Hydaelyn Role-Players
Retconning of Aaron Glacier - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Retconning of Aaron Glacier (/showthread.php?tid=9031)

Retconning of Aaron Glacier - Aaron - 11-22-2014

Ok! After like what?  6 months? I feel I've learned enough about how to RP (never touched rp till I got this game) and thus I feel im ready to put in real effort in creating Aaron's history etc and give him more human traits and personality because lets face it, I wasn't very good at it lol I know. So I just made this thread hoping if I had any lore question and all id post em here and hope people could help me. I plan to do the bulk of it by myself. But help never hurts.

So! Here's what I've had so far on him. Keep in mind its just fragments for now and im working how to put em together. When I've completed it I would like everyone to read the final result in the future. 

My basic outline -
- Aarons hair was initially black, but do to an event later on in his life,  turned white from a mix of extreme stress (Marie Antoinette syndrome) and ice aspect aether. (Still working out what could be so traumatic for him to do that, was thinking like what? A v oidsent or something? )

- His personality is reluctant, cautious and shy (not kawaii shy more like he's afraid of what'll happen if he fucks up). I don't want a character with the typical sad backstory and emo attitude. I want something with more human emotions people can relate to.

- He's not a master blade fighter, he carries all those swords in a multi sheath on his lower back to "look" intimidating and make him look less of a push over. In combat however he's nothing special. 

- Due to the traumatic event that turned his hair white from extreme fear and stress, Aaron is very afraid of death and combat. Choosing to try and bluff his way out of alterations. He llearns to speak little and is completely silent and expressionless when fighting to keep up this charade. However he'll show fear if he knows his life is on the line. 

- His ice aspect aether is too much for his control, it's not overpowered or snowflake special it's just he is bad at control. They'll be times his own lack of control will cause his arms to freeze over slowly or something in the middle of a conversation because he's that bad at control. The reason why ties in to his traumatic experience and weak resolve.

------

So how's that compare to the newb Aaron some people here know now? Any ideas or tips?

Also if you can, if you met Aaron IC could you please waiver whatever you know about most of him just this once? I was new to rp as I said when I made that mess.

Thanks in advance! Hope the new Aaron im making will be really good to rp with!

RE: Retconning of Aaron Glacier - Unnamed Mercenary - 11-22-2014

As a person who RPs a character that goes through bursts of aetherical instability, I think the ice-aspectedness is a nice touch. Looking forwards to see how it'll be incorporated into the new storyline.

Any ideas on what the traumatic event was. (don't need to say it here. I'd keep that as a nice development to explain to someone through RP or a journal post)

Otherwise....will there be something like a reintroduction post or scene in game? I don't think ever RPed in anything at the same time besides maybe grindstone a long while back.

RE: Retconning of Aaron Glacier - Aaron - 11-22-2014

The traumatic event will probably involve him coming close to death via a unlucky accident and being alone with fear of dying was so great it changed him.

I don't know about an opening post, Aaron IC has said very little about his background so no one would really know anything lest they read the wiki. After I redo it I plan to slowly meld his new character into rp.

Btw thanks for the input!

RE: Retconning of Aaron Glacier - Jancis - 11-24-2014

(11-22-2014, 05:40 PM)Keyblade Wrote: Also if you can, if you met Aaron IC could you please waiver whatever you know about most of him just this once? I was new to rp as I said when I made that mess.

I guess that means Jancis didn't get a hug. Ho hum...

I think the reluctant way to go is more interactive. And it makes his moments of combat more bravery and engaging.

The whole ice aether idea: it sounds like an interesting magical quirk to me that you can develop on. Story arcs!
- He can try to find out more about the art of controlling it from other magi types in Ul'dah especially considering the guild there.
- The side effects, icing over, of his control can show if he's under a lot of stress and has to stop focusing on it: upset, overly distracted, sleeping. That way it's not something that comes up in every role play encounter and Aaron isn't more focused on dealing with himself than interacting with others.
- The ice can be beneficial in certain ways such as in combat at some point? I don't mean so much as in PvP type RP, but against monsters where there's more leeway to be buff. Icing over his blade, causing the ground to become slippery, using it as a semi kind of stoneskin.

Otherwise I think you also need to develop a couple more beneficial points about Aaron to balance out these flaws. What are his strong points? What are his hobbies and skills and likes that pull out of this scare of death and making a big show of strength.
- He did have a puppy before (aww) so does he get along with animals well and dreams of being some kind of trainer or doing animal husbandry?
- He's obviously strong enough to pack mule around swords so he might have some kind of quirk to always help out or reluctantly help lift things. *shrug* I'm at work so feh I'm distracted.
- Other talents outside of swordsmanship (even if he is 'average')

Otherwise what you have I think is a strong start. Except the whole no hug thing.

