Hydaelyn Role-Players
Rogue Dialogue - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Rogue Dialogue (/showthread.php?tid=8809)

Pages: 1 2

Rogue Dialogue - Kage - 10-29-2014

Heyo!

So I'm curious if anyone has not done the 2.2 quests and started to play as rogue?

My dialogue in entering the guild mentioned yugiri and the 2.2 MSQ stuff. Curious to know what people who haven't done the quest line have.

RE: Rogue Dialogue - TheLastCandle - 10-29-2014

(10-29-2014, 03:37 PM)Kage Wrote: Heyo!

So I'm curious if anyone has not done the 2.2 quests and started to play as rogue?

My dialogue in entering the guild mentioned yugiri and the 2.2 MSQ stuff. Curious to know what people who haven't done the quest line have.

I got that dialogue as Yvelont, but I've been leveling Rogue as Kendha'to, who hasn't done 2.2 MSQ, and no mention was made of Yugiri. I forget what the gatekeeper said instead, but it was something generic about Ken being "an up and coming adventurer" or some such thing. No Yugiri, no Leviathan. I thought it was a cool touch.

RE: Rogue Dialogue - Oscare - 10-29-2014

(10-29-2014, 03:37 PM)Kage Wrote: Heyo!

There'd be no reason why they wouldn't mention it even if you didn't play those pieces of contents. Even if you didn't actually DO those quests, the game still follows its canon and assumes you did. 

Unless the player character actually physically reacts to that line, they wouldn't scrap it if you did or didn't live through those quest lines.

NEVER MIND I GOT SHOT DOWN BY YVE. THANK YOU, FRIEND.

RE: Rogue Dialogue - Seriphyn - 10-29-2014

That's a nice touch to the scripting.

RE: Rogue Dialogue - Merri - 11-01-2014

They do this in a lot of quests, actually! Even in the main scenario quests for 2.4. Originally, they did it for us legacy players. Some characters, like Minfilia, remembered us from before the calamity and our role in the 1.0 scenario (If you completed it.). The entire 2.0 main scenario is based around the idea of your character having returned after being skipped forward in time five years by Louisoix. A lot of the cutscenes have extended or alternate scenes because of it, even. I actually recorded a few of them awhile back. Spoilers, naturally.
Show Content

RE: Rogue Dialogue - LiadansWhisper - 11-01-2014

(11-01-2014, 03:10 AM)Merri Wrote: They do this in a lot of quests, actually! Even in the main scenario quests for 2.4. Originally, they did it for us legacy players. Some characters, like Minfilia, remembered us from before the calamity and our role in the 1.0 scenario (If you completed it.). The entire 2.0 main scenario is based around the idea of your character having returned after being skipped forward in time five years by Louisoix. A lot of the cutscenes have extended or alternate scenes because of it, even. I actually recorded a few of them awhile back. Spoilers, naturally.
Show Content

"This video is private."

RE: Rogue Dialogue - Menelwen - 11-02-2014

(11-01-2014, 03:41 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(11-01-2014, 03:10 AM)Merri Wrote: They do this in a lot of quests, actually! Even in the main scenario quests for 2.4. Originally, they did it for us legacy players. Some characters, like Minfilia, remembered us from before the calamity and our role in the 1.0 scenario (If you completed it.). The entire 2.0 main scenario is based around the idea of your character having returned after being skipped forward in time five years by Louisoix. A lot of the cutscenes have extended or alternate scenes because of it, even. I actually recorded a few of them awhile back. Spoilers, naturally.
Show Content

"This video is private."

I was able to watch it!

And the cut scenes are amazing. It just kills me that our characters are just silent. I mean, I wish we could at least read text to know what we were saying. ._.

RE: Rogue Dialogue - TheWizard - 11-02-2014

Show Content

Watching that as a non-legacy player (though I did join 2.0 only a few months after its launch) honestly makes me feel unworthy of even playing, let alone being called a new Warrior of Light in the MSQ. I oftentimes find myself in awe of legacy players when I encounter them as I hold a fascination for the past of things and they are akin to living relics of a bygone age that I can never live aside from cutscenes on Youetube. Sure I saved Eorzea from a bunch of Primals and a Primal-eating relic of Allag, but none of it really seems to compare to the struggling of trying to keep an entire MOON from hitting the ground. Planets only have so many moons, even if it was actually artificial...

I suppose it is akin to starting a book series a book or so in or starting a television show in the second season, only the first part of the thing you've come to love is destroyed or otherwise unable to be ever accessed. Perhaps its silly but I try to not think about it because it just gets me down when I think about it.

Maybe all I need is to talk to one and be told that it's alright that I wasn't there in the beginning and that this sentimental fool has earned the right to stand beside them as a Warrior of Light.

RE: Rogue Dialogue - Kage - 11-06-2014

This pertains more to those who RP in Limsa.

I'm not far into the Rogue line as I have more pressing things to do but... They talk about the code right? Piracy is -not- legal just simply tolerated? so long as they're pirateering non-Limsan stuff.

Has the code affected Limsan RPers stuff? Ie thieves who have stolen from someone in Limsa or whatever worried about retribution by the Rogues?

