Hydaelyn Role-Players
E V I L. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: E V I L. (/showthread.php?tid=9627)

Pages: 1 2

E V I L. - WiredBones - 01-10-2015

So I'd like to start making some connections with you evil people. Although in order to do that I need to know what sort of illegal stuff is going on (Especially in the Ul'dah area). So in order to make new connections lets bring an evil thread where we can talk about what your character does and who they work with! Personally, here are some things I'm hoping to find:

I l l e g a l  A l c h e m i s t s

Do you guys think some of the potions would be illegal? Is it lore appropriate to also have drug-type potions that sell for lots, ruin lives, and make tons of money? While I understand there being potions to help people when they cross enemies, lets be honest. Will an adventurer rip out a sleeping potion and try to spoon feed it to an enemy when they're ambushed? When they're being stabbed at are they seriously going to try and slowly poison their attacker to death? I think it would be much more likely for people to be sleeping a pretty girl at the bar, or poisoning someone quietly as a way to murder without getting caught. And if these potions 1OO% are legal, do you think most places would sell some of the dangerous, questionable potions that are obviously more likely to be used in order to break laws and bring harm to people?

And if it is illegal/hard to get your hands on dangerous potions. DOES YOUR CHARACTER SELL ANY? I NEED MY FIX.

B l a c k  M a g e s

In the story quest, the BLM we meet is studying up with books and having a really difficult time making progress until he meets the three beast tribesmen who join him in his journey where his inching turns to leaps and bounds. Is your character a black mage? Are they interested in becoming a black mage? Are they currently doing bad black mage stuff or have any desire to be messing with the void for any reason? Is there already some secret black mage cult-like deal that I dunno about yet? Lets play with the void, bruh.

H a n d  F o r  H i r e

Are you a generic mercenary/thug/street rat who'd basically do anything for a buck? Are you a badass who will only murder people? Or if I offered you a few thousand gil to clean my house would you be all over that? I basically like hearing if hand-for-hire type characters have a line the draw when they're given jobs. I'd also like to hear where you typically get your work from. Is there a group somewhere people can put in requests? Do you put up posters? Do you walk around begging people to do anything for a meal? How would I know you're for hire ICly?

B u s s i n e s s  M e n

Do you sell something bad? Perhaps illegal potions. Perhaps you're in the slaver business. Perhaps you're shipping over weapons from The Garlean Empre. Perhaps you ship stolen goods. Blah blah blah. I wanna know what type of underground businesses we might have ICly by played characters.

G r a y  A r e a 

Is your character being blackmailed into doing things they don't want to? Would they make a good eternal slave if I threatened to kill everyone they loved? Oh sorry I'm getting ahead of myself aren't I? No but seriously. I love blackmailing people into doing dark things they wouldn't normally. If you're interested in a situation like that then come at me, bro. If you are already in a situation like that, what are the specifics and how did it start? 

O t h e r

Oh sweet! You're something that I couldn't think of off the top of my head? TELL ME ALL ABOUT IT PLS I WANT TO PLOT WITH YOU TOO.

RE: E V I L. - WiredBones - 01-10-2015

List Of Character Involved With The Illegal World
Please quote me with a new little blurb if you dislike the one I have written for you!

Aaron Frostheart
Illegal weapon's trade.

Franz Renatus
Garlean in hiding. Perfect person to blackmail. 

Edgar Gandervalt
Edgar is someone who believes everyone has good in them, even the shady characters. Sadly, this happens to be a trait that can cause him a lot of grief and get him caught up in bad situations.

V'lanya Mei
Research into aether manipulation caused her to be void touched. This makes it impossible for her to fight the urge to drain aether from those around her. She is considered a hand-for-hire as well. 

Doendraga Barabahrsyn
He is an independant captain, hand-for-hire, and smuggler. He travels where the coin does.

Nako'li Chalahko
Perfect man to move stolen goods, and he sells information if the price is good enough.

C'kayah Tia
While he used to be a thief (and still can be, on the rare occasion), he's got his own import/export front which is a legitimate business. His aim is to gain power and can still be driven to do illegal things.

Ciel Wulfe
Being physically ill, he feels he owes everything he is to the person who saved him. Fearful of abandonment, he devotes himself to his master. He has tortured, murdered, and finds himself to enjoy inflicting or receiving pain.

Jana Ridah
She is a person with questionable morals who used to be a hand-for-hire, 

RE: E V I L. - Aaron - 01-10-2015

Aaron is neutral, he does whatever gets him a better reward. 

He's also on the illegal weapons trade, it's how he gets all his gear.

RE: E V I L. - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-10-2015

Franz falls somewhere between Grey Area and Hand for Hire.

Technically a Garlean in hiding (they've got a kill order for him), he's been spending his days in Eorzea trying to sort out his life. His first few recent memories involved waking up remembering nothing of his own life in the middle of the desert. From there, he basically fought to survive, taking on any task that would yield the gil he needed to live. He pretty much took any job that looked fairly stable, whether it was roughing someone up, bodyguard work, or just cheap labor. It didn't matter if it gave him a place to stay, food and clothes. 

