Hydaelyn Role-Players
Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) (/showthread.php?tid=9052)

Pages: 1 2

Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - T'shina - 11-25-2014

I just recently posted this on my tumblr as well.

For some time I’ve always had a fascination about the Seven Deadly Sins and the Seven Heavenly Virtues. But I had never thought to apply them to my character. Always a character can be attributed to a sin, usually as a weak point or something that does move their character in particular direction but we don’t often hear of the Virtues. So, I’ve developed a small exercise for others to look at and get to know their characters more when it comes to what Sin and/or Virtues they can represent. After all, we are not all Sinful and we are not all Virtuous. That’s what makes a character round!

Quote:Rating Scale:
1 - 10. 1 as complete Sin. 10 as complete Virtue. 4 near the middle, closer to the Sin. 5 near the middle closer to the Virtue.

Lust vs Chasity
Lust: To have an intense desire for something/someone. Usually depicted as sexual desire but can also be a desire for money, power, food, etc.
"Lust is a powerful psychological force producing intense wanting for an object, or circumstance fulfilling the emotion"
Chasity: To abstain from sexual behavior. To be the opposite from lust is to also abstain from the intense desires that one has.

Gluttony vs Temperance
Gluttony: The over indulgence of anything to the point of waste. Does not always pertain to food but is most common to food.
Temperance: To exercise restraint. Being mindful of those around you and of your surroundings and practicing self-control.
“Restraint, temperance, justice. Constant mindfulness of others and one’s surroundings; practicing self-control, abstention, moderation and deferred gratification. Prudence to judge between actions with regard to appropriate actions at a given time. Proper moderation between self-interest, versus public-interest, and against the rights and needs of others.”

Greed vs Charity
Greed: A sin much like lust and gluttony as a sin of excess. However, greed depicts the need for material possession in abundance.
Charity: Generosity, self sacrifice. However, it is also a reference to love, as love is unlimited loving kindness towards all others.

Sloth vs Diligence
Sloth: Described as both physical and spiritual laziness.
“Sloth has also been defined as a failure to do things that one should do. By this definition, evil exists when good men fail to act.”
Diligence: To have a work ethic and not be one to give up.
“A zealous and careful nature in one’s actions and work; decisive work ethic, steadfastness in belief, fortitude, and the capability of not giving up. Budgeting one’s time; monitoring one’s own activities to guard against laziness. Upholding one’s convictions at all times, especially when no one else is watching”

Wrath vs Patience
Wrath: Described as uncontrolled feelings of hatred and anger. Seen as self destructive and in its purest form violence.
“ Feelings of anger can manifest in different ways, including impatience, revenge, and self-destructive behavior, such as drug abuse or suicide.”
Patience: Going about to resolve conflicts peacefully. The ability to have the grace to forgive others transgressions.
“Creating a sense of peaceful stability and community rather than suffering, hostility, and antagonism.”

Envy vs Kindness
Envy: Much like lust it is a desire but in this case it is insatiable. It can be seen as jealousy as well as often it arises when someone else has something that you want.
“Envy is similar to jealousy in that they both feel discontent towards someone’s traits, status, abilities, or rewards. The difference is the envious also desire the entity and covet it.”
Kindness: ”Charity, compassion and friendship for its own sake. Empathy and trust without prejudice or resentment. Unselfish love and voluntary kindness without bias or spite. Having positive outlooks and cheerful demeanor; to inspire kindness in others.”

Pride vs Humility
Pride: Considered the original and most serious of sins and the source of all the others. It is considered to self centered and to believe oneself better than all others.
“It is identified as believing that one is essentially better than others, failing to acknowledge the accomplishments of others, and excessive admiration of the personal self.”
Humility: Modest behavior, thinking not less of oneself but thinking of yourself less in situations. 
“Reverence for those who have wisdom and those who selflessly teach in love. Giving credit where credit is due; not unfairly glorifying one’s own self. Being faithful to promises, no matter how big or small they may be. Refraining from despair and the ability to confront fear and uncertainty, or intimidation.”

Does your character lean more towards the Sins or the Virtues?

Which Sin does your character most emulate?

Which Virtue does your character most emulate?

Which of these Sins or Virtues do you and/or your character believe they need to work on the most?

RE: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - T'shina - 11-25-2014

T'shina Vashka

Rating Scale:
1 - 10. 1 as complete Sin. 10 as complete Virtue. 4 near the middle, closer to the Sin. 5 near the middle closer to the Virtue.
Lust vs Chasity
T’shina does not abstain from any form of desire but she doesn’t give into it either. Her own relationship with her mate is actually very sexual and started off so even though it has become so much more.

Gluttony vs Temperance
T’shina does not believe in having too much of something until it is necessary. (As in stocking up on food for the winter) She’s use to having very little and comfortable with having only what she needs and sometimes even less but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have items that she finds that she likes.

Greed vs Charity
Material possession is something that T’shina does not have nor does she care for. Most things she has are those that she’s worked for or made herself and often she wears these things until there is nothing left. She is also very mindful of loving those around her and also giving much of herself to others, the drawback being she only does this if she gains a certain level of trust for you but she has even been known to step forward when she feels someone is being wronged and she is passionate enough about it.

