Hydaelyn Role-Players
Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP (/showthread.php?tid=9562)

Pages: 1 2 3

Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - Ashren Dotharl - 01-05-2015

So I'll just start this by saying that, admittedly, I have always sucked when it came to deal with new people. I have something of an abrasive and stubborn demeanor that can take a bit of getting used to. Because of this I deal with a bit of anxiety when it comes with meeting new people, so I've primarily stuck with RPing in a very small group of people only on occasion. This has worked out for me for the most part because it means there's never any conflict in story or anything like that. 

Lately however, especially with the approach of the new expansion, I've found myself wanting to branch out, meet new people and become a bit more involved in the RP community as a whole. I volunteered to work as a priest at the Starlight Ball and met a few folks, which was fun but sadly it wasn't lasting. I tend to wander around a lot ICly, just walking between the cities, hanging out in the adventurer's guilds, and just sort of people watching but never really sure how to get myself involved.

That brings us to the topic of this thread, I'm seeking advice on how to meet new people, how to get involved in walk ups, or attract them. I guess that's pretty much it, any advice is welcome.

RE: Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - Faye - 01-05-2015

A positive attitude is the most important thing in attracting others. An abrasive and stubborn demeanor will do you no good.

RE: Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - Ciel - 01-05-2015

Well, there's the usual haunts like the Quicksand.  I can't guarantee there is always consistent quality to be found there, but there's almost always some RP going on.

Otherwise, look for some other RPCer's in game, throw them a /tell and see if they're open to a walk-up.  It always pays to examine a person you're curious about, too, and look at their search comment.  If they're an RPer, it will usually say as much, and sometimes give clues as to RP styles.  There are also a ton of RPers who aren't active or registered on RPC, too, so it's worth looking at those search comments.

RE: Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - Boo the Hamster - 01-05-2015

Honestly?  Just show up.  If you're nervous about people not wanting to have you in their RP for whatever reason if they're out and about, send a tell and see what they say.  Most people I know of are alright with a newcomer being with them.

RE: Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - Ashren Dotharl - 01-05-2015

(01-05-2015, 10:03 PM)Faye Wrote: A positive attitude is the most important thing in attracting others. An abrasive and stubborn demeanor will do you no good.
That I'm afraid I can't really help, it's just how I am. I lack a filter between my brain and my mouth, so what I think is what I say regardless of social taboos or etiquette. Trust me, if I could change it I would. Sad

RE: Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - NeonSears - 01-05-2015

I'm honestly somewhat the same way, If I'm not with people I know, I usually just sit there and watch. It isn't that I don't like the people, its just I feel like I wouldnt talk in the same manner that they do.

RE: Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - Savarah - 01-05-2015

I'm also really terrible with new folks. Not because I'm abrasive (though I certainly can be), but simply because I'm shy around people I don't know and I was never a fan of super shallow tavern style RP that doesn't -go- anywhere.

I totally agree with trying to hook up with folks from the RPC, and definitely search through people search comments when you examine them. If you're not sure, just send a /tell first.

That being said, I'm more than open to expanding my horizons if you need to plan out a meeting ahead of time with a new person. Sav likes friends. ^^

RE: Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - Ashren Dotharl - 01-05-2015

I spend a lot of time just sort of sitting and reading RP, though it never feels... organic (?) to just walk up and try to join in, or maybe I just feel like it would be rude and even asking sometimes feels like an imposition. I also kinda feel weird examining people sometimes cause it makes me feel like a creeper. XD

RE: Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - Savarah - 01-05-2015

(01-05-2015, 10:59 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: I spend a lot of time just sort of sitting and reading RP, though it never feels... organic (?) to just walk up and try to join in, or maybe I just feel like it would be rude and even asking sometimes feels like an imposition. I also kinda feel weird examining people sometimes cause it makes me feel like a creeper. XD

I wallflower in the Quicksand reading RP /all the time/. And I never join in either. Also, examining trick: left click on the person, right click name, left click view search info, then detarget them while you're examining. (I kinda sorta do this a lot to make it seem like I'm not creepin').

I have the same issues and I don't know how to fix them other than to just shut up and initiate. >.<

RE: Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - Atoli - 01-05-2015

(01-05-2015, 10:59 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: I spend a lot of time just sort of sitting and reading RP, though it never feels... organic (?) to just walk up and try to join in, or maybe I just feel like it would be rude and even asking sometimes feels like an imposition. I also kinda feel weird examining people sometimes cause it makes me feel like a creeper. XD

I know exactly what you mean and in fact feel it constantly when lurking roleplaying hubs. I've found that the perfect remedy is roleplaying that you're confusing the other character with someone you think you know, or asking them if they know of a missing item, person, etc. Basically, making up a reason to talk to a random stranger. That in mind, if I see you in game around popular roleplaying hubs I'll hit you up, if you wouldn't mind it!

RE: Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - Kellach Woods - 01-05-2015

I do that, then I end up barging in Coerthas in booty shorts to help someone look for a spear.

So, creep away. If you overhear anything interesting, or something you can work with, throw something out. If it doesn't work you get ignored and you can shrug it off. If it does, hey, RP hook!

RE: Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - Kinono - 01-05-2015

(01-05-2015, 11:12 PM)Savarah Wrote:  Also, examining trick: left click on the person, right click name, left click view search info, then detarget them while you're examining. (I kinda sorta do this a lot to make it seem like I'm not creepin').

If you don't want to look at them at all, you can always type

Quote:/c "Player Name"

It will bring up the same information without the need to target.

(01-05-2015, 11:34 PM)Kinono Wrote:
(01-05-2015, 11:12 PM)Savarah Wrote:  Also, examining trick: left click on the person, right click name, left click view search info, then detarget them while you're examining. (I kinda sorta do this a lot to make it seem like I'm not creepin').

This is incredibly handy, wonder if I can make a macro to ninja examine people.

Edit: Yay it works! /c "<t>" and you can target someone, hit the macro then untarget them really fast.

RE: Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - Aaron - 01-06-2015

(01-05-2015, 11:36 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote:
(01-05-2015, 11:34 PM)Kinono Wrote:

This is incredibly handy, wonder if I can make a macro to ninja examine people.

Edit: Yay it works! /c "<t>" and you can target someone, hit the macro then untarget them really fast.
You sly devil you.

Ninja examining people with macros. I say we give this man a medal.

RE: Question about meeting new people and walk-up RP - ArmachiA - 01-06-2015

Can I ask HOW you're so abrasive? I'm like super blunt and honest myself, but I generally don't have a problem with meeting new people, so I'm wondering what you mean by it? I'm really really opinionated and very outspoken and not really afraid of speaking my mind, but I don't think I'm mean and am generally approachable. What, specifically is your issue?