Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Books of Xavarian - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: The Books of Xavarian (/showthread.php?tid=8879)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: The Books of Xavarian - Dasair - 12-25-2014

[Between these pages is a folded letter, with writing underneath in the book itself.]

Show Content

* "I do believe things happen for good reason. I have been told to deliver this letter to your employer when word had reached Coerthas. I think he will find the proposition quite... interesting. You have yourself a peaceful evening."

I've recently spoke to Soli about contact with Sanoesoix, the Crier known to work Above at particular behest.  He has actually worked for the Family quite a while, now that I consider it, and I'd been hoping that, perhaps, he may work under my employ to get word out about of the scribery and bookwork I might offer.  Solivuire thought it was an excellent idea, and.. well, managed to arrange a meeting between us rather quickly.  I didn't have to tell him much, it seems Soli already made most things rather clear.  Though it likely helped that he knows the Family, and their typical.. ways of doing things.

He told me that business Above was likely to be much slower than that Below, even considering that the Family had more than one scribe.  I suppose that follows, especially taking to note just how large and widespread the surface is.  How open.  A voice will carry far less distance, and furthermore, surfacers are much more slight in their hearing, it would seem.  Not only would Sanoe need to be within fairly close of them to be heard, but he'd need to be able to find interest, and with the wide expances of Eorzea, the different intricacies of surfacers, nevermind their odd hours, I cannot doubt the challenge that is at hand.

It seems, though, that he has been doing an excellent job.  He had already returned, not long after setting out to start in the more familiar Shroud, with a letter given to him by a well-mannered man.  Elezen, though lineage was something Sanoe could not discern.  The crier does, however, have an excellent memory for words.  I believe he is also somewhat of a story spinner outside of his hire, so it would make sense.  The quote above is what he told me the man said to him, before his quick departure.  

I am actually rather intrigued, despite the care I feel I may need to put into this endeavor.  I know Coerthas is a dangerous place to find one's self in, and certainly nowhere for the unprepared.  Soli has since visited again, (visited me again, not Coerthas) and I asked that she may look into the Vale Brothers for me.  Again, she agreed, thinking that to be best, and has since been off doing whatever she does to prepare, though did warn me that the Family has other tasks for her, so it may be a time before she will get to it.  At the very least, I know she won't be letting herself into my room by her window entries, or waiting for me to return while squeezed into odd, small spaces for a while~

I know little about these Vale Brothers; if that is a title of particular men, or an organization, even.  And I would hope to know a bit more before heading into such a place.  I do know that there are those there capable of scribery, as is assured by the written letter.  And I know that 'I won't be disappointed'.  Which is an.. interesting sort of encouragement, implying something somewhat important on the other end.  I am unsure if this is a task that cannot be carried out by those already in their employ by law, by lack of trust, by danger, or otherwise.  But regardless, considering Coerthas and its people, it seems unusual that they'd request an outsider to make an appearance.  

... All the more reason I'm dreadfully curious~  It was ever exciting to travel elsewhere for a job, instead of being kept in the designated space the Family had me stay in.  And now that is nearly all of what I will be doing~  I will need to be careful, would definitely like some more information on what I am getting into prior, but it will certainly be interesting~

RE: The Books of Xavarian - Dasair - 12-28-2014

Grimoire for Lafiaht's Mate

• "Gotta have enough pages so the writer has room for mistakes, yeah?"
  • "book for a beginner"
  • "While I don't think he’ll be pursuin’ the art like I do I want ‘em to have enough room t’learn."
  • He's a Highlander
    - big guy
    - small for the race
  • "Gotta be able to fit in his hands proper so maybe somethin’ you can hold?” 
  • “Not a fancy sort of man—no bells or whistles, probably make the cover leather.”
  • Tan
  • Might find me in the meantime for anything additional
  • Thoughts:
    - Standard, Leather, Beginner's Grimoire
    - Minimum additions (weight customizing only perhaps?)
    - Simplistic design (perhaps only include the symbols and spell bindings that will circulate the Aether throughout the tome.)
    - Lowest-grade quality that the Family would allow to be parted with.

• Payment
    - Trade of Knowledge
    - Will teach me some Arcanima
    - Non-specified (I left it to her discression, I'd just like anything, really.)

• Drop point: Moogles at the Mist.
  • Lafiaht may wish to watch a tome being made at a later time
    - when both are less busy.
    - A logical thought~

• Moogles
    - didn't take anything from Lafiaht's scrollcase
    - Which she did recieve! 
    - Albeit late.
    - Unclear whether they went through anything
    - Appeared unopened anyway

RE: The Books of Xavarian - Dasair - 12-28-2014

I've gotten my first Grimoire commission on the surface!  I [blot] well, I really should likely be working, but I am too excited~  I must spill some of these thoughts onto a page.  

I really wish to make this book a spectacular one.  Though the simplicity of it was requested, a Grimoire can be simple, yet still excellently crafted and comfortable in most ways, yes?  And as a gift!  That Lafiaht would come to me for something for her mate, something I would consider a rather important request, I must try my best not to disappoint her, or him.

