Hydaelyn Role-Players
Ethnic Garments - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Ethnic Garments (/showthread.php?tid=7963)

Pages: 1 2

Ethnic Garments - Blue - 08-14-2014

Hello everyone,

As I'm slowly re-entering the flow of RP from my forced hiatus (my harasser seems to have disappeared. Maybe they found that thread..), I have become more active in the RP sessions with my LS. Currently, our brave heroes are dealing with a crystal thief that stole one of our stones in Gridania and is now hiding around Ul'dah.

Our group RPs moving from a different region to another with a rather realistic approach. We make kind of a big deal when it comes to, say as in this case, moving from Gridania to Ul'dah. The journeys come with days of preparing and packing, and the stay in the new place is long before we'll be again financially able to afford moving out again.

So, obviously, our characters need to be prepared to endure the weather differences, and as such should try their best to be properly clothed for the occasion.

So this is where this thread comes in. I'm looking for suggestions for equipment combos for ethnic clothing, namely this time around, Ul'dahn attire (though if you want, feel free to post attires you've made up for other regions too).

Keep a couple things in mind:

- I'd like my character to not stand out from the regular Ul'dahn NPCs, so let us try  to come up with ideas that do not involve super exotic and unique looking pieces out there; 
- This thread should be of some help not only to myself, but to whoever wishes to RP a local, so keep budget in mind (yes, I'm talking about those lv1 gear pieces that gods know when I will ever be able to afford...);
- Ethnic clothing is something that should be practical and have a purpose in its choices, so don't go just by taste and good-looks. Think of the weather, the landscape of the region, the type of roads and what shoes would be most practical to use, as well as the average climate of the region to decide what piece of gear would best suit a local of the chosen region.

So, yes. Let the show off begin! Post screenshots, and write down the list of pieces shown there (and if you can, write next to them where/how to get them, or average price if they're crafted).

This is what I was able to come up with:

[Image: 53ec9ce822c39258d190b694.jpg]

Head: Hempen Bandana (Lv5, crafted and cheap): The bandana comes useful to collect long hairstyles, reducing sweating, as well as saving your hair from collecting too much of the dust and sand of Thanalan's storms.

Body: Toadskin Jerkin (lv29, crafted. Moderately priced.): Made off of the skins of the toads that lurk in Thanalan's creeks, this piece is light enough to not make the wearer feel too warm, while at the same time offering average protection against the thorns of bushes that can be found out of town, as well as superficial attacks of small creatures. Not recommended for fighting.

Hands: X

Legs: Acoltye's Skirt (Lv15 Dungeons, must be mage class to Need): The leather that composes this skirt is sturdy enough to endure the harsh climate of Thanalan while keeping legs free of movement. It comes with calf-high leggings that grant moderate protection from sharp rocks and overzealous snakes that may be lurking in the tall grass.

Feet: Duckbills (There are several at any level.): A general type of leather footwear with flexible but endurable soles. It is not recommended to walk inside a river, but thankfully there are not that many of those in Thanalan.

RE: Ethnic Garments - Melodia - 08-14-2014

I can't really offer any suggestions but I can tell you my experience just having done this with my alt Melodia and getting the Yellowjacket gear. It was a painstaking process of doing a lot of POV camera looking at gloves for a long time, trying to get the details, and the boots, etc. Then a lot of trial and error on the MB with the "try on" link. And each piece, I would wear it, and stand right next to the NPC, trying to ensure I nailed the colors, and the gear. I wish they had the option to click on the npc and examine similar to what we can do with a player to see what they are wearing.

RE: Ethnic Garments - Blue - 08-14-2014

(08-14-2014, 09:42 AM)Rurutani Wrote: I can't really offer any suggestions but I can tell you my experience just having done this with my alt Melodia and getting the Yellowjacket gear. It was a painstaking process of doing a lot of POV camera looking at gloves for a long time, trying to get the details, and the boots, etc. Then a lot of trial and error on the MB with the "try on" link. And each piece, I would wear it, and stand right next to the NPC, trying to ensure I nailed the colors, and the gear. I wish they had the option to click on the npc and examine similar to what we can do with a player to see what they are wearing.
Oh, I know. It's very difficult to create copies of NPCs especially seen how many pieces of gear they have that we cannot equip (see this thread I made if you want to see some pictures).

But I'm not looking to be a replica. I'm looking for suggestions for gear combos that may, if nothing else, blend in with their environment and look plausible.

RE: Ethnic Garments - Aduu Avagnar - 08-14-2014

get a turban, they seem plentiful around Ul'dah. 

what I want is the fancy coat/robe type thing worn by some of the richer types, but I think its NPC only Sad I will look more into this later.

RE: Ethnic Garments - Seriphyn - 08-14-2014

I believe the bandana is associated more with La Noscea than with Thanalan. The jerkin is worn primarily by the miners of Ul'dah, from the looks of things.