Sloth vs Diligence
Many will know that T’shina barely rests for anything and is working each day by hunting, scouting, or other things. To take a day of rest it often takes a lot to convince her to do so or she would grow ill from it. But many don’t know that she is very spiritually diligent as well. She gives her prayers to the Twelve often and when she was younger would often participate in the dances and songs to praise them. Even now she hides away from others and does such things, especially when she feels that the prayers need to be particularly strong at the time. T’shina is a firm believer in the Twelve and what they have gifted her and those around her, as well as the trails placed in front of her.

Wrath vs Patience
For T’shina she does not have much patience but has been exercising it greatly. But she does have a temper and when she is wronged she holds onto this. She has not been known to act on such feelings but she does hold a grudge which would bring her more towards the side of Wrath, rather than Patience. When she finds a dislike for someone, it doesn’t usually get resolved and the more an issue of distaste for her is pushed the more angry she gets and the more she will hold onto it even if the anger eventually becomes unwarranted, it will not be let go.

Envy vs Kindness
This one was a difficult one to discern but I can find her somewhere in the middle. She is not the type to go out of the way for others and she does feel jealousy towards others for what they possess however, it has never been a driving force. Thus, I feel she is perfectly in the middle when it comes to this particular case but should I choose which way she would lean towards, it would be Kindness. She has extended her hand to strangers before but due to quite a few times of having it refused she doesn’t do so as often.

Pride vs Humility
T’shina is quite aware of what she is good at and isn’t afraid to boast that she’s a very good shot with a bow. She never misses after all! But she is able to acknowledge skill in others and be able to recognize the accomplishments of others but that doesn’t stop her from acknowledging herself as well. She knows her weaknesses and her strengths. However, where as Humility also describes the ability to face her fears, uncertainties, and intimidation, she cannot. It is actually her greatest weakness and it has caused her great pain in the past and does so now. But over all, she leans more towards humility because while she takes pride in her own talents and rightly does so, she does acknowledge others and even encourages the skills that others have.

Virtues.

Wrath.

Diligence.

Which of these Sins or Virtues do you and/or your character believe they need to work on the most?
I think that her and I can both agree she needs to work more on her Humility and Pride. As it is a great state of conflict for the character. Her fears hinder her in this aspect making it her greatest flaw.

RE: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - Zhavi - 11-25-2014

Heh, why not? I'll bite.

Lust vs Chastity

Zhi just about always wants what she can't or shouldn't have. This is more general and less sexually.

Gluttony vs Temperance

As a drug addict and alcoholic . . . wellll. Zhi appreciates the material things in life, and she indulges in them as often as she can. The only reason it is not a 1 is because she does exercise temperance when it comes to jobs. Mostly.

Greed vs Charity

Yeah, Zhi is about as selfish as you can get while still needing to occasionally rely on other people.

Sloth vs Diligence

Zhi is diligent in all the wrong ways, namely looking out for number one: herself.

Wrath vs Patience

Zhi gets irritated pretty frequently, but she's not what I would consider an angry person. Surprisingly. Bad shit happens, she gets over it. Pausing to throw a temper tantrum is what usually gets her into trouble in the first place.

Envy vs Kindness

While I wouldn't say that she is necessarily covets things super strongly, she is even less kind. She's negative kind. So I took the one to put her further away from kindness. Overall, I'd say she's not really either, though. The things she wants she wants not because others have them, but because she wants them for herself. People are just means to an end. She scorns them, but it's rare indeed when she's envious of someone.

Pride vs Humility

The only reason she's not a 1 is because Zhi does acknowledge and understand that there are many who are better than she are. To not understand this would be to die on the streets. However, in contrast she has about zero humility in her in most things -- though I will say she doesn't tend to experience despair. When she does freak out, it's usually only very momentarily; she's quick to start looking for solutions rather than wallow in a problem.

Sins. Definitely sins.

Greed. Zhi is a selfish little doo-doo head.

Diligence. Say what you will about Zhi, she works hard. Not for any good reasons, but still!

Zhi doesn't really do the self help thing; she's not likely to realize she has any problems. From my perspective? She needs to work on everything. Seriously, she's a train wreck.

RE: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - Ludivine Goultard - 11-25-2014

This is a very fun idea! Writing something about Ludivine is a nice way to round out her character.

Rating Scale:

Lust vs Chasity
Ludivine's desires are almost non-existant. The only thing she loves is causing chaos, though she is smart enough to know how to manipulate things from the shadows and not make mistakes. Despite her egotistical nature, she has no interest in money or material goods, only happy when others are unhappy. Due to previous trauma in her life, she has no sexual interests.

Gluttony vs Temperance
Self-control isn't one of Ludivine's strong suits. She prefers making things as chaotic as possible, no matter the consequences to herself or others. Once she becomes angry or violent, it takes a lot to get her to back off, though she is smart enough to know when she is pushing her luck. 

Greed vs Charity
While not interested in material goods, she doesn't like making other people happy. If there is money involved, she will usually dispose of it, or taunt people with it though ways such as burning or dumping it in front of them.

Sloth vs Diligence
Though always on the lookout for ways to start trouble, Ludivine finds many things boring and not worth her time. It would be a rare sight for her to be seen helping others with her own interests not in mind, as her pride leads her to believe that everyone else's goals and plans are boring and simplistic. Despite her laziness, she is capable of complex plans if she feels them necessary to have more fun.