Which reminds me.. when she mentioned that her previous partner merely left her with nothing in the desert... How incredibly dreadful.  She seems pleased enough now, having found another, living in a place she is clearly fond of, so I do hope it turned out for the best, but I could not help but be... upset.  What a terrible thing to do.  [a few blots] 

But now she is in Limsa as well.  Or, at least, close enough.  I take it somewhere in the Mist, staying with her mate.  No wonder my package reached her so late.  However, it did reach her, which was excellent, even if belated, and did answer a number of questions.  Namely that I cannot trust Moogles with my deliveries, and for anything that I feel must be timely or important, the old ways are best.  ... Though she did request I leave the Grimoire with them this time.  Hrm.

Also, hunting a dragon~  What an exciting goal she has.  I can't say I've ever truly seen one, save for zizz, if they even count (they really aren't that close, are they?) or puks. Though the more I consider, the more I feel it may be wise to accept Lafiaht and her partner's assistance through Coerthas.  Clearly they have been there, and [blot] were I better with healing magics, I may actually be able to help them more.  [a few more spots]

Really, I should be practicing. What will happen if Soli should ask that I assist her on one of the Family's requests, and I am so poor at it?  Perhaps, though, getting various commissions and the interest of those Above would.. dissuade such a request, for now.  Clearly I am gathering Knowledge this way, promoting further alliances, of a sort. They clearly know the uses, they'd had me doing it for years.  [a few more spots]

Though by the same thought, wouldn't it be exquisite to actually help Soli?  To actually do something of merit on an outing for the Family, save for [a few blots] well, I suppose what little they did have me do before was certainly of merit.  No other could have done it, I suppose, I [spot] I know it was important.  I merely.. I can't say I've ever had so much mobility, so much freedom, it's always been by their direction, decree, guidance, what was best for the Family.  But here.. Here I can set my own trade price; I am seeking Knowledge, and that Knowledge can be for myself as well as otherwise, not just merely by their decree.  Being able to have a part in what is to be, a part that is my own, to be able to learn all of what's around me, to be able to see and assist Soli in what she does as well, instead of her needing be the one to 'handle my affairs' as she likes to put it.  Thus far, coming Above has been.. far beyond anything I've even considered to expect, and there is only more yet~  

I'll.. I'll need to practice.  I wonder about the healing geometries in Arcanima.  As I understand it, it is quite flexible and self- sustaining as an art, so perhaps there are a number.  Perhaps more can be devised if there aren't~  Clearly they are there, though, as I've been asked for Grimoires that would accentuate that sort of magic.  ... Perhaps I should ask about that, should Lafiaht wish for specifics.. when she meets to teach me~ [there is a bit of a flourish to that tilde]

That will be so incredibly exciting, I really cannot wait~  Not only will I be able to see Lafiaht doing something she seems quite a bit to enjoy, gaining Knowledge all the while, but I will actually be able to use the Grimoire I made for myself!  Or.. one of them.  Certainly not the ridiculous ones I made as a child, but the latest one, the one that begs for use every time I see it, yet I've never had the ability.  Soon though!  Soon I will~  Well, should all go according to the plan, of course.  Or even just somewhat in the direction of the plan; plans are ever wont to change, regardless of all else.  An off-path saunter towards the plan would suit me fine enough~

First, I must make an exquisite, yet simple Grimoire.  I feel I may need to keep reminding myself of that in my excitement.  For the Knowledge gained, I merely wish it to be worth the price I asked~  But there is no use if it is not what Lafiaht, or her partner, desires.  Simple, remember to keep it simple.

Despite its simplicity, it must be up to standards, even if only the lowest ones I'd be willing to lay hands on, and I'll need a few materials yet.  I should set out soon, I've not much time, and would rather not be horribly rushed~

RE: The Books of Xavarian - Dasair - 12-30-2014

• Avis
    - Requested to meet by linkpearl
    - Prof. Jigumundo's assistant
    - Meet her at Moraby Docks
    - The place not far from the interesting, explosive, Calamity formations

• Avis
    - Hyur 
    - Woman
    - Nearly dropped her book into the sea
    - Finds my choice of words entertaining
    - Quite curious
  • Interested if flares of flame are common to my embarassment
    - curious about the Aetherical anomolies
    - Also curious if I "truly live in a cavern"
  • Didn't quite answer about the anomalies
  • Did answer about the caverns~
    [blot]
  • She asked if she had permission to 'experiment on me'
    - mentioned she had a good sense of research ethics
    - Unlike the Prof.
    - "I'd completely help myself to it if I'm allowed."
  • Resides in Limsa
    - notes that I am serious about my profession
  • I noted experimentation rights depend on the experiments
    - that I will retain all freedoms
    - and all ability to refuse and react
    - I can't help but be curious what in the hells she'd do, though~
  • She noted my 'meticulous'ness
    - she prefers to write after the fact
  • She is also a scribe~
    - said I am 'giving her a run for her money' in the field
  • I mentioned the mind filling in things different than they took place, as to why I write things down as they come.
    - Her reply: "The mind does, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. Writing after, not before, makes for greater clarity of thought as well." 
  • Her scribe work description (and mention of myself)
    - "I do, informally - accosting strangers in taverns when I need gil and they need written confessions done for them. Recently, though, one of them deigned to point out to me that there are now more legitimate means of procuring that aid... I found an Elezen proclaiming a scribe's wares and teased out the name 'Xavarian'."

