Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Name Game - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Name Game (/showthread.php?tid=9070)

Pages: 1 2 3

The Name Game - Gegenji - 11-26-2014

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
- Juliet, Romeo and Juliet, Act II Scene II

With all the lore inherent to the names the various races of Eorzea, I find myself looking at people's names more and more as I wander around Balmung. Nunhs and Tias, daughers and sons of parents identified within their surname. And, even while I can't decipher Sea Wolf names through mere eyeballing, seeing someone with one oft makes me want to go see what it's supposed to mean.

Of course, there's the names that are more free-form and sometimes even silly - Provoke Me, the numerous Batmans, I've even joked about making a male Keeper at some point named Whyl'li Mi'qote who forever chases Chocobos (still thinking it!) - but especially on a server like Balmung, names have reason. Have history. I thought a discussion on that would be interesting.

I'm not so brash as to suggest such a thing without providing a little about my own characters, so I'll open with that.

Chachanji's name makes a little more sense when you compare it to his brother - the one I play on an non-RP server - Gogonji. I loved the musical approach to Lalafell naming schemes and thought to myself how I wanted to play with that. I was flitting through a random name generator and anxiously waiting the day that Name Changes became readily available, and came across "Gogomatsu" or something similar as a surname result.

Being the massive Final Fantasy nerd I am, I immediately thought of Gogo - the enemy in FFV and secret character of FFVI. The mimic and master of forms, who can do whatever anyone else can. How fitting for a character in a game where you literally can be everything - tank, healer, craftsman, gatherer. My little guy would be named Gogo-something Somethingelse-something.

As I was wont to do, I had already started making up the little guy's back-story in my mind - even though it was not an RP server and the idea hadn't even crossed my mind to look for one. I was already borrowing ideas from the older Final Fantasies with Gogo, so I started musing on what would be a good name for a master of everything. Master of arms and crafts. The latter got me thinking, thinking of a pretty famous armor set in the games - Genji armor.

With just that idea, a flood of back-story clarification came to mind. A Lalafell from the Far East, son to a smith who sought to make a name for himself and his wares. A conflict of ideals that lead to the boy venturing out into the world to carve his own path. And so, Gogonji Gegenji's identity was sealed, at least in spirit until I got his name officially changed.

And when I decided to come to Balmung, I figured using my already established "character" as a springboard would be a great idea. I mulled over all sorts of -njis before noting that "Go-Go" was a style of dance, which oddly fit with the musical naming conventions of the Lalafell. So I started thinking musically and finally thought of a Cha-Cha to counterpoint the Go-Go. Chachanji Gegenji.

Almost everything about Chachanji's family and their names was spurred from that simple renaming of my non-RP character to Gogonji to fit with the naming conventions I stumbled across on the official forums. Crazy, huh?

RE: The Name Game - FreelanceWizard - 11-26-2014

On the topic of names generally, one thing I discovered the other day is that the random name generator for miqo'te Seeker males will generate "Nunh" as a surname from time to time, despite the lore complications that result from that. I'm willing to bet many people with the Nunh surname don't know what it implies. (I still wince when I see it, though, even though I know I shouldn't. Blush )

L'yhta's name comes from two sources. One, when I came up with the basic character concept, the name "Lyta" popped into my head, but I wanted it to be compliant with the naming conventions. So, I manipulated it (added the aitch and the apostrophe) to make it work. Her surname, Mahre, was the result of playing around in the random name generator until I hit on a name that I liked.

Typically, there's not much more to it than that for my characters, whether PC or NPC. Smile I usually start with a normal name I like and that I think fits the character, then I modify it to make it work within the parameters of lore. Roegadyn are the only exception, as they have fairly particular naming conventions that require a bit more work.

RE: The Name Game - Warren Castille - 11-26-2014

I'm a firm believer than a name has to be right. It's not enough to be cool or clever. I like how you used multiple instances of thematic naming to put your characters together. The Gogo/Chacha stood out to me as did the mention of Genji, and I appreciated your use of the extra letters to not declare anything that might be off-lore later on.

RE: The Name Game - Steel Wolf - 11-26-2014

That was a lot of fun to read! Big Grin I wanna tell my story nao because people really care, right?