Quintessential Ul'dahn look

You want the hempen kurta and a turban, like above. It'd be difficult to 'blend in' with the NPCs of Ul'dah or be a replica since Miqo'te do not appear to be regular citizens of Thanalan, unlike in Gridania or Limsa Lominsa. The 'gown' item also seems to be associated with Ul'dahn richfolk (with the bliaud for Limsa and coatee for Gridania?).  The gown and kurta seem to be the two big things.

But yes, get a turban as Nako said. Turban seems to be THE headwear for Ul'dah. Bandana is for piwates.

RE: Ethnic Garments - Zyrusticae - 08-14-2014

While I won't have specific examples on hand (because I can't login at work, heh), here are what I would think are some general guidelines:

Ul'dah: The post above pretty much covers their common look, but I should note that the Miqo'te ladies at the Forgotten Springs are a prime example of how not to dress up in the desert. Your back and shoulders MUST be covered or you WILL get sunburn and, given enough exposure, possibly die of heat stroke. The Ul'dahn citizens are far more sensible about this, thankfully. If you just wore a light-colored shawl and something to cover your head, that would probably suffice, even if the rest of you were naked. At night, on the other hand, the temperature can drop considerably, so you would need warm clothing regardless.

Gridania: In a forest environment where you're constantly running into native foliage (to say nothing of all the insects), clothing that is resistant to scratching is a must. The lack of sun thanks to all the tree coverage providing oodles of shade means you don't have to worry so much about coverage like in Ul'dah, but this is probably offset by the scratching problem mentioned above.

Limsa Lominsa: Dress like you're walking around in San Francisco. It's temperate pretty much all-year round and you don't have as many environmental hazards to worry about (native fauna aside), so you pretty much can wear whatever you'd like. Native Lominsans appear to have a preference for simple open shirts and the like.

That's my 2c. Hope this helps.

RE: Ethnic Garments - Blue - 08-14-2014

(08-14-2014, 06:51 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: While I won't have specific examples on hand (because I can't login at work, heh), here are what I would think are some general guidelines:

Ul'dah: The post above pretty much covers their common look, but I should note that the Miqo'te ladies at the Forgotten Springs are a prime example of how not to dress up in the desert. Your back and shoulders MUST be covered or you WILL get sunburn and, given enough exposure, possibly die of heat stroke. The Ul'dahn citizens are far more sensible about this, thankfully. If you just wore a light-colored shawl and something to cover your head, that would probably suffice, even if the rest of you were naked. At night, on the other hand, the temperature can drop considerably, so you would need warm clothing regardless.

Gridania: In a forest environment where you're constantly running into native foliage (to say nothing of all the insects), clothing that is resistant to scratching is a must. The lack of sun thanks to all the tree coverage providing oodles of shade means you don't have to worry so much about coverage like in Ul'dah, but this is probably offset by the scratching problem mentioned above.

Limsa Lominsa: Dress like you're walking around in San Francisco. It's temperate pretty much all-year round and you don't have as many environmental hazards to worry about (native fauna aside), so you pretty much can wear whatever you'd like. Native Lominsans appear to have a preference for simple open shirts and the like.

That's my 2c. Hope this helps.
Yes! This is the kind of thought out suggestions I was looking for.

Regarding the bandana, I went for it because my characters has only DoMs leveled, and DoH/DoL gear offers only bandanas (I think?). If I'll find a turban I can equip, I'll definitely go for that.

RE: Ethnic Garments - Naunet - 08-14-2014

(08-14-2014, 06:51 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: Dress like you're walking around in San Francisco. It's temperate pretty much all-year round

If by temperate, you mean freezing your butt off cold and windy. @.@ That bay area ocean breeze is... not pleasant.

RE: Ethnic Garments - Gharen - 08-14-2014

Limsa could probably be better related to a place like San Diego, Oceanside, etc rather than San Francisco which pulls down colder temps from the North from time to time.

RE: Ethnic Garments - Naunet - 08-15-2014

(08-14-2014, 08:24 PM)Gharen Wrote: Limsa could probably be better related to a place like San Diego, Oceanside, etc rather than San Francisco which pulls down colder temps from the North from time to time.

Considering the levels of fog Limsa frequently gets, I'm not so sure. The surrounding region's climate, however, strikes me as distinctly Mediterranean (except where it becomes randomly tropical... I don't think SE has ever taking a geography class).

RE: Ethnic Garments - Seriphyn - 08-19-2014

Mediterranean...tropical...well for lower/middle/western La Noscea I get the British Isles impression. White cliffs of Dover, windy...let's not forget Limsa Lominsa has some British/French colonial influences, esp. with the 'tea and crumpets' dialogue you get from the NPC guarding the Command Room. Then north you get subtropical/rainforesty...then further north you get volcanic.