Also, am I the only one who is bothered by the gun wielding lalagirl? >.>;

RE: Rogue Dialogue - Melkire - 11-06-2014

(11-06-2014, 04:57 PM)Kage Wrote: This pertains more to those who RP in Limsa.

I'm not far into the Rogue line as I have more pressing things to do but... They talk about the code right? Piracy is -not- legal just simply tolerated? so long as they're pirateering non-Limsan stuff.

Has the code affected Limsan RPers stuff? Ie thieves who have stolen from someone  in Limsa or whatever worried about retribution by the Rogues?

Also, am I the only one who is bothered by the gun wielding lalagirl? >.>;

This was something that actually genuinely worried me when I came across it in the Rogue quest line.

Essentially, the "code" that's been established as a cultural/societal guideline in Limsa Lominsa is that, if you're Lominsan, you don't steal from / swindle / cheat your fellow Lominsans. The whole concept seems to have been born as a countermeasure to the sort of mutually destructive backstabbing that you'd expect out of a hastily-thrown-together alliance of banded-together pirates... which, of course, is exactly what the Maelstrom and the Yellowjackets started out as.

Furthermore, apparently the only way to keep the Admiral and her troops from coming down on a pirate crew's head is to 'go legitimate" by way of signing on as a privateer. That raises the odd question: most if not all seafaring vessels we see in Eorzea originate from Vylbrand, if not Limsa itself.... so who the hell else are these privateers stealing from?

So what you have is a situation where a lot of folks who'd be glad to slit each other's throats have been shoved into the same city-state and, by mutual agreement, decided to prey outwards instead of amongst themselves, which would make sense if FFXIV's world was large and diverse enough to support that... except it really isn't.

It gets awkward for Lominsan RP, particularly those of us with backgrounds in more questionable activities. I've reconciled my own issues with Square's new lore by looking to the criminal organizations shown in the Rogue quests and reasoning that large-enough gangs/crews, or small-enough-and-smart-enough-to-escape-notice gangs/crews, would essentially be ignored by the Admiralty provided they don't stir up shit. As for the Dutiful Sisters, I'm sure there's enough back and forth between the rogues' guild and less honorable thieves in Limsa to say that crime isn't quashed so hard in that city-state that it no longer exists, be it on a small or large scale.

EDIT: Not sure why Milala the Yellowjacket musketeer would be bothersome.

RE: Rogue Dialogue - Merri - 11-06-2014

(11-06-2014, 05:47 PM)Melkire Wrote: so who the hell else are these privateers stealing from?

Spoilers because Rogue storyline. Not really anything super spoilerly, but figured I'd throw it in just in case.

Show Content

(11-06-2014, 05:51 PM)Merri Wrote:
(11-06-2014, 05:47 PM)Melkire Wrote: so who the hell else are these privateers stealing from?

Spoilers because Rogue storyline. Not really anything super spoilerly, but figured I'd throw it in just in case.

Show Content

Now that you mention it, I do recall that line. Have we ever even actually seen said ships, though? I figure they'd haul most of their shipments around by airship. After all, why expose your shipping and supply lines to the enemy when you have the means to avoid doing so?

RE: Rogue Dialogue - Merri - 11-06-2014

(11-06-2014, 05:52 PM)Melkire Wrote: Now that you mention it, I do recall that line. Have we ever even actually seen said ships, though? I figure they'd haul most of their shipments around by airship.

We haven't, but we do know they exist. Eorzea traded with them in recent history, actually, prior to the calamity, if memory serves me correctly. Their ships would dock in Limsa and were routinely inspected by Mealvaan's Gate. Eorzea technically wasn't at war with them until the renewed aggressions in 1572.

RE: Rogue Dialogue - Kage - 11-06-2014

I would think that sea-faring ships are just much more economical than airships until there's a great need.

You mean I -am- the only one who thought Milala's smirk with the gun sparkle was unnerving or creepy? >.>

(11-06-2014, 05:56 PM)Merri Wrote:
(11-06-2014, 05:52 PM)Melkire Wrote: Now that you mention it, I do recall that line. Have we ever even actually seen said ships, though? I figure they'd haul most of their shipments around by airship.

We haven't, but we do know they exist. Eorzea traded with them in recent history, actually, prior to the calamity, if memory serves me correctly. Their ships would dock in Limsa and were routinely inspected by Mealvaan's Gate. Eorzea technically wasn't at war with them until the renewed aggressions in 1572.

Ah, alright.

I'm still questioning the advisability of ragged privateer crews with inferior arms taking on the Garleans and their magitek at sea (and questioning even more so why the Garleans would willingly expose themselves by being at sea in the first place), but I suppose the crews in question could make it work, especially if they cooperated.

This still leaves the issue of a small band of do-good "thieves" policing Limsa's underbelly (how have they not been overrun and wiped out by other gangs and crews is beyond me, especially given their guild's single, static hideout). If you take Limsa at its in-game size and population, it makes sense. If you go by lore and the implications that Limsa is bigger and more densely populated than it appears in-game, then rogues' ability to enforce the code becomes much more questionable.

(Milala is supposed to be a character that you love to root against, I didn't find her smirk(s) to be creepy so much as taunting.)