...right? <.<

So I was immediately drawn to Roegadyn for a couple of reasons--one, because they resembled my beloved Galka from XI, and two because the history and language of the race fascinated me. I love reading about different languages and cultures whose names are part of that, such as the Nordic people. The Roegadyn struck that same nerve.

Combining that fascination with a personal draw to Limsa Lominsa, I set to work researching the Roegadyn language and the naming conventions of the race. Steel came together as a half-Hellsguard half-Sea Wolf hybrid as a way to illustrate Limsa's multi-cultural port ambiance, and her being a yeoman of sorts just made her lock right in to place.

The full name for her, Sthalwilf Hamerstymmwyn, or Steel Wolf, daughter of Hammer Voice, pretty much wrote her initial backstory for her. Daughter of a smithy father and birthed by a piratess gave her so much Limsa-ness she's probably fit to pop.

The final challenge was how she fit in to the game's current story. I hadn't played 1.x an awful lot, so finding a reason for her to suddenly be all "Yo, I'm an adventurer now guys!" had to come to mind. Prior history of the world pretty much eluded me, and so I looked to Carteneau for inspiration. It was there that I decided that her being a bit of a recluse within the boundaries of La Noscea and a widow who lost her husband to that battle made the most logical sense lore-wise. It also gave her a sort of tragic wrinkle, and a reason for her to either live up to her husband's heroic example....or turn in to a wave of rage against Garlemald.

Right now, her internal narrative has her leaning towards the second option. Which, admittedly, is a lot of fun. Internally at least. Not really others finding that bit interesting though, I suppose...

Welp, there you have it. My thought processes, should anyone be remotely curious.

RE: The Name Game - Berrod Armstrong - 11-26-2014

When I was looking into Highlander names I saw a lot of names along the lines of 'Widargelt', 'Botulf', 'Meffrid' etc. It disappointed me a bit, because I wanted to import the name 'Berrod Armstrong' from my Warcraft warrior. I was very pleased to see that in addition to the names that I saw, it was possible to have names that indicated prowess and skill -- which fit the 'Armstrong' bill perfectly!

RE: The Name Game - Dogberry - 11-26-2014

Dogberry REAL name is Daghbheri Himalspyrsyn. He doesn't go by that name because I wanted to set Dogberry apart from other Roegadyn. I wanted to portray that disconnect, some of which is for reasons beyond his control, and some of which is intentional. Dogberry is simpler pronunciation of Daghbheri. He took the syn off of Himalspyrsyn as a way of declaring himself his own man. And yet, he's oddly reverent toward his family, he'll even proudly share the fact that Himalspyr is the name of a distant ancestor who legend says threw a spear so high it stuck into the sky. He has a soft spot for the Roegadyn language, and tribal Roegadyn customs. He braids his hair and is known for wearing tribal make-up when hunting. Still, on a personal level, he just doesn't feel all that comfortable around other Roegadyn. I gave him a name that stands apart because he stands apart, or at least feels that he does.

As for the meta, Dogberry is one of my favorite Shakespeare characters. It's a name I've used in Final Fantasies before when names come up. So I put the Roegadyn name to the name I wanted to give him. "Daghbheri" doesn't mean anything in the Roegadyn dictionary SE provided. It's a throwaway name in character and out. Himalspyr means "Heaven Spear", and I originally pictured Dogberry as becoming a dragoon. That's really not going to happen now that the character has progressed, but he's still a proud spearman.

There is one name, very personal to him, that if anyone uses, he'll get upset about. Dhemgeim used to call him "Hundrbera" when they were dating, and it felt more like his real name than Daghbheri. Of course, that all ended after the break-up, but Dhem's still a bit under his skin. When they do talk, he even gets angry when she uses it. This is kind of another aspect of Dogberry's personality. That which is sacred should never be talked about.

RE: The Name Game - Cassandra Lachance - 11-26-2014

There's no story to my name, I simply checked the naming conventions and tried to pick something that sounded like it suited the character I had in mind.

I wanted something that seemed appropriate for sort of an arrogant woman who takes herself too seriously. There could've been many choices, but I thought of "Cassandra". It doesn't exactly fit into Midlander naming conventions but I figured it wouldn't be too much of a stretch since it has for quite some time been used as an English name.