These days, life has mellowed out and he's come onto some money. Might have even made some friends. While open to some about who he is, Franz is usually reserved and acts in a polite manner. He's not above being blackmailed or forced to do something, if someone is able to pull the right strings. Or maybe someone could be luring him out with someone of interest to him?

But to the people who have seen his bad side. Yup, Franz can be a pretty terrible person. 

RE: E V I L. - Edgar - 01-10-2015

[Image: tumblr_inline_ncsp86wSid1sxlyin.gif]

Why did it take me to post this?

You guys have forgotten your childhoods. (Also, while I'm on the subject of Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy: Every Villain Is Lemons)

Now then. Concerning Edgar, he's not necessarily an evil character; in fact, his moral compass tends to point towards a neutral good. The problem he has is that he ends up associated with people who are not so good-natured. Delial Grimsong is a perfect example. 

Edgar tends to see the good in people that most others cannot, and this lands him in a lot of trouble, because more often than not, that sliver of goodness pales in comparison to the magnitude of the person's natural tendency to do bad things, something he tends to gloss over because "hey, they have some redeeming value." Maybe Edgar just hopes that by revealing and focusing on this hidden good nature, this will somehow cause the person to perform a face-heel turn towards the light, but in cases such as Delial's, the results have been relatively mixed.

Suffice to say, failure in such endeavors often causes Ed a lot of depression.

RE: E V I L. - Liandri - 01-10-2015

Ah! This excites me to no degree since the holiday rushes are over. I personally think V'lanya falls into the 'Other' category, though is also a 'Hand for Hire'.

A crisis of conscience that could likely never happen to a freelancer is a good thing. While she doesn't walk around with a giant, flashing neon sign that states: "HIRE ME I NEED TO FUND MY WINE ADDICTION", it's quite obvious that she's able-bodied and looking for work. Namely due to the fact she can often be seen picking up the leve cards that most would leave behind.

Though the 'other' category pertains to her a little better. Self-titled 'Queen' and genius, and a rather overt issue with her arrogance, she's devoted most of her life thus far to her research into aether manipulation. The fascination caused her to become void-touched in the first place, and now she has a longing thirst for draining aether from others.

She's not blatantly evil, and mostly comes across as an arrogant; intellectual; snob; though the correct conversation can cause her to divulge in her more sinister streak. A penchant for watching others in pain can sometimes be obvious, however, though it hasn't happened in public for quite some time.

Reading through your post has drawn me to some conclusions. She hasn't -worked- with anyone yet to the point where she's divulged her evil side, though things seem to be in the works. As for illegal stuff going on? Finding people and draining their aether to the point they die, I heard that's illegal, apparently...

RE: E V I L. - Chillsmack - 01-10-2015

There's Doendraga, the Roegadyn swashbuckler who falls between Business Man and Hand for Hire being an independent captain and a professional not-smuggler ;-)

Though he's primarily based out of Limsa Lominsa, he's obviously found in docks all over Eorzea. He goes where the coin can be made, follows through with whatever pays the most (usually), and as a result is usually harbor-hoping all over the place and bouncing from one port to the next.

RE: E V I L. - Aduu Avagnar - 01-10-2015

Nako is now a trader whose focus is on 'If you want it, we can get it.' so is definately open to moving stolen goods should the price be high enough. he also deals in information, again depending on the coin.

but yeah, he is most definately in the Grey area of Neutrality.

RE: E V I L. - C'kayah Polaali - 01-10-2015

I wouldn't call C'kayah really evil, per say, unless you'd call John Gotti evil.

He started out as a thief (motivated by his desire to reattain the luxuries he had when he was the silver merchant A'rela Nereh's favorite sweet young thing), was run out of Ul'dah because he was clumsy with the politics of who to steal from and who not to steal from, settled in the Shroud, made connections with the local Duskwight and Moonkeeper clans, and started to smuggle.

In the last year he's become much more of a business man, to the extent that his current organization has a legitimate import/export front and is chartered by the Syndicate. As the organization grows, his aims and desires mostly are for things that will continue to amass power for it, though he still indulges in the occasional theft (or worse), driven by motivations he doesn't quite understand.

RE: E V I L. - Ciel - 01-10-2015

How about someone who is evil just for kicks?  Or they do evil because they believe themselves indebted to someone in authority, and have become devoted on a nearly sycophantic level and developed a taste for the darkness?

I have an alt who fits the above.  After being very ill, physically, for most of his life he was found, changed, and believes himself to have been saved.  Without his physical ailment to hold him back, he has devoted himself wholly to the life and cause of the one who found him.  At his core, he is lonely and fears being abandoned again, and thus fully dedicates himself to his master's favor.

He enjoys tormenting others and inflicting pain, there is no such thing as a swift death at his hands, and this is deliberate.  Pain is life, and he is never more alive than when he is inflicting or receiving pain.