Wrath vs Patience
Brutal and scathing, Ludivine holds nothing back when her violent nature takes over. She considers nobody a friend, and everyone beneath her. Making her angry in any way only exacerbates this, though her attitude can shift between verbal abuse to physical violence depending on the situation; she knows when and how the most damage can be done.

Envy vs Kindness
Nothing drives Ludivine to anger like the sight of others being happy. Though not direct jealousy or envy, she believes joy and friendship to be boring, and will do anything she can to turn people against each other. She might never admit it, but her own past provokes her into wanting others to suffer like she did.

Pride vs Humility
Ludivine believes herself to be better and smarter than everyone else, thinking emotions like happiness and kindness to be immature and a show of weakness. Any effort she makes is done with reluctance, expecting things to be given to her on a silver platter. If anything, she is the immature one, often having violent tantrums when things don't go her way.

Sins, for sure.

Pride. Her mood swings and damaged mind makes her lose focus at times, believing nobody else can understand or be better than her. She can often fail to take people seriously until she realises she has her back against a wall.

Chastity. Sexual interests are nothing to Ludivine.

Kindness. Ludivine sometimes works with others for a common goal, and can be tolerant towards people who put up with her insanity and chaos, not that she ever understands why somebody would... 

RE: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - Cassandra Lachance - 11-25-2014

Thanks for your post T'shina.

I, as well as my character, would likely question the validity of categorizing a person based on such an arbitrary system, but it does help me develop my character since I haven't done much RP yet.

Lust vs Chastity: 3 or 5.
Can't help but to point out the inconsistency of this particular comparison, seeing as chastity applies exclusively to sex, whereas that is only one aspect of lust. Hence the two ratings:

Lust in general: 3
She does lust after power, since she values self-reliance and understands that she needs to be stronger. She's not willing to disregard her principles to acquire power though, which is why the rating isn't lower.

Sexual lust: 5
This is sort of hard to pinpoint because on the one hand, she has no moral compulsion to be chaste, but she doesn't really pursue sexual relationships either.

Gluttony vs Temperance: 8
She has a great deal of self-control. The only thing she occasionally indulges on that has little benefit for her is drinking. While far from an alcoholic, she does at times drink far more than would be advisable.

Greed vs Charity: 5
She's not used to sharing, and as such her first instinct is to think of herself. She does generally end up being generous towards others though, even if she sometimes makes it seem as though she does it reluctantly.

Sloth vs Diligence: 9
She's quite determined and she works hard to get what she wants, sometimes at the expense of her health.

Wrath vs Patience: 3
If asked, she would probably say that she was patient. In her mind, her attitude towards others, even if at times harsh, is a tremendous exercise in restraint. In truth, she's often unfriendly, unpleasant and quick to judge people.

Envy vs Kindness: 7
Again, this comparison doesn't entirely make sense to me. But I won't dwell on it. Let's just say that she's not prone to jealousy, she assumes that the success of others is a result of their work, and her own insuccesses are her fault alone. She tries to become stronger, better than others, but not out of envy.

Pride vs Humility: 3
She's mostly objective when it comes to her qualities and flaws. But she does tend to have a superiority complex.

Mathematically, I imagine it's about even. I would say that that's about right. There are significant positive and negative influences within her.

Probably pride. Even if that's not her intention, she often acts as though she's superior. This is particularly true with strangers.

Diligence. Again, this is far too simplistic a system, because (for example) diligence can easily become obsession. But I'm trying to keep it simple.

I would say she needs to work on being kinder or more charitable, since I believe everything else tends to follow suit. She would probably say that her personality is what it is and others just have to deal with it.

I hope you don't take my comments on the system personally T'shina. It was quite fun to think about regardless, and I appreciate you suggesting this.

RE: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - Shizuka - 11-25-2014

Rating Scale:

Lust vs Chasity
Probably about a 3. Lalah's got a pretty strong lust-on for her mate, J'inwa. He knows how to get her motor going just about anywhere.

Gluttony vs Temperance
This one is more along the lines of a 7. While Lalah likes to indulge, particularly in food, she's also very good at moderation and self control.

Greed vs Charity
I think around 7 again. It likely varies a bit depending on mood, and she's more likely to be charitable if she deems you deserving of said charity. That being said, she also likes shiny things quite a bit.

Sloth vs Diligence
This is totally like a 9. Lalah works hard, and she works often. To the point, really, where it's somewhat unhealthy for her as she tends to neglect her own needs in favor of getting the job done.

Wrath vs Patience
Another high one for her, around 8. Her patience varies on a case-to-case basis, but she tends to have extreme amounts for people she really should not put up with. When her wrath is triggered, it burns hot and fast, doing a lot of damage before she calms down soon after. Her wrath does not last long.

Envy vs Kindness
9 without a question. Lalah is her crew's 'mother'; she takes care of everyone and is rather self-sacrificing. The only time she gets particularly jealous is when she sees another female eyeing J'inwa, or J'inwa looking at another female.

Pride vs Humility
4 on this one, I think. While she doesn't have a ton of things she feels she ought to be proud of, she IS still a rather proud individual.

