Hydaelyn Role-Players
Soliciting Aide [Closed] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Soliciting Aide [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=8110)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - Faye - 09-06-2014

Faye took one last long sip of her tea, finishing off her beverage before setting the cup down upon the table, producing a faint clink of porcelain against wood. "Ah, nonsense, this is a business deal of sorts, yes? I expect you'll want to know some about us and ours. I'm happy to answer any questions." She stood slowly from the sofa, smoothing out garments and sparing a brief glance over her shoulder at Val to ensure he was still awake to follow them.

Giving the Seeker a gentle nudge of his shoulder in the event he seemed to be dozing off, she turned back to Jaques attentively. "Certainly, I'm eager to see the rest of the place. Please, lead the way at your leisure."

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - Val - 09-08-2014

Val had, in fact, begun to doze off. It was only due to Faye's conscientious efforts that he managed to rise up from his spot on the sofa and follow closely behind. Much like before, the Seeker would not speak and he opted to allow Jacques to lead the way and follow closely behind his betrothed. Should any of them take any heed to Val, they might notice his bi-colored eyes cast down to catch a glimpse of Faye's backside whenever he thought he could steal a glance without being caught. He was a guard, but he was also a man and had an immeasurable appetite for certain things.

Ever still, the Seeker's ears remained perked and he forced himself to recall that he was in possible enemy territory with little more than a couple of fists, witty words, and good looks to get them both out of trouble. Despite how pleasant the hosts had been so far, he still wasn't very trusting of them. That would be something that came far, far later in their companionship should it ever reach that. Judging by how much his significant other was fawning over them and theirs, it seemed that it would be the case.

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - Kyatai - 09-08-2014

(Apologies for the delay- I have been OOG/Offline helping my dad pre/post op....
And apologies for length, trying to catch up! Smile )

Chiane glanced up briefly from her instruction of the fifteen before her, her eyes narrowing slightly as she quickly assessed the two entering the Rose with Jaques leading... and Remioux trailing silently behind. A well-dressed, pale Midlander female and a dour-faced Miqo'te male- likewise well dressed, but clearly as out of his element as the elegant Hyur was in it.
And just as clearly a career fighter- which explained the focused attention Remy kept on him. She noted the unabashedly armoured Duskwright's seemingly casual positioning as the group came to a halt, his hand resting on the pommel, his stance loose and back toward the wall, but in full reach and view of any potential threat.
She smirked faintly to herself as the Miqo'te shot Remy a narrowed glare from time to time- as if threatening him to make a move against his charge as well.
Males...

A subtle shifting and soft giggle caught her attention, coming from the furthest end of the table. She snapped her head back, her palm coming down on the wood with a dull 'thwack'.
"Hands on the table, you two. Miriam- what is the answer?"
Immediately four pairs of hands darted from their subterranean activities beneath the table, the Hyur female's eyes wide in surprise. "Ah- hmm? S-sorry, Miss Chiane..."
She arched her eyebrow at the young woman and her compatriot, a guiltily smirking Wildwood male. "No need to be sorry. Simply give me the result. How much gil would you expect to spend on five bolts of linen, three bottles of rolanberry dye and a skein of linen thread?"
The girl flushed, her dark eyes darting over to the Wildwood. Chi followed her gaze, her tone mild. "Or... perhaps Marquet knows?"
He shrugged, looking away, his eyes quickly darting over to Jaques- doubtless to see if the 'Master' was aware- then back to find Chiane's eyes locked on his face. He flushed, giving her a faint tremulous smile.