• Seemed... very interested in Aetherical sparks jumping around on me
  • Her thoughts on 'accosting people at bars'
    - "Those haunts are where men and women have the greatest need of a coherent letter. There is much to unearth from such sites, and you might find it profitable someday." 
    - Also mentioned me making an empire out of my abilities
  • I mentioned I've my reasons for remaining out of bars
    - also asked if she'd thought about doing more.
  • She has considered it
    - would rather spend her time on 'other forms of self-improvement'.
    - Such as traveling
    - Or doing as she pleases
  • I mentioned my sparks so she might ask her curiosities
    - "I would be very much in demand as a sword dancer if I had a quarter of your very demonstrative aetherical qualities. It is an enjoyable enhancement to body language. Are you not wary that it might give away your inner thoughts?"
  • I asked if she could tell what I was thinking by my Aether.
    - She said the would need to conduct some more experiments on me to be sure~
    - Thought I didn't believe her given purpose for meeting
    - At least, it seems, she cannot see my throughts~
    - Asked then, what was on my mind.

• She is a student in Arcanima
    - in that Arcanima resembles language
  • She belittled Knowledge 
    - "Knowledge? What a stiff, prickly word. No wonder the Professor picked you out. I prefer 'information'. 'Secrets'. 'Tales'. 'Sentiment'."
  • I explained exactly how doing such a thing is ridiculous and illogical
    - though she may choose slighter, more specific facets as she wishes, I will stick with Knowledge.
  • [blot] She also said I had a nice voice
    - and should use it more.
    - Can one really be that interested in hearing me speak? 
  • Her reply
    - "My dear Xavarian, I believe we are on the same page here. This has all merely been an issue of word choice. I consider myself an artisan of the written word, so some words appeal more than others in variously subjective ways. But. I will henceforth consider all communication between us as a transfer of knowledge." 
    - It seems we may merely have different diction
  • Avis' outlook
    - "The word "stories" represents most of what I stand for. The experience of a sentient being in its varied shades and hues across space and time. The scientific pursuit can be said to be a subset of that."
    - I mentioned a slight lesser accuracy in place for interpretation
    - She said: "I wouldn't go as far as to slight the value of accuracy, but... we cannot help the way we see, feel things. There is value to subjective experience. Pure objectivity is a useless dream, and.... not at all fun." 
  • I mentioned she might do well working with Wind and Water
    - She was curious.
    - Asked why I thought she would be good with Conjury
  • She also noted that there is merit in my way of taking down words~
    - "It's what I said earlier about 'living in the moment'. There is an honesty in there that no other attempts to capture will ever accomplish.  There is merit to your peculiar way of punctuating conversations with writing, then. Though it is not at all intrusive or disruptive. Which is curious, too." 
  • I explained a bit about the elements
    - how the two mentioned seem to suit her
    - that they might like her
    - She said: "I doubt they'd like me very much. I'd make them dance, throw up fountains and whirlpools for me if I could, just for the sight of it. Then write about this display of 'natural' beauty." 
  • She wished me to teach her
    - I mentioned that I am not the best teacher
    - Though I will try
    - Note: I really must practice my conjury more when I am not [blot]

• A trade of Knowledge
    - I will attempt to teach her what little of Conjury I know
    - She will teach me more of Arcanima
    - Between her and Lafiaht, I should get varying methods, and more practice
  • Avis on teaching
    -  "I'm the most capricious teacher I know. Expect nothing less than the most questionable indignities."

RE: The Books of Xavarian - Dasair - 01-01-2015

A few quick notes.  Or, I suppose, more a recollection.

I met Asheloux again while collecting wind crystals for the Grimoire.  He was, as expected, as rude as ever~  He had it in his mind that I should leave the place I was in, despite myself being there before his arrival.  He'd nearly tripped into me, which was rather amusing~  Of course, I did not oblige his.. strongly worded 'suggestions'.  Why leave when all I need is right where I am, and I can make him uncomfortable~?  It hardly seems up for debate~

There were, however, a few interesting things to do with this brief endeavor.  First, (though not in any order) he did mention his eye, after I briefly mentioned something vague about my Aether.  It apparently was an injury obtained from attempting to reverse engineer some old Allagan machines he'd uncovered somehow.  They were in fragments, and there were also crystals involved, that he'd found around Mor Dhona.  He claimed he didn't 'gather much from that' himself, though this is what he considered to be fair trade for the vague information I had given him.  I can't argue~

He also mentioned that I was the first to.. cause him actual pain by having so much Aether centered in one place~  Is it odd to be both 
a bit worried and flattered about this~?  I suppose that just results in my general amusement, though he seemed relatively amused about it too, despite reminding me how much I made his stomach churn.  He really does deserve to be bothered rather often for what he gives, though I find it interesting that I, in particular, give him so much difficulty.  ... It.. actually makes me wonder. . . [blot] Does he actually see what it was before?  Is what it was before even still there? Or hasit changed into something else entirely now?  And would his.. sight pick it up as harmful as it once was?  Certainly it does seem to affect him... [spot]

He also mentioned something about it being unfortunate I'd not been killed somehow.  Not surprising, given how much he adores me, but something to note, I suppose.  The Family did always say to note everyone who may wish to kill you, and really, it's quite a logical sentiment.

