Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] Rich people where we at - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] Rich people where we at (/showthread.php?tid=8561)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Rich people where we at - OttoVann - 10-08-2014

Who all roleplays as wealthy people IC? (Bonus if you can back it OOC).

Sometimes I feel a bit....limited in my character at times since most people lack millions IC and there can be a bit of a lack of common ground.

I'm not sure what I am looking for exactly but I don't want to have like twirling mustaches as we light cigars with hundred dollar bills and rest our feet on the backs of slaves as we sit and laugh about unfunny shit.

But I figure this is a good place to start. Who all is wealthy IC? From there maybe something can be figured out.

RE: Rich people where we at - Warren Castille - 10-08-2014

(10-08-2014, 10:31 AM)OttoVann Wrote: Who all roleplays as wealthy people IC? (Bonus if you can back it OOC).

Sometimes I feel a bit....limited in my character at times since most people lack millions IC and there can be a bit of a lack of common ground.

I'm not sure what I am looking for exactly but I don't want to have like twirling mustaches as we light cigars with hundred dollar bills and rest our feet on the backs of slaves as we sit and laugh about unfunny shit.

But I figure this is a good place to start. Who all is wealthy IC? From there maybe we can figure something out.

Warren is, in a roundabout way. It's a bit of backstory that never really came up, but the short of it is he invests well and has low demand for things in life so he's fairly well off. The blue collar security guard who might one day just go buy an island.

RE: Rich people where we at - Aldotsk - 10-08-2014

Something that Otto doesn't know:

Anelia is adopted as a noble and she does inherit enough money for supplies.

Never said royalists had to be dirt poor.

RE: Rich people where we at - Parvacake - 10-08-2014

Lili is rather well off herself. She has more gil then many would suspect, but it's all been squirreled away to give to her children when she passes. So as a product of keeping that wealth in savings, she lives modestly.

RE: Rich people where we at - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-08-2014

There's an aspect of Franz that is wealthy, but I don't tend to RP it out because it was kind of a copout. In the simplest manner, there are some Ishgardian ties to wealth he keeps under wraps. Besides, what would a Garlean do with all that gil? ICly, he just bums around because he has a decent amount of money and no job. There's no desire to get more gil, and he's basically living like some person on retirement. A good meal here and there, a good drink. Has a few sets of clothes, but nothing super-amazing. Can't contact his family, so there's no child support or nameday presents. Doesn't really gift anything to anyone.

...as for actually having said gil in-game, I'm usually sitting at around 2-4mil to be irresponsible and buy crafting materials. Currently working on getting LTW melded up, and then probably ARM and BSM so I can make some fancy armor.

(WVR and ALC are melded up for 3star crafts.)

RE: Rich people where we at - Stormwind - 10-08-2014

Alexander is rather wealthy. He deals in a great deal of "confiscated" magitek and allagan relics (legal or otherwise) for his research. He uses his money mostly to afford him privacy and a level of influence in Ul'dah, and to keep more "upright" individuals or groups out of his affairs.

RE: Rich people where we at - Blue - 10-08-2014

Chiara is an upper-class of the Ul'dahn society. She ICly owns a manor in the Ul'dahn residential area (not the Goblet), an area off-limits to commoners. I have occasionally used the Haukke Manor instance with my friends to RP scenes on the inside, after OOCly clearing the rooms we needed. Just a shame seats there don't work.

(10-08-2014, 10:59 AM)Blue Wrote: Chiara is an upper-class of the Ul'dahn society. She ICly owns a manor in the Ul'dahn residential area (not the Goblet), an area off-limits to commoners. I have occasionally used the Haukke Manor instance with my friends to RP scenes on the inside, after OOCly clearing the rooms we needed. Just a shame seats there don't work.
This is a great idea, I never actually thought about this. Still working on that large Goblet manor OOCly too so I might have to borrow this Haukke idea.

RE: Rich people where we at - CrookedTarot - 10-08-2014

Crooked Tarot is very wealthy, though he is a miser and sees money more as a means than an end. He wouldn't likely sit around with other rich folks unless he was planning on swindling, extorting or stealing from them shortly thereafter.

My Lalafell, however...

Zozola Zola de Chocola IX, Daughter of Chocola Choco, is a rich bitch to 11. I created her to be that way--of course she's also a child and prodigy. I wanted to make essentially a melt down of tropes and try to make her into a playable character.

Anyway...SHE would be the one to go to if you wanted to light cigars with hundred dollar bills while STANDING on the back of slaves stacked on top of one another WHILE laughing derisively and hiding her mouth behind her hand.

Yeah. She's THAT kinda gal.

RE: Rich people where we at - OttoVann - 10-08-2014

Gosh no one seems to be publicly wealthy and at least marginally act as such. Maybe I'm doing it wrong

RE: Rich people where we at - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-08-2014

(10-08-2014, 11:21 AM)OttoVann Wrote: Gosh no one seems to be publicly wealthy and at least marginally act as such.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong

Now, you're doing excellently. There just aren't a lot of people who are ICly as wealthy. 

...and if there are, they don't flaunt it like an Ul'dahn person probably would.

--

I'm not sure how much gil would be ICly well-off, but I'd put Franz in that Middle-Class, maybe slightly leaning to Upper-Middle-Class zone. He's not going to be buying a house, but he could live comfortably.

RE: Rich people where we at - Blue - 10-08-2014

(10-08-2014, 11:21 AM)OttoVann Wrote: Gosh no one seems to be publicly wealthy and at least marginally act as such.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong
Chiara is publicly wealthy, though her recent friendship with some adventurers has brought her to not flaunt it with arrogance. For example, the other day she gifted them with a couple of her Draught Chocobos (she has a whole stable of them ICly and has them compete in show jumping).

Being a goldsmith in Ul'dah is a pretty easy way to get wealthy quickly (though, she was born wealthy herself).

RE: Rich people where we at - OttoVann - 10-08-2014

I don't think I flaunt it much. Sometimes I will say "I'll give you a million gil" for this that or the other but I mean...Otto lacks economy of scale he just sees offering a million as 'fair' for their time and effort for this arbitrary example-task.

I dunno, I certainly dress like I am though. I practically refuse to wear 'adventuring' clothes. Suits only please. Its extremely rare for me to wear anything even made of leather IC.

RE: Rich people where we at - Kylin - 10-08-2014

Spoiled rich heir, represent!

Kylin has been playing the 'rich kid' card since 2010~

He hasn't really earned any of said wealth up until now. It's all his daddy's. He lives in the Ul'dahn Felstar Manor, and makes that no secret. He helps run the family's owned museum (determining exhibits and also planning excavation projects).

According to the RPC Census awhile back, the number of overall IC wealthy players is actually rather representative of what it realistically -should- be. Which is a pleasant surprise.

Alexander is very publicly wealthy, just not a very public person. His clothes however are tailored and even modified to enhance his aetheric ability. I wear the allagan set OOCly but ICly they are clothes of his own design that he had tailored and modified.