"Mmm. I see." 
She glanced at the others who were either studiously working on their own problems, or watching the interplay like one would a close chocobo race.
"Well... why do you not see if you can work it out now... between you both.  The price list is there before you for one unit of each. All you must do is add the amounts requested together."
She leaned forward, tapping a fingernail onto the parchment where the words were accompanied by a small detailed and colored drawing of the item for the less literate.
"Ah... em..." Miriam's brow furrowed, her fingers moving quickly as she tried to count. Chiane could see a fine sheen of sweat on her brow, her own eyes darting to the gathering nearby. "A h-hundred six gil?"
"No."
Chi pointed to the picture of the bolts. "Each one of these is forty gil. I want five. And rolanberry dye- which is rather expensive as you can see. Ninety gil per bottle... and I want three. And the thread, lest the dress you are making fall into a mess on the floor."
"Don' need no missin' thread to make my dress fall off!" One of the Lala twins giggled.
"'Specially not when entertainin' a bundle o' yummy fur like that 'un!" The other twin added, her eyes on the Miqo'te Jaques was speaking to. "I could jus' bury my fac-"
"Loli, Moli... shhh," Chiane gave both a look. "That is inappropriate."
"Why's it inappropriate, Miss Chiane?" A voice to her left asked.
"Because they are not here to request your attention. They are here to help Jaques and Vaughn keep the Sanctuary open, hm? It costs gil. Lots of it... A lot more than the cost of linen, dye and thread. And those two over there are interested in helping."
Daeswyr flashed her a confident grin. "All the more reason ta make 'em happy! I bet I could make dat kitty howl an' dat pretty Hyur scre-"
Again, Chi struck the table, her own cheeks flushing slightly, her voice a low hiss, not daring to look over at the possible benefactors. She feared that even though neither of the two were Blood, the Roe's deep voice carried. "No. No. That is not how things are done here any more. You are all worth more than the price of your bodies. And you can make others happy and do things for you without needing to do that."
S'kyla gave Chi a sultry smile, running her tongue over her teeth. "But what if we want to? What if we like to..."

Chiane let out a heavy sigh, rubbing her face. "Just.. Tell me.... how much gil... is needed to buy the linen, thread and dye, hm?"
There was a pause, then a low, hesitant voice spoke up. "Fi-five... hunnert gil...?"
She looked over at the large Roe in surprise. He had been marked a Green by Sasha, her evaluation labeling him of no more worth than a base manservant.
"Very good, Dusk."
A flash of pride and triumph lit his brown eyes, quickly followed by a wide grin. "I's right?!"
She grinned back at him. "You are. Excellent job. Why do you not show Miriam and Marquet how you came up with that amount?"
The two shot the Roe a dark look, clearly humiliated they had been outdone by him.
Chi cleared her throat, gazing at them. "There is no caste system any longer. Black, Red, Purple and Green are just colors... they mean nothing. Everyone..." she arched her eyebrow at the two. "With the desire and effort to do so... has the opportunity to succeed."
She gestured to the Roe. "Blazing Dusk, please... continue."
He nodded quickly, though kept his eyes down on the paper, his voice a low rumble as he explained in halting, clearly self-conscious, sentences. The others gathered around, brows furrowed and heads cocked as they listened. She smiled faintly, watching them a moment, then glanced back to the gathering.
Vaughn had joined Jaques now, and was chatting them up with a large smile, flitting about with appetizers and tea, firmly in his element- whilst her poor brother was finally given reprieve from the attention and necessity of engaging them. She cut Jaques a small smile and nod, her eyes flickering over to the visitors briefly. The Miqo'te seemed to be dozing off, the Hyur hanging on Vaughn's words with appropriate nods and murmurs of interest.
Thankfully neither seemed the least bit interested or distracted by her and her class at the moment.
Perhaps.... all was still well.

Chiane looked back at the group the moment they went silent. Everyone was staring at their papers or scratching out their own efforts.
"Mmm.. alright then. So, now... I want someone to tell me how much gil I would have remaining after buying this linen, thread and dye... if I came to the market with a pouch of seven hundred fifty gil."
A low groan, a few hands caught chins as they leaned onto the table. She smirked.
"Last problem of the day, hm? Come now... simply take the amount you have in your pouch... Seven fifty... and remove the five hundred..."