Lastly, he'd mentioned that he was studying wind crystals and their possibilities of flight.  ... Which is interesting, though this was right before he left rather abruptly to.. throw up or something.  I'd really not had the time to ask him about it, but.. immediately I thought of Lafiaht, and her endeavors to get to the Nymian Ruins.  Perhaps, should I see him again, I will ask about this... or even, when I am not so busy, look into it myself.

Though, really, I should get back to working on the Grimoire.  [a few blots]  It is nearly complete!  Which is exciting.. despite my tired words here.  I will finish a bit more, get these wind crystals set, then rest.  There's not much more to do now.

The Grimoire is complete!

I sent it, it has just been sent, I.. I actually tried to watch the Moogle to see where it may have taken the package, but lost track of it.  It?  Him?  I [blot] I am simply excited!  And nervous.  By Thaliak's scrolls, I hope I made no glaring mistakes.  I hope I didn't make a mess of this, my first commissioned tome on the surface!  And a Grimoire no doubt!

I tried my best to keep it simple, and it is rather.. quite plain.  Well, compared to most Grimoires requested, at least the true ones that are meant to be used as a Grimoire in some fashion.  [a few spots]  
 It is still of quality, of course!  I hope.  I did try to take the materials as far as I could, and choose them of the best standard.  But 'not fancy', plain, simple were what was sought, with no additions.  So it was made to the absolute lowest grade that the Family would ever have let out of their doors from me. 

I need to stop tapping the pen on this page.  Like I am waiting for something.  Nothing will come if all goes well!  Only if it doesn't, I suppose.  I should be endeavoring to get nothing  but here I am, writing nervous and tapping my pen all over my pages.  Hells~

I just hope it is liked, and I hope that the Moogle gets it to Lafiaht in time.  She did request it be sent that way, I should just trust her, she certainly knows more of these matters than I.  And it was so difficult not to make the Grimoire better!  Such a strange thing, when you know you are working below your abilities, and yet it is such an important thing to be working on [blot] yet requested to be at that par.  But it is something of merit, to be used, a first test, and bought by [blot] by someone who actually enjoys my company.  Someone fond of.  This is such a grande endeavor!  And yet, needed to be incredibly simple.

My first commission on the surface, the first one I handled myself, without any in the Family through the middle, the first not strictly overseen, not dictated by their own call of price.  The first for me, the first for one who knows me beyond my work, and a first of it's own, a step into new Knowledge for the one it's meant for, and a gift all the while.  It is all so important.

She said it would not be the last time she seeks a tome, so perhaps I will have another chance to create something exquisite later.  I hope, despite its simplicity, that this is still exquisite enough.

I'd just be really pleased if it serves the purpose it was meant for.  That it is a great gift for Lafiaht to give her mate, and that they are both happy with it.  [a few more spots]

By the hells, I need to get up and do something.

• Iqhii
    - Hyur
    - Woman
    - scar on face (recent)
    - blond hair
    - says 'you can say that' often~
    - Attacked in the Shroud
    - A couple days back
    - Doesn't know who or what it was
    - looking for clues
    - hasn't yet asked the Wood Wailers
    - Doesn't seem to be from the Shroud
    - certainly isn't saying everything
    - wary (though cannot be blamed)
    - found near Gridania

• Theories
    - in this area:
    - raptors
    - occasionally hostile fungars
    - elemental disturbances from time to time
    - Potentially unfriendly others seeking to steal from her
    - some imps are known to be around at times
    - If she had anything of interest:
    - bandits
    - thieves
    - hunters (either mistake or on purpose)
    - ixal
    - Any number of other possibilities depending on where she'd come from.
    - May have been followed.
    - Wrong place, wrong time.
    - Other factors in areas unseen

• Sylphs
    - may have been about to see something
    - though she mentions hearing no chimes

• Meeting
    - later, sometime in the same area
    - Outside Gridania
    - Prepare to take her to bandits' stronghold.

RE: The Books of Xavarian - Dasair - 01-08-2015

The Salt Strand
  • Formations up the cliffside
    - seem crystaline
    - yet also appear to be the mountainside itself
    - not 'additional', but perhaps a changed form of the Aether?

