Hydaelyn Role-Players
PS4 Players with Advice? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: PS4 Players with Advice? (/showthread.php?tid=9594)

Pages: 1 2

PS4 Players with Advice? - Canuklehead - 01-08-2015

I did a quick search and didn't see any similar threads (if I missed it, please link and you can disregard this one)…

But are there any PS4 players who have advice in regards to controller vs.  Keyboard/Mouse?  Using the in-game chat, getting used to the cross-hotbar, etc.

I like using the controller and I can see how I can get used to the Cross-Hotbar with a little practice and customizing - but it's obviously terrible for chatting.  I run a Mac at home, so I'm only limited to my PS4…  and I'd rather not go get a new keyboard/mouse just for the one game.  

Any tips that fellow consolers found works for them?

RE: PS4 Players with Advice? - Aaron - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 02:43 PM)Canuklehead Wrote: I did a quick search and didn't see any similar threads (if I missed it, please link and you can disregard this one)…

But are there any PS4 players who have advice in regards to controller vs.  Keyboard/Mouse?  Using the in-game chat, getting used to the cross-hotbar, etc.

I like using the controller and I can see how I can get used to the Cross-Hotbar with a little practice and customizing - but it's obviously terrible for chatting.  I run a Mac at home, so I'm only limited to my PS4…  and I'd rather not go get a new keyboard/mouse just for the one game.  

Actually with enough practice you can rival keyboard typing!

Im solely PS4 and I type so fast I can hold a rapid conversation with several people on a Daily basis! 

All about the fingerwork my friend, use the controller enough and your fingers type without a second thought.

RE: PS4 Players with Advice? - TheLastCandle - 01-08-2015

If you have a smartphone or tablet, try downloading the Playstation app if you haven't already. It has a "Second Screen" function which you can use for typing. (Once in the Second Screen window, there should be a keyboard icon on the top left corner, IIRC.) That might make it easier for you. Smile

RE: PS4 Players with Advice? - Canuklehead - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 02:46 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 02:43 PM)Canuklehead Wrote: I did a quick search and didn't see any similar threads (if I missed it, please link and you can disregard this one)…

Im solely PS4 and I type so fast I can hold a rapid conversation with several people on a Daily basis! 

All about the fingerwork my friend, use the controller enough and your fingers type without a second thought.

Awesome!

I was a little concerned that it might be harder to type and play, when using the controller.  Do you find it hard to multitask with typing in combat?

(01-08-2015, 02:51 PM)TheLastCandle Wrote: If you have a smartphone or tablet, try downloading the Playstation app if you haven't already. It has a "Second Screen" function which you can use for typing. (Once in the Second Screen window, there should be a keyboard icon on the top left corner, IIRC.) That might make it easier for you. Smile

Oh, yeah…   good thinking.  That might be an interesting thing to test

RE: PS4 Players with Advice? - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-08-2015

While not a PS4 player, my PC set up is similar, since I play with a controller (PS4 controller, actually).

I have my game set up to use the crossbar for skills, and a keyboard/mouse for typing and menus. There's something nice about having a real keyboard, especially for RP where fast typing is helpful for longer posts. I've found I like the controller controls more, since they fit my play style better.

There is also a magical way to use the joysticks as a mouse cursor too! ...I think it's L1 combined with L3 or R3 (pushing down the joystick). You then get an arrow cursor, like a virtual mouse. 

One note is that with the PS4, you could just use a keyboard/mouse and no controller, if you feel that works best for you as well. SE did a nice job with options.

RE: PS4 Players with Advice? - Hiro - 01-08-2015

There are now a number of unofficial keyboard attachments for the PS4 controller which health this immensely. I've since swapped from my keyboard and mouse setup to utilizing one such attachment as it not only allows me to hit Enter to type but now gives me better hotbar access for macros and keybinds along with a crossbar.

Of course when I'm in RP I still default to my USB Mouse and Keyboard, you're also able to change the settings of the PS4 over to Mouse/Keyboard if you've got a USB setup. If you're lacking USB ports there are several reliable USB hubs that will function without external power as well.

DOBE Mini Bluetooth Wireless KEyboard Controller Attachment (PS4)

PS4 Chatboost (Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard Controller Attachment) - I utilise this and I've had no problems.

Both options are around $30-$40, I've seen other variants running $25. From the reviews I would go with either of those two I presented though.

RE: PS4 Players with Advice? - Aaron - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 03:02 PM)Canuklehead Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 02:46 PM)Aaron Wrote:

Awesome!

I was a little concerned that it might be harder to type and play, when using the controller.  Do you find it hard to multitask with typing in combat?
Nope Tongue half the time im in a dungeon lol

RE: PS4 Players with Advice? - Aris - 01-08-2015

I use a controller, plus keyboard when RPing or raiding. Super slow at typing otherwise, but thankfully it seems most people are patient and know there are many PS4 players without a keyboard Smile

Typing longer messages in combat is more or less impossible (for me any way) as I need to stop to type and it takes ages and argghh. There could be the option to make some macro replies and sticking them on a separate hotbar if you wanted, but it's not ideal when trying to explain something or general conversion lol. Good for raiding though if you don't have a voice program.