She was tired. Trying to get the former Companions to understand the purpose and value of gil... in addition to helping them determine proper pricing and prevent them from being cheated... was difficult. Such basic math as she had learned as a child on her father's knee... should not be so frustrating. The answers seemed so obvious- but even when they came up with the right answer... five hundred gil in practice was still about the same thing in their minds as five gil. A coin is a coin... and many make a lovely clinking sound when shook in a pouch. Naught but metal with a nice engraving on it, nothing close to the value of flesh to them and what potential it possessed.
She was trying... they were all trying. But was like teaching a fish to breathe air... the entire endevour. Everything for the Companions was turned upside down, and trying to right it all again in was a different world was nothing short of impossible.
But the staff stubbornly pressed on... Everyone deserved a chance at a different, more autonomous and free life, if they wished it.

She rubbed her face wearily. Twelve, she hoped the Hyur noblewoman would have a pleasant tour and decide to assist in the maintenance of the Rose. Especially if there was enough gil left over to hire a full-time Mathematics instructor...
One class was enough to be responsible for.
"Miss Chiane?"
She gave the teenage boy standing at her elbow a smile. "Yes?"
"I think Mir and Marq have figured out how to make two become one." He snickered, darting away as she let out a heavy sigh and rose.
"Twelve...." she glanced quickly to the group behind her- but thankfully it seemed the walking tour had begun and they were unnoticed. She pulled the couple apart, leaning over to whisper. "You two... take it upstairs. In your room. And stay there unless fully dressed."
She looked at the others, each of them clearly having difficulty focusing now.
"Alright. Fine... I want the answer at next class. You are all free to go," she stopped as chairs were immediately pushed back and low chattering began. She cleared her throat, waiting til she had their attention once more.
"If the Lady asks you a question, be honest but polite. Be friendly, but not in the way. Do not try to seduce her or offer her pleasures of the House. And..." she cracked a small smirk. "I would refrain from the same in regards to her guard.
"Remember- we want to impress them and help keep the Rose open to help you all and others."
Heads bobbed, murmuring their assent, then quickly dispersed, scribbled work papers in hand.
She sighed, heading up to her own room to ensure her own presentability, then smoothed her robe down and went to join the tour in progress.

****NOTE to participants****
If you wish to comment on anything your character might have overheard or saw- but did not react to/mention before, feel free. After all, wasn't *written* here to react TO at the time. I mainly just wanted to give 'life' to what Chi was doing and why she was kinda... absent...
Also... any NPC's mentioned here are free to use for all, should you wish it. <g>

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - DreamedReality - 09-09-2014

((Welcome back Chiane. Big Grin))

Once everyone was on their feet Jaques leads them towards the kitchen but as they pass by the office door he motions inside, "Vaughn usually handles the paperwork and keeps track of the finances." Glances to the Wildwood and smirks a bit, "He gets angry with me if I try it. Says I just make more work since he has to rewrite everything." Shrugs slightly, "Anyroad, any specific questions in that regard are best directed to him."

Leads them into the kitchen where the red-headed hyur was humming over a sink of dishes from Vaughn's frenzied exploits earlier. Jaques motions to the woman, "Our cook, Lily. Lily this is Lady Faye and Val."

The woman curtseys and gives one of her warm smiles, "Good afternoon. It's a pleasure to meet you both." She returns to her washing, although she refrains from humming.

Jaques speaks again after pleasantries are exchanged, "Three meals a day are fixed for those that live here. And Lily is helping those here at least learn the basics around a kitchen. Two in particular show promise and interest in becoming chefs one day. When there isn't anyone to supervise our charges aren't allowed to use the kitchen. Although we do keep some small items out for them to snack on if they get hungry between meals." He motions to a section of counter dedicated to a large bowl of fruit and a few smaller bowls with nuts and dried fruits."

He glances to movement in the doorway and smiles slightly as Chiane joins them, "Chiane, meet Lady Faye and Val of the Harbinger's of Dawn."

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - Val - 09-09-2014

Val at least tried to seem captivated didn't seem to care in the slightest about what Jaques was showing them, at least as far as the man's words were concerned. He did manage to scope out areas being shown, letting his multicolored gaze cast itself along the rooms in search of anything that might be considered even remotely dangerous. Nothing so far. ..But there had to be something, right?

