Hydaelyn Role-Players
SCOB/FCOB SMN Raiders I'd like to Learn2PlaySMN from you - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: SCOB/FCOB SMN Raiders I'd like to Learn2PlaySMN from you (/showthread.php?tid=8986)

SCOB/FCOB SMN Raiders I'd like to Learn2PlaySMN from you - Kage - 11-17-2014

So basically what the title is asking.

I've got a geared SMN since, as you might know, I main BLM and am working on T9.

I don't plan on switching but I'd love tips on how to be a SMN raider.

I just... throw dots on things. Have some egi out. Hit things. I... don't know ><

RE: SCOB/FCOB SMN Raiders I'd like to Learn2PlaySMN from you - Aris - 11-23-2014

Please disregard this post. I can't delete it. Tongue

RE: SCOB/FCOB SMN Raiders I'd like to Learn2PlaySMN from you - Devereau - 12-10-2014

Honestly, SMN is pretty out of favour at the moment with FCOB tier gear, but there is a few general things you'll want to know. 

You want to follow general opening burst sequence. 

Swiftcast Shadow Flare -Raging strikes - Bio 2 - Miasma - Bio - Miasma 2/Potent Poisoning Pot - Fester - Contagion - Pop pet cool downs, Ruin 2 while waiting for Fester - Fester as soon as available. 

That should lengthen your dots as much as possible, blow CDs to be up sooner and get you two festers in the span of a Raging Strikes. 

You also really want to have Shadow Flare up as much as possible. 

Aim to refresh dots at 5, no less than 3 to keep them up at all times while maximizing normal spell time. 

Always have pet on obey, and use that to conform to some of the fight tactics. I find usually it's best to have per attack your current target, maybe have contagion macroed to Fester, etc; if you want to have stuff rather streamlined without the stress of manually doing it all while learning. You'll get the feel for the flow well.

RE: SCOB/FCOB SMN Raiders I'd like to Learn2PlaySMN from you - Gegenji - 12-10-2014

(12-10-2014, 03:08 PM)Thaarus Wrote: Swiftcast Shadow Flare -Raging strikes - Bio 2 - Miasma - Bio - Miasma 2/Potent Poisoning Pot - Fester - Contagion - Pop pet cool downs, Ruin 2 while waiting for Fester - Fester as soon as available.

I use a similar rotation when I'm DPSing as Scholar in Cleric Stance, minus the appropriate abilities, of course. Usually follow it by dropping out for a second to throw a Succor or Adlo up, followed with some top-off healing, before popping back in to refresh the dots. It's good to know that I have that rotation down on the off-chance I want to be more aggressive in my DoTin' up.

... Though I usually let my Fairies usually do their thing. Micromanage? What micromanage? Angel

RE: SCOB/FCOB SMN Raiders I'd like to Learn2PlaySMN from you - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-10-2014

(12-10-2014, 03:14 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(12-10-2014, 03:08 PM)Thaarus Wrote: Swiftcast Shadow Flare -Raging strikes - Bio 2 - Miasma - Bio - Miasma 2/Potent Poisoning Pot - Fester - Contagion - Pop pet cool downs, Ruin 2 while waiting for Fester - Fester as soon as available.

I use a similar rotation when I'm DPSing as Scholar in Cleric Stance, minus the appropriate abilities, of course. Usually follow it by dropping out for a second to throw a Succor or Adlo up, followed with some top-off healing, before popping back in to refresh the dots. It's good to know that I have that rotation down on the off-chance I want to be more aggressive in my DoTin' up.

... Though I usually let my Fairies usually do their thing. Micromanage? What micromanage? Angel

EOS DEMANDS TO BE FREE!

She's much happier that way~

RE: SCOB/FCOB SMN Raiders I'd like to Learn2PlaySMN from you - Edda - 12-10-2014

Whut? SMN may be my weakest class, but I'm pretty sure the filler spell you'll be using between refreshing dots is regular old Ruin. If you're looking to maximize your dps though, Ruin 2 should be used before every off-GCD skill you use, like Fester and Aetherflow. Other than that it's just a waste of MP, which SMN can burn through pretty quickly anyway.

But Thaarus has a point in that most i130 caster gear has spell speed on it, which is ass for SMN. ASS.

RE: SCOB/FCOB SMN Raiders I'd like to Learn2PlaySMN from you - Kage - 12-10-2014

(12-10-2014, 03:41 PM)Edda Wrote:
Whut? SMN may be my weakest class, but I'm pretty sure the filler spell you'll be using between refreshing dots is regular old Ruin. If you're looking to maximize your dps though, Ruin 2 should be used before every off-GCD skill you use, like Fester and Aetherflow. Other than that it's just a waste of MP, which SMN can burn through pretty quickly anyway.

But Thaarus has a point in that most i130 caster gear has spell speed on it, which is ass for SMN. ASS.
Not to mention FCOB SMN are moving to BLM...

RE: SCOB/FCOB SMN Raiders I'd like to Learn2PlaySMN from you - Edda - 12-10-2014

(12-10-2014, 03:42 PM)Kage Wrote:

Not to mention FCOB SMN are moving to BLM...
Can't say I blame them. Even if they don't particularly enjoy the class, BLM benefits from Spell Speed much more than SMN could ever even hope to. BLMs have their weaknesses in turns that require high mobility like T11, but even then... The BLM bias this patch. So sad. Sad

RE: SCOB/FCOB SMN Raiders I'd like to Learn2PlaySMN from you - Kage - 12-10-2014

It's like SE took a look at SCOB, heard about the average BLM cries and said "ok time for you SMN"

RE: SCOB/FCOB SMN Raiders I'd like to Learn2PlaySMN from you - Devereau - 12-10-2014

Sorry, I should clarify. Only reason I say Ruin 2 there is so you aren't locked in spell cool down during opener, which can prevent you from making that last few seconds of Raging Strikes to get in two buffed Festers.

ANY OTHER TIME USE RUIN IF YOU AREN'T MOVING OR NEED TO HIT SOMETHING FAST.

Also, many people use SMN just for t11 because of that.