Hydaelyn Role-Players
Looking for more extensive info on deities - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Looking for more extensive info on deities (/showthread.php?tid=8124)

Looking for more extensive info on deities - Marisa - 08-31-2014

I'm trying to find out more about Halone and Ishgard, but frankly the amount of lore on all the major wikis is terrible. Anyone know where to find something more in-depth?

RE: Looking for more extensive info on deities - ArmachiA - 08-31-2014

Yeaahhhh, I had a lot of trouble with this too, it's why Armi is an ex-priestess and not a current one. There was just hardly any lore available on the deities and how people worship them or whatever.

RE: Looking for more extensive info on deities - Marisa - 08-31-2014

(08-31-2014, 01:45 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: Yeaahhhh, I had a lot of trouble with this too, it's why Armi is an ex-priestess and not a current one. There was just hardly any lore available on the deities and how people worship them or whatever.
What's frustrating about it, for me, is that much of this information exists in-game, scattered throughout various texts and dialogues. I expected some folks would be dedicated enough to compile all of this, but I was wrong. 

Shame we don't have a group like the WoWWiki team in FFXIV...

RE: Looking for more extensive info on deities - LiadansWhisper - 08-31-2014

(08-31-2014, 02:49 AM)Ryoko Wrote:
(08-31-2014, 01:45 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: Yeaahhhh, I had a lot of trouble with this too, it's why Armi is an ex-priestess and not a current one. There was just hardly any lore available on the deities and how people worship them or whatever.
What's frustrating about it, for me, is that much of this information exists in-game, scattered throughout various texts and dialogues. I expected some folks would be dedicated enough to compile all of this, but I was wrong. 

Shame we don't have a group like the WoWWiki team in FFXIV...

It wouldn't matter if we did (and I think you mean the WoWPedia team, since everyone that made the WoWWiki awesome quit and went to WoWPedia).  There's literally no lore to draw from.  All the lore we have about deities beyond their description and the weird shit that happens in Ishgard with the Inquisitors/heretic-murdering in Coerthas is from 1.0, and it's hit or miss.

Edited to Add: Try googling Nophica, btw. All you'll find is a bunch of fanart of her enormous melons. Sad

RE: Looking for more extensive info on deities - Erik Mynhier - 08-31-2014

Here is some lore to draw from. Praise the Fury.

RE: Looking for more extensive info on deities - Jana - 08-31-2014

(08-31-2014, 02:58 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Try googling Nophica, btw.

[Image: AGFLw25.png]

(08-31-2014, 09:44 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: Here is some lore to draw from. Praise the Fury.

It's certainly a good resource, but for some entries (I looked up Byregot), all there is is what we're told about the divine in Character Creation. It just brings how little we're told about them to the surface.

RE: Looking for more extensive info on deities - Askier - 08-31-2014

A Realm Reborn. . . Where the more worship a god receives, the bigger their boobs.

I can think of worse reasons to want to convert people. Lol.

RE: Looking for more extensive info on deities - Goodfellow - 08-31-2014

As silly as it is though, there's actually historical precedent for giving her an exaggerated voluptuousness.  Harvest and fertility goddesses have always been *cough* curvy.

RE: Looking for more extensive info on deities - Sounsyy - 08-31-2014

(08-31-2014, 12:45 AM)Ryoko Wrote: I'm trying to find out more about Halone and Ishgard, but frankly the amount of lore on all the major wikis is terrible. Anyone know where to find something more in-depth?

Mercurias has been working on a Lore of the Twelve compilation here on the RPC. It's not yet complete though. Maybe check that out.

One of my favorite lore references from 1.0, Azurymber, also tried for a full lore compilation of early 1.0 lore facts. Check out Azurymber's Lore Compilation post. I linked you the one containing Diety Lore, but feel free to peruse the rest. They are fascinating.

From my own digging (from 1.0 and 2.0) it seems that each of the Twelve have one or two "stories" or "legends" that seem to be common knowledge to Eorzeans. These stories are, like you said, all scattered about in obscure references or places throughout Eorzea. There's a good bit of Twelve Lore from fishing Big Fish actually.

For example:
Quote:"Cousin to the Navigator's dagger, fishers believe that this wavekin was the blade that Llymlaen threw at Oschon in Her fury at having Her naked form espied. The incident led to the latter taking Menphina as His lover."
-Navigator's Brand

We also know that there's perhaps a hilarious tale out there about Oschon stepping on a flounder. See Oschon's Print.

As for Halone, other than what is stated by the Character Creation Diety Selection about how her aspect is Ice, we know she is a warrioress wielding a giant bronze shield and her symbol is of three spears. We have no graphic depiction of her like we do Nophica. But I highly suspect we'll see some more lore on her when they open up Ishgard.

As for stray lore about her, most of what we know comes from the Dragoon Job Questline. The story is about Ishgard's founding. Almost a thousand years ago, the Goddess Halone appeared before the most courageous of all Elezen, Thordan, and bade him lead Her chosen people to the peak in the Xelphatol Mountains where Ishgard stands today.

But there stood a great chasm between Thordan and Halone's chosen peak. So they set to making a great bridge to cross. It was then that a great shadow descended upon them and the land darkened under the shadow of the great wyrm Nidhogg. Courageous Thordan took up lance against the colossal Nidhogg, but the power of the dragon bewitched Thordan's men and they betrayed him to the dragon, casting him into the chasm.

Overcome with anguish over what he had done, Haldrath, son of Thordan, broke Nidhogg's spell and took up his sire's lance and hurled himself at the great wyrm. With a mighty thrust, Haldrath's hand, guided by Halone, plunged his sire's lance into Nidhogg's eye, prizing it from the dragon. With a terrible roar Nidhogg took wing and fled to the skies. And so it was, the first Dragoon was born.

Today, Nidhogg's eye remains a prized relic of the city. A symbol of triumph and a testament to the power of their guardian diety, Halone. But the eye still exerts overwhelming power over the hearts of those who gaze upon it. So it is kept locked away by the Archbishop. Completely devout to their Goddess, Halone, the Archbishop of Ishgard has complete control over political affairs within the city-state. The Archbishop decreed after the reawakening of the Dragonkin in 1562 that Ishgard's gates be closed off to all.