Hydaelyn Role-Players
New to RP and Balmung - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New to RP and Balmung (/showthread.php?tid=9282)

New to RP and Balmung - Garcia Wright - 12-14-2014

Hey, new guy here, not entirely to ARR, but new to Balmung. I'm looking for some people to hang out with and try some roleplaying, as well as people to play with on game progression., I think it would be much better than just grinding the game. 

--MMORPG background
Played some WoW, Maplestory and a couple other games.

--RP experience
Really new to the whole RP thing, last time I did some RP'ing I was on Gaia Online about 6 years or more ago. 

--Character ideas/info
I want to make a character focused on Disciple of War classes, with low affinity to magic, looking to learn fighting styles in order to protect Eorzea.

--How did you learn about the coalition?
I literally Googled FF ARR RP and I got this site as first result.

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?
I'm looking for a light-to-medium roleplay, might get into it more, I don't know.

--Anything from real life you'€™re comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)
I work on weekend mornings and weekday afternoons, so irregular playtimes are my thing.

I really have a good feeling about RP'ing based on what I've seen in the forums and the people I've seen on Balmung.

If you have any advice for me to get started on RP, please let me know.

Thanks! :D

RE: New to RP and Balmung - Steel Wolf - 12-14-2014

Hiya there! Welcome to the server and to the RPC! <3

Sounds like you're looking to dip your tippy-toes in to the RP scene in this game. I'd perhaps suggest you check out the Character Development forum to get a read and maybe float some ideas you have about your burgeoning character.

Additionally, you can peer at the Making Connections forum to see if you can find some fresh faces that suit your playstyle and your time slot...or failing that, put out a call of your own. Also, of course, there's any open RP you can find. There's no shortage of it on Balmung, I've found.

Anyone here is more than willing to help. :3 And if you're ever in the mood to talk to a towering Roelady, then feel free to give Steel Wolf a poke. I generally show up around 7pm EST so that's when you'll wanna search for me if you're interested (since this game is apparently running on tech that was the hotness in 1998 and won't allow you to search for people who aren't online).

Hope you have fun here and in-game. Big Grin

RE: New to RP and Balmung - Garcia Wright - 12-14-2014

Thanks for the welcome, I'll definately check out those links. :D

RE: New to RP and Balmung - TheBlob - 12-14-2014

Welcome!

Mm. I love new roleplayers! *squeezes for freshness!*

As Steel mentioned, everyone here is generally really friendly and eager to help out if you have questions of any variety.

I like to point out the Free Company and Linkshell list here. Finding a group you can run around with while you get your feet wet can help take some of the edge off of jumping headfirst into the community.

Have fun and don't hesitate to poke one of my toons if you see them wandering around in game.
Thumbsup

RE: New to RP and Balmung - LaPalatra - 12-15-2014

So I'm trying to get on Balmung as I know a couple of people there. However, it seems to be perpetually locked. I'm thinking about just eating the $18 fee to transfer but...how does anyone else manage to get on the server? On the weekends I've stayed up til 5 am AZ time with it still being locked, and during the weekdays I get up at 430 am to go to work and its is again still locked. Just looking for some guidance.

Thank you!

RE: New to RP and Balmung - Ludivine Goultard - 12-15-2014

Welcome! While trying to get on the server, why not take a peek around the forums and join in some RP on here?

It can be difficult to get on at times, but I hope you'll find it worth all the effort when you finally get in.

And always remember to have fun! Look forward to seeing you in game!

RE: New to RP and Balmung - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-15-2014

(12-15-2014, 03:15 PM)LaPalatra Wrote: So I'm trying to get on Balmung as I know a couple of people there. However, it seems to be perpetually locked. I'm thinking about just eating the $18 fee to transfer but...how does anyone else manage to get on the server? On the weekends I've stayed up til 5 am AZ time with it still being locked, and during the weekdays I get up at 430 am to go to work and its is again still locked. Just looking for some guidance.

Thank you!

Mostly what you've tried. Winter break for a lot of Highschools and Universities isn't helpign though. Balmung's very popular~

I find I have the most luck making characters around 2am-6am PST. Saving your character creation data first helps skim some time off.

RE: New to RP and Balmung - LaPalatra - 12-15-2014

(12-15-2014, 03:15 PM)LaPalatra Wrote: So I'm trying to get on Balmung as I know a couple of people there. However, it seems to be perpetually locked. I'm thinking about just eating the $18 fee to transfer but...how does anyone else manage to get on the server? On the weekends I've stayed up til 5 am AZ time with it still being locked, and during the weekdays I get up at 430 am to go to work and its is again still locked. Just looking for some guidance.

Thank you!

Oh man I totally have so many tabs open I thought I was in a different thread, I'm so sorry D:

RE: New to RP and Balmung - Faye - 12-16-2014

Hello there, welcome to Balmung and the RPC! Big Grin If you're looking for RP in game, the best place to go is the Adventurer's Guild in Ul'dah. Also, keep an eye on the RP events listed here on the site. And feel free to say hello if you see me around in game! I'm always happy to RP or help out with any questions.