It's actually p diverse when you think about it...

RE: Ethnic Garments - Naunet - 08-19-2014

Eastern Eastern La Noscea, otherwise known as Marseille, France.

Middle La Noscea sure is pretty. Wait, why am I in Italy?

Hey there, Lower La Noscea. Er, I mean... Kekova, Turkey?

And the Sahagin sure do have a pretty tidal flat in Western La Noscea...

But for reals. So Mediterranean it isn't even funny. xD The climate is clearly rather warm/moderate, given the multitude of orchards and whatnots. Limsa seems to be in a bay and thus probably gets some severe bay effect at times, and certainly plenty of fog. The majority of La Noscea is likely moderate to quite warm, though. Certainly not British Isles levels of brisk, unless you're in the middle of a fog. xD

RE: Ethnic Garments - Sounsyy - 08-19-2014

(08-14-2014, 06:30 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: It'd be difficult to 'blend in' with the NPCs of Ul'dah or be a replica since Miqo'te do not appear to be regular citizens of Thanalan, unlike in Gridania or Limsa Lominsa.

Maybe being nitpicky, but considering there's 70 Miqo'te NPCs in Thanalan area, I'd call this inaccurate. Miqo'te will blend right in just as well as other races.

(08-14-2014, 07:34 AM)Blue Wrote: I'm looking for suggestions for equipment combos for ethnic clothing, namely this time around, Ul'dahn attire (though if you want, feel free to post attires you've made up for other regions too).

Ul'dah's clothing seems to be influenced by two main factors: profession and wealth. I'll get into this more as I go through, but in deciding what to wear to "fit in" with the Ul'dahn locals, you might wanna take a look at what your character is profession wise.

So first off we have Merchants. The average merchant around the Sapphire Avenue Exchange and the Ruby Road Exchange appear to wear light colored clothes. Whites, off-whites, greys, light browns, etc. Kurtas and Shepard's Tunics appear to be the main body piece. With a simple white turban on the head. They either have no gloves or half gloves. Shoes are divided among Duckbills and Espadrilles for the most part.

Show Content

Some of the more "well-to-do" merchants mix in some colors with those clothing options. Blues and purples seem to be popular. Also Felt Gowns get thrown into the mix, but this seems to be reserved for well off merchants who own a shop rather than run a stall.

Show Content

Moving on to Trades. This is where you start seeing a bit of variety in clothing based on occupation. Goldsmiths are all about the white Felt Gowns, black Chausses, and black leather shoes. Once again Half Gloves are popular.

Show Content

If we move on to Miners, you see more leather. Jerkins mainly. This is more of the typical Gatherer type gear if you have any of those leveled. The colors seem to range between light to medium brown, and red also seems popular. Hard Leather Shoes for shoes. Chausses or Culottes for pants.

Show Content

Those in the Weaving Trade are all about that purple. Holy cow. Once again, Felt Gowns seem to be the popular choice for Tradesmen and the more prodigious merchants. Berets, no gloves, purple or black tights, and finally... BOOTS! Yay! Try Linen Bottoms for the pants. Gaskins might also work.

Show Content

Finally I'll wrap up with the impoverished and beggars. This is where you get the dark colors. Dark browns and dark greys. Racial undershirts, Slops, Pattens seem more popular than espadrilles for shoeware.

Show Content

Hope that helps! ^^

RE: Ethnic Garments - Seriphyn - 08-20-2014

Quote:Maybe being nitpicky, but considering there's 70 Miqo'te NPCs in Thanalan area, I'd call this inaccurate. Miqo'te will blend right in just as well as other races.

It's not inaccurate. There are no Miqo'te Brass Blades (other than the two members of the Highbridge captain's menage-a-trois), no Miqo'te Immortal Flames, no Miqo'te Sultansworn, no Miqo'te shop owners, no Miqo'te merchants, nobles, miners, and so on. The vast majority of Miqo'te in Thanalan are either U tribe, dancers, or transient (e.g. adventurers, or that Lominsan ship captain in Crescent Cove). Compare this to Gridania and Limsa Lominsa, where Miqo'te are integrated into the city-states as soldiers and traders.

The NPC race selection is meant to reflect Square Enix's lore intentions with each region. For Ul'dah, that is Highlander, Midlander, Hellsguard, and Dunesfolk. People are free to ofc RP a regular citizen of Ul'dah as a Miqo'te, but it shouldn't be unexpected if a character goes "Oh, that's unusual". There is race lore for a reason.

RE: Ethnic Garments - Cato - 08-20-2014

It's a difficult situation since Miqo'te are meant to be reasonably rare - especially the men - but a lot of players have come to ignore that simply because they're the most popular playable race. It's a little irritating to be honest - especially as someone role-playing a tribal Miqo'te who isn't exactly well adjusted in civilised society.