On the other hand, I also wanted a name that fit into her somewhat roguish nature. Nothing occurred to me until I thought of Lachance. I wasn't going to use it since it didn't at all adhere to Hyur naming conventions, but then I noticed that Elezen names were French, and I decided to keep it. I don't know if I'll come up with an IC story for it, but it's a possibility.

RE: The Name Game - Aaron - 11-26-2014

My name is 50/50 in creativity.

The first name Aaron is just my real name coz why not. I always use it and I like my name. 

The last one is the creative one. Ice has always been my favorite element and I wanted a character that projected that. White hair, white eyes and pale skin etc so I needed a name to gowwith it. I didn't want the names commonly used like Frost or Snow so I eventually came up using Glacier. 

Would have been Iceheart via name change but you know.  . . Shiva and all.

RE: The Name Game - Berrod Armstrong - 11-26-2014

(11-26-2014, 01:23 PM)Keyblade Wrote: My name is 50/50 in creativity.

The first name Aaron is just my real name coz why not. I always use it and I like my name. 

The last one is the creative one. Ice has always been my favorite element and I wanted a character that projected that. White hair, white eyes and pale skin etc so I needed a name to gowwith it. I didn't want the names commonly used like Frost or Snow so I eventually came up using Glacier. 

Would have been Iceheart via name change but you know.  . . Shiva and all.
I can just see Aaron Iceheart introducing himself and every Ishgardian in range eye-narrowing.

RE: The Name Game - Aaron - 11-26-2014

I know right? Then him running from every Ishgardian to the Benny hill theme.

RE: The Name Game - Aldotsk - 11-26-2014

Creativity is very important to me in terms of name. Anelia as a name is very original and it does not affect too much within midlander lore because midlanders actually have common names or even just original random names like Garlean or Ala Mhigan or Ishgardian. 

I didn't think Anelia Sadowyn as a name would be as original it can be, but I think my name is very fitting in FFXIV lore

RE: The Name Game - Aris - 11-26-2014

One of my favourite names that I've seen on Balmung is C'upa Tia. And they said it fits the naming convention. Makes me smile every time I see them. Big Grin

I just liked the sound of Aris' name and I wish I'd picked something different, but the Miqo'te naming convention is quite strict. The Roe Hellsguard and Highlander naming conventions are my favourites as it feels like you could put a bit more meaning into them.

RE: The Name Game - Miryn - 11-26-2014

Miryn is a name that just came to mind while thinking over RP things in the shower (best place for it, IMO). Same thing with her real name, Marnette. At least for that one I looked over the naming convention rules; I know elezen names are French-based but I have basically zero working knowledge of French. Her surname Lécuyer I took from a name website, meaning "shield-bearer", which fits Miryn's knightness to a T.

RE: The Name Game - TheLastCandle - 11-26-2014

Yvelont's first name came from the name generator after I decided I no longer wanted to be Teveriel Anduin, my Legacy character. Did a server-to-server dance (since it was long before Mogstation had name changes) used a Fantasia and never looked back.

Navarre, I'm not ashamed to admit, is a direct reference to a movie called Ladyhawke.

(11-26-2014, 02:37 PM)Aris Wrote: One of my favourite names that I've seen on Balmung is C'upa Tia. And they said it fits the naming convention.

Makes me smile every time I see them. Big Grin

I became a fan of C'upa Tia once I found out he was the one who kept killing those "NBO" bots in the Shroud via armies of Treants. Such a battle has not been seen since the Ents' march on Isengard. Every morning before his Ixali dailies. My hero.

RE: The Name Game - Iex - 11-26-2014

In the case of Grave Shadow... it stemmed from my GW2 Charr.

Originally, all my Charr characters in GW2 failed to follow the naming conventions... which honestly I did not mind TOO MUCH, but when I finally settled down on a character to get to 80 (it took way too long to pick a class.) I wanted the character to follow some sort of the scheme. So Iex Graveshadow was born.

When I came to FFXIV... I attempted to find a way to recreate the name, I went through about 5-6 different races and such from I'ex Tia to Iex Graveshadow. However, I ended up with a Hellguard with the name Grave Shadow and the nickname of Iex. Though I fantasiaed him into a Seawolf for a nice face, he is still a Hellguard.  

Apparently... the name Grave Shadow is more clever than I thought.