My favourite customization is making it so only certain hotbars appear when your weapon is equipped. Another quick & easy hotbar switch is the option of holding R2 then pressing L2, vice versa.

L1 + R1 equip/unequip
L1 + center bar removes the stuff around the screen
L1 + R3 toggles cursor mode - R2/L2 are right and left click
L2/R2 + L1/R1 cycles through enemies (you can edit the target filters as you see fit though)

Will add more as I remember Tongue

Cool!  Very useful info

I'll try my Second Screen app and look into getting an inexpensive keyboard if it doesn't work out.

I really like the idea of making certain hot bars appear when I change stance.  And using the L1+L2 thing…  I looked into it a bit and it's probably a nice touch.  

I was a little worried that I'd be limiting myself too much by only using a controller, but from what I'm reading, SE made it a really feasible way of playing.

RE: PS4 Players with Advice? - Demitri Omni - 01-08-2015

I generally enjoy the way it's set up by default, with a few tweaks. I play on PC with a PS3 controller.

I often switch between two hotbars with R1, as it's easier than cycling through more than one, and I have R2+L2 display the left half of a third hotbar. Usually used for stances and such.

[Image: QZ0KvSc.png]

My Paladin hotbars, as an example. Not sure if you can set standard hotbars to display on the console versions, but they serve as good indicators for macros that include multiple abilities.

EDIT: Also, for the controller vs. kb/m thing, I greatly prefer controller, as it gives much more precise control over positioning in my opinion.

EDIT2: If you want a bit of advice on hotbars and such, I'd gladly post all of my macros and hotbar positions somewhere for you, but I doubt I should here since it would be a pretty massive post.

(01-08-2015, 05:26 PM)Demitri Omni Wrote: EDIT2: If you want a bit of advice on hotbars and such, I'd gladly post all of my macros and hotbar positions somewhere for you, but I doubt I should here since it would be a pretty massive post.

Thanks, man!  I haven't played with Macros too much, yet - Still not sure what will work best for me.  But, I'd love to hear how you set up your hotbar positions and any tips on when to write a useful macro.  I haven't gotten set in any ways, and want to experiment a bit while I can.  Feel free to PM me, whenever you like - no rush at all.  And always, much appreciated!

RE: PS4 Players with Advice? - Lost River - 01-08-2015

I rock KB&M in my living room on the PS4 and in my bedroom on PC. Sometimes when I want to, I do controller and keyboard.

I'm playing as an Archanist and find flipping around through hotbars to be hard to get used to.  I always forget what is where and end up just flipping through them with R1 until I find what I want...  Is there an easier way to do it that I'm missing?  Maybe with Stance-specific hotbars? Or is it just something I need to get used to?

RE: PS4 Players with Advice? - Aris - 01-09-2015

Ah, a fellow arcanist! Nice choice. Tongue

If I remember rightly, when you first join the first hotbar has your abilities, a second has red menu buttons, and then as an arcanist you'll also have the pet hotbar (which may be separate). I think that's it?

Stance specific would be most helpful! 

Character Configuration: Hotbar -> Cross hotbar
Set Selection
- Enable customization for when weapon is drawn

- Sets automatically switch when sheathing or drawing your weapon.

(Here's a helpful bit about it)

I'm not sure how else to explain, so thought I'd show you what I've done and hopefully it might help. Tongue

Personally I've assigned hotbar 1 and 2 for when my weapon is drawn, and put anything extra on hotbar 8. When my weapon is sheathed, I click through 3 different hotbars and don't mind doing it, but in the area above you can specifically assign a number to be your sheathed one if it suits you.

I also removed all of the red menu links and only access the menu through 'start', which works for me, and disabled the pet hotbar and put the pet abilities I use on 1 & 2. You can disable it in the hotbar menu.

[Image: tumblr_nhxeb04ILO1tkrc5po1_1280.jpg]

~ Welcome ~ to my screen! It's a bit of a mess, I need to fix things. Big Grin

[Image: tumblr_nhxetjGVI41tkrc5po1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nhxetjGVI41tkrc5po2_1280.png]

Hotbar 1 & 2. On 2, on the left is pet Garuda Egi's abilities, Obey, Heel, Place and Sic. 

You don't really need to worry about this at the moment, but when you get to later levels, you'll want to have full control over your pet. At early levels it's on to leave them on Sic (attack).

[Image: tumblr_nhxetjGVI41tkrc5po3_1280.png]

Hotbar 8. Teleport, Return, Emotes, my mount, Linkshell and Free Company links. The stuff on the other side is changed depending on what I'm doing in game. In this case, I recently went to a friend's Eternal Bonding and put party stuff on there. Tongue

[Image: tumblr_nhxetjGVI41tkrc5po4_1280.png]

This is the LB>RB hotbar. Currently empty because I've been changing things, but this is what it looks like any way.

And that's everything I think. Swapping hotbars you quickly get used to as you remember where everything is and it becomes automatic, but at first I remember it being a bit overwhelming. 

I hope this helps a bit! Sorry for rambling and massive post.