Virtues

Lust

Kindness

Patience. She needs less of it when it comes to people who are detrimental to her mental state.

RE: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - Gegenji - 11-25-2014

I've always been interested in the Vices and Virtues myself from a literary standpoint. So, by extension, I must take a crack at this!

Lust vs Chasity
Oddly enough, I think I'd have to give Chachan about a 3 or even a 2 here. Not a sexual lust, but his burning desire to be a hero. He wants it, he wants it bad, and has often gotten upset at people who question his methods on approaching it. It's only his own desire to actually do honest good that helps steer him in the proper "heroic" direction.

Gluttony vs Temperance
I'd say about a 4 or possibly 5 here. Chachan is a glutton for excitement, loves to run around, and tends to not think things through beforehand. Yet, while he's spontaneous and energetic, he does his best to be mindful of others and is all about justice and the needs of others. He's not too far one way over the other, so it becomes a matter if trying to figure which one has the edge over the other.

Greed vs Charity
Now we're getting into Chachan's virtues - 8 or 9. Chachan honestly wants to help people, spending most of his day running menial errands for the people of Ul'dah. After Roen showed him the people starving outside the walls, he's begun buying extra jerky and such to hand out there when he goes on his afternoon runs with Gran. What Chachan wants for himself is more intangible than tangible, so it's hard to call him greedy; yet he still has his fair share of "wannas."

Sloth vs Diligence
If there's one constant about Chachan, it's his never-say-die spirit. Really, the only thing that keeps me from giving him a full ten here is the mentions of "careful nature" and "budgeting one's time," neither of which the little Lalafell really does. As such, I put him on about the same range as the last one: 8 or 9.

Wrath vs Patience
Considering what I've been saying about Chachan, it might be odd to be able to describe him as "patient." However, on this scale - with patience to mean peaceful resolution and forgiveness - the little ball of energy is pretty much on the more virtuous side. However, he does dream of beating up dragons and badguys and such, so there's still some Wrath in there I'm sure. 7 or 8.

Envy vs Kindness
10. This is literally what Chachan is about. He wants to help people, he does it without expecting anything in return beyond it being "the heroic thing to do." He is almost always unwaveringly positive (though not 100%, he still has his sadder moments, as one is wont to do), and there seems to be a theme going on in his RPs of him reminding other characters of their younger, happier days.

Pride vs Humility
This one was a toughie. While Chachan defers to others' wisdom and knowledge, sticks to his promises, and tries to confront his fears, there's also the overlying theme that he believe he will be a hero. It's both a goal and a certainty at the same time in his little mind. His fears, it should be noted, are often confronted because he feels that it's not how a hero should be and he should obviously be above them. It makes placing him on this range difficult, and I'm left with a nebulous (and extended) range of 3 to 5.

Just looking at the numbers, I'd have to say Virtues. Only one Sin is actually relatively predominant, while the rest are either middling or barely there at all. Considering he's trying to be a hero, I think that's a good thing.

It seems odd to say it, considering the common definition of the term and his young age, but it would most likely have to be Lust.

Kindness, hands down. Chachan's all about the halpan.

Just looking at the answers I've put, Chachan definitely needs to work on his pride and his "wannas." Whether that's just because he's a spoiled youngster, or something more deeply inherent in him is yet to be seen, though. He's going to have to grow up sometime, whether he wants to or not.

RE: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - Stormwind - 11-25-2014

Lust vs Chasity
Alexander has an insatiable lust for power. Personal, aetherial, mental, social, you name it. While his sexual drive is completely non-existent, he always wants and craves more power.

Gluttony vs Temperance
With age comes wisdom, and the wisdom to know when to hold back. Alexander knows that only those with control can hold the power he wants. He willing to hold back long enough to obtain his goals before he lets loose.

Greed vs Charity
Alexander isn't a greedy man, not from a material standpoint nor is he a charitable one either. He is a man of means and has little need for more material wealth, but it doesn't stop him from making sure his wealth does not diminish.

Sloth vs Diligence
Alexander will not give up his ambition, likely to the point that it will kill him. He can be up countless hours, even days working on a problem or aetherical mystery, barely stopping to sleep or eat.

Wrath vs Patience
A bomb waiting to go off, often kept in check by his own temperance. Alexander often bottles his anger up, focusing on his work to ignore whatever may be bothering him. when he does lash out though, it is often with yelling and fire.

Envy vs Kindness
Alexander isn't an unkind person, but often he simply doesn't care enough about those around him to show it. He took a Roegydyn refugee boy he found as an adopted "son", and houses two other refugees, both of whom he regards as family (even if he won't openly admit it).

Pride vs Humility
This is the kicker. Alexander is a proud man. Proud to a fault. Pride in his personal history, pride in his power and his accomplishments. Hurting Alexanders pride is the quickest way to goad him into a confrontation, and that pride combined with his lust for power is a recipe for disaster.

Sins

Pride

Diligence.

Humility. Alexanders' pride and ambition are likely to be the death of him if he does not
get them under control.

RE: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - Steel Wolf - 11-25-2014

I'm also not a fan of paring down a character to simple whole numbers, so I reserve the right to bookend this post by saying these values are subject to flux and change depending on how character progression and roleplay moves.

