Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) (/showthread.php?tid=8481)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - PkThunda - 10-03-2014

(10-03-2014, 08:42 PM)Aysun Wrote: Interesting, yes, and keeping it classy! When you start charging real gil for ERP and call your character a courtesan.. that's when I have to go 'WTF NO?' though. >_>

I actually do this.
I incorporate ERP into my roleplay, but to discourage my RP devolving to just ERP (which is fine for some, but not my mission) I do actually charge real gil when someone is interested in that aspect.

This keeps my pockets full, but also makes sure that I am roleplaying in a general, public sense more often than not.

I do not have anything against those who do, for the most part, ERP while giving their character the title of courtesan- it is an aspect of the job in a way, after all.
I have made this guide for those players, and others interested, to see what the title actually means and to help inspire them in their personal stories and plotlines.

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - PkThunda - 10-04-2014

The Tawaif section is up!

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - PkThunda - 10-05-2014

Tayuu and Oiran are now up!
Sorry it's so big- it's one of the sections I know most about.

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - PkThunda - 10-08-2014

Kisaeng have been posted!

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - PkThunda - 10-10-2014

And now Cortigiana Onesta/Di Lume are up!

Again, everyone is free to comment or ask questions if you have them!

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - PkThunda - 10-11-2014

Mistresses are now covered!
Woo, that was a long one.

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - PkThunda - 10-12-2014

And the guide is now done! Thank you for being patient on it- as you can see, it was a lot of work (14 paged! I should get a history degree Tongue)

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - Antain - 10-12-2014

Thank you for this Heart It has been most informative!

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - Ciel - 10-12-2014

This all was a very interesting read, clearly a lot of research went into it.  Well done.

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - Telluride - 10-13-2014

*whistles* Love it! I haven't seen this detailed a guide for the RP Profession in any RP forums for any other game - this one could go cross-platform!

Perhaps I'll encounter Z'zhumii again, and offer a little backup instrumental for her next singing appointment.

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - Siha - 10-13-2014

All of this was extremely informative and well written, thank you for taking the time to make it. Very well done!

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - C'kayah Polaali - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 03:55 PM)Siha Wrote: All of this was extremely informative and well written, thank you for taking the time to make it. Very well done!

Siha read the Courtesan Compendium...

...and found it informative...

Quote:I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - Siha - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 05:29 PM)Ckayah Tia Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 03:55 PM)Siha Wrote: All of this was extremely informative and well written, thank you for taking the time to make it. Very well done!

Quote:I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

I...I CAN READ THINGS. F-For educational purposes!

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - C'kayah Polaali - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 10:48 PM)Siha Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 05:29 PM)Ckayah Tia Wrote:

I...I CAN READ THINGS. F-For educational purposes!

How're you doing, Siha? You never call...

RE: The Courtesan Compendium (A Guide) - PkThunda - 10-21-2014

A bit of an after thought-

Should anyone be interested in movies/shows/documentaries regarding some of the Courtesan types and stories listed here, I have some links to share!

Tayuu/Oiran:
A movie called "Sakuran" is a fictional, stylized movie based on a Manga. Here is the trailer for it- If you do decide to watch it, I have to warn you that it is very hard to find a decent torrent to download, and expensive to buy.
LINK

For those curious about the famous walk, here is a good example from the movie "Yoshiwara Enjo";
LINK

Cortigiana Onesta/Di Lume:
Veronica Franco inspired a movie about her life, called "Dangerous Beauty", which is very pretty but also terribly fluffy in nature (so full of cheese and sop). They also seemed to have spent their entire budget on costume and thus the one 'fight' scene is hilariously sad.
You can find it on Netflix, but here is the link to the trailer.
LINK

Mistresses:
This is how you know I am a giant history nerd; I have a favorite historian.
Lucy Worsley has made many mini documentaries on historical happenings from how the house has evolved over time, to fashion in the Elizabethan era.
She made a very good series called "Harlots, Housewives, and Heroines", the one based on Mistresses linked here;
LINK 

Another good documentary for the french is the Versailles trilogy that follows the Kings Louis 14, 15, and 16.
Louise XIV
Louise XV
Louise XVI 

(I especially like the description of Du Berry in the Louise XV episode- I can't help but laugh every time.)

Until I see more, and of the other kinds of courtesans, I have no more to recommend.
Tell me if you enjoy these! I always like to know if someone has learned something interesting or are at least amused by the films.