Hydaelyn Role-Players
Unique, Untradeable - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Unique, Untradeable (/showthread.php?tid=9044)

Unique, Untradeable - Rorojayu - 11-24-2014

Question barrage! Regarding equipment with specific origins, like Coil, Rowena, or Grand Companies,
  • If your character is wearing it, is that where they got it ICly? 
  • Is it even the actual equipment it's supposed to be, a replica, or just something unrelated to represent what they dress like?
  • Has playing with others who don't match up with you ever caused any problems?

RE: Unique, Untradeable - Maril - 11-24-2014

Whilst I do not tend to use end-game sets IC'ly (It just wouldn't make sense for my lvl 50 characters to wear armor as such) when I see it on others I presume it's a replica or a look-a-like. I figure that if some armor has become popular in tales and so on, it wouldn't be too far fetched to think that weavers, leatherworkers etc might use it as fashion inspiration. If I was to use it icly, I would probably note some minor differences in my wiki/fc descriptions of my character, such as many it's not made out of 100% the same materials as the original version, there might be some design changes etc. 
It's an approach I'd use on just about anything that comes from an origin that heavily hints/states that there's only one set in the whole world, or a very limited amount of them.

I can't answer for myself on the note of problems, but I have seen debates unfold in both FC-chat and linkshells about it, usually because someone sees someone else in it and wonder the same thing you're wondering. I reckon when it comes to the relic weapons is where I have seen the most OOC discussions about.

RE: Unique, Untradeable - Seriphyn - 11-24-2014

Unique/untradeable is only for gameplay purposes really! Take Grand Company gear...you see NPCs wear the stuff all the time, even if it's unique for you (it's literally just so you can't have more than one copy).

Also, speak to Rowena, she has lore about what all that endgame stuff is! Ilvl90 are replicas, ilvl100/110 is stuff made by Gerolt once upon a time, and ilvl120/130 is made by Garlond Ironworks. The job quest stuff, well, they're certainly not unique but they are rare. Lots of people come up with different RP reasons as to why they have a set.

RE: Unique, Untradeable - Rorojayu - 11-24-2014

Whoops, sorry! I wasn't actually concerned about them being unique/untradable, I just wanted the discussion to have a less boring title than "Equipment!"

Most of my sets, cosmetic or otherwise, have at least a couple pieces that my character probably wouldn't have access to. This is a little less blatant with some pieces (Immortal Flames skirt) than it is with others (Ironworks Robe). So I just wanted to hear a little bit about how people with MMO RP experience feel about these things.

RE: Unique, Untradeable - Gegenji - 11-24-2014

(11-24-2014, 05:13 AM)Rorojayu Wrote:
  • Has playing with others who don't match up with you ever caused any problems?

I've never had much issue with what others wear. Clothes are just clothes, in my opinion. To clarify, I feel that they only have importance insomuch as one gives it to them or wants out of them. Their appearance often helps to define a character at times, but in and of themselves usually should not be used as the definition of the character. As such, the "origin" of the piece matters little except in places where there's blatant history involved (either blatantly through lore, or as a talking piece for the character themselves).

The Dragoon armor, for example, falls into that category because it's both a.) quite obvious-looking in full and b.) has quite the lore behind it. Even then, though, it could still be explained away as being a custom replica piece (which, as Seriphyn said, some pieces actually are), or even just a fondness for the style if only a couple pieces (ex. greaves or gloves) are used. There could even be other, easily explained reasons for the look - a Garlean might say their i120 gear is from their homeland rather an Ironworks-forged, for example, and I wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

Really, I just don't think that the "real" source matters that much as long as the player can put together a feasible reason if pressed on it. And, more often than not, I don't find myself even raising those sorts of questions as long as the character looks nice. "Lookin' purdy" trumps a lot of things for me, I guess. And don't forget - even if it might be a bit garish or flashy, the realm of Final Fantasy (and fashion in general) is not unfamiliar to some pretty out there fashion statements!

... I really hope that wasn't too rambly and circle-talk-ish. Blush

RE: Unique, Untradeable - Dasair - 11-24-2014

I'm too much of a nub to actually have any of this kind of gear yet, but eventually, there are some things I fully intend to make IC that are of higher tier gear sets if I can ever obtain them. For me, though, it's entirely for fashion purposes; my character's aesthetic is, and has always been, 'very fancy black (or dark colored), gold, and maybe red robe-like clothing'.  ... the High Allagan coat for instance, is perfect, but merely because it happens to be a dark color robe-coat with fancy gold accents.  