That all said...this is a very fun thought exercise and good to mull over and outline my character's "roundness". Which sounds a bit like I'm checking out her butt, now that I'm reading that... <.<;

Ahem. Here we go.

Lust vs Chasity: 2
Steel has been widowed for about six years now, and the wants of a woman are very prevalent in her right now. That said, it's not the singular driving force of her character or by any means all that she devotes her thoughts to. She misses her husband dearly, and many nights alone have reminded her the value of physical contact.

Gluttony vs Temperance: 3
Steel doesn't live her life in long spans of indulgence at all times, but when one works hard one also plays hard, and she will enjoy herself to the fullest...or at least whatever her coinpurse will allow. To that point, she's hardly drowning in gil and so knows when to be a spendthrift.

Greed vs Charity: 7
While Steel is very much about self-preservation and personal subsistence, she will be one of the first to aid someone where and how she can, generally using strength-at-arms or her loud mouth to divert attention to herself. Hardly selfless, but she also recognizes her personal strength and knows how to brandish it to help people.

Sloth vs Diligence: 8
Steel has been a hard worker her entire life, and though she has been prone to despair or malaise on occasion, she still puts her entire effort into nearly every endeavor. She doesn't often know when she's in over her head or if something is outside of her skillset...but that won't be for lack of attempting.

Wrath vs Patience: 1
Steel has been in a state of inner seething after an incident at the Lichyard that has ignited her drive. The pain of loss and the disgust and rage at those who perpetuate the ills of the realm have pushed her onward, seeing her lash out against the Castrums still in the land or lending extra brutality to the leves she undertakes. Training with the Marauder's Guild and use of a greataxe have only fueled this fire.

Envy vs Kindness: 8
Steel is prone to snap judgments, and if she sees one raising a weapon she will intercede and match force with force before asking questions...but she still offers a ready smile to anyone who approaches, and even a smirk at those who would approach her with a level of braggadocio or sourness, tending to be unimpressed with such attitudes. She's a Lominsan. She's used to people trying to act tough to all within earshot. She's heard it aaaaaall before.

Pride vs Humility: 4
Steel always tends to speak about her virtues, be they physical or otherwise, but she often does this with a playful smile and not a great level of seriousness. She's not lacking in self-confidence. She will, however, bow her head in acknowledgement of strength that meets or exceeds her own, taking the knowledge that people that exceed her own power exist as a challenge to be met. Incidentally, she holds a particular sense of awe for those gifted in the use of magic and the healing arts--skills that generally defy her ability.

On a score of 4-3, sins. Just barely so.

In general? Pride. She approaches and carries herself with the typical swagger that's inherent of all Roegadyn...or all Lominsans. That said, she doesn't burst through a wall like the Kool-Aid Man and hopes to be approachable with her demeanor.

Diligence. Some would call it "stubborn", but Steel is a very hard worker and tosses herself in to the fire of every task set before her...often without really thinking it through or reading the manual.

Wrath. Steel carries the weight of her husband's death in her heart constantly, and has been using it as a reason to unfurl her rage. She's not on a path of self-destruction, but the darkness in her heart could possibly consume her and make her lose sight of what's important.

RE: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - Sounsyy - 11-25-2014

Lust vs Chastity: 7
Sounsyy has only allowed herself to have one romantic relationship. Since that one teenage tryst, which ended pretty tragically, she's been willfully chaste, fearing unreasonably that allowing another in romantically may spell their doom.

Gluttony vs Temperance: 8
Sounsyy rarely consumes in excess or over-indulges herself. She's much too masochistic for that. She is calculating when it comes to her needs, never taking more than the next man, insisting that her people (Ala Mhigans) live on much less and she would suffer with them so long as their plight continues.

Greed vs Charity: 4
This is kind of a strange one for Sounsyy. She's not really greedy in the sense of material wants, but Greedy in the sense that she believes she and her people have been wronged and deserve recompense. She would see her nation rise from the ashes and reclaim its former glory and more - claiming also the nations who denied them and exploited their plight. She rarely gives what is hers, enough has been taken from her.

Sloth vs Diligence: 10
Sounsyy is 100% diligent, to the point of fault. The girl keeps pushing through all the adversity I shovel at her, bless her, it'd be so much easier for her if she just gave up and stayed gave up.

Wrath vs Patience: 2
Like the sea she's so in love with, her moods are unpredictable and ever changing. Woe be to any who sail with her unprepared.

Envy vs Kindness: 4
She is envious in the sense that she feels deeply wronged by the Garlean Empire and by Ul'dah, and wants what they've taken from her. She is envious that these nations persist and succeed and roll in their wealth while her people suffer. On the flipside, she works very hard to be kind to those not culpable for her problems. Which is often times difficult, because she considers most people culpable by their inaction.

Pride vs Humility: 7
In her youth, she was far more prideful, but after becoming a Storm Captain, the daily struggles of leading a Levy humbled her greatly. She quickly realized she could not stand against the Garleans alone and that only together could they overcome. Her pride was further dashed when her Levy was slaughtered by the Garleans.

Sounsyy leans more towards Virtues, however, mostly in ways that are not all-together healthy.

Either Envy or Wrath. Sometimes they kind of blend together or stem from one another.

Most definitely Diligence. Sounsyy's a trooper.

