Hydaelyn Role-Players
Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? (/showthread.php?tid=9306)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Numbers check: Who HERE* roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Seriphyn - 12-16-2014

Topic title. Paladins are excluded by nature of the fact they are a Job, not a class. I'm curious as to how many characters there are exactly who RP an ordinary class with no special/aetheric abilities, especially disciples of war. Curious to know if there are Gladiators or "sword and board" folk who are NOT free paladins, and lancers who are not dragoons. Or general fighters who know multiple weapons (which I imagine to be a common thing if one has been a fighter for long enough).

The more mundane, the better!

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Ashren Dotharl - 12-16-2014

Are you asking if people play classes without any abilities other than the ability to use a weapon, or are you asking if anyone plays classes without the use of Job abilities?

All classes have special abilities that could only be explained as using Aether. Gladiator is able to produce a magical barrier that causes them to take less damage (Ramparts, Sentinel) or are able to cause massive aetheric explosions from their swords (Rage of Halone, Circle of Scorn). Likewise Pugilist can do similar things with Arm of the Destroyer, and it's Pugilist who gets Fist of Earth and Fist of Wind, two abilities clearly fueled by Aether if for no other reason than their obvious showy and somewhat spell-like appearance.

The way I see it, Aether is just a tool of the Adventurer, as much a part of their training and skill as wielding a sword or a staff.

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Gegenji - 12-16-2014

Chachan is training to become a Free Paladin, but right now I just run him as just a GLD, does that count? Actually, I like having him as one because he doesn't know Cure, but a "circle-circle-dot-dot" light version of Physick to deal with small aches and pains. Plus a couple of other cross-class abilities that I think match his personality well (i.e. Goad).

... He's also a smith, so the relevant crafting classes could work as well.

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Warren Castille - 12-16-2014

(12-16-2014, 04:25 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: All classes have special abilities that could only be explained as using Aether. Gladiator is able to produce a magical barrier that causes them to take less damage (Ramparts, Sentinel) or are able to cause massive aetheric explosions from their swords (Rage of Halone, Circle of Scorn). Likewise Pugilist can do similar things with Arm of the Destroyer, and it's Pugilist who gets Fist of Earth and Fist of Wind, two abilities clearly fueled by Aether if for no other reason than their obvious showy and somewhat spell-like appearance.

The way I see it, Aether is just a tool of the Adventurer, as much a part of their training and skill as wielding a sword or a staff.

No one's surprised to see me posting this, I bet.

That's all arguably subjective, though. Gladiator is based around training with a sword and shield: Rampart and Sentinel could be waved away as tightening up your defenses to protect against specific attacks or dangers. The color burst effects on attacks could be video-game components of flashy attacks to make it interesting to look at. Fists of Wind and Earth could arguably be acknowledged as the beginnings of a fighter's chakra beginning to open in accordance with the Monk storyline. After all, we never see pugilist enemies using those stances.

Aether is a tool that not everyone is able to channel to the capacity as the MSQ Heroes. That's why aetheryte travel isn't readily available to everyone in the land, otherwise trade caravans would cease to exist.

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Aaron - 12-16-2014

Aaron is a Rogue. Can't do that fancy mudra stuff.

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Flickering Ember - 12-16-2014

I don't roleplay a regular class. I don't roleplay Ember as being any class, actually. Rather, I decided a while ago what her skill set was based on her life experience:

-Usually depicted as a pugilist, but doesn't actually know any forms. She fights mostly bare-handed but relies more on wrestling and beating with overwhelming blunt force than making use of martial arts

-Uses a dagger with poison if she needs a killing blow. But she is not a rogue or a ninja.

-Knows how to and actively tracks down animals for hunts.

-Knows a simple fire spell (ability to create fire/a weak fireball) and no magic beyond that after being taught by a couple of friends. She is unskilled in magic but has a strong aetheric connection.

One of my only characters ever whose combat skills were built around the character, not the class. Probably for the best when any character can be every class.

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - ArmachiA - 12-16-2014

I just play an Archer who sings. I'm not a "Bard" the way the game has it set up. So no special abilities in her singing.

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Kellach Woods - 12-16-2014

(12-16-2014, 04:30 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: That's why aetheryte travel isn't readily available to everyone in the land, otherwise trade caravans would cease to exist.
yeah well when you can accurately use aetheryte travel to haul tonzes of goods, maybe.

I'm pretty sure that aetheryte travel is really just for actual people, and not mad amount of goods.

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Warren Castille - 12-16-2014

(12-16-2014, 04:39 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(12-16-2014, 04:30 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: That's why aetheryte travel isn't readily available to everyone in the land, otherwise trade caravans would cease to exist.
yeah well when you can accurately use aetheryte travel to haul tonzes of goods, maybe.

I'm pretty sure that aetheryte travel is really just for actual people, and not mad amount of goods.

We never really get a peek into the specifics of it, though. I know my character can haul more than a hundred suits of armor across timespace if I make that my inventory, so it's hard to say where gameplay ends and where "aether did it" canon begins. I'm 99% sure there's an explanation that most people lack the aether reserves to teleport though.

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Seriphyn - 12-16-2014

I'll be a bit more specific, then, and omit the use of the term "class". Forget about aether; take an individual, give him a weapon, and train them in use of that weapon for x number of years. Imagine that this character could exist in real-life, or any other fantasy universe.

From initial postings, seems to be more people than I thought!

(12-16-2014, 04:42 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: I'll be a bit more specific, then, and omit the use of the term "class". Forget about aether; take an individual, give him a weapon, and train them in use of that weapon for x number of years. Imagine that this character could exist in real-life, or any other fantasy universe.

From initial postings, seems to be more people than I thought!

If not for the "disallow Free Paladins" rule, this is Warren. His life started as a miner scraping by and eventually armored up as a result of RP way back in the earliest parts of 1.0.

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Berrod Armstrong - 12-16-2014

I play a simple axe-swingin' Roegadyn.

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Aris - 12-16-2014

Aris specializes with a lance and hand-to-hand combat, but doesn't use aether currently and is just a basic solider type of thing. Very mundane. The picture in my sig isn't remotely IC

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Telluride - 12-16-2014

Does it count if my character actually is a bard in the more traditional sense of the word - a musician/lyricist?

Nathan, IC, is not really the soldier type at all. He's good with a bow, as someone who grew up learning to use it to hunt for food and help defend his troupe, and he's handy in a fistfight, but I don't claim any special "magic" to his musical performances, nor do his MNK levels reflect any "chakras" or fantasy-fu other than his being a big guy who's been through his share of barfights.

When put next to those with full military training, he'd not consider himself on their level, nor does he really aspire to be.

RE: Numbers check: Who hear roleplays a regular class without any special abilities? - Verad - 12-16-2014

Yes, there are plenty of us. We're not particularly special, nor is it a marker of some unique status.