Hydaelyn Role-Players
Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do (/showthread.php?tid=8218)

Pages: 1 2

Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do - Pumpkinweed - 09-08-2014

Hello again!

It's another one of those fun question times! So, say that Square implemented a limit break system that was NOT shared but single player used? What would it be called and what would it do?

Every popular Final Fantasy character has one and we all like one more than another (I love Zidane's Dyne abilities and Vaan's Pyroclasm)!

If I had to decide one for Gus, it would be "Pumpkinheart".

Gus would summon a living pumpkin to fight for him! It would serve as a special pet that has various abilities which when used, drains the limit bar (You can only do 3 actions given the bar has a max level of 3). When it expires, the pet finishes with one final ability. 

These are the moves one can choose from:

Pumpkin Chasm: An AOE attack of pumpkin vines that burst from the earth, infecting the target with nearly every negative status effect (malboro breath).

Jack-o-Lantern: The pumpkin minion shoots balls of fire from its eye sockets, causing powerful fire damage to opponents. 

Vine-Slash: The pumpkin delivers four powerful attacks with its vines.

Spooky Atmosphere: Darkens the area and instills excitement and anxiety into the fellow players, resulting in the status effect: Ghastly (This effect raises total stats by 5%)

When all moves expire, the pumpkin finishes with the move: "Paroxysm" which causes the pumpkin to explode, leaving an AOE attack caused by hundreds of flaming pumpkin seeds barraged at the enemies, causing a DOT burn effect.

I don't think that's too over the top as a limit!

What would YOUR character's move be called and what would it do?
Can't wait to hear!
[Image: 1194984146175437061zucca_architetto_fran...vg.med.png]

Mod note by FreelanceWizard: Shortened the subject so that replies don't throw an error due to subject length.

RE: - Zyrusticae - 09-08-2014

I like this idea, and really, I wish they would go back to a per-individual limit break system.

Unfortunately, T'rahnu doesn't really have any special talents or quirks conducive to creating particularly unique limit breaks, so instead she would just use one of these depending on her weapon:

Spear
Level I
Cross-Slash
: Single enhanced physical attack with three slices. Deals physical damage with 2000 potency and inflicts paralysis. (To my knowledge there are no attacks for PCs currently that cause paralysis, making the status effect unique to this LB.)

Level II
Climhazzard
: Stabs the enemy, then jumps upward while dragging the blade across the enemy. Deals physical damage with 5300 potency.

Level III
Finishing Touch
: After charging, jumps upward with incredible force, creating a violent updraft dealing elementally neutral magic damage with 2800 potency to all nearby enemies, then lands with a violent crash dealing physical damage with 2800 potency within the same radius.

Axe
Level I
Braver
: Single enhanced physical attack with a jumping downward slash. Deals physical damage with 2300 potency.

Level II
Blade Beam
: Strikes and unleashes a wave of energy at a single enemy dealing physical damage with 4000 potency while releasing secondary shockwaves that deal physical damage with 1000 potency to surrounding enemies. If there is only a single target, the attack deals elementally neutral magic damage with 5000 potency while being calculated using physical attack.

Level III
Grand Braver
: Jumps upward dealing two downward slashes ala Braver, but rather than exploding the cross shape is marked on the ground before jumping down for a massively powerful swing. Deals physical damage with 9000 potency.
(DPS job for MRD when, Squeenix?!)

Bow
Level I
Big Shot
: Fires a huge, aetherically enhanced arrow at a single enemy for physical damage with 2300 potency.

Level II
Explosive Arrow
: Launches an explosive arrow at the enemy, dealing physical damage with 5000 potency if there is only a single target, but can hit multiple targets for less.

Level III
Angermax (Ungarmax)
: Launches a rapid-fire hail of 18 arrows at random hostile targets. Each arrow deals physical damage with 500 potency for a total of 9000 potency.

Fists
Level I
Beat Rush
: Assaults the enemy with a dazzling combination. Deals physical damage with 2300 potency.