He began to grow rather tired as the tour continued, unable to get an ample amount of rest thanks to Faye rousing him earlier. Just his luck, it was only when his right hand lifted to cover a yawn--manners that Faye must have taught him--did Chiane appear. He also knew, thanks to the woman's constant teaching and lecturing, that it was rude to yawn in front of someone. She'd also told him to be on his best behavior, and thus began the lengthy battle of Val trying to abort Mission Yawn. It wasn't something that was easily won. In fact, Val failed miserably. When he was unable to shut his mouth mid-yawn, he instead tried to talk over the noise.

"NAAAAAHce tah see ya," he replied, finishing the yawn half-sentence. He was left to stand there wide-eyed and well aware of his mistake. He shot a glance to Faye in hopes she'd be light on reprimanding him.

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - Kyatai - 09-10-2014

She followed the sound of Jaques' voice to the kitchen, smiling minutely at the rumble of his orientation as she drew closer. She paused at the doorway, leaning against the frame with arms loosely crossed, her eyes flickering from individual to individual.

Lily... was self-conscious. She had stopped the humming she did when alone or at ease. Jaques was still working through the nerves he got when he had to present anything to individuals he did not know well... causing his trademark, protective scowl to tighten his features like a ghost before he forced it back. Remy had yet to relax- not that he ever would, or did, around most anyone. His level of wariness, however, tended to wax and wane like the tides- depending on perceived threat.
The tide was very high at present.
She gave him a faint, half-smirk and nod, her eyes drifting to the main source of his agitation: The Miqo'te... who looked much less threatening now, leaning against the table, blinking slowly- his mind and eyes clearly on other things besides the availability of food and the eating schedules of the Companions. Eyes hooded, ears slightly drooped... sleepy,  yet slightly angled toward the Hyur, his gaze drifting along her form, lingering at her backside, legs, then away again. Clearly bored, wishing to be elsewhere doing other things, but resigned to the moment and situation. Casual, but with ears pricking every so often, body still with the unconscious subterranean tenseness of any well-trained and blooded soldier on guard.

The Hyur female, however, seemed at ease and receptive to both Jaques' explanations, and Vaughn's continued attention and open friendliness. A lovely woman, Chiane noted now that she was closer. Elegant, fine boned, a generous smile... and perhaps the palest, finest skin she had ever seen on a Hyur. Quite the feat when living under the Thanalan sun, to be certain.
The Duskwright raised her eyebrow, absently tucking her scarred hands and fingers beneath the fabric of her robe.
Yes, it seemed of those already assembled, the only ones that seemed totally at ease... were Vaughn and the Midlander. She smirked faintly to herself, then quickly blinked, straightening up slightly as Jaques caught sight of her.

"Chiane, meet Lady Faye and Val of the Harbinger's of Dawn."

She smiled, giving them a faint nod, her voice soft with the faintest lilt of an Ala Mhigan accent. "Welcome to the Rose. Apologies for not joining you earlier, but I trust Jaques related to you the reasoning?"
Her eyes flickered over to the odd sound in the direction of the Miqo'te, fighting a grin as it seemed Jaques' recognition of her had caught Val mid-yawn. And a rather impressive yawn at that, despite his attempts to cover his gaping mouth.
The corner of her mouth nevertheless curled up into a half-smirk, interpreting the yowling-growl of a greeting, giving him a nod.
"Likewise, Val... though I fear I may prove to be much less interesting than the forementioned offerings of fruit and nuts."

She shifted, lifting her chin toward the door leading from the kitchen, giving the two Elezen males a slightly raised eyebrow. "Perhaps our guests would like to see the training area and let Lilly return to finishing preparations for our repast?"
She shifted, looking to Faye, giving her a small smile, her tone shifting from faint amusement to a calm even-ness.
"Part of our work here is to not only orient the Companions to life outside the Rose with some manner of education and trade, but to prepare them, should they need to defend themselves from those that would..." she paused briefly, her mouth twisting a bit. "Abuse them."
"Most of those here have been conditioned to take whatever cruelty dealt them without complaint, turning instead to efforts to placate and please the aggressor. Or simply take it, believing they deserve it in some way. It is... very difficult to break them of this belief- yet if they do not, they will face a life of being used, cheated and abused... and possibly returned to service."