RE: Retconning of Aaron Glacier - Warren Castille - 11-24-2014

As someone who's, uh, plainly expressed my opinions to you before, I like it.

It NEVER dawned on me that Aaron might've been simply talking himself up, and that itself adds a LOT of depth. Seeing him so reluctant to partake at the Grindstone this weekend gets painted in an entirely new light when considered with this thread.

RE: Retconning of Aaron Glacier - Berrod Armstrong - 11-24-2014

First of all, it's always good to see a newer roleplayer take his experiences in stride in order to learn and grow from them. You seem to have set up your retcon to be as smooth as possible, so I don't think there'll be MANY hiccups and tweaks you'll need to make regarding your IC interactions with others (Berrod has been pleased with the work he's done so far, so that's saying something). 

Likely you may end up tweaking and changing more as you LEARN more and GROW more. Keep it up! Us roleplayers may be overbearing sometimes, but as a more recent roleplayer, you've shown a good bit of promise. If you ever need any advice/tips/random development prompts, feel free to poke me!

RE: Retconning of Aaron Glacier - Aaron - 11-24-2014

@Jancis 

Lol no he hugged her by ignoring I meant all the off the wall stuff I've done just because (I hear that influence a lot of IC stuff despite it just me being a OOC idiot lol) anyway thanks for the input!

@Warren
yea thanks haha, I tried to show him being reluctant a lot at the grindstone (him being reluctant to fight a girl remember that? As well as him afraid to fight Howl and how he felt bad after he lost) it was supposed to portray him fighting out of fear than coolness. Guess I gotta do a better job portraying it Frustrated

@Berrod
I appreciate it! I sorta learn through experience better than anything else so I was just experimenting with it all till recently. Feel like I got enough experience to make it a lot more fun to do.

Phew now I can drop the wwhole wanna be Cloud/Squall cross I used as a catalyst all this time lol

RE: Retconning of Aaron Glacier - Inessa Hara - 11-24-2014

Hi Aaron.   Tongue

Now then, so what you're saying is that Aaron has bad control over using magic with an ice affinity. Not that he has a massive reserve hiding in him or something but he does not have good control over wielding it? If that is so then I would likely look to the Thamaturges in Ul'dah. They use ice affinity magic and they can guide him or provide insight into the nature of his ability and how to control it.

Yo Inessa lol

His affinity is ice, it's within him but it mixes with his aether whether he wants it to or not at times so it has a habit of leaking out mid conversation or something and say begins to freeze a part of his body or make him feel cold etc. He doesn't know how to stop it but he can use it in the heat of the moment off instinct.

A side effect would be the air around him or whoever he was talking to getting really cold, his foot being frozen to the ground, or frost coming off his breath even if he's in a hot area.

I plan to link it with what jancis said with stress etc. It'll actually tie in good with the Mary Antoinette Syndrome.

Ok! I tried my best to create his new backstory. Hope it explains a lot of why he acts like he does and his abilities. I found a lot of grey areas in the lore as well and used them to my advantage as well as stuck close to the actual lore as close as I could. So without further ado I'd ask everyone to look it over and tell me if I did ok Tongue

Without further ado! IIt's in my signature the link to the wiki.

RE: Retconning of Aaron Glacier - Hiro - 11-24-2014

Totting around a bunch of swords + stealth and parkour seems difficult given the inherent nature of it.

Question about the bit about: Ceruleum poisoning.

You make a point of saying his blood diluted it, does that mean it is slowly being worked out of his system (as it should if it were affected but such factors) or is it at a now permanent level? If it is the later, you may consider just nixing the blood diluting as an explanation as it just seems gratuitous (and confused me a bit). Another optional thing could just be that the ceruleum poisoning altered his aether permanently while damaging (or not) his general constitution (IE: damaging organs from their exposure). Doing so you could tie it into his aetheric outbursts, making it something that it's not simply about control but also permanent (again, or not) damage. IT could have also given him some sort of aversion or allergy to Ceruleum, now that his Aether has been permanent changed due to a reaction with it. Linking things into singular events rather than a string of coincidental issues/flaws.

They're more daggers than swords so their a lot smaller. 

And thanks for the Ceruleum input part. I'll look it over and edit. Im probably going for a stable mix of both options you proposed if possible