Hydaelyn Role-Players
Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? (/showthread.php?tid=9306)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Martiallais - 12-18-2014

My characters dip into both 'sides' of this really. I find them to be fun and allows for diversity and different situations/stories/etc between characters.

Zarek is, by and large, a scrappy guy who grew up in Ul'dah as a bouncer/collector for the Mirage. Through adventuring and other shenanigans he's been able to open up and use his Aether/chakra but I treat it like a 'special moment' sort of thing. It's far, far more common for him to fight with his hands, knives (hello rogue), or a stick (them lancer levels) and be a pretty great martial artist than a super powerful magic fighter, but still fairly 'normal'.

Tseh'to on the other hand is a staff/lance fighter who does use Aether, but I don't and won't consider him a dragoon IC even once I get to those levels. If anything it's prep/groundwork potentially for dark knight, as that's traditionally a class that mixes magic and melee.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Aduu Avagnar - 12-20-2014

Nako is most definately a normal mage with the exception that he has practical kbowledge of most forms of knowledge, (except black and white magic which he o ly has theoretical knowledge).

He will be picking up astrology or whatever theyre going to call it.

Quick edit for my other character Jeryn Stern.

He is moat definately not a bog standard mage. He is hero of light level of power, though I tend to use him in an npc deus ex machina role.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - K'nahli - 12-20-2014

(12-16-2014, 04:30 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(12-16-2014, 04:25 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: All classes have special abilities that could only be explained as using Aether. Gladiator is able to produce a magical barrier that causes them to take less damage (Ramparts, Sentinel) or are able to cause massive aetheric explosions from their swords (Rage of Halone, Circle of Scorn). Likewise Pugilist can do similar things with Arm of the Destroyer, and it's Pugilist who gets Fist of Earth and Fist of Wind, two abilities clearly fueled by Aether if for no other reason than their obvious showy and somewhat spell-like appearance.

The way I see it, Aether is just a tool of the Adventurer, as much a part of their training and skill as wielding a sword or a staff.

No one's surprised to see me posting this, I bet.

That's all arguably subjective, though. Gladiator is based around training with a sword and shield: Rampart and Sentinel could be waved away as tightening up your defenses to protect against specific attacks or dangers. The color burst effects on attacks could be video-game components of flashy attacks to make it interesting to look at. Fists of Wind and Earth could arguably be acknowledged as the beginnings of a fighter's chakra beginning to open in accordance with the Monk storyline. After all, we never see pugilist enemies using those stances.

Aether is a tool that not everyone is able to channel to the capacity as the MSQ Heroes. That's why aetheryte travel isn't readily available to everyone in the land, otherwise trade caravans would cease to exist.

I don't even need to post my opinion anymore because Warren, once again, did it for me. I don't take game skills literally as they appear; they are, after all, meant to be representations of something else more times than not as well as something to appeal to the "ooo, flashy skill" side of us when we actually play the game instead of roleplaying it.

I guess I sort of did anyways just now... but it didn't need to be dragged out at least!

In any case, none of my characters are job classes nor do any of them use magical/aether abilities.

K'nahli Yohko is a very, regular archer. Though young, she's talented since she has spent a long time dedicating her free time to training as the bow is her passion, but she won't be firing two arrows simultaneously at a target that isn't a massive creature where range and accuracy are not a concern.

Andre Winter isn't a "gladiator" as we know the term outside of the class name, but he uses a sword and shield and was training to join the Sultansworn one day as his father had hoped for him, he never got around to seeing that through though due to an unfortunate incident.

Alex Hawthorn is a mercenary whom wields a large axe. He's powerful and very talented but he doesn't use super amazing attacks, nor does he throw tomahawks or anything of the kind. I would like for him to be a sword wielder too on less-than-frequent occasions, so instead of making a new character come Heavenward, I may simply give the Dark Knight class to him since it seems rather fitting for a number of reasons.

Lulani Manani is a young and silly, little lalafel whom wields a sword and shield but is very inexperienced and clumsy. He is not much of a force to be reckoned with.