I think ICly Sounsyy doesn't think about these kinds of things. She barely takes care of herself, let alone thinks of self improvement. But OOCly, I look forward to her character growth as she deals with holding people responsible for Ala Mhigo's fall.

RE: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - Eva - 11-25-2014

Show Content

Lust vs. Chasity: 2
Easily the lowest of Eva's scores, but not something she would inherantly consider 'wrong', she has not had many romantic partners.  She is exceedingly slow to fall in love, but once she does she gives over to baser desires and has a voracious sexual appetite almost unbefitting the rest of her character traits.  This said she is content being unattached for lengths of time.  When in a relationship she is driven by a strong sense of devotion in a monogamistic relationship and the focus of her lust will nearly always be an individual who has taken a considerable (exorbitant?) amount of time to prove to her that her affections are being firmly reciprocated (pun was not originally intended XD).  In short, her sense of lust is there and often reined in by careful discipline.  It would take some extreme circumstances for her to act on such impulses without a well-cemented foundation of a relationship underlying the encounter.  Her upbringing was such that infidelity was viewed as the greatest of sins and she grew up in observation of its consequences.  So few will ever see this side of her.

Gluttony vs Temperance: 9
Gluttony is one of the more dynamic of these ratings for Eva's character.  She grew up under circumstances where she was around well-cooked food often, the daughter of a knight-turned-chef.  From the age of 8 or so after moving to Gridania and growing up somewhat ostracized as duskwight living in Gridania - a primarily wildwood culture - her insecurities manifested themselves and she ate herself into obesity over the next several years.  It wasn't until her mid-20's that she began to learn other ways of coping with her problems and found more happiness in her life.  Since that time she has lost a good deal of weight and is much more cognizent of her sense of self-control.  She now eats very small portions and seldom ever overindulges.  I didn't give her a 10 outright because she does still have a strong fondness for tea, and considers chocolate to be her weak point and will occasionally give in despite her self-interest.

Greed vs Charity: 10
Eva has never been greedy.  She grew up with that which she needed and was taught to be grateful for it.  The victim of the Calamity she has lost most of her belongings and simply didn't care.  Her values are the people close to her and her friendships.  She gives most of her time and gil to others and only keeps what she absolutely needs for herself and her babies, at times lamenting that she wishes she had more time and money to give.

Sloth vs Diligence: 9
As with Gluttony/Temperance, this was dynamic of Eva's character and her score would have been much lower when she was younger.  Now in her mid-30's she realizes the importance of leading a somewhat kinetic lifestyle only after spending most of her 20's with her nose buried in books.  She is an avid swimmer, runs during the colder months, and trains regularly now.  She still feels that book knowledge is good, but has come to learn - perhaps later in life than most would-be adventurers - that going out into the world and experiencing life for herself is even more important.

Wrath vs Patience: 9
Eva is a paragon of patience - to the point of sometimes seeming to be a bit of a pushover in certain ways.  There are reasons that I am not going to get into in this post why she is extremely slow to anger.  This is not to say that she does not get annoyed or bothered by certain things, but in the three or more years we have been RPing her, she has only reached what could be considered true 'anger' on one occasion - and it wasn't pretty.  She is also a new mother though, which almost certainly brings with it a slew of opportunities for anger.  I did not give her a 10 because she does feel irritation or annoyance sometimes with certain people or in certain types of situations, though is usually good about veiling this.

Envy vs Kindness: 10
I don't think Eva is capable of feeling jealousy.  As a fatalist she believes things are as they are for a reason and derives solace from this.  She is not one to covet possessions, status, wealth, power, or anything else.  She shows kindness to all, with only a limited amount of caution, until someone gives her a reason not to.  And even then she has shown kindness in the past to those who do not like her for various reasons.  It is just her way.

Pride vs Humility: 7
This was a tough one to rate because I can see instances where she can fall at both ends of the spectrum.  Eva generally abhors arrogance and vanity in people.  She is also recently aware of her own self-image and how she sometimes appears to others and inwardly may feel some sense of pride at how she overcame some difficulties in her life, lost a lot of weight, and while the stares of men (and I suppose some women) made her feel awkward she has grown more accepting of it in recent times.  In deed and in word she is modest, dresses conservatively (unless there is some tactical reason to flaunt curves - hardly ever), is considerate to everyone, and truly feels she is no greater than anyone else.

Eva by and far leans a lot more towards the virtues than the sins.  She is a priestess, counselor, caregiver, and is aware that her role in life is one that is more selfless.  She is a listener and as a RPer she is very much more reactive than proactive.

I don't think any of the given sins are really vast portrayed in RP.  Lust was given the highest rating, however this is not a trait that plays out publicly.  And even then I'm not she sure objectifies her mate, nor sees her impulses as being something she's unable or unwilling to control.

Kindness and Charity are probably both the virtues that are emulated.  She gives of herself to her family, friends, people in need, strangers.  She does this for no ulterior reason nor to make herself feel good.  She truly views herself an instrument of the Twelve and wants to help make Eorzea better, even if only in small words and small deeds.