She paused, her hand raising a bit from her crossed arm to gesture slightly with a shrug. "But it is difficult to rewire thinking and behavior that has been ingrained since birth." She smiled minutely. "Myself... I teach those with the aptitude- and willingness- for aether manipulation to use it."

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - Faye - 09-12-2014

Faye trailed behind Jaques, blue eyes trailing over their surroundings with attentive interest as they walked. She did her best to tune out the muffled sounds of the nearby lessons and focus on Jaques' explanations instead, but a few particularly colorful comments did reach her ears... and further deterred her from listening in lest it begin to feel like eavesdropping. She rested her sights upon Lily, offering a soft smile before dipping into a polite curtsy. "Thank you, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss Lily." She left the introductions at that, letting the cook return to her work. "Afraid they'll burn down the kitchen unsupervised?" she murmured half in jest in response to Jaques. Given her own relatively unsuccessful exploits in the kitchen, it seemed like a logical concern.

She settled her attention on Chiane as she approached and joined their small group, once again offering a dazzling smile and a well-practiced curtsy. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Chiane, thank you." She paused, glancing out to Val out of the corner of her eyes. Fortunately for the Seeker, she did not reprimand him (he had at least covered his mouth, that was an improvement), she only gave him a bewildered stare before returning her attention to Chiane. "Yes, he mentioned you were busy with lessons, some of which I witnessed myself. There's no need to apologize. Rather, I should thank you for taking the time to meet with us." She gave a faint nod of understanding. "Self-defense is a useful thing for anything to learn, and I'm partial to conjury myself. I don't doubt, however, that it is difficult to change such deeply ingrained mindsets. Compared to that, the physical aspect of training them is probably a breeze."

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - DreamedReality - 09-13-2014

"Afraid they'll burn down the kitchen unsupervised?" Faye muttered and his duskwight hearing picked up clearly.

Jaques smirks and nods, his tone amused, "Validly so. We've had a share of... exciting kitchen fires the last few moons." Lily nodded her head enthusiastically to the comment as she continued her work over the sink.

He was finally starting to relax a bit more. Val had shifted from highly alert and into bored guard mode and Jaques took that as a rather good sign. He knew Val's opinion would hold sway given his relationship with the Lady. But if the Seeker's only complaints were that the place was too boring and he hated the tea... well that shouldn't impede on them getting a donation. Probably.

Then there was the yawn. It was a very impressive one all things considered and the resulting... greeting?... Was fairly comical although he managed to hide his amusement, especially from the resulting exchange from of him and his Lady. Things moved on from it fairly quickly and he could see the relief on the miqo'te's face.
Jaques nods in agreement with Chiane's suggestion to show off the basement next and moves closer to the two doors nearby. As he walks over he tries to catch Remi's attention, mouthing to the armoured duskwight, Stay up here.

One door is at the back wall of the kitchen and is a larger and heavier door like the front door had been. The other, smaller door he heads to and opens as Faye and Chiane exchange words, revealing a narrow and spiraling staircase leading down. None of the fanciness of the rest of the building showed here as even the cut stones were rough in comparison. This was obviously never intended to be seen by any patron when this was still functioning as a brothel and 'breeding' facility.

"Compared to that, the physical aspect of training them is probably a breeze." Faye was saying as she had begun to follow, still looking to Chiane.

Jaques pipes up again, "You are correct. The fighting forms I've been showing them they seem to take to quite well. Although there is a distinct lack of power in the movements and they treat it as some sort of dance. Which -is- something they're all quite good at." He leads the way down the spiraling steps that would make them walk single file and into the large space below. No colorful sashes or tapestries hung from the walls save for a couple in the back half of the room. The incense was also much less strong as none was being burned down here. Though it was just as well lit as the main floor had been and didn't have that typical gloom that most windowless rooms had. No one else seemed to be down here.

