Hydaelyn Role-Players
Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? (/showthread.php?tid=9306)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Atoli - 12-16-2014

A'toli is very simply a pugilist, Sasahno is just a civilian so she doesn't even fight in the first place (at her most bad ass she'd probably start to throw things) and Aelita is just an arcanist. I hope for that to change in the future however, I'll have to read up on Scholar lore!

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Aeylis Bloodbinder - 12-16-2014

Aeylis chops wood.

thats her story and she's sticking to it.

mmhmm.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Seriphyn - 12-16-2014

Trying to note patterns. In discussions here, the flavour of player-characters who participate vary the further away from mundanity the topic is. As such, it's easy to get the impression all the more regular characters are mysteriously absent.

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Faye - 12-16-2014

I tend to enjoy role-playing mages and also gravitate toward healers in PvE. That being said, my main is a conjurer IC. However, my bard was nothing more than a girl who occasionally shot arrows (and like to sing, to herself, when no one else was potentially in hearing range), at least until I leveled SCH/SMN on her and decided to make her magic user IC since it suited the character well.

Aside from that, though they are alts I don't play much, my lancer is just a dude with a lance, my marauder cannot and will not ever be able to use aether or anything IC, and my pugilist is just a scrapper and I plan to unlock rogue on her as well (so she can be a scrapper who both stabs and punches things). My gladiator is the only character I've considered mixing magic and melee on, but I haven't leveled her much and I have yet to RP her or even give her a proper back story.

Sooo while I lean toward mages both OOC and IC... when I do play physical fighters, I tend to leave them... uhhh... physical. And on the topic of normal people, though I've yet to have the chance to RP her, my lalafell is a normal mundane civilian with no use of aether and no weapons.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - TheFanciestBard - 12-16-2014

I guess Tasa falls under that. Given the nature of warriors lore wise and ability wise I feel like RPing as the job or class is really just a matter of how you swing your axe.

It's my interpretation that those who consider themselves marauders are general rough and tumble, "I'll kill you before you kill me" kind of fighters that favor a big heavy axe for smashing and crashing.

Meanwhile warriors, from what I gather, are more disciplined and focused. They view it as something of a lifestyle, since it's my understanding that warriors emerged from a the Roegadyn Hellsguard tribes of the mountains I assume it's almost a cultural thing. Of course there's the element of that "inner beast" but such a thing is rather easily explainable and could be seen as a spiritual element more than anything else.

I suppose asking about the mundane members of the RPC will result in a mixed bag of ideas of what mundane really means. I think Tasa is pretty unexciting or not super special but other people may think the fact she's a hulking tower of muscle and steel is totally crazy!

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Steel Wolf - 12-16-2014

Steel's abilities with her axe are completely plain and have no aetheric ties whatsoever. Even the flashier attacks such as Overpower and Storm's Eye are more just animations without much stock taken in to the special effects tied to those attacks.

This is pretty easy with Warrior, since a great deal of the attacks are about a martial discipline controlling one's fury and power. Even the reference and ability of Inner Beast I read more as a technique than something that makes me glow or allows me to tick off other abilities that make me glow.

Despite the myriad colorful explosions that erupt with every strike, I see Steel's axe-work in my head-canon as pure martial maneuvers. Nothing more.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Berrod Armstrong - 12-16-2014

(12-16-2014, 05:59 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Trying to note patterns. In discussions here, the flavour of player-characters who participate vary the further away from mundanity the topic is. As such, it's easy to get the impression all the more regular characters are mysteriously absent.
That would really depend on your definition of 'regular' as it pertains to FFXIV. For example, my monk utilizes the ability to harden his fists and augment his strikes in combat. Yay happy monk magic time! 

However, if you ask anyone who has roleplayed with him, he's more or less a regular guy. 

The character's abilities or whether or not they use the aether, echo or a macbook don't really define them in that sense at all.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Roen - 12-16-2014

Roen does not qualify, but I will post about a character I know well to insert here! (the player does not visit the boards hardly ever)

Anden Anduron, one of the Brass Blade captains, is a gladiator with no aetheric abilities. He and his brothers come from a long line of proud gladiators. His ancestors were originally poor, then made their fortune in the Blood Sands, enough to raise the house to the ranks to the Monetarist nobles.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Whittledown - 12-16-2014

(12-16-2014, 06:28 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: Steel's abilities with her axe are completely plain and have no aetheric ties whatsoever. Even the flashier attacks such as Overpower and Storm's Eye are more just animations without much stock taken in to the special effects tied to those attacks.

This is pretty easy with Warrior, since a great deal of the attacks are about a martial discipline controlling one's fury and power. Even the reference and ability of Inner Beast I read more as a technique than something that makes me glow or allows me to tick off other abilities that make me glow.

Despite the myriad colorful explosions that erupt with every strike, I see Steel's axe-work in my head-canon as pure martial maneuvers. Nothing more.

Maudit is in the same camp as Steel Wolf here. She said it more concisely than I could too.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Hiro - 12-16-2014

Currently Hiro is in the NIN class in between a more suitable class that leans towards his originally intended Samurai roots. I was just fortunate that the Relic weapons are basically paired Katana which suit his background. ICly the only thing I'd utilize of the NIN abilities are the Thrown Knife and Huton abilities (otherwise really I just free form). Having no real abilities at the moment is working for him as he's in the transition of regaining his heritage (which was my excuse for having katana and not knowing what Samurai abilities will be like xD).

Ideally once Samurai pops out and is (hopefully) an actual Katana class I can move into that.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Enteris - 12-16-2014

Raandal was once Sultansworn and, as such, a paladin... but left the file a while back because reasons. So, he has the training of a paladin but doesn't really consider himself one anymore. So... jury's out on that ruling.

Otherwise, the majority of my characters are the classes, if even more than just a "civilian".

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Adeya - 12-16-2014

Adeya's just an arcanist (granted, one who dabbles a bit in thaumaturgy). I didn't want to have her start out as a job right away due to a mixture of wanting to work up to that sort of change and (at the time) not being entirely sure on her background.

Now I have been considering having her come across a scholar soulstone, as I feel like it might add something to her story (she's been doing research on Nym, so finding a fairy would be huge for her), but I keep going back and forth on it.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Jana - 12-16-2014

Jana isn't one of these characters, though she happily pretends to be one. Fighting with most hand-to-hand weapons and bows is something she's comfortable with (axes are too heavy for her, usually!), but her only IC-job is Summoner, a fact she tries to keep a secret.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Oli! - 12-16-2014

I have a miqo'te I rarely play (UGH cat people) that is a normal lancer. More of a staff-fighter ICly, really, because she draws a bit from Sun Wukong to begin with.

RE: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Ausboh - 12-16-2014

While I play a Pally for content purposes. Granis is a mercenary that uses a sword and shield.

His ethics would never allow him to train as a Paladin. Thus his abilities are mostly combat orientated and have no aetheric ties.