Hydaelyn Role-Players
Random character idea stewing in my head. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Random character idea stewing in my head. (/showthread.php?tid=9500)

Random character idea stewing in my head. - Kurt S. - 01-01-2015

Now this is basically the backstory I have for a miqote Seeker I'm planning to create once Balmung decides to open for me. However, I'm kinda iffy on the cultural mixing in general and would like to solicit a few reactions or opinions from the community. I write this as I stalk the refresh button on world selection in character creation.

I wanted to try and play off a (I guess) possible outcome resulting from the Nunh hierarchy system found in (what I assume) are a number (or majority) of Seeker clans. I remember seeing something somewhere in this forum about "sending females away to hunt while the (alpha?) lion goes and gobbles up all the males" or something to that effect. Correct me if I'm wrong but a Tia can challenge a Nunh for his position as the harem lord whenever the Tia wants right? 

In any case, this is what I planned. Lets say my own miqote's elder brother decides to challenge daddy dearest to a duel for the right to become Nunh. Mainly fueled by hot headed desire. Let's say elder brother gets his ass kicked and then summarily executed post duel. Now is it possible for a Nunh to become paranoid enough to condemn/banish/kill the siblings of the challenger Tia and how would it be viewed by the tribe at large, general speaking, if they knew what he was doing.

My idea is that the following nights after defeating the Tia, the Nunh whisks away the Tia's male siblings one by one and feeds them to the Sagolii Desert, probably to the sand worms, to weed out any form of challenge to his breeding rights. Take note I plan to make the siblings anywhere from like an 8 year old something like it up to like 13 in age range. Too brutal or is it possible for a Nunh to just not give a shit?

Okay so under the assumption that everything is within reasonable enough bounds culture wise, my own miqote gets whisked away, almost gets eaten by a sand worm but gets saved and adopted by an elezen ex-merc turned warrior merchant or something like it. What kind of elezen might be more common around Uldah, Duskwight or Woodland? Yes I know, you'd be hard pressed to find one in Uldah and Thanalan in the first place, but let's play around with the 0.01%, which might be more common among the two? Also regardless of Dusk or Wood, they still have those french surnames right?

Any source I can grab some elezen culture info from? I mean I want to try and make my miqote more...elezen minded, yes a possible pretender and poser. I mean I'd like to have a grasp about what this ex-merc might bestow on his ward. Again, under the assumption that I'm still within reasonable cultural bounds. Now why Elezen? Because it has something to do with my Miqote's name. No he won't have Letter'somethingsomething Tia. 

All the other ideas in my head are character specific. Like my own miqote having an irrational fear(mixed with a dash of intense hate, like Astral Fire III and a few dozen Fire III spells cast at the same time intense, but I plan to make the intense hate rare) of other miqotes and felines in general, regardless of Seeker or Keeper(subject to change, maybe his ex-merc foster dad/mom might tell him the difference between the two). I mean being fed to a sandworm by your own people would prolly screw with your head or traumatize you. Or that the ex-merc in question was a particularly nasty fellow in the past who is trying to atone for some very treacherous things to done to very close people by way of helping refugees in and around Uldah. 

Okay so this might be a bit disorganized but I can't completely tell since I'm kinda almost drunk atm.

Refer to sig for my face as I wrote it. Hell I'm not even sure if Cultural discussion can be in this forum or the other one.

RE: Random character idea stewing in my head. - Kellach Woods - 01-01-2015

So what you're sayin' is you want to pull an Ouranos/Kronos?

RE: Random character idea stewing in my head. - Kurt S. - 01-01-2015

(01-01-2015, 12:05 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: So what you're sayin' is you want to pull an Ouranos/Kronos?
The first part yeah, minus the actual baby eating and more of feeding them to pet coeurls or something.

Aaand it'll also probably help me shape the NPCs in his life. I mean there's gotta be some sort of shape to give to the source of his trauma and salvation. That's what I think at least, even if the NPCs themselves don't get screentime.

RE: Random character idea stewing in my head. - Sounsyy - 01-01-2015

1-3: Pretty plausible and within lore bounds. Tias challenging Nunhs or Nunhs defeating Tia's isn't necessarily a "battle to the death" sort of thing, but if a Nunh gets bested by a lowly Tia, none of his women will be impressed by him anymore so they leave him for the Tia who is now Nunh.

I think a Nunh who is nearly bested by a Tia may take drastic measures to secure his breeding rights in the way you suggest for your backstory. However, if the Nunh kicks the Tias arse, I don't see the motivation for the Nunh to execute the entire family, simply because Nunh's expect to be challenged occasionally - it's part of their culture. If a Nunh was batshitcrazy enough to execute the family of any challenger who faced him for his entire life, 1. no one would ever challenge him, and 2. his female companions would probably all leave him.

4. Wildwood would probably be more common (as those are the Elezen who prefer to walk in sunlight) but a Duskwight is not out of the question because there are a few Duskwight NPCs in the city of Ul'dah. And yes, both Duskwight and Wildwood Elezen use the same "French" naming conventions, just with the caveat that Duskwight and Wildwood Elezen will never share a common surname. Taboo.