Jigumundo's Visit
  • Melody's Research
    - She has a Nymian Tome
    - Non-translated, apparently rare
    - got it from someone, though who is uncertain
    - Suspected to originate in the Wanderer's Palace
    - Note: I believe that is where Lafiaht mentioned previously wishing to visit
  • Believes a way to translate the tome might be found there
  • The Prof.
    - Already has a team of adventurers
    - Himself, Melody, those who are more for 'brawn'.
  • Much to do with Nymian Culture
    - civilization
    - Tonberries
  • Not allowing us to go with them
    - Yet need us to help research
    - We'll accompany him in meeting 'Miss Melody'
  • Will return with findings
    - scrolls, tablets
    - wish us to help translate them

• Melody
    - specialist on Nymian culture
  • The Prof
    -help her gather information as experienced explorer
  • Other adventurers for security
  • Theory of Nymian Downfall (according to the Prof)
    - "Specialists claim that Tonberries are victims of a terrible sickness... Which made them homicidal and agressive."
    - Also short and green
    - Prof thinks tonberries = Nymians
    - civilization fell to some "epidemy".
    - Led them to kill each other and destroy all else in the process
  • Melody believes that the tome = a journal
    - attempt to cure the sickness
    - That is going to be checked
  • Accompany them to Bronze Lake when they meet
    - may be able to see the tome
  • Tome
    - not actually certain what it is
    - may be a grimoire

• Some inks used in Arcanima
    - magical properties
    - made by Ul'dahn alchemists

• Avis
    - is noted to wish to stay away from those in Ul'dah

[The writing below here is... strange, to say the least. Compared with the earlier notes, this appears to be rather more careless? Unconstrained? The flourishes on the words are quite exaggerated, and the text is bigger than usual.]

Avis dances in fountains and lived in the desert city home
* all gone now

Jigging said something
[there's a large blot that sort of trails to a streak off the page]

RE: The Books of Xavarian - Dasair - 01-09-2015

By the gods and the hells, Avis, please.

I [a few blots] She started it all! Somewhat. Well, I suppose I chose to partake, so it is really my fault. [blot]

... I should not drink much so strong in their presence. I mean, well- it was for an experiment, but- [blot blot] I nearly melted them. I think. Or myself. ... Maybe? The professor, however, was far worse off, talking about softness, and cuddling things. ... Blowing up those nearby.

I only remember somewhat, which, hells.

My staff is not [streak, blot]

How dreadful.

Yes, I certainly just wa I am not even going to write that! Why would she even consider such things? I need to cool off, lest I melt my pen.

... Though I suppose it was somewhat amusing. And no, I am not going to be any clearer about this because the last thing I need is the potential for Soli to snoop through this tome, (which I would be tempted to -[blot] to freeze her for, mark my words Soli, I will know) and then have her asking me questions. Of...[blot] that nature.

Which would be highly disturbing, really.

[a few spots] The professor did say, though, that we were [spot] like his family. How odd, yet. ... Endearing. Despite him saying he was disappointed I didn't explode earlier, I mean really~

And Avis... I believe I said something I [spot] may have rather not. Still. Perhaps she will forget. Two words don't tend to stick that closely to many, hm?

... For the safety of all Lominsans, please.

RE: The Books of Xavarian - Dasair - 01-09-2015

[There is a letter tucked into the pages here.]

Quote:Dearest friend,

In the spirit of Starlight, we are distributing blessings of prosperity to all. Please accept this gemstone and think of it as a token of good fortune.

-- Sisters of the Red Lotus --

Letter

• Paper type
    - Mediocre; nothing of particularly high, nor low, quality.
  • Script
    - Crisp, clean, immaculate - feminine touch
  • Page treatments
    - None
  • Any residual leftovers on the page (blemishes, prints, water damage, etc)
    - Nothing discernable

Gem

• Appearance
    - small (palm sized)
    - crimson
    - engraved with what looks like a raven
    - flat
    - seems benign
    - has no marks or blemishes; nothing implying it was once part of something else (like jewelery, etc.)

• Aether
    - seems to have an Aetherical presence
    - Seems to draw in outside sources of Aether
    - My own appeared to be unaffected.
    - Though it was traced.
    - Then the gathered Aether heads off to some other location
  • Attempt to follow
    - Towards the Mist
    - Then directionally shifted?
    - Or did I get turned around?
    - ... Had I been turned around this entire time?
  • Location the 'threads of Aether' head towards seem to move
    - perhaps
    - Thus may not be a location, but something clearly mobile.
    - A particular person?
    - An item being moved?
    - Different beacons?

[a few blots]

• When my Aether shifts it tries to avoid mine.
    - Other than feather touches.
    - Seems like it's trying to familiarize itself with my Aether

Experiments

• Placed it near a raven (or raven equivalent)
    - Nothing occurred.

• Placed it near Aetherically potent objects
    - Doesn't absorb Aether from them
    - Appears to be taking in something specific, but not discernable just yet.

• Placed it near various elements
    - Does not seem to have any reaction

Compared with Avis' gem

• Her gem had a book engraved into it.
  • Smaller, her palm size
  • Appeared to be doing the same thing as my own, save for I could not feel the 'touch' from hers, nor could she feel any 'touch' herself.
  • We briefly exchanged them and nothing malicious happened.
    - Though we got the sense that they were made particularly for us, given her gem did not seem to react to me.
  • Avis also received a letter.
    - seems to be the same.
    - Why in the hells did we both get these?
  • She was unaware that I had also gotten one until she came to me to ask about hers.