Level II
Meteodrive
: Performs a suplex on the enemy. Deals physical damage with 5000 potency and looks incredibly silly.

Level III
Final Heaven
: Yes, the same one. Deals physical damage with 9000 potency. Also, PGL/MNK should be the only class able to use this. Seriously. Wtf, Squeenix?

RE: Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do - FreelanceWizard - 09-08-2014

Let's do this. Smile L'yhta's limit breaks are usable with any Disciple of Magic arm, giving her the magical versatility for which she's known.

Level 1: Arcanima Amplification. L'yhta draws a complex arcanima geometry in the air, then casts her next spell through it. The next spell cast has its potency and area of effect tripled, but retains the same MP cost and casting time. Total potency with Flare in Astral Fire III is usually around 1100.

Level 2: Spell Fury. This uses the same animation as the standard caster Limit Break 3. The next spell cast is cast eight times on random eligible targets within range. The spell retains the same casting time, but consumes all MP. Total potency with Flare in Astral Fire III is usually around 2900, but the randomness of targeting usually reduces this on large groups.

Level 3: Quick II. L'yhta jams her staff into the ground and a giant white flash engulfs the room for a fraction of a second. All enemy animations stop, along with all background music -- except for the sound of a metronome during the effect's duration. For 8 seconds, all enemies are Stunned, regardless of any immunities they may have to this effect, including the effects of diminishing returns. Additionally, all abilities that are currently on cooldown for all party members are immediately recharged. All buffs on party members gain 8 seconds of duration upon the Limit Break's activation, and all TP and MP are restored.

RE: If you could customize a limit break only YOUR character could do, what would it be? - Melkire - 09-08-2014

(09-08-2014, 05:24 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: Also, PGL/MNK should be the only class able to use this. Seriously. Wtf, Squeenix?

Soooo with you there.

Osric's an experienced rogue, a piss-poor marauder, and a fledgling monk. Uhhh... going to leave the axe out of it. Proficiency a go-go!

Daggers
Level I
Rend: Closes the distance and tears a large gash in the target.

Level II
Lacerate: Darts forward, slicing high the target, before darting back to the original position, slicing low.

Level III
Incise: Omnislash, but not. 'cause daggers instead of swords. Resembles Xu Shu's DW7:E musou.

Fists
Level I
Contempt: Backhands the target, then slams them with a hook, and then repeats for added insult and injury.

Level II
Dirt Nap: Grabs the target by the head, or whatever approximates one, then drags them down and behind him as he slams them into the ground. This is very appropriate, given that Osric's basic concept started out a long time ago as the Dagger moveset from SCIII.

Level III
Final Heaven: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Y'know how BLMs gush about Meteor? Final Heaven is that for MNKs.

EDIT: myBB, please go die in a fire. I want to post links to specific times in specific YouTube videos, and you won't let me.

RE: Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do - Nero - 09-08-2014

Fists
Level 1: Gil Toss
Level 2: Gil Toss
Level 3: Rude comment, Gil Toss

Sword/Axe
Level 1: Gil Toss
Level 2: Gil Toss
Level 3: Strongly-worded letter, Gil Toss

Thaumaturgy
Level 1: Umbral Gil Toss
Level 2: Astral Gil Toss
Level 3: Giant Scorpion

RE: Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do - Aldotsk - 09-08-2014

(09-08-2014, 07:41 PM)Nero Wrote: Level 3: Giant Scorpion

[Image: Dwayne-Johnson-the-rock-in-scorpion-king.jpg]

Summoning a Primal is illegal :<

RE: Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do - SM Nick - 09-08-2014

Niklas has access to two Limit Breaks for each Level, ala FFVII. His Final Limit Break is so powerful that, despite it also uses all 3 limit bars, it has its own level.