I think changing any of them too much would feel wrong.  It has been awkward as Eva's lost more weight and grown more 'attractive' (I'm using this term loosely because social conventions, etc.  I am fully aware that not everyone finds hourglass figures and huge boobies to be attractive) because her self-awareness has increased.  She spent most of her life being a wallflower and not wanting to be noticed and now she's being gawped at and the progression has been slow and natural but it's still a much different thing than it was 3 years ago before Dalamud and all that back when she was still kind of pudgy.  The character herself, if asked, would probably say she needs to work on charity more, and give more back.  She is constantly looking for ways to improve things for the people around her - particularly her babies and her "babies" - those friends and acquaintances she cares about, even the ones who can be a bit stubborn or resistant to her way of showing her motherly affections.

RE: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - Oscare - 11-25-2014

Lust vs Chasity
2. Oscare is very excellent at restraining and even better at hiding it, byt it's definitely there. He wants what he can't have most of the time, too.

Gluttony vs Temperance
More on the 4 side. He's a hunter, he HAS to be resourceful. He can be a little lenient if the situation allows for it.

Greed vs Charity
More on the 8 side. He gives up pretty much anything except two things in particular. Things stopped holding sentimental value to him, and hr doesn't even accept pay at his jobs anymore in his own pursuits of interest.

Sloth vs Diligence 
9. Oscare is determined and HATES slackers.

Wrath vs Patience 
1. This hunter is basically anti-humanity, sacrificing his own relationships and closeness in order to harm. He's hatred in a can.

Envy vs Kindness
5. Oscare is okay with being nice, and he's okay with being jealous of other's closeness. He doesn't care in the end anyway.

Pride vs Humility 
I think I kind of had to put Oscare on a 5 here too, because he's a mix of both in my eyes. He's got the humility to see things from all kinds of points of views and he KNOWS there's a good chance someone can match him in marksmanship, but at the same time, he boasts to be one of the best and takes utmost pride in everything he does. He sees himself as being better than everyone, though he's smart enough to not boast to that degree. He has the power to do anything if he wanted to.

Does your character leans towards Sins or Virtues?
The good thing about playing a sociopathic-esque character is that no one really knows. He exudes this sense of kindness, enough to allure someone into thinking that he's at least half a decent human being. But the whole time he's probably scheming about shooting your brains out. In other words, he's a good mix. Doesn't really lean on one over the other.

Which sin does your character most emulate?
Definitely wrath. He's got a 'vendetta to carry'.

Which virtue does your character most emulate?
Probably diligence. He's a hard worker, at the very least.

Probably lust! He's not particularly interested in people, so he thinks he should stop being attracted to some of them.

RE: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - Rorojayu - 11-25-2014

Lust vs Chastity
Maybe a little on the side of chastity, if only because his desires don't have such a lustful level of intensity. Still, he doesn't abstain from things for abstinence's sake.

Gluttony vs Temperance
With regards to himself, temperance in some areas (living in a simple inn room) to allow himself gluttony in others (buying clothes, mainly). But his lack of self-awareness generally doesn't extend to satisfying himself at the expense of others.

Greed vs Charity
Probably leaning towards greed. He loves clothes. Other belongings don't mean much to him, but he can't go to the market without finding something new he wants to try on. The only remarkable aspect of his room, even though he's rented it for over a year, is that Mother Miounne gave him a couple of old extra wardrobes from the basements so he'd have enough space for everything. But he's not without charity, he's as much of a sucker as the WoL as far as accepting crappy jobs with no payment go.

Sloth vs Diligence
Though he works enough to support himself and doesn't let others down when his work involves them, he's more of a sloth type, happy to spend entire days doing nothing or close to it.

Wrath vs Patience
Much more on the side of patience. He's capable of anger, and has to be capable of violence for much of the work he's offered, but for the most part he's unlikely to be angry with others, no matter how they treat him.

Envy vs Kindness
He would never steal someone's clothes! He's an adventurer, not a treasure hunter.

Pride vs Humility
Definitely humility. He's proud of the things he's good at, even if they usually aren't things other people understand him having pride in, but people he seriously considers himself better than have got to be total scumbags.

Virtues, really. Even the ones he's sinnier on aren't that bad.

Greed or sloth.

Patience.

Roro: Has easily lost track of the first few sins by the time you get to the last one, and can't give any particularly good answers anyway.
Me: I don't want to say he's too patient, but it's the one that could most easily become an issue for him. (My sin is not being able to answer these with numerical values at all...)

RE: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - Salinas - 11-26-2014

I'm not ready for these kinds of questions yet! But alas, I was recommended to do it. Pretty sure I have a steady grip on Caelia... so answering these shouldn't be too much of a problem for my brain, hopefully.

Lust vs Chasity - 8? 5?
In terms for a sexual desire, there's a joke how Caelia is a big prude. Has no sexual drive whatsoever until she met a certain someone.. but it hasn't changed too much. She still finds the thought of intercourse a sacred act between lovers and only doing it for recreational purposes is still a hard thought to process. Still does it anyways since it keeps someone happy.

.. But if you're going to a more general outlook. I'm kind of on the fence. There's not much on an intense desire for much things. Unless, her strong desire to be of use to someone. To have a sense of belonging or purpose. Could it apply to being lustful? Hm.

