server that was closed (I imagine you'd only be able to send the request once that tiny window of availability opened)
From all I've heard, transfers are not affected by character creation closures

Oh that's good, otherwise that'd be one helluva headache

RE: Help me decide - Jack - 01-10-2015

(01-10-2015, 12:29 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote: I can't answer your poll without knowing more details. What level is your current character? If your current character is high-level, I would definitely transfer. If they aren't, I would keep trying. Also, I don't think you are trying at the right times, you may want to try at around 8 AM EST
He's ilvl 90-ish Warrior but that's the only class that is that high. So it's not too inconvenient (to me anyways) to start fresh.

RE: Help me decide - Jack - 01-11-2015

Update

Thank you all for the suggestions. I decided to follow the majority vote and I transferred over to Balmung. I hope to meet plenty of you there. Thanks!