Hydaelyn Role-Players
Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon (/showthread.php?tid=8647)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - Aldotsk - 10-14-2014

A question between player's opinions, how many straws would you pull to actually use Blacklist function on someone? First offense? Second offense?

If an IC RP goes bad, would you be blacklisting right away ? Or discuss it in OOC first and settle it out - and then blacklist if the opposite party is literally being obnoxious and starts picking a fight?

Would you blacklist someone without any explanation or warning through OOCly?

Would you blacklist someone in-game because you don't like someone through forums?

Try not to respond if this is a sensitive topic to you. I'd like to hear people's opinions.

RE: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - Nebbs - 10-14-2014

Nusance, like spamming emotes or sitting on me or being so unsociable I don't want to hear them. And I don't tell I just BL and move on.

RE: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - Melodia - 10-14-2014

I have not had to blacklist for IC rp reasons. I'm not sure I would.

But! I have blacklisted three players in my time.

One was a stranger who wanted to ERP. I said no, so she started harassing me and my friends, accusing me of all sorts of things. She even made an alt to kind of stalk me around (fun...?) and harass me still. I had to report to the GM and discuss it with them. She was blacklisted.

Two and three were friends of mine who I found out were bullying another very good friend of mine to the point where she was thinking of quitting the game. I confronted both and they began to swear and yell at me like I was the bad person, lots of threats and cruel comments (from people I'd thought of as friends the day before) and decided blacklisting was the proper way.

If someone is a jerk OOCly I will blacklist. I don't pay money to waste my time dealing with mean people. Jerk=blacklist. Period.

RE: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - Warren Castille - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 09:33 AM)Aldotsk Wrote: A question between player's opinions, how many straws would you pull to actually use Blacklist function on someone? First offense? Second offense?

If an IC RP goes bad, would you be blacklisting right away ? Or discuss it in OOC first and settle it out - and then blacklist if the opposite party is literally being obnoxious and starts picking a fight?

Would you blacklist someone without any explanation or warning through OOCly?

Would you blacklist someone in-game because you don't like someone through forums?

Try not to respond if this is a sensitive topic to you. I'd like to hear people's opinions.

If I no longer want to hear what you're saying (be it OOCly, ICly, or whatevercly) I blacklist you. I generally don't make a point of announcing it. That said, I do point out when I'm turning off a linkshell because the conversation is unbearable.

RE: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - Berrod Armstrong - 10-14-2014

Harassment in or out of game, usually. Otherwise I just disregard what's being said. There are cases when someone is being an unnecessarily awful person when I would do it as well. 

Otherwise, it could be on a whim, though that has hardly ever happened.

RE: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - FreelanceWizard - 10-14-2014

My blacklist is made up of gil sellers, basically. Smile There's one exception: way back around launch, there was a guy who was running around spamming every channel with advertisements for his anti-RP linkshell. I eventually got sick of it and blacklisted him.

I've yet to run into any significant griefing, though that's a situation where I've employed the blacklist in other games. Harassment would be another example. I personally wouldn't use the blacklist just because some IC interaction went awry; it's pretty much a last resort for me, because I basically never remove someone from the list once they're there. Given my thoughts on its use, there's no reason for me to tell someone that they're going on the list.

But again, my blacklist is one obnoxious guy and a bunch of gil sellers. Smile

RE: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - Coatleque - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 09:39 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: If I no longer want to hear what you're saying (be it OOCly, ICly, or whatevercly) I blacklist you.

So that's why my whispers are going unanswered!

j/k

I've not had to blacklist anyone yet. If they were harassing me, I would. If they're just being a jerk, I tend to tune them out with selective reading.

RE: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-14-2014

I generally reserve my blacklist for bots, spammers, and malicious people. Regardless of what someone says, my curiosity would likely get the better of me if I blacklisted someone and saw half a conversation.

I'd much rather work out whatever issues I may have with a person IC, and then OOC if needed. If I get sick of reading, then I'll just skip over it. I have too many linkshell filters set up to want to both trying to manage a blacklist, and have seen cases where a person is fine in one linkshell, but not another.

In the rare occasion my chatbox is being flooded by comments I don't particularly care for, I may add the offending party to what I'll call a "temp blacklist", where I BL people until I relocate, and then take them off the blacklist. This has only happened during /extremely/ busy times when there are simply too many players on to give proper attention to, or if I need to log something and don't feel like cleaning up 40 pages of not-my-logs.

RE: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - Jancis - 10-14-2014

Typically for spamming without question.

Harassment the same.

Another good reason to is when someone is overly emotional and will not listen, ranting on in the height of their emotion instead of stepping away and calming down.

Really regardless of the reasons people feel the need to give themselves space from another person it is a personal reason and shouldn't be overly examined. It's a bit of a futile trek to go on trying to understand someone else's reasons or, more importantly, let it become a bother or enrage.