5. So Elezen culture, like real world, is very dependent upon where the Elezen is from. Ishgardian Elezen are different from Gridanian Elezen who are different from Sharlayan Elezen etc. Maybe figuring out the backstory or origin of your Elezen Mercenary will shed a little more light on how to base that character. Once you decide, I'd suggest talking to the Elezen NPCs in Gridania or Ishgard or wherever to see how they act and such.

I think the only thing the game suggests is a purely "Elezen" trait and not necessarily based on the society they were raised in, is the fact that Elezen are a very proud people. Big on family and status and whatnot.

Anyways, hope this helps! ^^

(01-01-2015, 12:26 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: 1-3: Pretty plausible and within lore bounds. Tias challenging Nunhs or Nunhs defeating Tia's isn't necessarily a "battle to the death" sort of thing, but if a Nunh gets bested by a lowly Tia, none of his women will be impressed by him anymore so they leave him for the Tia who is now Nunh.

I think a Nunh who is nearly bested by a Tia may take drastic measures to secure his breeding rights in the way you suggest for your backstory. However, if the Nunh kicks the Tias arse, I don't see the motivation for the Nunh to execute the entire family, simply because Nunh's expect to be challenged occasionally - it's part of their culture. If a Nunh was batshitcrazy enough to execute the family of any challenger who faced him for his entire life, 1. no one would ever challenge him, and 2. his female companions would probably all leave him.

4. Wildwood would probably be more common (as those are the Elezen who prefer to walk in sunlight) but a Duskwight is not out of the question because there are a few Duskwight NPCs in the city of Ul'dah. And yes, both Duskwight and Wildwood Elezen use the same "French" naming conventions, just with the caveat that Duskwight and Wildwood Elezen will never share a common surname. Taboo.

5. So Elezen culture, like real world, is very dependent upon where the Elezen is from. Ishgardian Elezen are different from Gridanian Elezen who are different from Sharlayan Elezen etc. Maybe figuring out the backstory or origin of your Elezen Mercenary will shed a little more light on how to base that character. Once you decide, I'd suggest talking to the Elezen NPCs in Gridania or Ishgard or wherever to see how they act and such.

I think the only thing the game suggests is a purely "Elezen" trait and not necessarily based on the society they were raised in, is the fact that Elezen are a very proud people. Big on family and status and whatnot.

Anyways, hope this helps! ^^

Yeah, I guess I forgot the whole close fight thing and just focused on the Tia being defeated. Receiving a few nasty cuts and wounds from an eagerly persistent Tia who didn't know how to stop or something along that line so it could be justified then. Not that anyone would know that the Nunh is feeding that specific line of siblings to whatever else is in the Sagolii. He'd take pains to keep it under wraps and all. 

Ah thanks for the ideas on the elezen front as well. Okay so all I just need to do is see if there's surname that's labelled "Amalle." Assuming that could even count as a frech sounding surname. Well the ex-merc won't be Ishgardian, they seem a bit too uptight and sort of like an isolationist and fanatical society from what I could remember in Coerthas which probably makes the racism worse. I'd try to peg it on Gridania seeing as its an adventuring hub but I think the Sharlayan side might warrant more investigation.

I'd welcome some more ideas and opinions and everything. Big Grin

RE: Random character idea stewing in my head. - C'kayah Polaali - 01-01-2015

1-3. It's plausible, sure. Seekers are varied enough in lore that there's sufficient wiggle room to make an "in my sept of the X tribe" case for anything. I suspect that in most tribes the Nunh would get taken out by the females in the tribe (this has been known to happen in earthly lion prides) - if for nothing else than putting his own well being over the well being of the tribe/sept. But I'd say go for it if you want to have a Miqo'te that's got aspects of Elezen culture. You wouldn't be the first.

4. Yep. French surnames all the way down.

5. See the above. I don't do those filthy Elezen. Wink

RE: Random character idea stewing in my head. - Kellach Woods - 01-01-2015

(01-01-2015, 12:26 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: 4. Wildwood would probably be more common (as those are the Elezen who prefer to walk in sunlight) but a Duskwight is not out of the question because there are a few Duskwight NPCs in the city of Ul'dah. And yes, both Duskwight and Wildwood Elezen use the same "French" naming conventions, just with the caveat that Duskwight and Wildwood Elezen will never share a common surname. Taboo.

Sorry for threadjack, but about that - is there a list of NPC last names for Wildwood/Duskwights?

'cause, while I don't think I'll remake a Duskwight anytime soon, wouldn't I have egg on my face if I found out the last name I'd be using for ol' dusky is actually a Wildwood name.

Back to thread.

Keep in mind, there's several ways the Nuhn could disguise the practice :
1) Making it part of tribal rites of achieving adulthood. If, say, the Nuhn is a pugilist, sending out a child in the desert, alone and unarmed, to face off a sandworm, defeat it and haul the carcass back as proof (and not just a tooth), is very likely to kill the child... and even if he manages, the Nuhn could slip in the dead of night and execute the child.

2) Possibly have another line who have a bone to pick with that line and enlist their help in extinguishing it.

Plenty of other ways.

Alright thank you for all the input guys. I appreciate it a lot. I'm getting a better image of things now.