Gluttony vs Temperance - 8
She's gives more than she takes. Only indulging when it comes to sweets and simple things. Before she lived with Noxaelius, she hardly had any gil to spend for herself. Only using it for emergencies like keeping food in her stomach or having a roof over her head for the night. Even when she's living a life in luxury now, it's still difficult for her to buy things she's been wanting with her own earnings or Noxaelius' gil.

Greed vs Charity - 10
Caelia doesn't expect anything in return when she does a favor for anyone. She is willing to help when the time calls for it or not. It's gotten to the point where she will offer herself in situations that are bigger what she can take on. Very generous, this girl.

Sloth vs Diligence - 10
Have you ever seen Caelia lazing around? The only time she's taking things at a leisurely pace is when the chores are finished, taking a study break, or is hanging around with others. She likes it when there is something to do. Keeping her hands busy. There was one point where she ended up cleaning the lounge of her former apartment complex because she noticed the bookshelves were filthy with dust. Her work ethic is something she's proud of... but I guess that's due to living on a ranch, huh?

Wrath vs Patience - 10 or 5?
Patience of a rock when it comes to many things. She's been living with the most difficult man she's ever met for months now. Actually, that 10 can drop to a 5 really fast if she's aggravated. Her anger isn't too bad since she acts like a snarky spoiled brat more than anything. Only a few had seen her truly angry but it isn't as bad compared to what she's seen in others. Also known to be a bit of a doormat and/or pushover.

Envy vs Kindness - 7
Have... you... ever met Caelia before to the point where you get past that shy demeanor of hers? Very kind to most people. Even though they might be in an evil alignment. Er, she's very trusting to strangers. The only time I can think of where she would be envious is when she see's another woman's chest who's bigger than hers. ๑•́ㅿ•̀๑) Just kidding. Her jealous side only comes out when she sees the object of her affections flirting with other women and the women respond with more flirting. Like I said, a spoiled brat.

Pride vs Humility - 10? 9? 8?
This is really tough because I'm not sure of this one. But this is her biggest virtue from how I see it. Caelia isn't the type to boast about her accomplishments. Nor does she notice when she does. She would rather give all the credit to anyone else but her. Never thinking highly of herself because there is always someone who can outdo her. Doesn't mean she isn't confident! She is just learning her art and trying her best to master it to the best of her abilities. There's also about her never able to face her fears and weaknesses to herself and others. 

Caelia is a virtuous maiden and should be protected at all costs.

I'd say Envy since her jealousy could get the best of her emotions.

Kindness or Humility or Charity? Er... not sure.

Caelia needs to stop all her lustful thoughts before Nophica decides to strike her down. Hehe, just kidding. I'm sure wherever she scored low will be areas she definitely needs to work on. Like getting over her childish jealous for one!

RE: Sins vs Virtues (Character Development) - Lillini - 11-26-2014

Rating Scale:

Lust vs Chasity: 1
Noxaelius has very strong desires regarding the bed as well as general concepts such as power. He constantly thinks about these things every day and would be very willing to do it with anyone (female and barring a few small conditions), probably anywhere, and at any time.

Gluttony vs Temperance: 2
He is a glutton for luxury and power. There is never too much of either one, in his opinion. The more comfortable and luxurious his lifestyle, the better. It's the same with power and Aether as well. The more he has (whether it's normal Aether or dark Aether), the happier he becomes. His self-restraint is almost non existent. The only reason this isn't a 1 is because he restrains himself enough to not force himself on anyone in bed.

Greed vs Charity: 1
This male is extremely greedy for power and will stop at nothing to get it. His greed for power consumes his soul. And Noxaelius doesn't do pity, so charity is out of the question.

Sloth vs Diligence: 8
This Miqo'te is fairly diligent when it comes to getting things done or doing things that are a means to an end. However, he will always try to find the most efficient way to do things, because why bother with the long route when you have a shortcut? He gets things done well, though (very OCD).

Wrath vs Patience: 1
Noxaelius has a very explosive temper and can easily become cranky or angered. He isn't set off by everything, but certain things may trigger his temper instantly. Once he is angry at someone, he treats them cruelly and has a difficult time forgiving them.

Envy vs Kindness: 4? 3?
I'm not quite sure about this one because Noxaelius doesn't really envy others or get jealous of anything because his ego is so large, but he isn't kind either. The only times he may get slightly jealous are when people do obvious flirtatious actions towards Caelia and she doesn't really ward them off (for example, attempting to fondle her).

Pride vs Humility: -9001
I think one would be hard pressed to find someone with more pride than Noxaelius. His ego is so large, it probably bursts from Eorzea's borders and attacks neighboring countries. He thinks he is the most intelligent, the most handsome, the best at anything he's good at, the most powerful of anyone with a few exceptions, and is not afraid to mention how great he is. Anyone who doesn't agree with him regarding how great he is, is "obviously" deluded (according to him). He is not insecure whatsoever. He truly believes that he is the best.

Leans towards the Sins with a thousand-ton weight.

Pride by far.

Diligence, which seems to be the trait a lot of the more sinful characters here emulate.

In my opinion...probably greed, despite pride being his largest Sin. Pride doesn't really hinder him too much but his greed is very destructive towards others and especially himself, because he willingly hurts himself to gain more power. Noxaelius, however, knows exactly how he is and is fine with it. He has no desire to change himself whatsoever.