Level 1 (Uses 1 Limit Bar)

Braver: Niklas readies his blade to hit the opponent with a powerful overhead slash.
-Potency: 2000

Shield Slam: Niklas puts forth his power into ramming the opponent with his shield.
-Potency: 1500
-Additional Effect: Stun
 -Duration: 10s

Level 2 (Uses 2 Limit Bars)

Blade Beam: Niklas channels his aether through his sword to send a powerful wave of aether at the target, also sending shockwaves to all nearby enemies.
-Potency: 3000
-Additional Effect: Inflicts damage on other enemies with a potency of 1500

Climhazzard: Using a combination of Aero and his aether, Niklas rushes forth to cleave the opponent in a powerful gale.
-Potency: 2500
-Additional Effect: Inflicts wind-aspected damage over time
 -Potency: 30
 -Duration: 1m

Level 3 (Uses 3 Limit Bars)

Azure Wind: Niklas focuses all of his aether into creating a powerful maelstrom of razor-sharp winds that cut through the opponent like tissue.
-Potency: 4000
-Additional Effect: Inflicts wind-aspected damage over time
 -Potency: 100
 -Duration: 1m

Bladedance: Niklas rushes at the opponent, charging with multiple successive slashes from his blades at many angles until finishing with a great overhead slash.
-Potency: 5000

Level 4 (Final Limit Break, uses 3 Limit Bars)
(Can only be used with Tyrfing and Aegis)

Gran Strike: Niklas puts forth 100% of his power, magic, and aether into Tyrfing and Aegis, resulting in a ferocious onslaught of sword slashes and shield bashes, combining all of his other techniques, culminating in one final slash from above, finishing the opponent.
-Potency: 10000
-Additional Effects: ignores Defense, inflicts wind-aspected damage over time, and inflicts Stun
 -Aero Potency: 200
 -Aero Duration: 1m
 -Stun Duration: 30s

RE: Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do - Titor - 09-08-2014

Stage I:
Umbilic Torus - Encases party in a protective geometrical barrier observing damage (not preventing it) for 8 seconds, then heals the amount of damage taken over time. 

Stage II:
Hypercube - Encases party in a geometric barrier observing damage (not preventing it) for 8 seconds then heals the damage taken over time and directs 40% back at the enemy.

Stage III:
N-Dimensional Demihypercube - Encases party in a geometric barrier preventing most damage for 6 seconds, then redirects 80% of damage prevented back at the enemy.

In other words, you could not grasp the true form of Titor's attack.

RE: Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do - Kellach Woods - 09-08-2014

Assuming this, I'll put an extra condition on myself because otherwise I'd just do something silly that would be extremely inefficient.

- The LB must accurately reflect its effects in a party situation, only brought down to Single Player levels (otherwise I'd just give myself a self-heal and a DPS LB since that's what I'd want most gameplay wise)

Kellach Woods (MAR/WAR)
Lv1 : Raging Kiss
Using his fabulous looks to his advantage, he blows a kiss towards his opponent, using the opponent's own rage against him.
(Inflicts Storm's Path and Storm's Eye debuffs. Instantly grants 5 units of Wrath, changing status to Infuriated. The next use of Inner Beast, Steel Cyclone or Unchained does not remove Infuriated.)

Lv2 : Brave Bastion
A foot in the ground and people to save. None shall pass.
(Applies Foresight, Bloodbath, Vengeance and Berserk. When Berserk expires, Pacification is not applied. The next 2 uses of Inner Beast, Steel Cyclone or Unchained do not remove Infuriated.)

Lv3 : Lambs to the Slaughter
Beckoning the foes before him with a mighty swing of the axe, his fearsome presence terrifies all before him, helplessly drawing them in.
(Draws all within PBAoE towards caster and binds all. Most attacks cannot kill Kellach. Applies Storm's Path and Fracture debuffs. The next 3 uses of Inner Beast, Steel Cyclone or Unchained do not remove Infuriated. Duration : 10 sec.)

I'll do ACN/SCH ACN/SMN later.

RE: Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do - Vysce the Lad - 09-08-2014

Ohhhh OHH!! I wanna put mine down~!