RE: E V I L. - Jana - 01-10-2015

My character is definitely not a nice person. She may have been a "hand for hire" originally, but Jana's moved past that stage as both a character and with her adventuring career, able to pick and choose what she wants to do rather than being at the whims of potential employers. She wouldn't do a job that payed a lot for assassinating a public official, for instance. Instead, she's focused on meeting her goals of both short-term and long-term revenge, and being a Summoner, isn't against the slaughter of beast tribes for a shot at more power. I didn't see "genocide" in that list, but I assume it counts?

RE: E V I L. - Seriphyn - 01-10-2015

I actually dislike evil characters and villainy in RP.

For the same reason no one is truly villainous in real life. No one. Twisted, maybe, but there's probably some mad logic to it.

Like Garleans in FFXIV. They're trying to bring order to the land with belligerent militarism. It just so happens Eorzea doesn't like imperialism, etc.

RE: E V I L. - Parvacake - 01-10-2015

Lili is more Chaotic Good, but the right triggers will send her over the edge. Currently she's amassed quite a little army going after the man who kidnapped her son, even going as far as to turn to her ex-fiance (Hiya C'kayah!) for help to get the end results she wants. Generally: you hurt her kids, her fiance, or any small or helpless thing in her vicinity? She will want to destroy you.

There's been a little storyline in the works where Lili might start to lose her memories as product of an ailment put on her from someone out of spite, and if that happens I plan to have a LOT more fun with it and make her unfiltered and almost volatile.

But to digress back to your proposed categories, Lili falls into the illegal alchemy scheme due to some of the research she's done to help save her daughter's life. Asking smugglers, criminals, and ex-cons to even help her get some of the riskier supplies she's needed.

Business woman is another one since she has some employees (Hiya Liandri!) who are not exactly...'wholesome'. But she cares about them and does her best to protect them and keep others from knowing more then they should. So she does bad and even evil things at times in the name of protection. Manipulation is something she's delving into as well, though subtly. Because who questions a woman who adopts children with big tits and a sweet smile to be anything but pleasant?

RE: E V I L. - Jaliqai - 01-10-2015

Oho. Did somebody say 'evil'..?

I'm always, always, always up for more evil / villainy minded RP with Xheja. To give a really short summary, she's a Void-corrupted. While she's still not the "Muahaha, I'm gonna destroy the world! -twirls pencil mustache-" kind of evil, she's definitely lacking in any normal sense of morality, and is primarily driven by hedonism and her own sense of what she finds "entertaining". It's just happens that the corruption makes what she finds entertaining boil down to things that tend to hurt other people, and in particular, she's fond of wrapping others around her fingers and pulling strings without them even noticing or caring.

That said, she fits into a couple of the things you said you're particularly interested in!

Illegal Alchemists:  This pretty much sums up Xheja's more illicit business ventures. She's an alchemist by trade and while normally she puts that to "good" use with her public business, she is also a black market poison-maker that meets with clients in disguise - so as to keep her public appearance "clean" of suspicion - to make customer orders of whatever nasty little brews they need or to get their hands on something specific with a high degree of (usually costly) discretion. 

Black Mage:  Before her corruption really solidified, Xheja was primarily a thaumaturge and aetheric researcher, dabbling in black magic for scholarly purposes. But with the corruption has, obviously, come a greater knowledge and understanding of black magic. While it's no longer something she uses very often (seeing as she already has too much fun playing around with her business), she is rather knowledgeable and capable when it comes to black magic, especially where it deals with the Void.

Businesswoman:  Xheja's public is that of the owner and operator of a more-or-less legitimate (at least by Ul'dahn standards) high-end cosmetics business called Rajhera's Radiants. Not particularly exciting in and of itself, but it does make a great cover and alibi at times, and it's convenient for making the connections she needs for her other business and laundering money.

That said, if any of these sound appealing to you, let me know! Or if you want / need more into about Xheja, let me know. Her wiki is a WIP at the moment as I transfer it over to a new format and update it. I'd love to get my mustache-twirling evil RP on! c:

RE: E V I L. - WiredBones - 01-10-2015

(01-10-2015, 07:28 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: I actually dislike evil characters and villainy in RP.

For the same reason no one is truly villainous in real life. No one. Twisted, maybe, but there's probably some mad logic to it.

Like Garleans in FFXIV. They're trying to bring order to the land with belligerent militarism. It just so happens Eorzea doesn't like imperialism, etc.

Evil characters are evil. A good evil character is someone you can relate to, and after speaking to, would understand their side of the story. Something that has stuck for me for ages has been a man I met in high school who counseled kids that did drugs. He said something to me along the lines of: 

"The absolute worst I deal with are really smart kids. After speaking to someone who is really intelligent they explain themselves so well and have such logical reasoning that by the time they leave they'll have YOU considering doing them. It's so hard to sit there trying not to take their side when they give such mature responses that make you want to agree with them."

I think that basically sums up how majority of people feel about villain characters. While yes, we all agree that 'There is no good and evil just love and hate', you should know what I am referring to when I'm asking to outreach to "evil" characters who are involved with illegal activities and have twisted morals. No reason for you to bash the people posting here.