RE: The Books of Xavarian - Dasair - 01-12-2015

How quick the surface is. Things move at such a fast pace, over and over, everything continues to place it's little bits of Knowledge so quickly, that it's hard to keep up.

I met with Ellemeare, and some man who'd give not his name.

The former [blot] She [spot] she said she considered me a friend. I [a few blots] I mean, I don't know how that happened, especially considering how she explained. She said that I was one of the few things constant in her life, that.. I was there when others had gone, and. [a few more blots] Well, I feel I've hardly been there at all. I think we've met all of four times, perhaps? And I know so very little about her, or [blot] well, at least I feel I do. And she even less of me. And yet. [a few more spots] She seems to trust me somehow.

Hells, I don't even know if I trust myself all that much, in a number of situations. Especially where she [blot] well, something more seemed to have occurred as well. Her mentor was accidentally killed by.. some uncontrolled flaring of Aether, and she blames herself for it. That.. must be dreadful, especially after she'd mentioned that she saved his life before. She sounds to have gotten into all manner of messes, but is learning more how to control her power, at the least. [a few spots] She asked if I could give her a hug once she told me.

She needed.. something, surely, and [a few spots] I know little of friendships, how one is meant to be a good friend, I'd always thought it was to do with knowing each other, and with that, such things would come. [blot] I write as though I were some emotionless being, lost and unsure of what it is to have such inclinations, and while I'm not the former, I really don't know how to go about showing the latter~ Everything seems so different up here, what if friendship is not the same on the surface? Though, really, I've only read about it, because as I understand it, friends are not Family, and [a few blots] well many would not count Vathen. That really only leaves those of Little Solace. It is perfectly possible though, that all manner of cultures do things differently. I'm not sure it would be appreciated if I gave Ellemeare some poisonous milkroot, and greeted her with a dance, as the Sylphs would enjoy, and I really don't know how else to go about it.

Though despite my fears of either freezing or burning her, I did give her a hug. ... I hope I didn't do it wrong. I've never [blot] well, no one really.. ever touches me. Why would anyone want to get close to someone who erupts in Aether every other given moment? It's really just.. [blot] logical sense, I suppose, but. She wanted to anyway. I.. managed to keep it down and not hurt her, and.. well, whatever I did it seemed to soothe her some.

She is so incredibly nice to me. Incredibly nice. She showers me with kind words, and trust when she knows me so little, and [spot] It's It sounds odd, but I don't even understand it~ Well, I mean, of course I understand that she's being nice, but. As in just [spot] just why? I'm trying to accept it, it is likely just who she is, but it's still just... incredibly... different. Is it wrong to be worried about someone being kind~? Probably. But I feel like.. I feel like I should somehow be able to return such feelings of, apparently, utmost trust, and I just cannot. At least not in the way that she seems to feel. I trust her enough not to wish me harm, or [blot] ill, and to keep her word when she claims she'd do something, but, there is still.. that doesn't seem like the same trust she claims to have in me. It's not because of her, but because I don't really know her yet. We've not been through enough, I know little beyond her niceness, troubles, and the few choice life details she decides to tell me, and she knows near nothing of myself. I can't help but wonder if this is some [blot] cultural dichotomy, but. Well, I suppose that is part of why I'm about, hm? Not to say that I don't like her, and don't wish to be her friend, I'm.. flattered, and pleasantly surprised, despite not knowing what I'm doing~ But I [spot] I suppose I wish it were more equal somehow, in feeling. I hope I don't disappoint her too terribly. [spot]

She did something else, though, that is of note. I believe she attempted to suppress my Aether. Keeping the heat down to a cool, but when she did [blot] I felt [a few spots]

It finally came back. The uneven spells of whatever in the hells is wrong with me. It hadn't happened for a long while, quite a long while. Much longer than it had ever stayed at bay Below, so much that I could, of course, move about freely. Explore without issue. It never seemed to come up! And it has been such a treat, such a freedom to be able to move about as I please, but. Then... it surfaced. Not much. Only just a little. And... well I'd been wondering where it'd gone.

It was actually more exciting than it was worrying, because then I knew a bit more about it. Whatever sort of Aether suppression she managed, it brought it back; which. Well, I mean, I had been wondering if I should suppress my Aether all along, but this implies I shouldn't. That I should let it be as it is, however it's changed itself, and I'll be able to move about~ By the gods, I can't imagine how it would've gone if I had done something myself in the ways of suppression. It likely would have been much stronger, which may have been much worse for me. And she did a good job of it too! Managed to keep it down to a point that wouldn't hurt her [a few blots]

I need to think on this more. But there it is, anyway.