For Caen I have:
~Amber Dawn~

Level 1: Tusslin' Wiff Muh Mitts!
Caen backflips and sprints towards the enemy, punching the enemy in a 360 degree pattern while using chakra to make his yellow shirt glow brightly like the sun to blind the enemy. 20% chance to cast Mantra for free.

Level 2: Earth, Wind, and Fire!
Caen fills his body with raging chakra and summons an aura which expands outward; simultaneously casts Fists of Earth, Fists of Wind, and Fists of Fire granting the entire party the benefits of each buff for 17 seconds.

Level 3: Chocobo Fandango! 
Caen takes a deeeeep breath and whistles loudly, summoning a horde of stampeding chocobos to rush at the enemy or enemies, doing damage to all of them!

ChocoboChocoboChocoboChocoboChocoboChocoboChocoboChocoboChocoboChocoboChocoboChocobo

RE: Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do - Seriphyn - 09-09-2014

I am enjoying people's creative responses! I don't have a post though, since people know my approach to combat RP; Kale would very unlikely pull off anything remotely close to a Limit Break.

Man, if there was a gritty MMO akin to the Witcher universe...

RE: Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do - W'seckhi Asah - 09-09-2014

For Fio, well, this'll be fun.

Level One - Unholy Sever: charging his greatsword with dark magic, he swings the blade at his opponent in an attempt to sever a limb or vital artery, doing respectable damage.

Level Two - Unholy Slaughter: even more energy is channelled into the blade as he tries to cleave his opponent in two. Any nearby enemies that aren't the target are horrified for a short duration.

Level Three - Unholy Reign: Fio does even more damage to the target. Instead of horrifying nearby enemies, he instead palms several daggers out of his armour and flings them towards the vitals of said enemies, doing damage and stunning them.

RE: Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do - Aduu Avagnar - 09-09-2014

(09-09-2014, 12:13 AM)Seriphyn Wrote: I am enjoying people's creative responses! I don't have a post though, since people know my approach to combat RP; Kale would very unlikely pull off anything remotely close to a Limit Break.

Surely it could be attached in someway to your inner beast type thingymajig that you've got going on?

As for Nako, it would be odd to see him doing anything like a limit break given that he can't do the high end stuff that other mages can.

RE: Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do - Berrod Armstrong - 09-09-2014

Hrm. While I occasionally display Berrod's less than ordinary abilities, I wouldn't say he has anything even CLOSE to a limit break. 

BUT I CAN BULLSHIT A COUPLE SO HERE GOES:

Level 1: Bugger off!
A simple straight thrust delivered at melee range, packed with power pulled from the third chakra. The attack itself appears lightning aspected, but still counts as melee damage.

Level 2: Wheel of Fire.
Berrod executes a wheel kick lanced with fire from his fourth chakra; unrestrained as to grant the hit as much power as possible. Ideally, it should return some damage to him as well, but that's not really how limit breaks work.

Level 3: Asura.
A forbidden technique that requires an opened seventh chakra to execute, Asura involves nigh assassination on an aetherial level. Two aetheric faces emerge from the left and right sides of his head, one enraged, and one laughing hysterically. Similarly, two extra aetheric pairs of arms issue from his shoulders. Berrod uses his physical arms to hold the enemy down while the aetheric ones grab and rip large chunks of their aether out. The chunks in the grip of the aetherial arms are then fed to the mouths of the aetheric faces -- which SHOULD result in regained health, but again, limit breaks don't work that way. SO RAWRGH DAMAGE.

For reference, here is a depiction of an asura.

Buuut, Berrod isn't so awesome. Yeah he uses his chakras in a pinch but other than that he's more of a sock 'em, kick 'em, breakdance 'em kinda guy.

RE: Customize a limit break only YOUR character could do - Berrod Armstrong - 09-09-2014

(09-09-2014, 12:13 AM)Seriphyn Wrote: I am enjoying people's creative responses! I don't have a post though, since people know my approach to combat RP; Kale would very unlikely pull off anything remotely close to a Limit Break.

It's unlikely for all of our characters! Make something up and let's see it, I'm terribly curious.