The large basement was broken up into two sections by a series of divider screens about halfway down the length of the room from where they entered. And the section they were in seemed to be in a state of flux. There was a small and more intimately positioned seating area than the one they'd just used upstairs. But along the walls were makeshift tables and old desks set up with various tools representing several of the major crafting guilds on their surfaces. A small series of labeled drawers and shelves that contained an assortment of raw, yet easy to acquire materials filled in spaces between the work areas.

The first sight that would greet them at the far end of the room would be the assortment of weaponry that hung from pegs or rested on shelves along the back wall. Some of them obviously training weapons while others less so. Swords, axes, clawed fists, knuckles, bows, and daggers were all present. Although there was a distinct lack of longer weapons, which Val would undoubtedly notice, save for a couple of quarterstaves leaning in a corner. The floor in front of the wall was lain with tatami mats.

Should any move back there to see what the dividers hid would see the old and battered wooden training dummy which had been bolted to the floor. It's head missing which is why it didn't show above the dividing screens. A couple of target boards had been erected along the left side wall on either side of the dummy, both having deep pockmarks in it's surface. Undoubtedly the markings of the throwing daggers that rested on the shelves.

However the probably much more obvious 'thing' that the divider's hid was a dark brown-skinned plainsfolk lalafell. His black and cornrow braided hair was streaked with a bright and minty green tint and the tattoos on his face matched the colour. One tattoo that looked  like some sort of rune above his right eye and another more abstract tattoo down the left side of his face. His brows were knitted together over bright green eyes in a fit of intense concentration as he knelt and scribbled out a complex geometric diagram in the open book in front of him. He wore a simple dark blue robe and he had a fine sheen of sweat that covered him as though he'd been exerting himself recently. His attention would occasionally divert to a series of three other books laid out around him. His ink-stained fingers scratching absently at his goatee in thought before returning to his scribblings. He was entirely oblivious to everything else.

Jaques, for his part, remains silent as he waits for them all to file in. He stays on the near side of the room and doesn't immediately head to the training area they'd just been discussing. All in an effort to help Val, still on active guard duty, stay at ease from the initial tenseness that seeing all the weapons in the back might cause. When Vaughn emerges from the stairway he shifts closer and snakes an arm around the smaller elezen's waist. He gives their guests time to look around the place and waits for attention to fall back to him and Vaughn or Chiane.

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - Val - 09-13-2014

Chiane had stated that she'd be less interesting than fruits and nuts, and that immediately caused Val's ears to droop along the back of his head and he gave little more than a look of utter despair. Wonderful. Now he'd be fighting sleep from a boring tour and an individual that held no more value than a pistachio, if she were being honest about herself. 

..But then they started talking about combat and training, and that was certainly something that caught his attention. His ears lifted and he grew far more alert, taking in the words that they'd spoke back and forth. 

"They ain' doin' nothin' wrong then," he stated as they began to file through, his left hand lifting to rest along the small of Faye's back to gently guide her in ahead of him. "S'what fightin' is, kinda. Learnin' t'dance an' t'be all quick an' stuff is part of it." He gave pause to run his gaze over the sorted array of weaponry, certainly noticing the lack of ranged weapons. Judging by the demeanor of the rest of the room, Val certainly knew they were in a place not meant for the eyes of most and, with the weaponry before them, he suddenly wished he'd brought his own. Nevertheless, he nodded toward the shelves, "Wi' weapons like that, it'll come in handy."

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - Antain - 09-13-2014

Remy watched the group as they headed down the stairs to the basement, about to follow. He stopped after one step when he caught Jaques's glare and mouthed command. His upper lip twitched, fighting a sneer as he begrudgingly obeyed. He waited for the group to disappear around the spiral before stationing himself just outside the kitchen, close enough to the basement. Should he hear anything out of the ordinary, he'd be ready, and then Jaques would be glad he didn't entirely listen.

Vaughn, after checking the cooking dishes, followed closely behind Jaques as usual, listening to the exchange among the other four. He didn't have much to add at this point, so he just paid attention to the mental tick in his head, counting down the time when it would be time to prepare the dishes for the guests and themselves. He leaned in close as Jaques wrapped his arm around his waist, his own hand rubbing across the small of the larger man's back to rest at his hip, idly trailing his fingers up and down his side.