She now resides at the Goblet, in the case that I should wish to visit this... family she's staying with. I [blot]

RE: The Books of Xavarian - Dasair - 01-18-2015

Avis
  • Comes from a family of brutal merchants.
    - claims the story is rather dull
  • Very curious about my past endeavors
    - Though such things will not come simply from me.
  • Offered a Trade of Knowledge
    - She asked what I wanted.
    - I said: "For the Trade to be at least equal… by all honest measure, what I’d like to know is something about yourself you’d rather keep hidden~ Something you don’t speak of, and wouldn’t speak of, to any but one you’ve a reasonable trust for, because, whether it will or not, this thing feels like its telling could leave you vulnerable.. or even subject to a change that frightens you~ That is what I need to know~ For something of that nature, that is clearly of that nature, that is what you will get from me, hm? As well as, I would hope, a relative respect for Knowledge of this nature to be treated accordingly~”
    - Conditions: Not to be spoken of to others (both).
    - She did not yet choose to give anything, as such, for now I have won~
  • [blot] She also left the 'decision' up to me.
    - On [a few more spots] an experiment.

[a few blots]

She couldn't have been serious. As though I am going to let her get away with that~

Yet... [blot]

Well if Avis would go that far, even if I challenged her, at least I ra[a large blot, something scribbled out in a mess of ink]

But that doesn't matter. What matters is she can't be serious, and I am going to call her on it~ Eventually. Maybe. She takes such delight in seeing me unable to deal with her words at times, well I can't help but wonder what she'd do trapped in her own phrases. Would she really offer herself as a solution to [blot] those [spot] 'problems'? Would she really go on several 'hypothetical dates for scientific reasons' insofar as to study me further? Subject who she is to [spot] myself in that way? Is the Knowledge worth that much to her? I very much doubt it~

Though..[blot]

On a different note!

I think I won~ At least on one point. ... Well, I didn't actually win anything, really but anyroad. She is.. [blot] ever curious about me it seems, as I am of her, really. And I do hold any number of Secrets, not all that are mine to give. However she wants to know mine. And. Well, they may not be very interesting when out, they are still bits of Knowledge that are close to me. I can't let them go that easily, and certainly not without something at least equal in value in return~

She wasn't willing to give what I asked for, as I imagined. Many wouldn't. It's .. quite important. Which is exactly the point; I can't help but wonder if others give her such details so freely. Though I know that some would. . . they don't often realize the meaning, the inherent value, of what such things are to the self. ... Then again, they may not matter to others, perhaps. Perhaps she's just met any number of people whom it didn't matter to, which is always possible. Yet.

I feel that those who are wise, and have something worth holding, even if it isn't much in itself, but enough to tell about the one holding it... they are the sort to keep such things close. She keeps those things to herself, or even, perhaps, away from herself. Yet certainly not wanting them in the hands of anyone else.

To which I respect fully~ ... And also why I think I won~

As curious as she is of me, I have no reason to give myself to any who wouldn't value the knowledge for more than having it. Trade is required. Knowing me for Knowing you; and even that doesn't count for everyone, only for those... well. Who seem worth Knowing. I think all have Knowledge that is worth the time, something one can learn from, grow from, and likewise give in all number of ways. Yet..

Personal Knowledge, Knowing someone is different. It is the place I will choose. Only some will get opportunities beyond what I give in observed action. Even fewer still will take them, have the patience for them, be willing to [blot] show themselves for them. It's the only way it's Equal, and by the hells, for the first time, even in light of being on a surface, a place already bent against what I am, I'd really like to be Equal.

I doubt it will happen. But it is the one place I can hold out for it, and I won't let it go for anything less. The vaguely curious, the 'interested but for a moment', the ones who want to know to toss it to the wayside later, like a once interesting feather they no longer care to hold onto.. let them find someone else's secrets to toy with till bored. Even if the Knowledge isn't put above much else, even if it becomes a ghost, shifting shadows in the back of one's mind... I want it to have meant something once. Let it be something to have been learned that really mattered somehow. Something obscure, little value to most but maybe means something to someone, for if they really want it, it will be there.

Knowledge has an interesting way of being what you want it, or need it, to be at times. What one puts into it is what they get back. And I'd just really like what I have to be worth getting. But if even an equal trade is too much, not worth the time, the price, not worth to the one asking what it takes for the one giving it in the first place, then I doubt it'd really mean something, hm? I will give... but only what I think will matter. And I can never say what will matter to another, but posing such a trade is a good way to get a closer idea.

Not that I really.. actually expect the Knowledge to be that to anyone. That anyone would want it so much. I'm really [blot] just some mess~ But I'd always liked the way some Knowledge really means something, and that what means something can be any Knowledge at all, depending on the person after it. That a key was dropped by some rocks. The name of one's mother never known. The answer to a riddle. The last thing a child said before leaving the other day. A book title. A simple tale from another's life.

[spot]

It can be among those things too, right?

[blot]

Anyway. If she wants it someday for something equal back, it'll be there as long as I am. Meanwhile, I'm perfectly glad to be in her company otherwise. She seems to think we don't get along, though she's [spot] I'm fond of her.

Even if she seems to enjoy tormenting me, by the hells~

She got one of those gems too, actually, (I wrote the notes on a prior page) so perhaps the both of us can figure out what is going on with these curiosities.

