Hydaelyn Role-Players
Jobs in Heavensward - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Jobs in Heavensward (/showthread.php?tid=8796)

Jobs in Heavensward - g0ne - 10-28-2014

So, I was reading up about Heavensward, and it got me thinking.

The Dark Knight job (brings back memories, Alternis Dim!!) doesn't need a base class, is that a trend that will follow for all jobs from now on, or will there still be more class evolved jobs as well? And would a player be able to start playing a Dark Knight instantly, or at level 30 like all other jobs? 

Furthermore, 'multiple jobs' is kind of misleading, I think. Dark Knight was revealed at the London Fan Fest and a new job will be revealed at the Tokyo Fan Fest. That's just two, unless they plan on revealing more jobs upto the release of the expansion.

So much for my wish that every class would get a new job, allowing for branching, and so that not every Lancer has to be a Dragoon, every Archer a Bard etc etc. I mean, it's there for Arcanist, right?

And no more classes? Will we not ever get more classes? Only jobs from now on?! Noooooes!! Cry

RE: Jobs in Heavensward - Warren Castille - 10-28-2014

I don't know, I kind of prefer it to be this way. As least from a narrative position, this allows you to get 1-60 in just <job> storyline, instead of having your guild story end at 30 and effectively splitting your content in half. The idea of branching classes seemed interesting but doesn't quite work on paper: GLD and MRD both have enmity-boosting attacks and are very defined by their skills and their abilities. For example, if Red Mage was a split from GLD, it has no spells besides flash! There would only be the level 30-60 quests to unlock new abilities and even then, they'd be stuck with defensive cooldowns that don't really make for RDM-feeling abilities. Red Mages shouldn't be throwing shields!

Classes just feel clunky to me. They were what 1.0 launched with because the team at the time decided that the way to make a new FF MMO was to strip out the iconic jobs entirely. It wasn't until Yoshi got attached to the game after it tanked that he added jobs in properly. The original game didn't even have chocobos in it, and they showed one in the original teaser!

RE: Jobs in Heavensward - Roswyn - 10-28-2014

From a storytelling/literary standpoint, I love the way jobs build out of classes.

From a game design standpoint, it sucks.

That being said, I want them to find a way to make each job more unique like Dark Knight without gutting established lore. Because...

I might rip my hair out. No joke.

RE: Jobs in Heavensward - Warren Castille - 10-28-2014

We can presumably look forward to 2 more job quests (55 and 60) with the expansion, so I imagine we'll see some more ideas fleshed out. I'm mostly curious to the DRK lore and how it'll fit into the expansion. Presumably there's going to be a pool of them somewhere doing their work and we'll fall in with them, but without any hints at all, it's ambiguous.

Yoshi's referred to ARR and the 2.x series as the "learn to play" portion of the world, with the real game coming in 3.0 and beyond. I'm ready to leave the remnants of 1.0 behind and if classes need to go, I'm able to accept that. Honestly, nothing compares with the 1.0 Gladiator storyline for me class-wise (They made you FIGHT on the Bloodsands! You had to emote at people to have them throw gil at you!) but they can't really bring that back. That's also fine.

I just want a greatsword.

RE: Jobs in Heavensward - Seriphyn - 10-29-2014

I just wonder what the non-dark knight in-universe term for someone who wields a greatsword would be...

RE: Jobs in Heavensward - OttoVann - 10-29-2014

I legit figured darknight would come with Gladiator. Wow

RE: Jobs in Heavensward - Marisa - 10-29-2014

(10-29-2014, 03:54 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: I just wonder what the non-dark knight in-universe term for someone who wields a greatsword would be...
We could go with the german Zweihander!

RE: Jobs in Heavensward - Steel Wolf - 11-02-2014

Considering Dark Knight starts at level 1 instead of level 30, that means we're getting a whole new set of skills and abilities to play with from the word go.

That has me VERY excite. :>

RE: Jobs in Heavensward - crowmeleon - 11-02-2014

So far the two I've heard people talking about seriously are dark knight and chemist, the latter being something of tantamount rumor, despite how it piques my personal interest. I really think they should have done the healer class this patch, and then the tank/dps class at the same time. All this queue bloating would have been so much more manageable. 

Is is even possible to have queue times not bottlenecked by tanks or healers? I'm not sure I've ever seen it but surely it's possible, no? I doubt it will happen, just because my first thought was "Well then is the best time to level NIN, I guess", so I'm sure a lot of people are planning to do just that. 

I don't play dps classes so I don't know how you guys deal with the queues.

RE: Jobs in Heavensward - Parvacake - 11-02-2014

For me, as long as I see something with guns I'm happy. But chemist is a big one I keep hearing from people, and contrary to what some are speculating I'm pretty sure the 007 hint was just a way of emphasizing 'guns' and not an 'agent'. Though I'm also fully prepared to be wrong with this.

RE: Jobs in Heavensward - Erik Mynhier - 11-02-2014

(10-29-2014, 03:54 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: I just wonder what the non-dark knight in-universe term for someone who wields a greatsword would be...

Kale, I believe the term that will come to be used will be "Badass".

RE: Jobs in Heavensward - Zyrusticae - 11-02-2014

(11-02-2014, 10:37 AM)crowmeleon Wrote: Is is even possible to have queue times not bottlenecked by tanks or healers? I'm not sure I've ever seen it but surely it's possible, no?
If they released the classes in batches of 1:1:2 tank:healer:dps, this wouldn't be a problem.

But of course, they want the class released as an incentive to subscribe, so they're obviously not willing to do that. Unfortunate, but them's the breaks.

As for the tank role itself, I am under the impression that it would be more popular if they removed the damage penalty on the tank stances (Shield Oath & Defiance). I say this because tanks in Aion are both sturdy and deal raucous amounts of damage and are consequently some of the most popular classes in the game (though obviously they don't deal as much damage or have as much CC as the DPS classes - just more like 85% instead of 66%).

RE: Jobs in Heavensward - TheLastCandle - 11-02-2014

(11-02-2014, 11:00 AM)Lilithium Wrote: For me, as long as I see something with guns I'm happy. But chemist is a big one I keep hearing from people, and contrary to what some are speculating I'm pretty sure the 007 hint was just a way of emphasizing 'guns' and not an 'agent'. Though I'm also fully prepared to be wrong with this.

This is what I think, too. Although, at the same time, if the class does have ties with the Yellowjackets it's possible that the job's story will involve some sort of agent/spy/detective role acting on the thalassocracy's behalf, say, to infiltrate a pirate gang, or a smuggler ring, or something. Which could be interesting if done right!

RE: Jobs in Heavensward - Edgar - 11-02-2014

(11-02-2014, 11:53 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote:

The quintessential Black Knight was also known for wielding a Greatsword.

However, seeing as the Greatsword is a Renaissance weapon, you could go with the Doppelsöldner (double-pay earner). These were Landsknechte (mercenaries) in Germany who were payed double to be on the front lines, and schooled in the use of the Zweihänder.

RE: Jobs in Heavensward - Erik Mynhier - 11-02-2014

(11-02-2014, 02:41 PM)Edgar Wrote:
(11-02-2014, 11:53 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote:

The quintessential Black Knight was also known for wielding a Greatsword.

However, seeing as the Greatsword is a Renaissance weapon, you could go with the Doppelsöldner (double-pay earner). These were Landsknechte (mercenaries) in Germany who were payed double to be on the front lines, and schooled in the use of the Zweihänder.

Always loved the name Landsknecht. They were notable for their effectiveness against lancers. With the Dragoon so prominent in the 3.0 trailer, that may be a hint to their Lore.