Vaughn paid attention mostly to the conversation, glancing at Chiane with a faint, nervous smile, before noticing the lalafell on the other side of the screens. He smiles as he watched the tiny man fiddle with his books, squeezing Jaques's side a bit tighter without realizing it.

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - Kyatai - 09-13-2014

Chiane smiled briefly at the narrowed look Remioux gave Jaques, obviously in disagreement. For one without a voice, the Duskwright had a definite skill for making his feelings well known. She let the smile linger, nodding once to him, then followed the group down to the training area.

Jaques and Vaughn had done a wonderful job transforming this former dungeon filled with a variety of torture devices into a functional training area. The dark oppression greatly relieved by complete gutting of the room of everything that could be removed, leaving only the rough, stone walls and battered supports remaining. The subsequent blessings of one of the Conjurer's Guild had helped alleviate much of the remainder of the dark aura and twisted aetheric sensations she'd felt the first time she'd come down here...
She grimaced, pressing her lips together tightly. But not the memory.
She could still recall Callistus, the dark candles, the bones, the effigies and icons.... The books that whispered enticingly...
... and then the subsequent battle for Vaughn's soul...

Her hand rested briefly on the wooden support, then winced as she sense a slight, oily shift in the aether- a whiff of the corruption. She frowned, realizing she was now standing in the alcove where Callistus's occult library had been.

Chi abruptly moved away from the support and the group, drifting along the line of tables, heading toward the Lalafell archanist. She wondered if Ojune also felt the almost imperceptible ghost of the corruption at times- or if it was simply her. Being so close to so many corrupted, being stroked by the corruption itself, working around and against it...
Hmm....
Yssen had taught her many things, the least of which was there was always a give and take when dealing with aetheric energies. To destroy corruption, one must give of oneself... and accept the scar that results.
A scar, a mark... An aetheric memory, she supposed. One that could not be removed, no matter if the Elder Seedseer had personally blessed Chiane or the room herself.

She became aware that she had paused in her reverie by the hand-held weapons, each one neatly arranged on the table. The basic throwing knives; wooden daggers in various sizes to fit Lalafell to Roedgyn hands; the hora- the leather was cracking on the grip of the second largest, she noted with a frown....
She picked it up, picking at the crack and loose flap of leather, then flipped it over, studying the seam. It would be an easy fix...
She set it aside, looking over the others for signs of wear.

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - DreamedReality - 09-13-2014

Ojune still had yet to notice the others in the vicinity, muttering "Steady... steady..." under his breath as he worked on a particularly tight spiral in the pattern he was transcribing in his book.

Jaques watched the brief flicker of unease pass over the Chiane's features as she stood in the old alcove and his eyes followed her as she started away from them to the back. Although his words were still directed to Val about their current topic of conversation, "Oh, I don't disagree. But it's still the mindset that we're working to get through. They literally view it as a dance. An entertainment like the dances they were taught before. Many do not yet connect it as anything that -would- save them from any of that." Motions to the back wall of weapons and focuses his gaze back to Val, "And those that have made the connection..." Frowns a touch, "I suspect that they'd still simply take the blow. If any of those weapons were leveled in their direction they'd accept that moment as their time and place to die. Their only thought would be to hope that their compliance would make it swift and not an extended torture." He pulls Vaughn tighter against his side in response to the squeeze.

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - Val - 09-14-2014

Val gave Jacques a look of something in between interest and confusion. Then, his mismatched eyes focused on Faye while he played back the man's words in his head. At first, Val had seemed it to be quite ignorant to simply.. stand there and take a hit in order to fulfill one's duty. In a time not too long ago, he saw himself far more precious than any sort of reward that could be given for risking himself for another. And yet, for the lady standing there, he'd done it time and time again, often without giving a second thought to his actions. He'd do it again if he had to.

The Seeker smiled as he continued to watch his lady, momentarily mesmerized by her beauty and actions coupled with the words Jacques had spoken echoing in his head. This all lasted a moment or two before he remembered that he should probably respond. She would want him to be courteous, after all.