It's not a hit on my character as a person if someone blacklists me, we simply couldn't communicate and need distance from each other. Or we clash. It happens.

More importantly, I do not try to circumvent a blacklist. I don't get other people involved in public channels and try to talk to or about them via that.

Also, people shouldn't feel having a blacklist is some kind of mark against themselves. It's the Rule of Investment - how much time you spend on people that really don't deserve your time, how much time they take from you which doesn't get spent on people who do deserve your time and attention. Don't neglect good people with others you simply don't get along with for whatever reason it might be. Overall, it won't be a big deal as long as you don't make it one for yourself.

Heart

RE: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 10:02 AM)Jancis Wrote: Typically for spamming without question.

Harassment the same.

Another good reason to is when someone is overly emotional and will not listen, ranting on in the height of their emotion instead of stepping away and calming down.

Really regardless of the reasons people feel the need to give themselves space from another person it is a personal reason and shouldn't be overly examined. It's a bit of a futile trek to go on trying to understand someone else's reasons or, more importantly, let it become a bother or enrage.

It's not a hit on my character as a person if someone blacklists me, we simply couldn't communicate and need distance from each other. Or we clash. It happens.

More importantly, I do not try to circumvent a blacklist. I don't get other people involved in public channels and try to talk to or about them via that.

Also, people shouldn't feel having a blacklist is some kind of mark against themselves. It's the Rule of Investment - how much time you spend on people that really don't deserve your time, how much time they take from you which doesn't get spent on people who do deserve your time and attention. Don't neglect good people with others you simply don't get along with for whatever reason it might be. Overall, it won't be a big deal as long as you don't make it one for yourself.

Heart
^The time investment is spot-on. Let's also remember we pay for this game. It it waste of time AND money to spend getting mad at someone.

RE: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - C'kayah Polaali - 10-14-2014

Mine is made up mainly of gil sellers. The rest of it is people who spam chatty emotes ("Spanky McBottom grins tauntingly at Flatulent Roegadyn") over and over and over. And, IIRC, that same anti-RP guy that FLW has on his blacklist.

RE: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - Mr. Wolfdog - 10-14-2014

I blacklist Gil sellers sometimes, but I rarely hear back from the same one anyway so why bother? Aside from that I generally just don't care to regardless of how people are acting. Generally speaking it's just that if a behavior irritates me I only care so long as it continues, I would hate to miss out on interacting with a cool person if I prematurely blacklisted them for just having an off day.

RE: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - Warren Castille - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 10:00 AM)Coatleque Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 09:39 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: If I no longer want to hear what you're saying (be it OOCly, ICly, or whatevercly) I blacklist you.

So that's why my whispers are going unanswered!

j/k

I've not had to blacklist anyone yet. If they were harassing me, I would. If they're just being a jerk, I tend to tune them out with selective reading.

Reasons whispers go unanswered, trufax version:

1) I walk away from my computer constantly in the evening and never read the log

2) Until recently, I spent my time at keys jumping in and out of primals for sweet, sweet Nexus lights (so worth it).

I should trim my blacklist down again. It was largely gil seller spam, and I think anyone left on it now is likely gone. The taco-seller "roleplayer" comes to mind.

RE: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - Blue - 10-14-2014

Emote spam, OOC harassment, RP griefing and shout FC advertisement are my usual blacklist choices... However I also give temporary blacklist to RPers who emote things that make me uneasy (such as getting physical, kissing, and unnecessary descriptive paragraphs of their body parts and movements). I'll blacklist for as long as we're in the same /say range, after that I usually remove them from blacklisting.

I am guilty of oversensitivity and a prude, but I also feel I don't really need to read of your "luxuriously sanguine lips" and of how they run all over your fiancé's face. Frustrated

ThumbsupPlease take account of the sensitivity of those around your /say range and move that stuff to /party or /tells chat please. I'm not happy to blacklist RPers.

RE: Blacklist - Player's Last Method Weapon - Maia - 10-14-2014

Like most people, I think my blacklist primarily consists of gilsellers. I can't say that I've ever blacklisted a fellow RPer, so maybe I've been lucky in my interactions so far?

I'm also pretty quick to blacklist anyone who's spamming emotes though, even if it's happening in a place like Revenant's Toll. (If I'm trying to get my business done there and talking to my FC or LS, it's just too distracting. On the other hand, If I'm not grounded to the location of the emote spam, I'll just walk away. It's more of an "I can't keep track of my conversations so I need to do this" thing than an "I hate j00 because you're spamming" thing.)

If someone starts loudly talking (shouting?) about how annoying RPers are in response to me RPing, I blacklist them.

In whatever case, I never say anything to the person I'm blacklisting. I just do it and move on with my day.

Blacklisting someone because of something they said on the forums seems like it would take way too much work for me. I'll at least give them a chance to offend me in game before I go to that measure. Wink