That said, if I ever get my hands on the thing, and I stick my character in it, it'd most definitely be a replica, or something 'inspired by the style'.  I am all for the 'fashion first, unless a character makes something out of it' way of thinking.  The only thing that my character would likely think, if seeing others with more elegantly designed clothes, is that they are likely well off, or had access to a lot of gil once (knowing full well he could be wrong; they could know a guy, or be a theif, or have made it themselves, etc).  In my character's case, it would be the same scenario (as he is fairly well off), but that would be the extent of his guesses about clothing unless anything more was explained about it.

RE: Unique, Untradeable - FreelanceWizard - 11-24-2014

I take a number of different approaches for "fancy" stuff. As Seriphyn noted, the AF+1/Mythology, Soldiery, and Poetics sets all have lore behind them that make them easy to work with in RP. I usually treat AF armor and relic weapons as replicas, purchased from artisans who make such things, then subsequently enchanted. For items that aren't iconic, such as dungeon and even Crystal Tower sets, I simply say they were bespoke work or things L'yhta happened to find while adventuring. We actually have a running joke in the Tower about finding clothing from the late Allagan era (LotA and ST sets) and how its... curious designs were what brought about the end of the Empire. I mean, after all, how could you see Amon's outfit and not want to punch the wearer? Smile (That hat. That horrible, crime against Man hat...)

All that said, I actually typically glamour my weapons to things that fit with her aesthetic and story. I usually go with highly mechanical or obviously magical weapons, such as the Lightning Returns event weapons, and call them either bespoke items or stolen and highly modified magitek.

(11-24-2014, 01:43 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: We actually have a running joke in the Tower about finding clothing from the late Allagan era (LotA and ST sets) and how its... curious designs were what brought about the end of the Empire. I mean, after all, how could you see Amon's outfit and not want to punch the wearer? Smile (That hat. That horrible, crime against Man hat...)
Your Tower has horrible taste and has been added to the list. Tonberry

RE: Unique, Untradeable - FreelanceWizard - 11-24-2014

(11-24-2014, 02:18 PM)Rorojayu Wrote: Your Tower has horrible taste and has been added to the list. Tonberry

Surprise

♪ I hate these Gear Crimes
Like Amon's big hat
That is a whole bird
It's not for wearing! ♪

I really ought to level archer past 15 one of these days, but physical classes are just so sweaty.

Anyway, thank you for the responses. I'll make sure I've got some sort of explanation ready in case my gear choices confuse anyone.

RE: Unique, Untradeable - Kellach Woods - 11-24-2014

I WILL LEVEL ARCHER UNTIL I GET TO ST.

I WILL NEED ON AMON'S HAT SO MUCH THE SERVER WILL GIVE ME A ROLL OF 101.

I WILL WEAR THE FUCK OUT OF THIS HAT.

AND BECAUSE IT IS KELL IT WILL LOOK FUCKING FABULOUS AND Y'ALL GONNA SWALLOW YOUR HATE.

(story on how he got the hat is simple - everyone else tossed it)

RE: Unique, Untradeable - ArmachiA - 11-25-2014

I generally don't say it's the almighty powerful thing it actually is. I use the T5 bow a lot in rp only because I think it looks cool, but IC it's... just a bow.

RE: Unique, Untradeable - Deverell Jinx - 12-14-2014

I don't know if the T4 Allagan drops count towards this topic, but my character does wear them icly. He wears the Allagan Tunic of Healing, and the matching shoes with the bestmans pants dyed [old]white. He also uses the Scholar Atma book icly as well. It matches the outfit somewhat.

The thing is, he doesn't treat the outfit as healers armor, nor the book as a weapon. To him, and to me, the outfit is made of simple but fine linen and soft leather, and makes him look like a high-class merchant. The book is a ledger/journal; something he uses to keep his business in order.

RE: Unique, Untradeable - Chris Ganale - 12-14-2014

My DRG wears wyrm mail and warrior's gear, but they're explicitly knock-off replicas that he had commissioned because his lady friend thinks they're hot.

RE: Unique, Untradeable - Sahja Elahka - 12-14-2014

*puts placeholder in conversation because desperately wants to someday ICly use the warrior of light set*