Tayo Thorne is more of an NPC character than anything, but he used to be a lancer in his day and worked as a mercenary before settling down to a simple life where he earns his coin through carpentry. Nothing special to his fighting style either.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Kou - 12-21-2014

I think K'washi is technically an ordinary rogue? He doesn't use aether because he was never taught how to use it properly. He may accidentally use it in life-or-death situations, but because he just doesn't know, he... well. Doesn't.

Alex, on the other hand, is practically a pro. He's learned how to use aether since the day he was deemed old enough. He focuses more on protection than anything (Scholar bubble ftw), but if he's given a sword, he'll absolutely use the aether around him to conjure up some elemental help. >>

From my understanding, aether-use is a learned skill, with Adventurers simply being the most proficient it for obvious reasons (stronger, better, faster, smarter). I haven't really... found evidence to the contrary.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Aduu Avagnar - 12-21-2014

(12-21-2014, 01:50 AM)Kou Wrote: I think K'washi is technically an ordinary rogue? He doesn't use aether because he was never taught how to use it properly. He may accidentally use it in life-or-death situations, but because he just doesn't know, he... well. Doesn't.

Alex, on the other hand, is practically a pro. He's learned how to use aether since the day he was deemed old enough. He focuses more on protection than anything (Scholar bubble ftw), but if he's given a sword, he'll absolutely use the aether around him to conjure up some elemental help. >>

From my understanding, aether-use is a learned skill, with Adventurers simply being the most proficient it for obvious reasons (stronger, better, faster, smarter). I haven't really... found evidence to the contrary.
yes and no, the thaumaturgy story line has made it clear that there are those whose personal aether simply isn't strong enough to either get a result or they get a result but at great physical cost to themselves, up to and including death, despite how much they practice. As to the other two, there isn't really anything else that shows a negative, or inability to study it. Though I guess a natural predisposition to be able to gauge whether the elementals will help you with Conjury, and generally being smart (mathematically so) would be a prerequisite for Arcanima(sp?)

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Artigan - 12-21-2014

I role play a paraplegic Hyur, who wears only a loincloth, and wields a rusty butter knife.

People call him wheels. The ladies love his ride. His special ability is being underestimated.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Kou - 12-21-2014

(12-21-2014, 02:11 AM)Nako Wrote:
(12-21-2014, 01:50 AM)Kou Wrote: I think K'washi is technically an ordinary rogue? He doesn't use aether because he was never taught how to use it properly. He may accidentally use it in life-or-death situations, but because he just doesn't know, he... well. Doesn't.

yes and no, the thaumaturgy story line has made it clear that there are those whose personal aether simply isn't strong enough to either get a result or they get a result but at great physical cost to themselves, up to and including death, despite how much they practice. As to the other two, there isn't really anything else that shows a negative, or inability to study it. Though I guess a natural predisposition to be able to gauge whether the elementals will help you with Conjury, and generally being smart (mathematically so) would be a prerequisite for Arcanima(sp?)
Haha. Y'know, I just learned that through the Thaumaturge storyline. owo;;

But thank you for the additional information! I do love learning more about the FFXIV world.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - C'kayah Polaali - 12-23-2014

I almost think that watching how people respond to this is more interesting than the question itself.

But anyways! To answer: C'kayah is a conjurer ICly, but I'd put his IC level as somewhere around 2 or 3. He's simply never had the desire to stick with the training long enough to do anything with it. Instead, he sticks with his DoW "abilities", instead. He's a damn fine archer, courtesy of growing up in the hunter's ton in his tribe. He's fair with a sword - he's gotten better in the last few years, mainly at the insistence of an old lover. He also doesn't believe in fighting fair, so he uses poisons liberally.

His superpower, however, is his tongue. Once he started making connections with people and putting together organizations, he went from being a barely-making-it smuggler and thief to a fairly powerful crime figure.

(12-17-2014, 03:45 PM)Ludivine Goultard Wrote: Is being able to drink other people under the table a special ability though?

I like you! Big Grin