Hydaelyn Role-Players
Would Eorzeans ever actually use horses IC? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Would Eorzeans ever actually use horses IC? (/showthread.php?tid=8805)

Pages: 1 2

Would Eorzeans ever actually use horses IC? - Marisa - 10-29-2014

Obviously horses are a very rare import, but I'm wondering, now that the public has been a bit warmed up to the idea by Heavensturn, would private organizations or even the Grand Companies ever entertain the thought of using horses in war, as far as IC? I mean the 100 FL wins awards a horse, but I wasn't certain if that was canon or not. 
I can certainly see why one would opt for a horse over a horse-bird (and not just because I upgraded my unicorn to a Sleipnir this morning). Though not as maneuverable as a chocobo, a horse would presumably be faster and more stable (as far as tripping or getting knocked over)  but at the same time, I'm not sure Eorzeans are open-minded enough to appreciate the strengths of a horse as a war animal. 

Thoughts?

RE: Would Eorzeans ever actually use horses IC? - TheShii - 10-29-2014

I don't see why it couldn't be viable. I mean where chocobo's are far more common and quite agile, there are plenty of other options for Eorzeans in the end. Give them a chance to get a feel for the beasts and I'm sure some important people could be really taken by their power.

So where chocobo's are easy, in great numbers and still the most common, the horses could easily be trained for war, possibly in smaller numbers, or maybe as something officers obtain since they're not nearly as common as the chocobo and are a lot more sturdy and powerful than them, so could be seen as status too. *shrugs*

I certainly could imagine a handful of possibilities Smile

RE: Would Eorzeans ever actually use horses IC? - Marisa - 10-29-2014

(10-29-2014, 02:14 AM)TheShii Wrote: I don't see why it couldn't be viable. I mean where chocobo's are far more common and quite agile, there are plenty of other options for Eorzeans in the end. Give them a chance to get a feel for the beasts and I'm sure some important people could be really taken by their power.

So where chocobo's are easy, in great numbers and still the most common, the horses could easily be trained for war, possibly in smaller numbers, or maybe as something officers obtain since they're not nearly as common as the chocobo and are a lot more sturdy and powerful than them, so could be seen as status too. *shrugs*

I certainly could imagine a handful of possibilities Smile

For that matter, I wonder if any nation has ever actually attempted to domesticate coeurls for riding?

If wild animals can be domesticated in rl, I don't see why it isn't completely unheard of that someone has tried to domesticate them either. It obviously won't be easy (cats be bitches yo) but find a method and people will try anything once hahaha

they'll probably never become as mainstream as chocobo's or even horses for that matter, just for the pure fact I imagine their nature makes most people uneasy for everyday or normal use. But that's just a random thought, especially since you take into account they're not regular big cats but kinda like... lizard... cat things? xD

RE: Would Eorzeans ever actually use horses IC? - LiadansWhisper - 10-29-2014

In terms of suitability, there's a reason why the horse carried human civilization, and not the Ostrich.

I'm still curious as to whether Chocobos have hollow bones at all.

RE: Would Eorzeans ever actually use horses IC? - Oroban - 10-29-2014

Aren't chocobos strictly regulated by Ishgard, though? Like...regulated to the point where they keep the females and you can't even breed them outside of the nation? If that's the case, I can see horses catching on simply as a way around the monopoly held on the birds, honestly.

RE: Would Eorzeans ever actually use horses IC? - Marisa - 10-29-2014

(10-29-2014, 02:52 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: In terms of suitability, there's a reason why the horse carried human civilization, and not the Ostrich.

I'm still curious as to whether Chocobos have hollow bones at all.

Well of course horses are obviously the superior choice, but we're also viewing that from our own cultural perspective. Real-world humans also tend to take the stance that technology makes everything better, while the Eorzeans have very mixed feelings about it. 

They're a good-spirited people, but not an open-minded people.

Quote:Aren't chocobos strictly regulated by Ishgard, though? Like...regulated to the point where they keep the females and you can't even breed them outside of the nation? If that's the case, I can see horses catching on simply as a way around the monopoly held on the birds, honestly.

That's a very valid point, though.

RE: Would Eorzeans ever actually use horses IC? - Roswyn - 10-29-2014

I think it really comes down to a social/cultural thing. They obviously aren't a necessity and imagine the situation in reverse. If some new, weird two legged beast of burden was introduced to you and you'd developed a reliance on horses you'd probably be like "Ew, get that weird bird-thing out of here my horse is just fine."

That's how I imagine Eorzeans feeling about horses. There would have to be some sort of situation where the animals are needed as more than a novelty to really develop a demand. I can see them being used as less glamorous and "hidden" beasts of burden akin to mules and donkeys perhaps. "I couldn't afford a chocobo so..."

RE: Would Eorzeans ever actually use horses IC? - Nero - 10-29-2014

Did they ever establish where the horses in Eorzea come from? Are they bred in Eorzea? Imported from elsewhere? There's a lot of gaps to fill.

RE: Would Eorzeans ever actually use horses IC? - Seriphyn - 10-29-2014

After witnessing dazzling demonstrations of how a warsteed might turn the tide of battle, the Grand Companies of Eorzea emptied their coffers at the feet of the Far Eastern uma bugyo, each seeking to put themselves at an advantage during Frontline campaigns.

Hoof to neigh, Eorzea knows not the horse for one reason: the horsebird. - Uma Bugyo

RE: Would Eorzeans ever actually use horses IC? - Roswyn - 10-29-2014

(10-29-2014, 03:13 AM)Nero Wrote: Did they ever establish where the horses in Eorzea come from? Are they bred in Eorzea? Imported from elsewhere? There's a lot of gaps to fill.

Horses are native to the Doman area I believe. Bunch of kids in the main story arc were commenting on how strange the chocobos were and how different from horses they are.

As far as importing...they could barely get people over here so....maybe 2 horses tops. >_>;

to cover the coeurls, there's this:
[Image: Untitled_zpsf80e34bc.png]

(10-29-2014, 03:02 AM)Oroban Wrote: Aren't chocobos strictly regulated by Ishgard, though? Like...regulated to the point where they keep the females and you can't even breed them outside of the nation? If that's the case, I can see horses catching on simply as a way around the monopoly held on the birds, honestly.

Except that there is at least one female Chocobo at Bentbranch, and another that was bred and produced an egg (and died, apparently). So at least one stable is breeding them.

(10-29-2014, 02:52 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I'm still curious as to whether Chocobos have hollow bones at all.

well, I imagine it might be a might bit thicker anyway, considering the incredibly powerful legs and the incapability for the common chocobo to fly. so having hollow bones wouldn't really benefit them in this phase of their breeding/evolution. that's just a personal theory though.

good food for thought hahaha

(10-29-2014, 03:28 AM)TheShii Wrote:
(10-29-2014, 02:52 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I'm still curious as to whether Chocobos have hollow bones at all.

well, I imagine it might be a might bit thicker anyway, considering the incredibly powerful legs and the incapability for the common chocobo to fly. so having hollow bones wouldn't really benefit them in this phase of their breeding/evolution. that's just a personal theory though.

good food for thought hahaha

Big Grin