"Guess I can understand where they're comin' from. ..Sorta. I ain' gonna go an' get m'self killed f'no reason. Ain' nothin' great 'bout that. But if it means protectin' someone I care for, well. Fuck it, y'know? I'mma die some day, may's well be so someone I care for can keep on goin'."

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - Faye - 09-16-2014

Faye silently followed their hosts down the spiraling staircase, peering around her new surroundings. Her gaze wandered around the basement, not quite with the same wonder and approval she had offered the upstairs, but simply with an assessing eye. After all, dark basements were not particularly aesthetically pleasing to most people, and training grounds were also not within her personal expertise and interest. Still, she seemed attentive enough and did not look particularly displeased--the basement was as much as could be hoped for.

Though, her gaze did pause on the Lalafell seated behind the divider, the corners of her lips beginning to stretch into a smile--the same involuntary, automatic smile most people might give at the first sight of a puppy or a small child. But then she had to remind herself that the members of that petite race were no such thing, adorable as they were, and forcibly she wiped the goofy grin from her face. Putting on an expression of serious business once more, she turned to Jaques to pose a curious question, "Who leads the training sessions, aside from Miss Chiane's tutelage of the casters?"

((I'll be out of town this weekend so I warn and apologize in advance for the lack of the responses!))

RE: Soliciting Aide [Closed] - DreamedReality - 09-17-2014

((No worries. Hope you enjoy your trip. Smile ))

Jaques takes a moment to mule over Val's words. He hadn't really considered the fact that for the recovering slaves here that accepting death at the hands of their masters or mistresses could be considered their final act of duty. He'd read about the often extended and violent deaths the ancestors to those here received down in this very basement and all he'd been stuck on where how exceptionally pointless it all was. It had further baffled him at how anyone could grant so much control over ones very self. But duty...? Duty meant a sort of honor, pride, and sometimes love that was greatly lacking in this exchange. Or was it...?

It did make a sort of sense and he felt the rise of anger thinking of such things usually brought on. And for having never seen this connection. They often countered with 'it's just the way things are' whenever he tried to ask them why they let others do whatever they wished to them. Wouldn't he himself give similar response as to why he would, and had, step in to protect Vaughn? The main difference would be he would also say, I want to and I love him. Something the companions here were entirely unable to say as both things had been entirely forbidden. Did they have similar if unspoken thoughts?

His musings were interrupted by Vaughn squeezing his waist and he realized he'd slipped into his own thoughts and his angry scowl and settled itself onto his features. The dark elezen makes the effort to calm his features as lady Faye once again spoke, "Who leads the training sessions, aside from Miss Chiane's tutelage of the casters?"

"I do. Three times a week. We didn't start until just a couple moons ago as I wanted them to settle into this new life a bit beforehand. So we're still working through basic forms and control of a pugilist. And I or Vaughn plan to start working on archery as well... once we find a space to practice. The basement is wide but not quite that wide. And while it's long this side gets used as a workspace so setting a target up lengthwise probably wouldn't work either. Not to mention they'd be shooting towards the entrance. But I admit we do need more instructors. A true math instructor as well as instructors that can teach the various crafts of the guilds."

--

Meanwhile, on the other side of the room Ojune gives a startled, sort of high pitched strangled noise in the back of his throat as Chiane's shadow suddenly crosses over the reference book he'd been focused on. His small hand presses against his chest as he peers up to the Duskwight as she walks along the back wall, "Thal's balls you startled me, Chiane." He slowly smiles at his own foolishness at having gotten so wrapped up in his work, "I'm sorry, were you goi--?"

He finally becomes aware of voices behind him and peers around the divider to see Jaques and Vaughn with a noble woman and man. His gaze swivels back to Chiane with a sudden look of horror. He quickly gets to his feet, quick for him at anyrate, and limps over to Chiane. In a hissing whisper as he tries to keep his voice down, "Oh right the tour! And I just swore... Ah, do I look presentable miss Chiane?" He gazes up at her anxiously.