Sylas Peregrine
  • Lafiaht's mate
    - practicing Arcanima
    - blew up a rat
  • Got the Grimoire~
    - finds no problems with it
    - thinks it's perfect

• Ruin
    - 1st Offensive spell many Arcanists learn
    - A sphere of unaspected Aether meant to explode on a target
    - He cast it by forming the Aether, then smacking it with the Grimoire into a rat
    - The rat exploded (rather gloriously~)
  • Live in the Mist
    - Invited to come by sometime

I am still so incredibly glad that Sylas found the grimoire to be perfect. Perfect! I don't think any have said quite a thing about what I have done for them before, and this. This grimoire was of such importance, I am so glad that he finds it so pleasing~

He himself was a rather interesting man. His thoughts on Aether were most intriguing, things that I rather agree with fully, and [blot] it was somewhat... endearing, how often his mind drifted to Lafiaht. She clearly means so much to him, and, well, it was - is adorable the proper term~? To see how much he thought of her, how much everything connected back to her in his mind, and how much grand change she'd brought to him; things he felt he never would've known without her. 'Adorable' is not a term I use very often, I suppose, but I.. I always enjoy seeing when another is truly excited over something, expressing something that they truly.. love. Something that lights their spirit in such a way to have them act as they wouldn't otherwise, so consumed in the moment that they beam and grin, lose themselves in their thoughts, their whims, and are so caught up with the Knowledge, the experience, of what's before them, that they show a bit of themselves that would otherwise never be seen. A glimpse of what truly matters to them.

He is a good man, from what little I can tell. I fear at times much of what I spoke of ran its way past him; he is the sort who is.. a deep thinker, but not necessarily 'scholarly', I suppose. Still, I doubt not for a moment that he knows a great many things, especially considering the thoughts he expressed to me. Intelligence fares in all manner of ways, even those - especially those - less familiar to me. I wish him well on the rest of his studies, and hope we may meet sometime again~

Though, I doubt I'll ever find them in the Mist. ... Unless I'm not meaning to, then perhaps~

Spirit
  • Translucent spirit of a woman
    - wore a white dress
    - white hair
    - white eyes and skin
    - Had a Red Lotus pin on her clothing, that stood out the most

• Visions
    - blood
    - a dagger raised before punging downward
    - life leaving
    - water grows red with blood
    - ...no peace.
    - whispers, flowing like an unending river
    - screaming and howling
    - begging for mercy
    - cursing the gods
    - cursing me
    - "The raven, the Raven, the RAVEN. Why... why WHY?!"
  • She came closer
    - "Life was given. Life was stolen. For you. For YOU. For the Raven. For the Mountain. For the Bear. For the Oak. For you, You, YOU."
  • I ask what I can do to answer her
    - She doesn't speak words, though I hear thoughts.
    - There is anger, wishing for revenge, anguish
    - "Find me. Find Me. FIND ME."
  • More visions
    - A splash of water
    - hulking creatures move through muddy... liquid
    - A strange tree looming over heat, golden sand, and stone
    - A knife plunges deep
    - Life leaves.
    - Aether streams off in shining strands
    - Likely the place where she died
    - And the place she wishes me to find.
  • She then moved elsewhere, back the way she came

• A Miqote was near me
    - started stammering about how he got similar visions
    - asked if I knew what to do or how to help.
  • Got something different
    - "I saw something again! I saw what looked like some sort of expedition she was going on, perhaps she was a soldier...? She didn't call me anything though, no names... I just saw blood. Lots and lots of blood..."
  • Mentioned an 'Oasis Place'
    - said he was a dancer and entertainer
    - not 'cut out' for a murder mystery
  • Oasis Place = Forgotten Springs
    - Sagolii desert
    - claimed the setting of the sand and water looked familiar
  • Had not heard of the Sisters of the Red Lotus
  • She wandered by again, and I got another vision
    - Cold water
    - ran up to her ankles
    - a menacing tree overhead
    - Creatures as large as homes nearby
    - sands warm from the sun
    - antlings were too far to be dangerous
  • Looked at us with white eyes
    - then vanished into a mist
  • The Miqo'te asked why us
    - I mentioned I thought I knew what it was connected to
    - showed him the gem
  • He thought perhaps I had killed her in a past life
  • I said I thought it was connected to the stone itself, what it's doing with Aether, or perhaps that she is connected to it somehow. Perhaps 'The Raven' owned this gem prior, or it was created from something of theirs.
    - Thus she connects me, as the holder, to The Raven
  • Miqo'te thought that she might equate me with the Raven, her killer, and wish me to atone for his crimes somehow.
    - Is not a scholar
    - Though offered to help by seeking out information at the Taverns
  • Miqo'te
    - Waltz Concerto
    - traveling dancer and entertainer
  • I gave my first name
  • Waltz decided he would help me and needed nothing in return
    - wished to see the woman at peace.
    - would contact me with what he learns
  • He would also like to know what I find out
    - Should send word to him by Moogles with 'Waltz'.